PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Dagger of Throwing question

Lord Torath
2017-07-27, 10:16 AM
How often can you throw a Dagger of Throwing that returns when thrown? Does it return instantly after each throw, allowing multiple throws in a single round? Or would it return at the end of the round, allowing a single throw?

LibraryOgre
2017-07-27, 11:09 AM
BTB, the Dagger of Throwing doesn't mention the ability to return (which I always thought it had).

The Axe of Hurling says "in the same round", which to me indicates that, even if you have an improved ROF, you only get the one shot with it per round.

Rule of cool has it come back to you for every throw in your ROF, though, unless caught by someone cooler.

Tinkerer
2017-07-27, 11:18 AM
Are you talking about a Dagger of Throwing which has been enchanted to also return or a Throwing Dagger of Returning? Because in the first instance it depends on what type of enchantment has been put on it but in the second case it can only be thrown once a round. Note that this is based off of inference since it doesn't specify which it is however they do have a throwing dagger which can specifically be thrown multiple times in a round and it is much more expensive.

Edit: Swordsaged... although since this is a 2nd edition question I guess it's back to ninja'd?

Lord Torath
2017-07-27, 01:25 PM
BTB, the Dagger of Throwing doesn't mention the ability to return (which I always thought it had).

The Axe of Hurling says "in the same round", which to me indicates that, even if you have an improved ROF, you only get the one shot with it per round.

Yeah, the Hammer of Thunderbolts doesn't say anything about returning, either, but it does say it can only be thrown once every other round (because it's so exhausting to throw). I don't think that means you need to go pick it up after throwing it. I think the implication is still there.

I've run it both ways: once per round, and immediately after impact.

Rule of cool has it come back to you for every throw in your ROF, though, unless caught by someone cooler.See: Gloves of Missile Snaring :smallcool:

LibraryOgre
2017-07-27, 01:37 PM
See: Gloves of Missile Snaring :smallcool:

Juggling proficiency. Necessary if you're gonna play Jack Burton.

Lord Torath
2017-07-27, 02:06 PM
Juggling proficiency. Necessary if you're gonna play Jack Burton.Ooo! I should take that for my (hopefully) Spelljamming Swashbuckler! She's got Jumping and Tumbling, but Juggling would be a great addition!

"hopefully" because, while we've found and stocked our Spelljammer, we've not yet launched it into space, and I don't know if/when the DM will schedule the next game. :smallfrown: