PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best sorcerer and wizard spells?

samcifer
2017-07-26, 03:14 PM
Anyone know of a list of the best spells for sorcerers and wizards? I know there's tons of spells in the 3.5/pathfinder editions and was wondering if anyone had ever compiled a list of the best (ie most effective to use/must-have) spells by level?

samcifer
2017-07-26, 03:37 PM
what about a low level char, say lv. 6? What would be really good spells to pick for that level?

Gildedragon
2017-07-26, 03:48 PM
Anyone know of a list of the best spells for sorcerers and wizards? I know there's tons of spells in the 3.5/pathfinder editions and was wondering if anyone had ever compiled a list of the best (ie most effective to use/must-have) spells by level?
It depends on what roles you want to fill

0) Prestidigitation
1+) Minor Image line
2) Luminous Armor, Rope Trick
3) Haste
4) Dimension Door
5) Fabricate
6) Contingency

2017-07-26, 03:55 PM

There's been a number of people that have made handbooks and optimization guides for the various caster classes of 3.5 and Pathfinder. Seeking those out will give you a good idea of which spells are worth taking, which ones are overpowered, and which ones are trap options.

3.5 Wizard Guide (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471542-Treantmonk-s-Guide-to-Wizards-Being-a-God-in-D-amp-D-3-5-(Treantmonklvl20-CantripN-Tsuyoshi))

Pathfinder Wizard Guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xjPIOH8F8a0l74BdDF7Q23nCfZ-YX68Xr6JmmtznMw4/edit)

Those cover wizard spells, which has a lot of overlap with sorcerer spells. The two editions are pretty similar, so you might experience some deja vu when reading them back to back. The differences between Sorcerer and Wizard class features are almost nonexistent in 3.5, so differences beyond the spells on their list don't matter too much, but in Pathfinder Sorcerer and Wizard class features are very different, so you'd be well advised to look up a PF Sorcerer guide (since some spells would get different ratings due to working better/worse with certain bloodlines).

Pathfinder Sorcerer Handbook (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qUkVlonpJHQhy9jqicCuJDw-kmc1S3eY98GANjIlDkI/edit)

Viciuss
2017-07-26, 04:48 PM
. The differences between Sorcerer and Wizard class features are almost nonexistent in 3.5[/URL]
Wings of Cover, Wings of Flurry and Arcane Fusion/Greater Arcane Fusion say otherwise.

2017-07-26, 04:57 PM
Wings of Cover, Wings of Flurry and Arcane Fusion/Greater Arcane Fusion say otherwise.

Emphasis on class features. I alteady mentioned that there's sorcerer-only spells and that the OP should look them up.

samcifer
2017-07-26, 05:02 PM
It depends on what roles you want to fill

0) Prestidigitation
1+) Minor Image line
2) Luminous Armor, Rope Trick
3) Haste
4) Dimension Door
5) Fabricate
6) Contingency

Well, since playing an arcane striker seems less effective in this edition (I've only ever played 4th), controller wizards, for lack of a better term, seem to do a lot better, so that's my thinking.

Gildedragon
2017-07-26, 05:19 PM
Well, since playing an arcane striker seems less effective in this edition (I've only ever played 4th), controller wizards, for lack of a better term, seem to do a lot better, so that's my thinking.

Yeah. Battlefield control and tactics seem to be the Wizards' key role.

If you wanna play a gosh there's a fair few options too though.

samcifer
2017-07-26, 05:32 PM
I feel best when attacking from range to minimize damage and improve survivability. Are there ally-friendly while enemy-hostile AoE spells?

xkroku
2017-07-26, 05:48 PM
I feel best when attacking from range to minimize damage and improve survivability. Are there ally-friendly while enemy-hostile AoE spells?

If your team is good, and you fight mainly evil guys, you could consider the Purify Spell feat from BoED. A spell modified by this feat deals full damage to evil creatures, half to neutral and none to good. It's +1 tough.

If you don't mind late access, with Archmage levels you can gain Mastery of Shaping which let's you make holes in your spells' areas. This costs a 6th level slot.

Deeds
2017-07-26, 05:54 PM
I'm fond of:

Level 1) Benign Transposition, Ray of Enfeeblement, Nerveskitter, Swift Expeditious Retreat

Level 2) Invisibility, Glitterdust, Rope Trick (extended or caster level 8)

Level 3) Haste, Fly

Level 4) Celerity, Evard's Black Tentacles, Enervation

Level 5) Telekinesis

Raven777
2017-07-26, 06:14 PM
If we keep to the basic spells and assume Pathfinder, this Sorcerer Spell Selection Guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/17S3pYy0wk8uUTJ3RFaIDk5vz29WYmOXuhWiOKHO2E_M/edit) is a really good one.