PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Is there any way to gain immunity to the "Entrapping" planar effect?

LittlKingsguard
2017-07-27, 06:00 PM
The planes of Elysium and Hades in the DMG both have the "Entrapping" planar quality, which forces all non-natives to make a Will save every day or lose all memories, motivation, or desire to leave. More specifically, though, I'm asking about the plane of Dolurrh, in Eberron. Dolurrh has a similar trait trait by the same name, that additionally turns the victim into an incorporeal "Shade" upon failure.

Context is that an Eberron BBEG essentially decided that since Eberron doesn't have a "Heaven", he's just going to have to build it himself, and doesn't care how many people he has to kill to succeed. Since that plan involves building a "safe zone" in Dolurrh, he obviously has to spend some time in Dolurrh.

As the BBEG losing his mind to the Despair of the Dead because he rolled a 1 on a routine task of his plan is a very anticlimactic end to a plot, he needs immunity to the effect. I don't want to fiat or homebrew a solution to this if I don't have to, so I'm asking for suggestions.

Planar Shepard with a Dolurrh affinity works, but it doesn't match the theme of the BBEG. Also, I want to continue ignoring that broken PrC's existence.
Avoid Planar Effects (and, by extension, Planar Tolerance) explicitly calls out Entrapping as an effect it does not protect from, so no dice there.
The effect, despite its consequences, is not called out as mind-affecting, so Mind Blank won't save you.
Wish and Miracle can revert an Entrapped character, but giving a level 20 caster a level 17+ casting cohort is going to make him more dangerous than I want.
The Craft Contingent Spell feat + Wish/Miracle works, but that's both expensive and another stupidly powerful ability I don't want to give a already powerful caster.

Any other ideas?

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-27, 06:02 PM
If I recall correctly, Mind Blank should work; Cowl of Warding is an item of Mind Blank, so that could be a solution.

Edit: Mind Blank blocks against all attempts to alter the user's mind, not just stuff with the Mind-Effecting tag.

zlefin
2017-07-27, 06:06 PM
get that feat which makes will saves not autofail on a 1?
or learn the ToB maneuver for will saves replacement, (which due to being a skill roll also isn't subject to autofail on 1)

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-27, 06:08 PM
or learn the ToB maneuver for will saves replacement, (which due to being a skill roll also isn't subject to autofail on 1)

The only issue with Moment of the Perfect Mind is that you need ranks in Concentration.

As I mentioned above, Mind Blank should work

LittlKingsguard
2017-07-27, 06:11 PM
The effect, despite its consequences, is not called out as mind-affecting, so Mind Blank won't save you.

Entrapping isn't explicitly mind-effecting, and even if it was, Dolurrh's specific version also includes polymorphic attributes (transforming the victim into a shade) that are also bad.

LittlKingsguard
2017-07-27, 06:15 PM

The problem is that the Will saves get increasing harder. DC 15 + 1 for each consecutive day spent. no matter how many ranks he has, eventually he's going to fail.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-27, 06:17 PM
Entrapping isn't explicitly mind-effecting, and even if it was, Dolurrh's specific version also includes polymorphic attributes (transforming the victim into a shade) that are also bad.

The subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects.

Mind Blank will protect against entrapment effects that influence your mind.

Planar Bubble would also work.

zlefin
2017-07-27, 07:59 PM
The problem is that the Will saves get increasing harder. DC 15 + 1 for each consecutive day spent. no matter how many ranks he has, eventually he's going to fail.

so step outside for one day every ten or twenty to reset the count?

Wristlet Eater
2017-07-27, 08:12 PM
Isn't it nonoutsiders that are affected by the entrapping, not nonnatives?

Malimar
2017-07-27, 08:25 PM
Isn't it nonoutsiders that are affected by the entrapping, not nonnatives?
No, it's non-natives.

A visitor to Dolurrh experiences increasing apathy and despair while there. Colors become grayer and less vivid, sounds duller, and all experiences tainted with ennui. At the conclusion of every day (of subjective time) spent in Dolurrh, any non-native must make a Will saving throw (DC 15 + the number of consecutive days in Dolurrh). Failure indicates that the individual has fallen entirely under the control of the plane, becoming an incorporeal shade, an outsider native of the plane.
Travelers trapped by Dolurrh cannot leave the plane of their own volition and have no desire to do so. Memories of any previous life fade into nothingness, and it takes a wish or a miracle spell to return them.
That said, Wristlet Eater makes a good point: might the character simply be a native to Dolurrh? ECS specifies nalfeshnees, lemures, and maruts are native (also Sorrowsworn demon and some other stuff from MMIII). Demon, devil, or inevitable, gone rogue or redeemed or hit with a Helm of Opposite Alignment or something?

Wristlet Eater
2017-07-27, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty sure the entries for Elysium and Hades in the DMG say "nonoutsider". So there are different methods of coping with Elysium/Hades entrapping and Dolurrh entrapping.

Naturalized Denizen helps with being nonnative as it means you are never extraplanar wherever you go.

Necroticplague
2017-07-28, 12:04 AM
Planar Bubble basically overrides planar traits in a small area around you with those of wherever your native to. Useful for all manner of interplanar travel safety. Plus, fits in his fluff that he decides to just override the natural order of the plane to make sure his will be done.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-28, 11:16 AM
Planar Bubble basically overrides planar traits in a small area around you with those of wherever your native to. Useful for all manner of interplanar travel safety. Plus, fits in his fluff that he decides to just override the natural order of the plane to make sure his will be done.

Planar Pocket should work too, but it's:

A. 9th level
B. From Dragon Magazine.

Braininthejar2
2017-07-28, 02:48 PM
Well, you're saying non-homebrew. But his plan is specifically to homebrew an anomaly within the plane - won't he be immune to the effect while in his base? (perhaps starting with the throne room, and expanding as his plan advances? )