PDA

View Full Version : Optimize of lay on hands and other things

Halfelf ninja
2017-07-26, 04:07 PM
Hi everyone! In the dnd group im in, we just lost our cleric who was the main healer and such. The party consists of-
Human ranger dual wielder, battle focused
Bard/paladin of freedom halfling archer, skill monkey
Psywarrior human, spiked chain focused
Necropolitan wizard, conjurer/necromancer
And myself, a half elf destined hero (homebrew class from this forum, link below.) Devoted guardian class feature. Point is i got lay on hands from my class, and im looking for ways to optimize it (i got 18 charisma from item) and asked the dm for the bracers of the caduceus. Im taking next level (6) the wild cohort feat to have a mount, and next thing will be spirited charge.
Basiclly i want advise on how to oltimize my lay on hands, and my character as a whole. Thank you!
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?248161-The-Destined-Hero-3-5-Base-Class-PEACH

Darrin
2017-07-27, 10:16 AM
Point is i got lay on hands from my class, and im looking for ways to optimize it (i got 18 charisma from item) and asked the dm for the bracers of the caduceus.

Ok, so... how do I put this delicately... the problem with optimizing Lay On Hands is it's an extremely underwhelming ability to start with, there are almost no feats/abilities that improve it, and even if you could optimize it, it would probably still be pretty underwhelming.

However, let's address your immediate problem: healbot went kablooey. The Player's Guide to Healing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?55951-A-Player-s-Guide-to-Healing-(And-why-you-will-be-Just-Fine-without-a-Cleric-to-heal)) does a pretty decent job of explaining why you don't necessarily need a cleric to heal. For example, get a couple wands of CLW and you've got two PCs (the Ranger and the Bard) that can pick up most of the healing duties. Or have someone pick up the Draconic Aura feat (Races of the Dragon) to grab the Vigor aura (PHBII). I'm also quite fond of dipping into Hellreaver (Fiendish Codex II) for Holy Fury/Divine Succor.

As for Lay On Hands... Action Healing (Faiths of Eberron) lets you use action points to do some additional things with Lay on Hands. Reach looks like it might be useful in certain "gonna die next round" situations. Touch of Silver doesn't work for you because I don't think you get Turn Undead. Hands of the Healer (Book of Exalted Deeds) gives you slightly more HP you can heal, but not enough to be worth a feat slot. Azure Touch (Magic of Incarnum) does something similar, but doesn't carry with it all the headaches of an [Exalted] feat.

I was going to suggest maybe taking Shape Soulmeld: Lifebond Vestments (Magic of Incarnum) to increase how many HP you can heal, but at 1/2 meldshaper level, you don't get much HP to work with. Pair it up with Hidden Talent: Vigor for temp HP, and you can heal up other PCs without doing too much damage to yourself, but getting enough essentia/PP to make it worthwhile is probably going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Halfelf ninja
2017-08-01, 01:11 AM
Thank you very much. I will probably taje the action healing if ill have space, and thats it...i think so. Thank you very much.