PDA

View Full Version : How can someone be fit without going to the gym? Also, I hate sports.

The Eye
2017-07-26, 05:53 PM
I hate sports, it's abominable to me, I hate team based competitions in all forms, in special when its live action and you have to actually talk directly to the person, and I just hate it.

One of the reasons I hate Albert Camus philosophy, is how he keeps acting as if sports were awesome.

In world where this guy (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_ejjSnj8fdQC-JBdekbpzBnNpVEav_fXmchftbc2gPEE7Ex3Z) gets so much more money than (https://charity.org/sites/default/files/styles/flexslider_full/public/multimedia/photos/Doctors%20Without%20Borders5.jpg?itok=VK2CGb0d) these (http://www.teacherrelief.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Loan-Forgiveness-For-Teachers.jpg) guys (https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/1127/_00k2_firefighter.jpg), truly show us how decadent our society really is.

Anyway, my plan for this year was expanding my views and boards, by making friends with different people and interacting more.

Among my new group of friends there are quite a few sports fans, they love to talk about and they love to actually do it. I'm trying to leave my prejudice behind and try to see what they love so much about it.

Many go to the gym, something I will never understand, the fact that people pay to go to machines to suffer pain in other to fit what our society say is beautiful strikes as something out of a dystopian novel or movie.

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w780/wUeE4A81UmWsEHkxaQfdoNqZQiw.jpg

Among my new friends there is a guy, he is very fit, and during our conversations he claims he don't go to the gym and shares my views of how boring and horrible it is.

That strikes me as odd since he is very muscular, like super muscular, with six packs and biceps and large chests and all that stuff. I asked what he did to be so in shape and he says jogging and a thing he calls "calisteniks" or something.

Is that possible? Can someone have such a super hero build without going to such horrible places?

What's his secret? Genetics? Dedication? Steroids? Does he goes to the gym and pretend he doesn't so he will look cool? (and make his weirdo friend ask random people in the internet about it).

I must confess that I don't envy him, since despite some times wanting to have a body like that I like to think I'm above such petty aesthetic thing.

My main discourse is how the world we live in cares more about what we look than what we are, if I go on working on having a body like that I would be betraying my own philosophy so I feel like I should not do it.

Beauty is a transient thing not worth that amount of time and dedication.

I'm just curios. I don’t plan to go against my principles and hatred toward everything sport related.

Comrade
2017-07-26, 06:04 PM
That strikes me as odd since he is very muscular, like super muscular, with six packs and biceps and large chests and all that stuff. I asked what he did to be so in shape and he says jogging and a thing he calls "calisteniks" or something.

Is that possible? Can someone have such a super hero build without going to such horrible places?

Calisthenics, and yes, calisthenic/body weight exercises like push ups, pull ups, dips, crunches, etc, are a great way to build strength and stay in shape.

I don't know why you seem so convinced that going to the gym is a horrific, vain quest with no end goal or purpose except for beauty. You're aware there are health benefits to staying in shape, right?

The Eye
2017-07-26, 06:07 PM
I don't know why you seem so convinced that going to the gym is a horrific, vain quest with no end goal or purpose except for beauty. You're aware there are health benefits to staying in shape, right?

I know that in theory. But from what I see and hear I have my doubts that people (Besides the obese) are doing that for any other reason than vanity, but then again I’m a very judgmental person.

Honest Tiefling
2017-07-26, 06:12 PM
I know that in theory. But from what I see and hear I have my doubts that people (Besides the obese) are doing that for any other reason than vanity, but then again I’m a very judgmental person.

Well, yes. You are. Some people are doing it for vanity, but others want to be in shape or compete. If it isn't harming anyone...Does it matter if they want to be in shape? Their money, their time, their life. I'm not going to say that you can't have clothes you like or do your hair a certain way or keep your body hair a certain way because VAAAAAAANITY. Not my business in the end.

As for finding the Gym boring, bring your phone. I use videos and music to get through boring exercise.

The Eye
2017-07-26, 06:17 PM
Well, yes. You are. Some people are doing it for vanity, but others want to be in shape or compete. If it isn't harming anyone...Does it matter if they want to be in shape? Their money, their time, their life.

If I see someone wasting their time to fulfill a social construct of beauty, I will comment about.

If you saw someone trying to put the ocean inside a water bottle one drop at a time, wouldn't you point out how inane that is? Same thing.

Recherché
2017-07-26, 06:21 PM
I don't work out at a gym exactly but I run an average of 2.5 miles every day. Podcasts help a lot with making it entertaining while I get my exercise in.

Rynjin
2017-07-26, 06:24 PM
There's plenty of stuff you can do without going to the gym. In fact, I'd say most gym memberships are entirely worthless with the exception of easy access to varying sizes of weights and weight machines, but that can be worked around. The main exception is memberships that include access to a (well trained and knowledgeable) personal trainer or similar, but those are usually pretty expensive.

I'm not fit by any means (though not too unfit either), but that's more a lack of dedication and a bit of depression induced demotivation than anything. It takes a lot of work but you can get a fit, healthy (potentially even healthier than a gym rat physique since most weight training is completely pointless or even somewhat detrimental past a point) body doing entirely equipment-less exercises. Jogging/running, pushups, sit ups, crunches, pull ups (you can use a sturdy doorframe for this), swimming laps, yoga/stretches, etc., etc. Along with a reasonably healthy diet, of course.

You just have to want to do it, plan it out, and stick with it. It's work, sure, it's going to eat into your free time a fair bit, and the results are pretty slow (climbing out of this hole I've dug myself into has been an ordeal), but it's very doable.

Quite frankly I think your doubts are just veiled envy. Don't get me wrong, there certainly ARE people who are just in it for vanity, or who are really judgmental towards people who don't eat, sleep, and breathe the gym rat lifestyle, but those are the vast minority. Lumping everybody who works out into this category of "self-obsessed jerks who are being held down by the systematic oppression of our bogus beauty standards, man" is just a way to make yourself feel better for not pursuing a healthier lifestyle.

It's okay to be unhealthy. Being disparaging of those that are, however, is not.

Razade
2017-07-26, 06:24 PM
If I see someone wasting their time to fulfill a social construct of beauty, I will comment about.

If you saw someone trying to put the ocean inside a water bottle one drop at a time, wouldn't you point out how inane that is? Same thing.

False equivalency hooo!!

A person's business is none of yours unless it's hurting you or someone else. You certainly can comment on it but when most people go "you're being absurd, keep your nose out" they're well within their right (and justified...unlike you) in doing so.

The Eye
2017-07-26, 06:35 PM
A person's business is none of yours unless it's hurting you or someone else.

Why?

You certainly can comment on it but when most people go "you're being absurd, keep your nose out" they're well within their right (and justified...unlike you) in doing so.

I never said they weren't.

Comrade
2017-07-26, 06:37 PM
Why?

There's no why to it, man, this is a basic aspect of adulthood: knowing when to mind your own business. You've got no right to shove your opinions on working out down the throats of others (especially when they come laden with suggestions that people who maintain workout regiments are vain or stupid), and if you decide to do it anyway, you've got no right to be surprised or unhappy if people find you obnoxious.

Razade
2017-07-26, 06:43 PM
Why?

Basic human etiquette.

The Eye
2017-07-26, 06:47 PM
There's no why to it, man, this is a basic aspect of adulthood: knowing when to mind your own business. You've got no right to shove your opinions on working out down the throats of others (especially when they come laden with suggestions that people who maintain workout regiments are vain or stupid), and if you decide to do it anyway, you've got no right to be surprised or unhappy if people find you obnoxious.

Well, what's the difference between saying your opinion and "Shove your opinions on working out down the throats of others" besides I never said they were stupid.

Most of the best experiences I had interacting with other humans was when I said something I believed or didn't understood, and then the other person said their views and we had an exchange of experiences. It's fun. Doesn’t that mean I was being a huge jerk the whole time?

Razade
2017-07-26, 06:58 PM
Well, what's the difference between saying your opinion and "Shove your opinions on working out down the throats of others" besides I never said they were stupid.

You accused people who work out as being only interested in their looks, that they're only doing it for vanity. You certainly didn't call them stupid. You went way worse.

Most of the best experiences I had interacting with other humans was when I said something I believed or didn't understood, and then the other person said their views and we had an exchange of experiences. It's fun. Doesn’t that mean I was being a huge jerk the whole time?

Considering you demonstrate your lack of basic human understanding I don't actually believe you've had any such encounters.

The Eye
2017-07-26, 07:06 PM
You accused people who work out as being only interested in their looks, that they're only doing it for vanity. You certainly didn't call them stupid. You went way worse.

It’s called being vain, although I think narcissistic can also be used. And it’s not THAT bad at least in our society.

We live in a very vain and narcissistic, social media are an example of that, you may even say it’s a virtue nowadays.

Just because I’m pointing that out doesn’t mean I’m offending you. If you are getting offended it's your fault. i'm responsible for what i say not how you feel or how you read it.

Razade
2017-07-26, 07:24 PM
No one's offended by what you say, we're just pointing out (as every one of your threads seems to devolve into) why you're operating on a fairly absurd frame of reference. I don't honestly care what you believe because, as stated, as long as you're not hurting anyone you're free to believe and say whatever it is you want to. You asked why it was impolite to stick your nose in people's business and I answered the question. If that's a problem for you, then maybe you should review your own actions.

Self reflection does a body good.

Rain Dragon
2017-07-26, 07:27 PM
As the guy in the OP said, calisthenics are great.

Re - Are gym goers vain narcissists? No.
I don't go to a gym because it's expensive to me and I don't really like the vibe or using weight machines. But when I've laxed in things like walking or some exercises then I haven't been feeling as great as usual. I'd feel less able to move as well and even feel a bit less awake (idk maybe I'm weird). It's also nice to not get tired after walking for a while or have troubles with heavy stuff I should be able to pick up.

I think a lot of people feel better with exercise and if the gym's where they do it, great

The Eye
2017-07-26, 07:29 PM
It's not like I randomly pop up in front of someone scream "You are wrong and stupid, I’m judging you so hard right now!" then I throw a smoke bomb and jump down the window saying "The Eye away!!!" I'm a reserved person, I rarely talk, I just use the internet to share my inner most toughs.

Icewraith
2017-07-26, 07:53 PM
There's plenty of stuff you can do without going to the gym. In fact, I'd say most gym memberships are entirely worthless with the exception of easy access to varying sizes of weights and weight machines, but that can be worked around. The main exception is memberships that include access to a (well trained and knowledgeable) personal trainer or similar, but those are usually pretty expensive.

I'm not fit by any means (though not too unfit either), but that's more a lack of dedication and a bit of depression induced demotivation than anything. It takes a lot of work but you can get a fit, healthy (potentially even healthier than a gym rat physique since most weight training is completely pointless or even somewhat detrimental past a point) body doing entirely equipment-less exercises. Jogging/running, pushups, sit ups, crunches, pull ups (you can use a sturdy doorframe for this), swimming laps, yoga/stretches, etc., etc. Along with a reasonably healthy diet, of course.

You just have to want to do it, plan it out, and stick with it. It's work, sure, it's going to eat into your free time a fair bit, and the results are pretty slow (climbing out of this hole I've dug myself into has been an ordeal), but it's very doable.

Quite frankly I think your doubts are just veiled envy. Don't get me wrong, there certainly ARE people who are just in it for vanity, or who are really judgmental towards people who don't eat, sleep, and breathe the gym rat lifestyle, but those are the vast minority. Lumping everybody who works out into this category of "self-obsessed jerks who are being held down by the systematic oppression of our bogus beauty standards, man" is just a way to make yourself feel better for not pursuing a healthier lifestyle.

It's okay to be unhealthy. Being disparaging of those that are, however, is not.

Weight training is time-efficient, especially for people looking to lose weight. You can do a twenty minute workout with weights or two hours of cardio and get more weight loss benefits from the weight training. Big muscles are actually in and of themselves useful for losing weight since they require more calories to operate, relative to having the same amount of extra tissue as fat.

Also, sit-ups and crunches suck. Save your back the trouble and do squats instead. Squats work the legs and entire core instead of just the abs with one movement. Push-ups and pull-ups are good though, and if you really hate any kind of strength training but like to jog by all means do what you enjoy. But if you don't like working out but want a healthier body and want to make the best use of your time, strength training is the way to go.

Murmaider
2017-07-26, 08:15 PM
How about you just go to the gym with these guys and tell us how horrible it was afterwards? Or go outside and do some bodyweight exercises with the other guy. Then ask us if people judge you, when they see you training:smalltongue:

Also, sit-ups and crunches suck. Save your back the trouble and do squats instead. Squats work the legs and entire core instead of just the abs with one movement.

Sit-ups and crunches are fine, if you're doing them right and squats certainly won't replace a good abb-workout.

Dr.Samurai
2017-07-26, 08:31 PM
Many go to the gym, something I will never understand, the fact that people pay to go to machines to suffer pain in other to fit what our society say is beautiful strikes as something out of a dystopian novel or movie.
I can't roll my eyes as hard as this comment justifies.

Okay, so you're aware that you're judgemental. That's a good start. And you feel that people shouldn't be easily offended. Ok great. This is a good base to start totally changing your perception of things. Because you really need to grow out of this "oh god everyone is so awful and superficial and I'm the only one that gets life".

Because... like the exact opposite of that is true. People go to the gym for many reasons. Being vain might be one of them, but that's fine. People are allowed to have a vice. Other people go to lose weight. Other people go to maintain their weight because they can't look at a hamburger without gaining five pounds. Some people just want to be active (as being sedentary has been found to be worse than being overweight according to some studies). Some people are there for physical therapy. Some people are training. Some people just want to look good.

You don't go to the gym because you're caught up on the reasons that other people go to the gym. As far as reasons for not going to the gym go, this is by far one of the dumbest ones. Don't get caught up in the whats and whys of other people. You're letting them control you by virtue of your judgement. You ascribe to them negative traits, and then say "I don't want to be like that". Don't do that. When you see someone at the gym, you don't know why they are there. You just invent it in your head, and then proceed with judging and excusing yourself from working out because you're better than that.

Seriously... you're getting bent out of shape because someone looks at themselves in the mirror after doing a set? You think you're virtuous for not caring how you look? Sorry, but you're not. We can value more than one thing at a time. I can value you for your mind, and for the way you take care of yourself. If you have something brilliant to share with me, but your hair is a tangled rat's nest, your teeth are yellow and your breath stinks, and your clothes are piss-stained and you smell like ****... I won't give you the time of day. You are offending my senses.

Come on, The Eye. You're not better than anyone. You're human. It's fine not to like sport. I don't care for sports. My friends do, so I go to games with them or go over to watch games at their apartments. I don't get "sports" like they do. But I don't shunt myself to the next level of human evolution and transcendence because "derp, I don't get it, it's just guys hitting each other, you're all stupid".

In other words, try to not understand other people without the super judgemental superiority complex.

Among my new friends there is a guy, he is very fit, and during our conversations he claims he don't go to the gym and shares my views of how boring and horrible it is.

Yes. He can do exercises simply using his body weight. Stuff like push ups, pull ups, leg raises, etc. And of course cardio.

I must confess that I don't envy him, since despite some times wanting to have a body like that I like to think I'm above such petty aesthetic thing.
But you're not above it. You know who's above it? People that don't care about other people going to the gym to look good. For you, it bothers you. I don't know what you look like, but I imagine you making a disgusted look on your face when you talk about this. You're not above it. It bugs you.

My main discourse is how the world we live in cares more about what we look than what we are, if I go on working on having a body like that I would be betraying my own philosophy so I feel like I should not do it.
This is just not true. I could look like a super model and if I'm a total *******, most people won't like me. Some people will, yes, of course. But most people won't.

Yeah, that goes for literally everything in the grand scheme of things kiddo. Not deep at all.

thorgrim29
2017-07-26, 09:08 PM
I work out to keep my stomach in check and because when I don't for a while I feel like crap and my back hurts, but thanks for telling me my secret reasons man. I happen to also hate going to the gym alone but I like group high intensity training (I do crossfit now because I found a place I like and I enjoy the mix of cardio, calisthenics and weightlifting, but I've attended other types and they're all pretty fun... Also a good place to meet fit girls). I imagine it would also be a good way to socialize and grow out of the insufferable teenager phase you seem to be stuck in.

Recherché
2017-07-26, 09:32 PM
If I get too out of shape it makes my back problems worse and then it frigging hurts. Also jogging to work means that I spend less money on gas at the same time. Vanity is far from the only reason to work out.

Frozen_Feet
2017-07-26, 10:20 PM
Bodyweight training includes all movements you could do at a gym using machines or weights; the only difference is where the resistance comes from. Hence it's possible to work all the same muscles with or without a gym. There are dozens of fitness systems which you can use at home, from Pilates to various forms of yoga and martial arts.

Also, you know, sports. Though most amateur and professional sportspeople supplement their sport and bodyweight exerises with gym training.

It really shouldn't be so hard to see the appeal. Yes, you can improve your looks, lose weight etc. by working out. But physical activity is rewarding on its own as well - it releases endorphins etc. hormones associated with pleasure. Pain is just one half of it. And in the long run, moderate levels of sports tend to decrease pain and health issues, as they prevent issues like back pains from weak core muscles.

It's also hilarious you woe how firefighters get less pay than NHL stars. Firefighting is one of the most physically demanding jobs there is, working out to stay fit is practically a requirement, to the point where it's not uncommon for firestations to have gyms of their own. Many firefighters also do amateur teamsports, or did when young. In places where ice hockey is popular, there is actually notably overlap between people who become firefighters and people who become hockey players.

The same holds to greater or lesser extent for all physical occupations. Hating sports is really counterproductive if you do any such labour, as not doing sports to balance out work is a great way to acrue injury or health issues as you age.

anjxed
2017-07-26, 10:41 PM
but then again I’m a very judgmental person.

THIS. This sums up every one of your topics. So yea, I think instead of wondering why people do things. Ask yourself why am I judgmental.

2D8HP
2017-07-26, 10:47 PM
I'm with you The Eye, time spent in a gym is boring!

What's not boring?

Exploring!

Get a bicycle, or very good shoes.

Also not boring?

Boating!

Knaight
2017-07-26, 11:53 PM
I'd add rock climbing walls to that list - and it's a pretty significant list. Weights are ridiculously expensive even if you have the space for them, and then there's a good chance that you'll have to shell out some money for a specialized lifting platform as well. Rock climbing walls are entirely out of the budget of anyone who's not in the habit of assigning specialized activity rooms in their mansion, with even rock climbing equipment being pretty pricey (and I really wouldn't recommend going anywhere near an actual climb unless you're already in good shape).

What's not boring?

Exploring!

Also not boring?

Boating!
This I'd agree with - not in an absolute sense, but in the sense of how some people (myself included) find stationary bicycles and rowing machines incredibly tedious, while actual bicycles and boats that involve rowing (or paddling, it's not like a kayak or canoe doesn't get you exercise) are downright fun. It's generally worth looking into, and boat rental for kayaks and canoes is pretty comparable with a gym membership and use of a rowing machine unless it's incredibly constant.

paddyfool
2017-07-27, 12:15 AM
@Icewraith

Agreed with what you said until:

Also, sit-ups and crunches suck. Save your back the trouble and do squats instead. Squats work the legs and entire core instead of just the abs with one movement.

Not what I've been taught, which is that you must must do other core training, particularly planks, leg raises etc in order to squat safely, since you need the core to be strong first.

scalyfreak
2017-07-27, 12:29 AM
Not what I've been taught, which is that you must must do other core training, particularly planks, leg raises etc in order to squat safely, since you need the core to be strong first.

I was just about to comment on this. I am fully behind ditching crunches and sit-ups because they do suck as far as an all-around core exercise goes.

Just drop to the floor and do a plank when you're done with those squats. They will be perfectly safe as long as your form is correct and you don't over-do the weight. But do those planks if you ever want that weight to increase above what you started with.

paddyfool
2017-07-27, 12:44 AM
Overall on the thread:

The Eye, I think that you've fallen into a trap by attaching your antipathy for competitive sport and beauty culture to all working out. There are many reasons to get regular exercise (of a kind you enjoy, which for me is also neither competitive sport not the gym). Here are some:

- Mental wellbeing and discipline. The link from a healthy body to a healthy mind is recognised in cultures from hundreds of years of Shaolin monastic traditions to ancient Rome to the present day. Physical activity can even be helpful in reducing your risks of / managing anxiety, depression, and many other mental health complaints.

- Physical health. If you stay physically active, you'll be healthier. As shown in a thousand medical studies, going back at least as far as Gerry Morris' studies in the 1950s, where he found that bus conductors (who walked up and down buses all the time checking people's tickets) lived on average five years longer than bus drivers (who sat down at work all the time), despite very similar lifestyles otherwise. Exercise well and you'll be doing your body good in many ways - heart, lungs, blood pressure control, bone strength (which will matter when you're old), joint support, pain control, reducing your risk of back injuries or hernias if you have good core muscles, reducing your risk of diabetes etc.

- Fun and enjoyment. I always hated competitive sport at school. But subsequently I found casually doing sports of various kinds to actually be fun, when I was doing them in my own time, on my terms voluntarily. I also had a lot of fun with activities from dance to martial arts to mucking around in boats to climbing and hiking. Even walking or cycling to work feels more enjoyable to me than using a car or public transport.

- Being able to respond well to a physical emergency. If/when something goes wrong in your life or to people around you, and you'd want to, say, be able to literally carry a friend or child out of a bad situation, it would be good to be able to, don't you think?

- Looking better. Yes, It's a thing, but as this list will show you, far from the only thing. I'm far from beauty-culture obsessed. I don't moisturise, don't cut my hair as often as I should, don't wear fragrances, generally dress down etc. But people notice if your body looks physically healthy and they comment on it. Even if you don't take it to the level of having a six pack or whatever.

Starwulf
2017-07-27, 01:19 AM
Working out is also a good thing for people with diabetes, it helps keep our blood sugar levels down, which in turn make our A1c levels down, which makes our doctors very happy with us. Sadly I can't "work" out, but I do like to go on 15-20 minute walks, which always does wonders for my blood sugar levels, and it also burns off some excess calories and helps keep my weight down, which ALSO makes my body healthier and helps me produce more insulin naturally, thus again, keeping my blood sugar/A1c levels down. Lots and lots of "health" reasons to work out to the best of ones abilities, I'd honestly wager that most people that do work out, are doing so for the health benefits, as opposed to the vanity reasons you ascribe to them.

A.A.King
2017-07-27, 02:34 AM
If you're going to complain about an Athlete earning more than Doctors, Teachers and Firemen (and I assume you used a picture of someone from Doctors without Borders because the regular ones seem to do just fine money wise) then I wonder what your opinion is on Singers, Actors and Writers? I'm not an American so I don't know who 'this guy' is but I am assuming he is a top athlete and as such a top earner, yet he probably has less money in the bank then top earners from those three professions. Are people like Tom Cruise, Taylor Swift and G.R.R. Martin not even better examples then of how decadent our society really is or are you only complaining about people earning money from things you don't enjoy? (or do you only like things from people without huge bankouts? I don't know your taste so I had to pick generic rich names).

I mean, I can understand not enjoying watching sports, I'm not exactly a fan myself. I mean, I enjoy the ones where it is my nation versus your nation (and even then I only really enjoy it when my nation's team crushes your nation's team) but outside of that basic narrative I've not yet found one I enjoy watching as a regular competition. However, doing sports? I have always enjoyed that. Even the ones I'm not particular good at. Why? Well, it's something you can do with friends which to most people is a bonus but beyond that there are two simple reasons to enjoy sports and exercise: 1) It releases Endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. 2) It's a simple accomplishment. It feels good to tire yourself out on one those fake-bikes to nowhere because once you're done your body tells you that you've been active. I mean, if you want to believe that there is no value to exercise other than vanity reasons this might not work for you but if you know that exercise is healthy and that you really should be more healthy then even the occasional 30 minute work-out can really make you feel like you've done something to improve yourself (even if you go and reward yourself with a big mac afterwards...). Bascially, exercise can give you the same feeling smug people get from eating a carrot in front of you (except this time it's an actual accomplishment of some sort).

However, if you're going to say that you hate team based sports because they make you "have to actually talk directly to the person" then I would argue your problem isn't with sports it's with 'people' in general, which no amount of logic and arguments can solve.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-07-27, 03:26 AM
Working out is also a good thing for people with diabetes

True!

Anyway, I agree with the prevailing view that The Eye is

operating on a fairly absurd frame of reference
so I won't bother repeating what's already been said.

I just thought I'd share some personal experiences. Everyone I know who goes to the gym was originally sent there by their doctor: my dad and my aunt have high blood pressure, my sister and I both have problems with our tendons and my other gym-going friend was injured in a car accident and needed the gym for rehab. None of us were particularly into sport or exercise before but all of us have kept up the gym habit, because we've found it enjoyable, beneficial or both.

For me, I'm quite lazy, so I find that going to the gym helps me focus on exercising for a solid chunk of time with no distractions or excuses. I don't know where the OP's gotten the impression that gyms are torture chambers; that's not true at all. They're bright, clean, safe and (in my experience) tolerant places. It's only as painful as you want* it to be - no one's forcing you to do anything super-intense or beyond your ability (indeed, that would be dangerously irresponsible), and it's not like you have to go every day. As for preening, vain gym-bros... they're a tiny minority. Most of the people I see at the gym are there to lose weight or stay healthy.

*And, bear in mind, the additional endorphins that are released during exercise generally compensate for the physical pain involved.

Xyril
2017-07-27, 04:01 AM
In world where this guy (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_ejjSnj8fdQC-JBdekbpzBnNpVEav_fXmchftbc2gPEE7Ex3Z) gets so much more money than (https://charity.org/sites/default/files/styles/flexslider_full/public/multimedia/photos/Doctors%20Without%20Borders5.jpg?itok=VK2CGb0d) these (http://www.teacherrelief.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Loan-Forgiveness-For-Teachers.jpg) guys (https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/1127/_00k2_firefighter.jpg), truly show us how decadent our society really is.

No, it just shows us how the free market works and that you have problems making proper comparisons. It's illogical for you to compare top earning athletes to doctors working for a non-profit organization (in other words, doctors who made a deliberate choice to take a job earning less than they could with their abilities.) If you take the average actor, athlete, model, or singer, he or she makes less than the average doctor or teacher (especially if you include the private sector.) If you look at a top earning doctor who only practices medicine, they're making more than many of the players in the NBA--even the least talented are whom are among the best at what they do. And if you look at doctors making money outside of practicing--folks who do private research or started a medical devices or services company, basically any job that isn't treating patients but is still requires an experienced doctor--I would guess that they make as much money as even the top professional athletes.

The other thing you forget (or ignore) is the nature of the work itself. If I had to put a dollar value on good medicare care, I would place it far above the value of entertainment. The free market seems to agree with me, and that's as it should be. However, there is a limit to how much medicare care a doctor can "sell." A doctor has a limited amount of time to see patients. Even if he's charging $500 an hour for his time alone, he'll have to work long hours to break $1 million a year. In contrast, if you're an actor, or a writer, or an athlete, you have to option of a different way to monetize. There is no theoretical limit on the number of books or tickets you can sell, or the number of people can watch you.

Let's imagine that I am willing and able to pay $500 an hour for a doctor. I value a certain book 2% as much, so I'm willing to pay $10 for the book. I like watching basketball, but not enough to pay for it, so I watch it on free TV--obviously, the value I place on basketball is several orders of magnitude less than what I place on medical care. However, the doctor can only work for 60 billable hours a week, so he makes a bit over $1 million a year helping a few hundred patients. The author of that book gets $5 out of every book sale, and I'm not the only one who likes him, so he sells a million copies and makes $5 million. He makes 5 times more than the doctor despite the fact that each individual values his work less than medical care. A popular basketball player is valued by the team because they think he helps attract viewers and sell ads. Since there are so many players and other people who contribute to the popularity of the team, the popular player only gets a small share of the total advertising revenue--a mere ten cents per viewer per game. However, the team is quite popular and has 50 million viewers per game. Thus, the athlete can make more in a game than the doctor does in a year, despite the fact that most individual people value healthcare enough to pay thousands of dollars, but don't pay a cent to watch basketball.

That, or they want to increase (or regain) their physical abilities or improve their health.

It was once possible, but the Red Skull's men killed the scientist who invented it and destroyed all his research, and thus far all attempts to replicate it have failed.

What's his secret? Genetics? Dedication? Steroids? Does he goes to the gym and pretend he doesn't so he will look cool? (and make his weirdo friend ask random people in the internet about it).

He already told you his secret. You were just too lazy to google it. (It's spelled "calisthenics," but even if you type it in your way Google would know what you mean.) Resistance training is one of the more efficient ways to build bulk, but it's not the only way. Also, building bulk isn't all there is to looking muscular. A lot of reasonably active people have a six pack in there--it's trimming all that excess fat that lets it show.

fire_insideout
2017-07-27, 04:11 AM
I was just about to comment on this. I am fully behind ditching crunches and sit-ups because they do suck as far as an all-around core exercise goes.

Just drop to the floor and do a plank when you're done with those squats. They will be perfectly safe as long as your form is correct and you don't over-do the weight. But do those planks if you ever want that weight to increase above what you started with.

Agreed, a strong core is super-important if you want to have a good squat. I see a lot of people failing their squats not because they lack leg strength, but because their core cannot hold the pressure from the bar. This is especially important if you're not super mobile and fall forward a lot in your squat which will put a lot more stress on your core.

Florian
2017-07-27, 06:24 AM
I can actually get not liking "team-based competition". That should be friendly, all too often, it is not and only done for personal gratification.
But: Fitness requires a lot of disciple, first to get it started, later to not be slack with it. Depending on taste, you either build up the discipline to do it alone, have some form of "friendly competition" by doing it with a group or you find it encouraging to directly compete against other. Your cup of tea.

I´m not a friend of gyms either, but mainly because of the often attached "gym culture". Still, they are a good starting point to get the basics right when you have a good trainer, as they can evaluate and correct wat you´re doing before any harm can come from it.

Personally, I like a mix of T´ai Chi and basic calisthenics. As for why, simple healthcare reasons. Better cardio and lungs, less fat, make life with what is basically an office job better and also helps with the seasonal allergies.

Cozzer
2017-07-27, 07:19 AM
Disregarding the whole "above this petty vanity" thing since I am above that petty vanity (but apparently not above the petty vanity of declaring I'm above other kinds of petty vanities), it's very possible to be and look extremely fit without ever going to a gym. I have a friend who looks fitter than most gym-rats, and he just did a reasonable amount of bodyweight exercises each day (or almost each day) for a long time. You just need to choose the right kind of exercises, and know when to change them so that you keep challenging yourself when you get to a plateau.

As in most things, constance and time are the keys to success, more than intensity.

Sobol
2017-07-27, 08:16 AM
Many go to the gym, something I will never understand, the fact that people pay to go to machines to suffer pain
I exercise chiefly for pleasure and mental health.

Of course, physical health is good, too; but it's not my main goal.

Exercise gives your brain a high-quality rest (and I need it much: I'm a mathematician and do a lot of mental work).

That's something professional chess players understood long ago (about the middle of the 20th century) - that you shouldn't just sit all day long with a board analyzing positions. Look at the latest World Chess Championship, for example: both contestants had official physical trainers (Brede Kvisvik for Magnus Carlsen, Anna Chakvetadze for Sergey Karjakin).

I was given an applied problem once which I couldn't solve no matter how hard I thought. Then I went to the gym to get distracted - and during French press the solution appeared in my head.

Physical exercise calms you down, clears your mind, drives away dark and compulsive thoughts, gives you inner peace.

Last year I met a 70-year-old woman in my gym who told me she lost her son and started to work out to fight depression. She did pretty well for her age.

Yes, when starting to exercise after a long interval - it's "suffering." But you remember that in a short while, your muscles will adapt and the joy will return again.

Also, it's just entertaining. Kind of like upgrading your character in a game - and even more absorbing. Getting XP, watching your stats go up, reaching new levels...

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/exercise.png
There may be many other reasons to exercise. Improving your self-assertion, for example.
Not just getting stronger.

Also, google "runner's high."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurobiological_effects_of_physical_exercise#Eupho ria

FinnLassie
2017-07-27, 08:26 AM
I avoid gyms purely due to how expensive they are for my student budget, as well as the fact that when I went to a gym YEARS ago, I got bullied there. Just leaves a bad taste. The guys who did so were douchebags, and in the end a minority, but hurtful nevertheless.

Nothing against gyms, though. Some find it more convenient. I'm gonna stick to cycling and planking for now, maybe getting weights later this year.

Honestly. It's fussy to think about people's interests from such a negative light. Majority of the people that go to the gym I bet find it very enjoyable to themselves.

paddyfool
2017-07-27, 08:46 AM
One more tiny point on the sportspeople's salaries: for those at the top of the game the salaries are indeed huge, while they're young. But they won't be earning those salaries past a certain point in their thirties or so, and will generally have to then seek alternative work. Or survive on what they saved in their peak years.

But yes, it's kind of crazy that some people earn in a day more than many others in the same society earn in a year.

Tyndmyr
2017-07-27, 09:23 AM

Running a mile is exactly as healthy if you're doing it outta vanity or concern for your health. Note that caring about how you look can also be practical for a number of reasons. Plenty of social advantages to be had by being attractive. Now, this ain't really something I pursue, but it's not irrational or anything.

Your body doesn't really care why you place demands on it. Going to the gym or not is ultimately up to you, and you can certainly work out in all manner of other ways. Manual labor can be good exercise, so shufflin' boxes around, chopping wood, or whatever else on the regular can be quite healthy. If your lifestyle doesn't offer this, a gym might be more convenient than other things. But if you wanna buy a bike and bike around your neighborhood, that's fine too. Or do the same exercises at home. Nothing magic about the gym.

anjxed
2017-07-27, 10:06 AM
To be on topic though, exercising is one way to stay healthy. Seriously, even if you are not obese or anything. There will come a time that you will need your strength or endurance or whatever to help get you through.

Ps. I think you are a troll. Seriously

obryn
2017-07-27, 10:38 AM
Wow.

OP, are you serious here, or are you putting us on?

I don't think you need a gym or an understanding of sports. I think you need to re-evaluate your approach to other people and life's experiences. You sound angry and discontented, with a lack of empathy for people who view life differently. It's not "I don't like sports," it's a tirade about how enjoyment of sport is immoral. It's not "I don't like going to the gym," it's "the gym is symbolic of vanity and vain people go there."

It sounds pretty miserable.

Comrade
2017-07-27, 11:25 AM
Wow.

OP, are you serious here, or are you putting us on?

I don't think you need a gym or an understanding of sports. I think you need to re-evaluate your approach to other people and life's experiences. You sound angry and discontented, with a lack of empathy for people who view life differently. It's not "I don't like sports," it's a tirade about how enjoyment of sport is immoral. It's not "I don't like going to the gym," it's "the gym is symbolic of vanity and vain people go there."

It sounds pretty miserable.

This is par for the course from The Eye. They have a bad habit of creating threads with seemingly innocuous purposes ('How can someone be fit without going to the gym?' 'Why do people care so much about appearance?') and then using the initial premise to spiral off into vitriol against... something or other. People have advised them to keep their invective and judgement to themselves (or, if they're just trolling, to quit wasting their time), but as this thread attests, they've not taken that advice.

The Eye
2017-07-27, 11:43 AM
I wonder what your opinion is on Singers, Actors and Writers?

I love acting, it's a great form of art, but it's also stupid that they are able to buy huge houses and make more money than some people will make in a lifetime.

They are also part of the "looks are more important than what you do" segment I hate.

EDIT: Besides I'm not in favor of living a non-active life, I just think that people can be active without doing inane tasks. Such as jumping up and down in the same spot, or riding a bike that takes you nowhere. I’m sorry if such opinions were offensive, that’s not what I meant.

Rynjin
2017-07-27, 12:15 PM
Weight training is time-efficient, especially for people looking to lose weight. You can do a twenty minute workout with weights or two hours of cardio and get more weight loss benefits from the weight training. Big muscles are actually in and of themselves useful for losing weight since they require more calories to operate, relative to having the same amount of extra tissue as fat.

Also, sit-ups and crunches suck. Save your back the trouble and do squats instead. Squats work the legs and entire core instead of just the abs with one movement. Push-ups and pull-ups are good though, and if you really hate any kind of strength training but like to jog by all means do what you enjoy. But if you don't like working out but want a healthier body and want to make the best use of your time, strength training is the way to go.

Like I said, "after a point", not "completely pointless entirely". If you're weight training to the point it starts to impact your flexibility (like a lot of people seem to see as the ideal) you've gone too far.

I'd add rock climbing walls to that list - and it's a pretty significant list. Weights are ridiculously expensive even if you have the space for them, and then there's a good chance that you'll have to shell out some money for a specialized lifting platform as well. Rock climbing walls are entirely out of the budget of anyone who's not in the habit of assigning specialized activity rooms in their mansion, with even rock climbing equipment being pretty pricey (and I really wouldn't recommend going anywhere near an actual climb unless you're already in good shape).

I've never been to a gym with a rock wall. If I wasn't so irrationally afraid of heights I'd seek one out, it sounds neat.

Sobol
2017-07-27, 12:35 PM
Besides I'm not in favor of living a non-active life, I just think that people can be active without doing inane tasks. Such as jumping up and down in the same spot, or riding a bike that takes you nowhere.
You can work as a builder's laborer, a stevedore... Doing something useful and getting enough physical activity at the same time.

But people can't be all physical workers. Those who write computer programs etc. - have to get their physical activity elsewhere.

warty goblin
2017-07-27, 12:40 PM
EDIT: Besides I'm not in favor of living a non-active life, I just think that people can be active without doing inane tasks. Such as jumping up and down in the same spot, or riding a bike that takes you nowhere. I’m sorry if such opinions were offensive, that’s not what I meant.

My job is sitting in front of a computer for eight hours a day, five days a week. There is basically no way to make this actually active, which is fine.

So I do active stuff in the evening. Usually weights, followed by running. I'm sure some people would consider running the same couple of routes all the time inane, but it's quite often the best part of my day. Besides the health benefits, I find it improves my clarity of thought and general mental state immensely, and enduring the discomfort it involves substantially improves my mood. Weights and such are boring, but I enjoy being strong enough to do things with my body that my desk job alone wouldn't allow. And yeah, I like the way I look because of it, the first day I noticed I had visible stomach muscles or biceps that noticeably flexed were exciting. I'm unsure why exactly wanting to be somebody my girlfriend finds attractive is a bad thing.

SaintRidley
2017-07-27, 02:30 PM
I'm above such petty aesthetic thing.

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w780/wUeE4A81UmWsEHkxaQfdoNqZQiw.jpg

*snip*

So above being petty about aesthetics.

2D8HP
2017-07-27, 05:51 PM
I love acting, it's a great form of art, but it's also stupid that they are able to buy huge houses and make more money than some people will make in a lifetime.....

:amused:

You're prechin' to the choir here! I see Eye to Eye with you, The Eye!

AFTER THE REVOLUTION COMES, and I'M KING OF CALIFORNIA, those overpaid folks will GET THEIR WAGONS FIXED!!!

After the AD&D RE-EDUCATION CAMPS are established OF COURSE.

:wink:

But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Brother Oni
2017-07-27, 06:27 PM
That's something professional chess players understood long ago (about the middle of the 20th century) - that you shouldn't just sit all day long with a board analyzing positions. Look at the latest World Chess Championship, for example: both contestants had official physical trainers (Brede Kvisvik for Magnus Carlsen, Anna Chakvetadze for Sergey Karjakin).

The advantages of physical fitness has been well understood since ancient times - Socrates himself had a saying (paraphrased): “No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable”.
His student Plato's name was derived from platon meaning 'broad' as a indicator of his physically robust figure.

Some more digging has indicated that the Buddha also has words on the subject, but I'm unsure I can quote them on this site.

tomandtish
2017-07-27, 07:19 PM
Working out is also a good thing for people with diabetes, it helps keep our blood sugar levels down, which in turn make our A1c levels down, which makes our doctors very happy with us. Sadly I can't "work" out, but I do like to go on 15-20 minute walks, which always does wonders for my blood sugar levels, and it also burns off some excess calories and helps keep my weight down, which ALSO makes my body healthier and helps me produce more insulin naturally, thus again, keeping my blood sugar/A1c levels down. Lots and lots of "health" reasons to work out to the best of ones abilities, I'd honestly wager that most people that do work out, are doing so for the health benefits, as opposed to the vanity reasons you ascribe to them.

Have to second this. I dropped my A1c from 9.0 to 4.9 in a year just by some minor diet changes and walking regularly.

Shamash
2017-07-27, 08:28 PM
"Self love my liege is not so vile a sin as self neglect".

I totally get this hateful attitude toward sports; I also had this conflict sometime ago.

I wanted to have a hunky body but I felt that it went against all I stand for, but that's a very childish point of view, the world is not divided in intellectuals and barbarians, that's silly, you can enjoy sports AND like books, rpgs and geek stuff.

The problem here seems that you believe in stereotypes, you think that jocks are dumb and muscular, geeks and nerds and smart and skinny, but that's not how the world works, people are just people you don't have to be X to be Z, that's something media created.

I used to hate the idea of going to the gym, but as often hate goes, it was unfounded based on prejudices, and once I went there it's actually a very cool atmosphere.

Here have the video that motivated me to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6sS0qljJFI&t=300s

Yeah, with this I have to agree with you, that is the perfect illustration of how our civilization is a failure, that's why the aliens haven't called yet. >:(

scalyfreak
2017-07-27, 09:07 PM
Like I said, "after a point", not "completely pointless entirely". If you're weight training to the point it starts to impact your flexibility (like a lot of people seem to see as the ideal) you've gone too far.

Or at the very least you have forgotten that stretching and various forms of yoga are a great way to get the most out of your muscle building routine.

2017-07-27, 09:19 PM
Oh, that thread title is magical. I wonder if we could improve famous quotes with that suffix.

I only regret, that I have but one life to lose for my country. Also, I hate sports.

And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet’s pen
Turns them to shapes and gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name.
Also, I hate sports.

Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that bull**** and just play. Also, I hate sports.

Science is organised knowledge. Wisdom is organised life. Also, I hate sports.

A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards; as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push. Also I hate sports.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Also, I hate sports.

Outstanding. Absolutely outstanding.

ImperiousLeader
2017-07-27, 10:24 PM
I hesitate to offer this option, because I don't think a judgemental personality is the right fit, but my exercise of choice is dance. Specifically, partner dancing. Ballroom, Swing, Salsa, etc. When I go out for a night of Lindy Hop (a form of swing dance), I bring at least three changes of shirts, because I get a workout. But it never feels like one.

Fast dances offer cardio. Partnership requires communication and being a good partner. Feeling and adapting to music engages the brain, which, I get bored in the gym. Dance gets you in tune with your body as you have to think about how you move.

And, yes, I know dancers who can get very good bodies just through dance. Most supplement with other things, but, well, this guy (http://gabriel-gastelum.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/IMG_1636.jpg) claims he got his body purely through dancing.

Tvtyrant
2017-07-27, 10:59 PM

I'm just curios. I don’t plan to go against my principles and hatred toward everything sport related.

Yes, having a decent body is possible without gyms. Ways to get them include rowing, swimming, and doing general body workouts.

But why though? When you are more in shape you get sick less often, have better sex and are less likely to get long term illnesses.

So is food, human life, glaciers, the sun and the very universe. Life is short, do things you enjoy. Being in shape is a mechanism for achieving more enjoyment.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20090610.gif

I understand not liking competitive sports, or even other people (I have been there.) But I also enjoy sweeping vistas, swimming for long periods of time, and being master of my body. The secret to life is doing everything for yourself, every other motivation will leave you bitter and disillusioned.

Sobol
2017-07-28, 01:57 AM
Oh, that thread title is magical. I wonder if we could improve famous quotes with that suffix.

http://www.picshare.ru/uploads/170728/Z68b3K8Q85.jpg
Sorry :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carthago_delenda_est

fire_insideout
2017-07-28, 02:18 AM

But this is true for any physical (and non-physical) activity where mobility isn't part of the movements themselves. Heck, most desk workers today have a incredibly inflexible upper back and hip due to the rigid position they work in (Source: I am one, and I have to work a lot on my mobility).

Also, weight training exercises like squatting (especially variants like front squat and over head squat) and over head press (including the jerk-motions) will actually make you more mobile when done correctly since you are stretching your muscles at the same time as you are working out, in the same sense as yoga.

2017-07-28, 02:53 AM
http://www.picshare.ru/uploads/170728/Z68b3K8Q85.jpg
Sorry :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carthago_delenda_est

I really want this to take off.

Eldan
2017-07-28, 04:53 AM

Outstanding. Absolutely outstanding.

Ooh, that sounds way more fun than reading another tirade by The Eye.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Also, I hate sports.

A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to. Also, I hate sports.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. Also, I hate sports.

The person who reads too much and uses his brain too little will fall into lazy habits of thinking. Also, I hate sports.

Without music, life would be a mistake. Also, I hate sports.

Edit: You're right, it's fun in Latin, too.

Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur. Ceterum, odi ludos.

Dulce bellum inexpertis. Ceterum, odi ludos.

Gladiator in arena consilium capit. Ceterum, odi ludos.

gooddragon1
2017-07-28, 05:37 AM
I may be misreading this, but let's not dogpile the OP for their worldview.

Weightlifting has perks. I started lifting 3.3 lb dumbbells, then 5 lb dumbells, then I made the mistake of lifting 16 lb dumbbells (I took weights from one and put them on the other). When I recovered after a week I tried 11 lb dumbbells. Due to lifting wrong (?) I slightly injured myself (right shoulder) and have to wait until that's better. However, there are perks like being able to lift open the outside freezer even with stuff on it to get ice cream. That's been about the only perk. But it's useful.

2017-07-28, 08:33 AM
I may be misreading this

You are. It's all in good fun.

gooddragon1
2017-07-28, 08:39 AM
You are. It's all in good fun.

If that's the case carry on then, nothing to see here.

Thufir
2017-07-28, 09:51 AM

As flies to wanton boys are we to th'gods; They kill us for their sport. Also, I hate sports.

It was too obvious not to do.

tensai_oni
2017-07-28, 10:31 AM
OP, what you're doing is trying to rationalize your own bad habits or your own unwillingness for self improvement. If you go "well all those people who work out/socialize/groom themselves are shallow narcissists obsessed with unreasonable social standards", that just gives you an excuse never to try because you don't want to be like them.

This is the way your brain works, a defensive mechanism. Your brain likes that status quo, even if it's miserable. It actively resists even the thought about introducing some positive change in your life, and you are letting it rule over you.

Also like a lot of other people said in this thread, you are being judgemental as ****. Knock it off.

Dr.Samurai
2017-07-28, 10:44 AM
I may be misreading this, but let's not dogpile the OP for their worldview.
The OP, in their various threads, sounds miserable as ****, and it seems a lot of that has to do with their "hatred" and disdain for pretty normal stuff. If you look at generally normal things that people say and do and feel, and attribute to those things all sorts of negative traits and motivations, and then form sweeping generalizations and pessimistic worldviews based on your own narrow judgements, you're going to have a ****ty time of things.

OP needs to pause, take a step back, and relax. And grow up. As the previous poster mentions, this is a sort of backwards rationalization the OP is engaging in. You don't like to do stuff, or you're afraid to try new things, or whatever. And so you demonize it and work your way backwards, pretending you don't do or like certain things because they are bad or shallow.

2D8HP
2017-07-28, 10:52 AM
The OP, in their various threads, sounds....

The OP, in their various threads, seems to me to start amusing discussions, which I welcome.

Also, I hate sports.

:biggrin:

thorgrim29
2017-07-28, 02:08 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum, Ceterum, odi ludos..

That is pretty fun

Winston Churchill: I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat. Also, I hate sports

Good old Will S: For never was a story of more woe, Than this of Juliet and her Romeo. Also, I hate sports

fire_insideout
2017-07-28, 02:35 PM
Michael Jordan: “You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them. Also, I hate sports.”

Eldan
2017-07-28, 03:23 PM
Habe nun, ach! Philosophie,
Juristerei und Medizin,
und leider auch Theologie
durchaus studiert, mit heißem Bemühn.
Da steh ich nun, ich armer Tor
und bin so klug als wie zuvor.
Und ausserdem hasse ich Sport.

Or in English:

Ah! Now I’ve done Philosophy,
I’ve finished Law and Medicine,
And sadly even Theology:
Taken fierce pains, from end to end.
Now here I am, a fool for sure!
No wiser than I was before:
Also, I hate sports.

A.A.King
2017-07-28, 04:04 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum, Ceterum, odi ludos..

That is pretty fun

Winston Churchill: I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat. Also, I hate sports

Good old Will S: For never was a story of more woe, Than this of Juliet and her Romeo. Also, I hate sports

If you're going to Churchil, go with

Churchill: "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender. Also, I hate sports"

Tvtyrant
2017-07-28, 04:54 PM

Churchill: "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender. Also, I hate sports"

"If you were my Husband I would poison your tea."

"If I were your husband, I would drink it. Also I hate sports."

Xyril
2017-07-28, 05:04 PM
The OP, in their various threads, sounds miserable as ****, and it seems a lot of that has to do with their "hatred" and disdain for pretty normal stuff. If you look at generally normal things that people say and do and feel, and attribute to those things all sorts of negative traits and motivations, and then form sweeping generalizations and pessimistic worldviews based on your own narrow judgements, you're going to have a ****ty time of things.

OP needs to pause, take a step back, and relax. And grow up.

The OP, in their various threads, seems to me to start amusing discussions, which I welcome.

These two positions are not at all incompatible. Even ignoring the actual crimes committed by the Klan and considering only the manner in which they've exercised their First Amendment rights, I find the Klan abhorrent. I have no problem responding to their statements by pointing out how abhorrent those statements are, and how they strongly imply that the speakers are abhorrent. I have no problem with people, using their own First Amendment rights, to try to convince the Klan how wrong their positions are, or to convince everyone else to shun the Klan for their beliefs.

That being said, I also believe that the Klan, by simply existing, have resulted in spirited debates about free speech and censorship that I welcome. In addition, overreaching government responses to the Klan have resulted in cases and precedents that have clearly delineated circumstances in which the abstract notion of "free speech" provide concrete protections from government authority. If the Klan didn't exist, these issues might have come to the courts under less favorable circumstances and with even less sympathetic defendants--such as NAMBLA or someone who advocates for currently active terrorist groups--and the rulings might have come out less favorably for our rights.

I too have enjoyed some of the conversations to arise from TheEye's posts, but in general I've never enjoyed any of his direct contributions to those conversations. His initial posts tend to be as others describe--highly judgmental of vast swaths of people based on the flimsiest of direct evidence and some deeply seated stereotypes--but they actually bother me far less than the passive-aggressive, whining, borderline straw-manning responses he gives when people call him out on it. For example:

Besides I'm not in favor of living a non-active life, I just think that people can be active without doing inane tasks. Such as jumping up and down in the same spot, or riding a bike that takes you nowhere. I’m sorry if such opinions were offensive, that’s not what I meant.

People have disagreed with him about the "pointlessness" of exercise, but none of them acted offended by TheEye's position. The folks who did call TheEye out for being offensive were very specific about why they were offended: Not because TheEye doesn't like the gym, or exercise in general, but because of the sweeping judgment he keeps making about the supposed vanity and other character flaws of pretty much anybody who does. He reminds me of the folks online who make some statement about some group of people they won't date and then--completely unprompted--decide they need to justify their position by stating a litany of offensive ethnic or racial stereotypes that they presume to be largely true. When they are, predictably, called out for the bigoted portions of their tirade, their response is usually that their dating preferences are their own business and they shouldn't be judged for them--a statement that is technically true, but also misses (or disingenuously ignores) quite a few relevant points.

The Eye
2017-07-28, 05:14 PM
Yes, having a decent body is possible without gyms. Ways to get them include rowing, swimming, and doing general body workouts.

But why though? When you are more in shape you get sick less often, have better sex and are less likely to get long term illnesses.

So is food, human life, glaciers, the sun and the very universe. Life is short, do things you enjoy. Being in shape is a mechanism for achieving more enjoyment.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20090610.gif

I understand not liking competitive sports, or even other people (I have been there.) But I also enjoy sweeping vistas, swimming for long periods of time, and being master of my body. The secret to life is doing everything for yourself, every other motivation will leave you bitter and disillusioned.

But I like being bitter and disillusioned.

It resonates well with the 18-24 and 78-95 demographics.

Also, you just proved to me that God is real, so thanks for that.

Tvtyrant
2017-07-28, 05:26 PM

Also, you just proved to me that God is real, so thanks for that.
Actually studies show that personal sense of well being increases with age until the body begins to fall apart, which actually argues for my point that being healthy improves your happiness.

I gave you as thorough an answer as I can. If the answer "it makes people happier" isn't compelling to you, it is no skin off of my back.

The Eye
2017-07-28, 05:33 PM
Actually studies show that personal sense of well being increases with age until the body begins to fall apart, which actually argues for my point that being healthy improves your happiness.

I gave you as thorough an answer as I can. If the answer "it makes people happier" isn't compelling to you, it is no skin off of my back.

And what is happiness but a blissful illusion? How can you be happy in such a sad and distasteful reality?

Look at me I'm all deep and edgy.

Razade
2017-07-28, 05:36 PM
And what is happiness but a blissful illusion? How can you be happy in such a sad and distasteful reality?

By making it less distasteful and sad. Being healthy is a good way to start that.

Tvtyrant
2017-07-28, 05:38 PM

See, you think you are being edgy but actually you are doing the opposite. A kid who drops his ice cream would agree with you, that is how shallow you "sad and distasteful reality" is.

It is based on the assertion that reality is objective for you, and subjective for others when it is equally subjective for you. Like a bad Ayn Rand novel it sees the inherent weakness in other people but never bothers with introspection, that the beholder's view is just as weak and subjective.

There is no reality, only the illusion.

Edit: If you would like more information on the subject you might look at Buddhist teachings, or for a western perspective on it William James or George S. Sorel. Or if you like your philosophy in the form of obtuse gobitiygoop Nietzsche.

The Eye
2017-07-28, 05:43 PM
See, you think you are being edgy but actually you are doing the opposite. A kid who drops his ice cream would agree with you, that is how shallow you "sad and distasteful reality" is.

It is based on the assertion that reality is objective for you, and subjective for others when it is equally subjective for you. Like a bad Ayn Rand novel it sees the inherent weakness in other people but never bothers with introspection, that the beholder's view is just as weak and subjective.

There is no reality, only the illusion.

Edit: If you would like more information on the subject you might look at Buddhist teachings, or for a western perspective on it William James or George S. Sorel. Or if you like your philosophy in the form of obtuse gobitiygoop Nietzsche.

I don't really think what I said is deep and edgy, I just assumed people would say that I was acting all emo and stuff.

Tvtyrant
2017-07-28, 05:56 PM
I don't really think what I said is deep and edgy, I just assumed people would say that I was acting all emo and stuff.

The reason that the attitude there gets so much flak is everyone at one point or another realizes there are more hard moments to life than easy ones. It is one of the reasons teenagers seem so disillusioned, they come to realize they are going to have to work hard for little celebration forever.

Part of adulthood is experiencing great enough rewards to decide life is worth it anyway. Love, children, job satisfaction, they develop over time along with a knowledge that you are going to move past hard times. Disillusionment can return do to chemical imbalances or disruptive life events, but on the whole you get happier as you age.

The Eye
2017-07-28, 05:59 PM
The reason that the attitude there gets so much flak is everyone at one point or another realizes there are more hard moments to life than easy ones. It is one of the reasons teenagers seem so disillusioned, they come to realize they are going to have to work hard for little celebration forever.

Part of adulthood is experiencing great enough rewards to decide life is worth it anyway. Love, children, job satisfaction, they develop over time along with a knowledge that you are going to move past hard times. Disillusionment can return do to chemical imbalances or disruptive life events, but on the whole you get happier as you age.

In theory.

You don't talk to many old folks? Do you?

Telonius
2017-07-28, 06:39 PM

If you saw someone trying to put the ocean inside a water bottle one drop at a time, wouldn't you point out how inane that is?

Nah, I'd probably invent a water droplet tracker and sell it to them. If they've got enough spare time for that, might as well be benefiting me.

S@tanicoaldo
2017-07-28, 06:50 PM
Nah, I'd probably invent a water droplet tracker and sell it to them. If they've got enough spare time for that, might as well be benefiting me.

I guess that's why so many people are making money out of gyms and personal training nowadays.

Same principle. ;)

Rain Dragon
2017-07-28, 07:28 PM

I'd be careful about that as it can really affect one's quality of life. I don't have sources or anything and am on a tablet at work, but I highly recommend working toward a position where you can be at peace rather than bitter and disillusioned because the latter can make life really difficult to cope with.

In theory.

A lot of the older people I've talked to have been determined (I can't really think of a better word) and lived as happily and well as they could. Of course, this all depends on the person as always. It may alsp be a different culture here.

Also, as other people have said here life's too short to cling to too much negativity. We're here, so we might as well make the best of it.
I think some people enjoying a gym or their appearance or sports is nothing to worry about tbh, good for them. For example, I also don't like football (which is everywhere here btw) but it literally doesn't affect me in any way shape or form. I'm sure other people don't like things I like too, that's just part of being human. We can cope.

I'm sure you can find groups of people who like to build physique without going to a gym. I did a quick google and there's a calisthenics group half an hour train ride away from where I live and even closer a lot of community dance stuff and martial arts.
Heck, you can ask the guy who does calisthenics for some info on it I'm sure.
There's no harm in trying to get started, if fitness is what you want.

Keltest
2017-07-28, 08:18 PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

gooddragon1
2017-07-28, 09:04 PM
What you need is some pep and vitality (it's okay though, I know the feels so I take it with a grain of salt too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XejH3C7MeTo

2D8HP
2017-07-28, 09:33 PM
The Eye,
Seriously people are made for walking (https://www.cbhs.com.au/Health-Well-Being-Blog/Blog-Article/2015/04/13/are-humans-designed-to-walk-and-not-run), to avoid gym-like tedium, go someplace where you can see trees and/or water (in an urban environment a bicycle is a good way to get to such a place). It's best if you walk long enough the view changes a bit, even if it's just different trees.

What I wrote before still goes:

What's not boring?

Exploring!

Also not boring?

Boating!

Part of adulthood is experiencing great enough rewards to decide life is worth it anyway..

:yuk:

Pfft!

Survivorship bias.

...Disillusionment can return do to chemical imbalances or disruptive life events, but on the whole you get happier as you age...

Nope.

Happiest in '92, when me and my future wife lived on unemployment insurance.

Those days were grand.

Also, I hate sports.

I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too.
Also, I hate sports.

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns!" he said;
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Some one had blunder'd:
Their's not to make reply,
Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre-stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not,
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wonder'd.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred!
Also, I hate sports.

An Enemy Spy
2017-07-28, 09:39 PM
The Eye, with the utmost respect, shut the hell up about other people, you vain, narrow minded, judgmental prat. The answers to all your people problems can be summed up with one sentence: You think other people are trash and you don't treat them with any respect.

You don't like sports? Don't watch sports. Don't treat people who do like they're less than you, because they're not. I don't like gardening, but you don't see me ranting about people who do.

You don't like excersize? Don't excersize, but you have only yourself to blame if you're out of shape as a result. And then don't whine about other people just because they're willing to put in the work that you aren't to have a healthy body.

You want to make friends? You want to learn the secrets these people you totally don't envy have figured out? DON'T BE AN *******!

An Enemy Spy
2017-07-28, 09:49 PM
The Eye, with the utmost respect, shut the hell up about other people, you vain, narrow minded, judgmental prat. The answers to all your people problems can be summed up with one sentence: You think other people are trash and you don't treat them with any respect.

You don't like sports? Don't watch sports. Don't treat people who do like they're less than you, because they're not. I don't like gardening, but you don't see me ranting about people who do.

You don't like excersize? Don't excersize, but you have only yourself to blame if you're out of shape as a result. And then don't whine about other people just because they're willing to put in the work that you aren't to have a healthy body.

You want to make friends? You want to learn the secrets these people you totally don't envy have figured out? DON'T BE AN *******!

Since that's probably gonna get scrubbed, allow me to rephrase that now that my initial anger has subsided a bit. The Eye, you clearly struggle with seeing the world from other people's points of view, and that's left you in a place where you aren't good at understanding that just because someone else is different from you that they are still an intelligent rational human being.

So the next time you find yourself in a social situation with someone who because of their differing interests, you've decided is stupid/vain/petty, instead tell yourself "this person has a better understanding of this subject than I do." And maybe you'll actually learn to appreciate the world in a way you didn't before.

Or just go ahead and judge everyone around you for not adhering to your specific standards of how life should be lived and never try and grow as a person., That's popular too.

PS: And as for getting fit without the gym, it's basically just a matter of exercise and healthy eating. Ride a bike, take a jog, you've got a whole wide world sitting on the other side of your front door. Just go out and do something in it.

PPS: Bragging about how not vain you are is an incredibly vain thing to do. This entire series of threads you've posted is an exercise in vanity disguised as a plea for help in human interaction, because the main conclusion you always draw is that other people's interests are below you.

2017-07-28, 10:41 PM
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

You forgot "Also, I hate sports."

Bobb
2017-07-28, 11:06 PM
"From the moment we are born, we begin to die. Also, I hate sports."

Okay, actually I am just going to link to these:https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/nothing and let y'all finish each of them yourself.

An Enemy Spy
2017-07-28, 11:09 PM
"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing. Also, I hate sports."

"To do nothing is the way to be nothing. Also, I hate sports."

Both of which have the benefit of actually tying in to the conversation. Also, I hate sports.

PS: I actually like sports.

Bobb
2017-07-28, 11:15 PM
PS: I actually like sports. Also, I hate sports.

An Enemy Spy
2017-07-28, 11:17 PM
PS: I actually like sports. Also, I hate sports.

Also, I hate sports.

lio45
2017-07-28, 11:22 PM
Oh, another The Eye thread. I think the standard answer applies again:

They're normal; you're the one who's weird. Stop being a judgmental ****.

lio45
2017-07-28, 11:23 PM
Also, I hate sports.

gooddragon1
2017-07-28, 11:29 PM

Okay, guys, when asterisks start entering the picture more than once in a thread it generally isn't in good fun anymore. There's no need to be cruel.

2D8HP
2017-07-28, 11:47 PM
Okay, The Eye,

They're sports, and they're typically done in a gym, but do

Fencing (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing)

and

Kendo (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendo)

have any appeal?

Also, I hate sports enjoy watching beach volleyball.

veti
2017-07-28, 11:59 PM

You can't go wrong with Churchill:

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. Also, I hate sports."

"To improve is to change, so to be perfect is to have changed often. Also, I hate sports."

"Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you. Give me a pig! He looks you in the eye and treats you as an equal. Also, I hate sports."

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. Also, I hate sports."

"I am a man of simple tastes - I am quite easily satisfied with the best of everything. Also, I hate sports."

Knaight
2017-07-29, 12:17 AM
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. Also, I hate sports."

This one works pretty well - I suspect more curmudgeonly quotes generally will.

"The ability to accurately perceive reality is commonly called cynicism by those who do not possess it. Also, I hate sports."

Xyril
2017-07-29, 12:19 AM
In theory.

This is a rather amusingly ironic condescending question coming from a guy who has repeatedly stated
that he doesn't really talk to many folks, period, doesn't particularly understand or like talking to many folks, and honestly at times kind of gives off an aura of, I dunno, perhaps smug superiority towards people who do enjoy talking to lots of folks.

In my experience, the other poster is pretty much right and you're pretty much wrong. I've met lots of older people who are unhappy primarily due to certain circumstances--bad health, or having retired without quite enough money to do so comfortably. However, in my experience, those folks are on average more happy than a younger person suffering similar medical or financial woes. For most people, growing old presents a number of circumstances that objectively suck. Despite this fact, most seem to be able to do so with a level of grace and contentment that younger folks lack. For you, it seems that contentment means feeling and sharing your sense of smug superiority at those old fools (and the rest of us) for buying into some false illusion of happiness. If that's what you need to do to be happy (or at least as close as happy as you think you can get), then you gotta do what you gotta do. Just don't expect validation from the rest of us.

Okay, guys, when asterisks start entering the picture more than once in a thread it generally isn't in good fun anymore. There's no need to be cruel.

The thread wasn't exactly in "in good fun" when it started, nor were any of OPs other threads, which can be generally summed up as: Statement of exasperation about people who [work in profession/engage in conduct/belong to group that numerous playground members work in/engage in/belong to], followed by diatribe against the moral or intellectual failings that are allegedly self-evident in members of aforementioned target group, concluding with a plaintiff request to other playground members for advice as to how the superior man can make it more tolerable to be stuck coexisting with so many inferiors.

The fact that so many of the responses either made a sincere effort to help OP, or poked holes in OPs worldview, but only in good fun, is more reflective of the fact that this forum really is above average when it comes to having decent people being decent.

Razade
2017-07-29, 06:07 AM

Thanks for quarterbacking there for us gooddragon1.

Sobol
2017-07-29, 08:57 AM
http://www.picshare.ru/uploads/170729/1NFXK7LH51.jpg

Ebon_Drake
2017-07-29, 11:28 AM

Ayn Rand you say?

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing—you who dread knowledge—I am the man who will now tell you. Also, I hate sports.

2D8HP
2017-07-29, 11:45 AM
I hate sports, it's abominable to me....

This must live!

Totally sigin' this as: "Also, I hate sports"

The Eye
2017-07-29, 01:30 PM
The Eye,
Seriously people are made for walking (https://www.cbhs.com.au/Health-Well-Being-Blog/Blog-Article/2015/04/13/are-humans-designed-to-walk-and-not-run), to avoid gym-like tedium, go someplace where you can see trees and/or water (in an urban environment a bicycle is a good way to get to such a place). It's best if you walk long

I told you, I'm not against physical activity, I just think the physical activities people do in gyms are boring and vain.

I'm super ok with bikes, walking dogs and all that.

PS: And as for getting fit without the gym, it's basically just a matter of exercise and healthy eating. Ride a bike, take a jog, you've got a whole wide world sitting on the other side of your front door. Just go out and do something in it.

I agree.

EDIT: My point was that he looked too fit for someone who is only physicly active and don't pursue a gym lifestyle.

I know I'm the weird, never said I wasn't. Besides, no one is forcing you to comment on my threads.

Okay, The Eye,

They're sports, and they're typically done in a gym, but do

Fencing (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing)

and

Kendo (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendo)

have any appeal?

Also, I hate sports enjoy watching beach volleyball.

Too gay and too weeaboo. ;p

Also I think volleyball is the worst of sports.

Sobol
2017-07-29, 02:12 PM
Too gay
I'd recommend you to try wrestling.

1) It's a great workout. While wrestling, you burn a lot of energy in a short time and tire muscles you didn't know you even had.

2) It's a wonderful way to let out you negative feelings toward fellow humans - but, at the same time, very civilized, not as violent as many other combat sports. There's something similar to chess in it: standard positions etc.

3) Also, many positions can be real eye-openers and completely change your perspective on what is "too gay" and what is not.

The Eye
2017-07-29, 02:16 PM
I'd recommend you to try wrestling.

1) It's a great workout. While wrestling, you burn a lot of energy in a short time and tire muscles you didn't know you even had.

2) It's a wonderful way to let out you negative feelings toward fellow humans - but, at the same time, very civilized, not as violent as many other combat sports. There's something similar to chess in it: standard positions etc.

3) Also, many positions can be real eye-openers and completely change your perspective on what is "too gay" and what is not.

I'm too touchy for that.

A.I.: I don't like to be touched by other humans.

An Enemy Spy
2017-07-29, 03:44 PM
I know I'm the weird, never said I wasn't. Besides, no one is forcing you to comment on my threads.

And no one is forcing you to express your appalling disdain for your fellow man, but here you are doing it anyway. You get back what you give to others. Consider that another rule of human interaction. In the words of Richard Sherman, "You asked for this noise. Also, I hate sports."

Too gay and too weeaboo. ;p

Also I think volleyball is the worst of sports.

Homophobia aside, it's only gay if you make it gay. If you were to insert your penis into another man's rectum, that would be gay. If you were to simply follow the rules of wrestling, it wouldn't be. See the difference?

And what, anything that's Japanese is automatically weeaboo? Does anyone outside of anime fandom even use that term?

The Eye
2017-07-29, 04:01 PM
And no one is forcing you to express your appalling disdain for your fellow man, but here you are doing it anyway. You get back what you give to others. Consider that another rule of human interaction. In the words of Richard Sherman, "You asked for this noise. Also, I hate sports."

Homophobia aside, it's only gay if you make it gay. If you were to insert your penis into another man's rectum, that would be gay. If you were to simply follow the rules of wrestling, it wouldn't be. See the difference?

And what, anything that's Japanese is automatically weeaboo? Does anyone outside of anime fandom even use that term?

No, I do it because I want; you are the one who has a problem with it.

EDIT: I won't stop making treads just because they bother you, but you can stop reading\commenting if they bother you so much.

Too bad I was not talking about wrestling. If you actually bothered to read what I say instead of blindly spilling you hatred towards my person you would not make a fool of yourself.

An Enemy Spy
2017-07-29, 04:12 PM
First off, I don't hate you. I don't know you well enough to hate you. The only times I even remember you exist are when I see your threads on this forum. Outside of that you have no effect on my life so how could I possibly hate you?

Second, you think that you can say whatever you want about anyone else but that you should somehow be exempt from the same treatment just because you're the one who started the thread. You give crap, you have to take it unless you have a way to coerce or incentivize people into not firing back at you. You don't, so so don't expect people to put up with your crap. You're not special and you don't get to insult people without consequence. If I started insulting the posters on my Wheel of Time threads you better believe they'd start doing it back to me, and then probably stop following me because they don't like me.

The Eye
2017-07-29, 04:17 PM
First off, I don't hate you.

Doesn't look like it when you get all defensive to a comment that wasn't even directed at you.

Aedilred
2017-07-29, 04:54 PM
Too bad I was not talking about wrestling. If you actually bothered to read what I say instead of blindly spilling you hatred towards my person you would not make a fool of yourself.
Nothing gay about fencing, unless the fencers themselves are gay. In which case it's the fencers who are gay, not the fencing.

And there's nothing wrong with being gay anyway.

In short, your dismissal of fencing is about as well-reasoned as anything else you've said in this thread.

EDIT: I won't stop making treads just because they bother you, but you can stop reading\commenting if they bother you so much.
Yeah, that's not how this works. This isn't The Miniatures Page; we have stuff like mods and rules and decency here.

Also, I hate sports.

Razade
2017-07-29, 05:21 PM
Can I just comment on the irony of The Eye complaining about someone using words like "cuck" and "beta" as things that annoy him and then he just casually dismisses a form of sport that's been around for almost 600 years as "gay" and then gets mad when people point out that maybe you shouldn't use that as a slur?

Just ya know. It's the little things.

The Eye
2017-07-29, 05:21 PM
Nothing gay about fencing, unless the fencers themselves are gay. In which case it's the fencers who are gay, not the fencing.

And there's nothing wrong with being gay anyway.

In short, your dismissal of fencing is about as well-reasoned as anything else you've said in this thread.

Yeah, that's not how this works. This isn't The Miniatures Page; we have stuff like mods and rules and decency here.

Also, I hate sports.

It was joke, now I get why some people use blue. I tough that the use of ":p" was enough, but no it doesn't seem to be.

So why don't we let the mods take care of it? If I did such horrible and indecent things I'm sure they will contact me soon. It didn't happen until now.

scalyfreak
2017-07-29, 05:23 PM
EDIT: My point was that he looked too fit for someone who is only physically active and don't pursue a gym lifestyle.

That's probably because he isn't just physically active - he works out hard, and he does it regularly. But no one in this thread has claimed that a gym lifestyle (whatever that is) is a necessity for regular and challenging workouts.

In the words of Richard Sherman, "You asked for this noise. Also, I hate sports."

The first of these quotes that has made me laugh. :smallsmile:

An Enemy Spy
2017-07-29, 05:27 PM
Making inflammatory comments and then saying it was a joke when people get mad is one of the punkiest moves you can pull on the internet. Either refrain from saying things you don't want people to get upset about or endeavor to make your jokes actually funny. Because we all know that wasn't a joke.

The Eye
2017-07-29, 05:27 PM
Can I just comment on the irony of The Eye complaining about someone using words like "cuck" and "beta" as things that annoy him and then he just casually dismisses a form of sport that's been around for almost 600 years as "gay" and then gets mad when people point out that maybe you shouldn't use that as a slur?

Just ya know. It's the little things.

I have no problem with people using those worlds, my problem is that he used that all the time and he didn't use it as a joke, like I did, he really means it.

An Enemy Spy
2017-07-29, 05:28 PM
I have no problem with people using those worlds, my problem is that he used that all the time and he didn't use it as a joke, like I did, he really means it.

And you know this, how? With your exceptional people skills? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking on what grounds you purport to understand another man's intent?

The Eye
2017-07-29, 05:36 PM
And you know this, how? With your exceptional people skills? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking on what grounds you purport to understand another man's intent?

And how in the nine hells do you know the extent of my social skills? Have we meet?

An Enemy Spy
2017-07-29, 05:42 PM
And how in the nine hells do you know the extent of my social skills? Have we meet?

Because you constantly reiterate that you don't have good social skills? Is that not what the central message of these threads are?

Aedilred
2017-07-29, 05:43 PM

Your threads on this forum have given us a fair amount of insight, I think. Also, I hate sports.

The Eye
2017-07-29, 05:45 PM
Your threads on this forum have given us a fair amount of insight, I think. Also, I hate sports.

Oh, sure just because of a few threads about how I don't like interacting with people and you assumed I'm very bad with it. Well some people cook well even if they don't like it.

Besides can we just keep the stuff not from this thread away from it? Thanks.

Xyril
2017-07-29, 05:49 PM

I think this has less to do with social skills, and more to do with "one standard for mine, and another standard for thine."

Because you constantly reiterate that you don't have good social skills? Is that not what the central message of these threads are?

Now that's just hilarious.

"I have terrible social skills, please help clarify a situation for me."
"It wasn't my fault they were offended, I just have bad social skills."

"Wow, you really don't have great social skills, do you?"

"SIR! How dare you insult my social skills?! I WILL have satisfaction! Pistols at dawn!"

Razade
2017-07-29, 05:51 PM
"A clear horizon — nothing to worry about on your plate, only things that are creative and not destructive… I can’t bear quarreling, I can’t bear feelings between people — I think hatred is wasted energy, and it’s all non-productive. Also, I hate sports." - Alfred Hitchcock

scalyfreak
2017-07-29, 06:01 PM
"I have terrible social skills, please help clarify a situation for me."
"It wasn't my fault they were offended, I just have bad social skills."

"Wow, you really don't have great social skills, do you?"

"SIR! How dare you insult my social skills?! I WILL have satisfaction! Pistols at dawn!"

Also, you hate sports.

Xyril
2017-07-29, 06:24 PM
Also, you hate sports.

... awww crap, I forgot.

I guess I better go beat myself with my shame stick.

Tvtyrant
2017-07-29, 06:33 PM
"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident everybody has decided not to see. Also, I hate sports."

The Fountainhead

Xyril
2017-07-29, 06:48 PM
"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident everybody has decided not to see. Also, I hate sports."

The Fountainhead

Why is it that Rand lends herself so well to "Also, I hate sports?"

Zurvan
2017-07-29, 07:08 PM

I swear to the Gods people like you are the worst.

Can you not equate homosexuality with sodomy? Thanks.

scalyfreak
2017-07-29, 07:09 PM
Why is it that Rand lends herself so well to "Also, I hate sports?"

It's just a good fit with her overall world view? :smallconfused:

Zurvan
2017-07-29, 07:10 PM
"Despite the constant negative press covfefe. Also, I hate sports."

An Enemy Spy
2017-07-29, 07:17 PM

Sorry, I went a bit overboard there.

Dr.Samurai
2017-07-29, 08:01 PM
Almost as bad as hyper-sensitive people that read whatever they want into a sentence.

That's not what he did. Thanks.

Zurvan
2017-07-29, 08:06 PM
Almost as bad as hyper-sensitive people that read whatever they want into a sentence.

That's not what he did. Thanks.

He admitted he did on the post above. -_-'

Jerk.

scalyfreak
2017-07-29, 08:08 PM
He admitted he did on the post above. -_-'

Jerk.

An apology is not automatically an admission of guilt. It's just an apology.

And who even uses the word "sodomy"....? :smallconfused:

Zurvan
2017-07-29, 08:10 PM
I do. Do you have a problem with that? :smallconfused:

scalyfreak
2017-07-29, 08:18 PM
I do. Do you have a problem with that? :smallconfused:

None at all. I'm just not used to seeing it used outside of regency novels and certain types of political pamphlets.

Zurvan
2017-07-29, 08:21 PM
None at all. I'm just not used to seeing it used outside of regency novels and certain types of political pamphlets.

It gets the point across.

Dr.Samurai
2017-07-29, 08:33 PM

Jerk.
Lmfao, how typical. That was good, thank you for the laugh :smallsmile:.

Zurvan
2017-07-29, 08:49 PM
Lmfao, how typical. That was good, thank you for the laugh :smallsmile:.

A typical what, Dr. Samurai? a typical what?

scalyfreak
2017-07-29, 09:00 PM
A typical what, Dr. Samurai? a typical what?

You do realize you're proving his point with your aggressive defensiveness, right?

2017-07-29, 09:00 PM
Now taking bets for when this thread is inevitably shut down.

Also, I hate sports.

Zurvan
2017-07-29, 09:02 PM
You do realize you're proving his point with your aggressive defensiveness, right?
I'm just tired of people assuming gay guys neserly like to do anal. That makes my blood boil.

AMFV
2017-07-29, 09:04 PM
I think the thing with the Eye is that he simply posts exactly what he thinks here. With no filter. So while a LOT of people probably think when they see a guy going to the gym or lifting or something that it's motivated by vanity (and spoiler alert: IT OFTEN IS). And they don't say anything about it. The Eye comes here and posts about it. There's nothing inherently wrong with having that discussion. I would suspect that a greater number of serious gym goers have some sort of vain motivation than not. Honestly, I go to the gym because of vanity, I want to lift as much weight as possible, more than I will ever need in a practical application. It's definitely a vain enterprise. It's pretty fun though. I enjoy it, and there's nothing wrong with a little bit of vanity.

scalyfreak
2017-07-29, 09:05 PM
I'm just tired of people assuming gay guys neserly like to do anal. That makes my blood boil.

I'm tired of seeing everyone and their dog refusing to let go of something once a person apologizes.

Also, I hate sports.

An Enemy Spy
2017-07-29, 09:21 PM

Yeah, but that's not what I said. I just provided a vulgar example of what something that actually would be gay is opposed to wrestling. Sorry, fencing. It's like I provided a square as an example of a four sided shape and you thought I was saying all quadrilaterals are squares.

And then I apologized because I didn't want this to turn into a whole thing but people just wouldn't let it go.

Dr.Samurai
2017-07-29, 09:22 PM
@AMFV: A lot of people post exactly what they think here. The problem is what it is that the Eye thinks. As you correctly say in your last sentence, there's nothing wrong with a little vanity. Yet The Eye is suffering through misery as the lone intellectual with any depth on a planet full of evil vain superficial vapid people. We're all just trying to tell The Eye to readjust their perspective and stop being so judgemental. It takes too much effort to be miserable all the time. Speaking of which...

@Zurvan: The offensive nature in Enemy Spy's post is like that food in the movie Hook. You can only see it if you believe it is there. So let your blood cool and take heart knowing that there's actually nothing to be upset about.

Comrade
2017-07-29, 09:38 PM

So that merited calling him 'the worst'? When there are, you know, actual instances of homophobia and homophobic people out there to be angry about?

Mikemical
2017-07-29, 09:56 PM
Awww man, I'm late. What'd I miss?

I hate sports, it's abominable to me, I hate team based competitions in all forms, in special when its live action and you have to actually talk directly to the person, and I just hate it.

I share the sentiment to an extent. I enjoy kicking a ball around with my friends when we're just goofing around and having a good time. The minute someone gets super serious about the game it loses it's magic to me.

Dedication and probably a good diet. Not some miracle vegan diet, no kale juice, no "I eat five dozen eggs" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJTqmpBnI0), no Vietnam prisoner diet, just not eating McDonalds/Burger King/KFC/Pizza for lunch every day and keeping sugar at bay.

... I'm above such petty aesthetic thing.

... I would be betraying my own philosophy so I feel like I should not do it.

... I don’t plan to go against my principles and hatred toward everything sport related.

You have too much unwarranted self-importance if you truly believe that your "beliefs" > actual proof that being fit is good way to staying healthy. As many have told you before in EVERY thread you've put up in this sub-forum, get off your high horse.

Roland St. Jude
2017-07-29, 10:11 PM
Sheriff: This thread seems to have gone off the rails and into the valley of rules violations.