PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Aid Another Animal Companion - An interesting build challenge

Ganonphile
2017-07-27, 11:12 PM
So, as a pathfinder player, I don't necessarily have access to all the nifty animal companion stuff available in 3.5. However, I did have the thought of recreating the Supermount in Pathfinder, with a focus on Aid Another. I also won't be able to link anything... I spend most of my time lurking, and don't have more than 10 posts. Sorry!

Rules:

No Warbulls, dinosaurs, or warcat.
No 3.5 templates
If you know of interesting 3.5 feats to use with this for the animal companion to take, feel free to mention them, but they shouldn't be used in making the build work.
Any feat works, but if you take one that isn't on the standard list, then you need to note that you boosted the Intelligence of the animal companion to 3 via one of the innate ability boosts (like the one everyone gets at 4 HD).

I'll go ahead and start for this.

Ape Animal Companion (Intelligence boosted at 4 HD)

Required Tricks:

Aid
Guard

Required Feat List:

1.) Combat Reflexes
3.) Bodyguard
5.) EWP: Whip
7.) Weapon Focus: Whip
9.) Whip Mastery

Equipment List:
+5 Benevolent Scorpion Whip
+5 Studded Leather Barding (No Armor Check Penalty, no penalty on his everything)

The result: A companion with a 20 ft. reach who can use Aid Another as an attack of opportunity to give an ally +12 to AC. And who can still do okay damage at 1d4+Strength, a bite attack, and a claw attack. If he's a Ranger's Animal Companion, he gets that lovely boost from the Ranger's Favored Enemies, to boot.

Thoughts? Improvements? Let's get building!

EDIT: Added the Pathfinder prefix.

Firest Kathon
2017-07-28, 05:50 AM
This Paizo blog entry (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lc1y) may be relevant for you, it talks about intelligent animals using tools and weapons.

Ganonphile
2017-07-28, 06:06 PM
Oh, that entry just takes this idea and completely ruins it. Sad day. :smallsigh: