PDA

View Full Version : Monk: way of the body

pybro
2017-07-27, 01:00 AM
Way of the Bare Hands
Monks under the way of the Bear Hands use their body to become the most power weapon they can use. They can learn to become more nibble and use ki to empower their attacks with different types of damage.

Empowered unarmed attack: At level 3 your unarmed attacks do more damage. Your unarmed strikes now deal one die higher damage to your marchial arts die. So, at this level you will deal 1d6 damage. If you attack with an unarmed attack with your bonus action you can push the foe five feet away from you.

Pushing Punch: At level 6 you can dash and do a charing attack unarmed attack and every 10 feet you deal An additional die of damage.

Empowered punches: At level 11 you can spend a ki point and for an hour you can change the type off damage that you fist do. After the damage types disappears you can't use the same type of damage until you finsh a long rest.

Untouchable movement: at the 17th level you can never set off an enemy's attack of opportunity

Can you give me your opinion and can you tell me what to fix, I really want a monk that just focuses on unarmed fighting. Also please don't tell me to play way of the open hand, because the only time it fixes unarmed attacks is using ki and I want my unared attacks to be improved when it doesn't use ki.

bronzemountain
2017-07-27, 01:06 AM
Way of the Bare Hands
Monks under the way of the Bear Hands use their body to become the most power weapon they can use. They can learn to become more nibble and use ki to empower their attacks with different types of damage.

Empowered unarmed attack: At level 3 your unarmed attacks do more damage. The marital arts die goes up by one, so at level 3 you would roll a d6 and not a d4. Also you roll a second die for total damage, so you would roll 2d6.

Fast movement: At level 6 while your not holding a weapon you gain +5 movement speed

Effused Strikes: At level 11 you can spend a ki point and for 30 minutes you can choose one damage type that your unarmed attacks will do.

Untouchable movement: at the 17th level you gain +5 to ac.

Can you give me your opinion and can you tell me what to fix, I really want a monk that just focuses on unarmed fighting.

I understand the desire to make the most monkly monk of all time, but I would generally suggest that's what Way of the Open Hand is.

What we have here is a character with 25AC doing 8D12+20(?!) force damage every round. That seems over the top to me.

Vaz
2017-07-27, 01:11 AM
Putting out 4*(2d6+4) attacks at level 3 is a little bit ridiculous in comparison to other martial classes, no? The 30 minute duration is a bit strange. Most are 10 minutes or 1 hour. And any damage type? You mean essentially everything is running around with Force?

I'd also echo bronzemountain - what you're looking for here is Way of the Open Hand.

pybro
2017-07-27, 01:27 AM
I understand the desire to make the most monkly monk of all time, but I would generally suggest that's what Way of the Open Hand is.

What we have here is a character with 25AC doing 8D12+20(?!) force damage every round. That seems over the top to me.

Putting out 4*(2d6+4) attacks at level 3 is a little bit ridiculous in comparison to other martial classes, no? The 30 minute duration is a bit strange. Most are 10 minutes or 1 hour. And any damage type? You mean essentially everything is running around with Force?

I'd also echo bronzemountain - what you're looking for here is Way of the Open Hand.

Well you are right that it has things for unarmed attacks but it's only half and i wanted it to be more focused on fist fighting. But what would you guys do to change this to a make it more balanced or change the way of the open hand to fitted fist only play style?

lunaticfringe
2017-07-27, 01:39 AM
Yeah I'd go Open Hand & see about changing the 6 & 11 Archetype Features into something a bit more offensive. Which is what I think you are after?

Cast Elemental Weapon for Ki maybe. There is a pretty good Spell to Ki table somewhere on the net.

qube
2017-07-27, 03:06 AM
Well you are right that it has things for unarmed attacks but it's only half and i wanted it to be more focused on fist fighting. But what would you guys do to change this to a make it more balanced or change the way of the open hand to fitted fist only play style?*thinking*

Leopard style

Leopard's punch
At 3rd level: you crit on a 19-20 with unarmed strikes.

The patient hunter
At 6th level you gain the defensive dualist feat and can use it while having both hands empty.

The pouncing cat
At level 11, you get advantage on your first unarmed attack of a combat

Apex predator
At level 17, you gain Quivering palm

3rd level: compared to (possible) advantages of a (possible) prone target (and only when you used ki to flurry), a bit of extra damage seems balanced.

6th level: wholeness of body seems equivalent, if not more then, a feat (namely +2hp/lvl).
Normally monks can't use defensive duelist with unarmed strike as it's not a finesse weapon (my logic here is based on the sage ruling that they also can't sneak attack with their unarmed strike for that same reason. Yet, just like the same sage ruling, they would be able to use it using a shortsword monk weapon. Way to kill the 'unarmed fighter flavor', guys ...)

11th level: No clue what to do with a daily sanctuary. 1/fight advantage seemed balanced in comparison

17th level: the same ability, cause it fit, and I was without inspiration :smallsmile:

bronzemountain
2017-07-27, 08:27 AM
I think this is pretty solid and not unbalanced. Nice option.

*thinking*

Leopard style

Leopard's punch
At 3rd level: you crit on a 19-20 with unarmed strikes.

The patient hunter
At 6th level you gain the defensive dualist feat and can use it while having both hands empty.

The pouncing cat
At level 11, you get advantage on your first unarmed attack of a combat

Apex predator
At level 17, you gain Quivering palm

3rd level: compared to (possible) advantages of a (possible) prone target (and only when you used ki to flurry), a bit of extra damage seems balanced.

6th level: wholeness of body seems equivalent, if not more then, a feat (namely +2hp/lvl).
Normally monks can't use defensive duelist with unarmed strike as it's not a finesse weapon (my logic here is based on the sage ruling that they also can't sneak attack with their unarmed strike for that same reason. Yet, just like the same sage ruling, they would be able to use it using a shortsword monk weapon. Way to kill the 'unarmed fighter flavor', guys ...)

11th level: No clue what to do with a daily sanctuary. 1/fight advantage seemed balanced in comparison

17th level: the same ability, cause it fit, and I was without inspiration :smallsmile:

Bahamut7
2017-07-27, 04:01 PM
Way of the Bare Hands

Empowered unarmed attack: At level 3 your unarmed attacks do more damage. Your unarmed strikes now deals an additional die that your martial arts die.

Pushing Punch: At level 6 you can dash and do a charing attack unarmed attack and the target must succeed in a strength saving throw or be moved 10 feet.

Empowered punches: At level 11 you can spend a ki point and for an hour you can change the type off damage that you fist do. After the damage types disappears you can't use the same type of damage until you finsh a long rest.

Untouchable movement: at the 17th level you can never set off an enemy's attack of opportunity

Can you give me your opinion and can you tell me what to fix, I really want a monk that just focuses on unarmed fighting. Also please don't tell me to play way of the open hand, because the only time it fixes unarmed attacks is using ki and I want my unared attacks to be improved when it doesn't use ki.

I would keep the level 3 feature the same except drop the second die of damage. Perhaps add in a rider that you push back the target similar to the way of the open hand. The exception here is that you don't get to choose but there is no save on the target's part.

Level 6: Drop the pushing effect and add in the ability to do extra damage on charge attacks, perhaps an additional die or two of damage (assuming you can only charge once per turn).

Level 11: The damage type sounds fun so I would keep it but add in that your attacks do more damage per Ki spent. So you could spend some Ki and allow each attack to do extra an extra die of damage.

Level 17: Quivering Palm is the open hand's niche, so isntead I would say that you could award a player with a higher unarmed damage die, so 2d6 instead of 1d10.

pybro
2017-07-27, 05:31 PM
I would keep the level 3 feature the same except drop the second die of damage. Perhaps add in a rider that you push back the target similar to the way of the open hand. The exception here is that you don't get to choose but there is no save on the target's part.

Level 6: Drop the pushing effect and add in the ability to do extra damage on charge attacks, perhaps an additional die or two of damage (assuming you can only charge once per turn).

Level 11: The damage type sounds fun so I would keep it but add in that your attacks do more damage per Ki spent. So you could spend some Ki and allow each attack to do extra an extra die of damage.

Level 17: Quivering Palm is the open hand's niche, so isntead I would say that you could award a player with a higher unarmed damage die, so 2d6 instead of 1d10.

level 17: I want to give something defensive. But for something defensively for the last level does it work?