PDA

View Full Version : easiest classes

qube
2017-07-27, 06:08 AM
Ok, so ... level 20 campaign, we're asked to make 5 characters. Relatively newbie asks me to make 5 'easy to use' characters.

champion

other suggestions?

(Easy classes, or fun one-trick ponies are also OK - as they don't require knowing many rules)

smcmike
2017-07-27, 06:17 AM
Barbarian is very easy. The only resources that you have to track are rages and hit points, and it's otherwise mostly just "should I use reckless attack or not" and "which orc should I smash next?"

Rogues similarly have very few resources to track, and figuring out sneak attack isn't that hard.

TheUser
2017-07-27, 06:17 AM
Ok, so ... level 20 campaign, we're asked to make 5 characters. Relatively newbie asks me to make 5 'easy to use' characters.

champion

other suggestions?

(Easy classes, or fun one-trick ponies are also OK - as they don't require knowing many rules)

Rogues. Setting up for sneak attacks is pretty easy and skills are a lot easier to figure out than an array of spells so if you steer clear of arcane tricksters everything is a-ok.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-07-27, 06:20 AM
Monks are probably the most complicated of the 4 martial base classes, but for my money they're still easier to use than any spellcaster at level 20.

For number 5, you're probably looking at a martial/martial multiclass. Maybe Champion 3 / Barbarian 17?

nickl_2000
2017-07-27, 06:23 AM
In general the Melee will be easier than the spell casters since there are less overall options

1) Champion Fighter
2) Arcane Archer Fighter
3) Open Hand Monk
4) Thief Rogue
5) BearBarian
6) (in case you don't want two fighters) GOO Tomelock

Mhl7
2017-07-27, 06:27 AM
I think that here the key is that the main ability is as easy as possible. There can be something more complicated, but if it is a secondary/niche ability you are fine. Good example: Rogue. Main ability: in the same round you can hide and do a bunch of extra damage. Technical stuff that can be left out: you can use a bonus action to "dash", "hide" and "disengage". If you are a newbie you don't need to really know this, just remamber Hide+extra damage.

Bad example: Wizard. Well, your main ability is spellcasting, which requires you to do a lot of book reading. Useless without spells. Very bad if the player has limited knowledge of the player's handbook.

2. Bearbarian. While in rage do extra damage and half all the the damage received.
3. Paladin. Use spell slots only to smite.
4. Rogue. Probably thief subclass. Definitely not Arcane Trickster.
5. Moon Druid. Choose 3 forms and always use them. Spell slots are just a bonus pool of Hp.

The bonus of choosing Paladin or Druid is that, if the player is really engaged, with time will start to explore the other capabilities of his character (i.e. spells).

Rogerdodger557
2017-07-27, 06:53 AM
Evocation Wizard. You blow stuff up, and you can pick people to not blow up

Specter
2017-07-27, 07:19 AM
1) Champion
2) Thief/Assassin/Swashbuckler/Mastermind (essentially any non-Arcane Trickster Rogue)
3) Another Rogue
4) Barbarian (any)
5) Paladin (they can spend an entire adventure without casting a spell, only smiting

Whatever happens, don't make a Monk. It will be overwhelming.

hymer
2017-07-27, 07:27 AM
I would have agreed with rogue, until I saw one of my players dealing with it. Just how much that bonus action trips him up is amazing. The character also has Crossbow Expert, further muddying the waters for him.
So my point is that it also depends on the player.

Rhedyn
2017-07-27, 07:47 AM
Paladin

Most of to your good stuff is passive.

Findulidas
2017-07-27, 08:19 AM
I think he should pick bm sharpshooter and handcrossbow. That way he has options to consider to make him learn. If he doesnt use them its still a solid choice just to shoot things.

JellyPooga
2017-07-27, 09:00 AM
I would have agreed with rogue, until I saw one of my players dealing with it. Just how much that bonus action trips him up is amazing. The character also has Crossbow Expert, further muddying the waters for him.
So my point is that it also depends on the player.

Rogues appear easy to play on paper; few (if any) resources to track, easy to set up Sneak Attack, etc. In actual play, however, they are remarkably hard to play well. They have a lot of options open to them on a given turn;

- Do I skirmish or stay in melee? Both are very viable.
- What do I use my Bonus Action on? There's so many options!
- Do I attack for damage or do I use a Skill, which I am very good at? Athletics is the primary example, but isn't the only one.
- Do I use equipment (Thief) or a spell (AT)?

The list really does go on, especially when options start opening up at higher levels, such as UMD (Thief). That's ignoring the vast array of different character types and options available to the Rogue chassis; striker, skirmisher, tank, support...these are all viable Rogue builds and the list doesn't stop there, especially if multiclassing enters the mix; a dip in practically any other class can dramatically change the focus and abilities of a Rogue.

Rogues can be easy to play if you're happy not living up to the classes potential, but if you really want to make the most of it and stay competetive, it really doesn't belong on this list.

Sigreid
2017-07-27, 04:00 PM
I don't think fighter and rogue are easy mode. While they may have fewer moving parts, it's a lot more challenging bringing their abilities to bare effectively than if you have a spell that simply does exactly what it says.

lunaticfringe
2017-07-27, 04:11 PM
Eldritch Blaster Lock. Hex, Blast, Rinse, Repeat. They have the option of swapping out spells & Invocations when they level up. This is good for when they get a better handle on the rules and start playing tactically. They have few spell slots always at Max level that they recover every rest. I think it's a good intro class.

Battlemaster Archer is fairly easy to pick up.

Kane0
2017-07-27, 05:12 PM
Fighter (Champion) or barbarian (Totem): Simple bruiser, only a handful of things to decide in combat and plenty of space to grow.

Rogue (Thief): Easy sneaky character, plenty of options and difficult to mess up as long as you follow the basics (dont get swarmed, team up on targets, avoid disadvantage). Skills offer lots of choices out of combat.

Warlock (GoO, Tome): The simplest caster, pick out always-on invocations and rely on eldritch blast plus a few spells of choice (eg hex, hold person, counterspell, banishment). Tome provides rituals for out of combat fun.

If theyre feeling confident:
Paladin (any): All of the smites! Plus maybe a bless or two.
Cleric (life): Only four spells you need to know: Guidance, Sacred Flame, Bless, Healing Word. Later Spiritual Weapon and Spiritual Guardians, wade in and/or channel when called for by the team.

suplee215
2017-07-27, 06:02 PM
I recommend against the Warlock, any type. Sure, in theory you can just spam eldritch blast all day. In actuality you end up with a new player with too many options every time they level up and asking "why should I take this over this and what does this do". Plus explaining the complex spell system when they never dealt with the usual spell system before both confuses them this time and the next time they play a caster.

Kane0
2017-07-27, 06:19 PM
Sometimes I think new players get babied a bit too much in regards to casters. People point to champion fighters and say 'noobs use this' but even they have short rest resources and a couple decisions to make. All new players will need help during character creation regardless of what they are going to be so why not just just introduce things as required? Cantrips/rituals are always available and people have been dealing with spell slots for decades now, i'm sure its not such an arcane concept that new players cannot handle it unless they have literally never been exposed to any sort of gaming featuring resource expenditure.

I'm currently DMing LMoP with two players, one veteran and one new. Each player has two PCs, the vet is a cleric and paladin and the newbie is a bard and champion fighter. No issues so far except for reminding what recharges on what rest.
I will say this though: Spell cards and resources like them to organise and keep track of abilities is a godsend, and everyone is using a character sheet I made in excel which allows us to insert comments to remind us of things we might otherwise need to consult the book for without cluttering the page.

BW022
2017-07-27, 08:34 PM
Rogues appear easy to play on paper; few (if any) resources to track, easy to set up Sneak Attack, etc. In actual play, however, they are remarkably hard to play well. They have a lot of options open to them on a given turn; ...

Agreed. They also have the disadvantage that if you don't play them well, they are not a forgiving class. If you forget to bonus action disengage and move away, your low AC and HP can mean you drop quickly. Forget your uncanny dodge, you drop also. Further, out of combat they are typically expected to scout, look for traps, deal with locked doors, etc. all which aren't a good role for a new player.

Decstarr
2017-07-28, 03:36 AM
I can't help but wonder why a relative newbie should ever be put in a position to play up to 5 level 20 characters.

The obvious answer is, use 1 "easy" class and just create 5 entirely different characters around the class. So his skills will remain the exact same, but his roleplaying would be different. A really reckless guy once, super cautious in the next incarnation, things like that. I'd argue that a relative newbie would take way more out of that than playing up to 5 different level 20 classes. That's just utterly overwhelming, especially if bad luck strikes and he dies more than once in one session.

So give him a level 20 rogue and make one incarnation ranged, another mellee, one guy is super stealthy, silent, not talking a lot, while the other one is the ever boasting "i'll kill you all" type of guy.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-07-28, 09:11 AM
I recommend against the Warlock, any type.

Especially when you're starting at level 20! Picking 20 levels of spells known is tricky even for experienced players...

Sometimes I think new players get babied a bit too much in regards to casters.

I'd agree with this but it seems that, in this case, the newbie has asked for an easy-to-use character themselves. *shrug* May as well give them what they're asking for.

Finger6842
2017-07-28, 09:17 AM
I can't help but wonder why a relative newbie should ever be put in a position to play up to 5 level 20 characters.

The obvious answer is, use 1 "easy" class and just create 5 entirely different characters around the class. So his skills will remain the exact same, but his roleplaying would be different. A really reckless guy once, super cautious in the next incarnation, things like that. I'd argue that a relative newbie would take way more out of that than playing up to 5 different level 20 classes. That's just utterly overwhelming, especially if bad luck strikes and he dies more than once in one session.

So give him a level 20 rogue and make one incarnation ranged, another mellee, one guy is super stealthy, silent, not talking a lot, while the other one is the ever boasting "i'll kill you all" type of guy.

Is the Newby playing all 5 or choosing 1? If it needs to be a party.

Life Priest, simple healer
Bear Barbarian, simple melee
Thief Rogue, easiest scout
Revised Ranger, shoot arrows

Lore Bard, inspire, shoot arrows, backup heals
OR
Paladin, smite and aura, backup heals

In caster cases go for utility casting with limited damage spells
Level 20 PCs should never be simple = boring but I do feel these are easiest to play if not generate.

Spiritchaser
2017-07-28, 10:39 AM
I'd submit swashbuckler as one of the best

Plenty of power at low levels with a relatively basic mechanic

Lots of fun to RP because pirate.

Still has some room to grow into at higher levels if you want

RulesJD
2017-07-28, 08:48 PM
You know what? Monk.

Why? Because when they go "oh man I wish I could....", chances are a level 20 Monk can do it. Walk on walls? Blam. Don't like what you rolled for something? Kapow. Just want to be invisible everywhere? Donezo. Want to instakill enemies? Onepunchman.

High level Monk is the ultimate "I don't care about rules" class because they can just do whatever they want and likely get away with it.

Okay so not actually serious. Champ Fighter or Bearbarian. Done.