PDA

View Full Version : Rune Magic

Devouring Rage
2007-08-08, 05:06 PM
Rune Magic
This is a magic system I've been working on for a little while now, and I thought that if I moved it over to new forums that I'd get more ideas from people that might be interested in it.

The system is still very rough because I'm still playing around with ideas, but things should start to smooth out soon enough.

Since I'd rather not update it, I guess I'll just give a link. It's on the WotC forums. I'd like it if any of you would take a look at it and give some ideas and/or opinions.

Rune Magic (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=895450)

Oh, and it's not at all complete. Still being developed.

Paragon Badger
2007-08-08, 06:41 PM
An incredibly interesting concept and radically different from most, if not all, of the non-core (and core) classes I've seen. I can't wait to hear more! (mainly how they are applied mid-battle.)

Devouring Rage
2007-08-08, 07:22 PM
An incredibly interesting concept and radically different from most, if not all, of the non-core (and core) classes I've seen. I can't wait to hear more! (mainly how they are applied mid-battle.)

Yeah, well if you'd like to see the most current (I will update this one, but this is mostly just to gather interest in it for outside opinions) version then you can go to the WotC (Or the new "Gleemax" :mad: ) forum's thread here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=895450).

Devouring Rage
2007-08-10, 11:56 PM
I moved the link up to the first post and deleted the reserves so that people can just click the link. Looks better over there anyway. :smalltongue:

Oh, and *bump*

Ghal Marak
2007-08-11, 12:29 AM
Huh, sounds awesome. :smallsmile:

So let me get this strait:

At level 1 you get one fundamental rune. Let’s go with Fire for this one.
Anyway, next level you gain an additional rune. In that case it would be another one like Ice right? Well what about the levels listed below Intricate? An example of what I mean would be Vigor and Perception for Fire. Are those automatically known, or do you have to select the rune again to get that use for it?

Devouring Rage
2007-08-11, 12:47 AM
Well that's the point, I'm really just running around with my head cut off.

My plan so far is that you'll be able to know x amount of runes at any given level, you may choose between either base runes (the obvious 1st level choice), alignment runes, or augmentation runes. Base runes have a single effect at 1st level, and when combined with an augment rune (mechanics aren't solid yet), you produce a different effect. The Fundamental, Simple, Complex, and Intricate are like the Warlock's Least, Lesser, Greater, and Dark invocations except it just adds another possibility for the runes you already have. The chart should have the levels you gain the other complexities of runes.

Ghal Marak
2007-08-11, 01:18 AM
Hmmm... so how can I help? Just toss random ideas at you? :smallconfused:

Devouring Rage
2007-08-11, 01:22 AM
Shoot.

Really. That's why I posted it here, so I can get some ideas flowing and such. I haven't updated anything in a while due to a lack of work on the project, and if you post it on the WotC forum you might hear back from it more quickly, but do as you wish.

Well I'm heading to bed now, hope to see some good stuff form you.

Ghal Marak
2007-08-11, 01:45 AM
Well, funny thing is I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas. :smalleek:

Let’s see here.... well, I have an idea for a Feat. That BaelinWhale person touched on it in their first post. It was about combining the runes. Well, as s/he said, it would get too cumbersome if the Runescribe gets it automatically. SO, make it a feat that lets the Runescribe combine any two runes into a unique rune, but doing so prevents the use of those two runes individually for that day. Like a Fire rune and an Air rune mixed to produce an affect like Fireball. It would be balanced by the fact that they could have only one combined rune at one time, and it costs two runes to make it.

That's all I've got for now. Maybe a nights sleep will jog some more ideas out of me. :smallbiggrin:

Devouring Rage
2007-08-11, 10:36 AM
Right now I'm just working to complete the basics of the system before I go into the base class, feats, prestige classes, and the like. I want to see how it's going to look before I modify it with other options.

As far as a feat that combines runes, I was thinking of taking that idea and making it into a prestige class. Probably class feature specific to every combination I feel would be cool. 5 levels so I can make them rather quickly and won't waste too much time on them.

Devouring Rage
2007-08-13, 07:01 AM
I made a few updates if anyone wants to check. Started naming the runes, although now I'll have to reorganize the lists alphabetically all over again. :smallfrown: