PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Sphinxfolk (possible at LA+1?)

rferries
2017-07-27, 11:52 PM
Another low-power monstrous race for PCs. Flight and natural attacks are the main issues when converting Sphinxes; here those advantages are shuffled off into racial feats as per usual. I see this race as being lawful and hierarchial (more like Egyptian society than the D&D Sphinxes),but you could always have an independent dame like the Greek Sphinx too.

Sphinxfolk
https://i.imgur.com/Ydg1tQJ.jpg

Physical Description: Sphinxfolk are virtually identical to true sphinxes or lammasu, albeit smaller in size. They have the bodies of lions, great feathered wings, and regal humanoid faces. Males possess flowing manes, whereas females simply grow their humanoid hair long.

Society: Sphinxfolk are a generally noble and cultured race, living in the desert ruins of a prior civilisation (possibly their own). Their numbers are few, moreso than even the other monstrous races, and they are generally organised into local prides. Within each pride they obey a strict hierarchy, where advancement is difficult but still possible through age, wisdom, or combat prowess.

Relations: Sphinxfolk are generally seen as trustworthy and are welcomed in desert cities; they benefit in particular from the fact that so many other monsters are seen as much worse in comparison. A sphinxfolk that leaves its pride may rise to the position of advisor or even leader for some humanoid societies.

Alignment and Religion: It is said that sphinxfolk are of divine origin - celestial beings sent to the mortal plane long ago to serve as wise and powerful leaders and protectors. Although this legend might never be verified, it is true that sphinxfolk have a strong tendency to be both Good and Lawful. They worship deities of nobility and the sun.

Adventurers: Sphinxfolk are generally lawful but also very proud, and tend to chafe at junior positions in a pride. It is not uncommon for a sphinxfolk to set out into the world to defeat evil and make a name for themselves, that they might earn the right to lead a priide of their own one day.

http://i.imgur.com/jsfMgQt.jpg?1
Sphinxfolk Racial Traits
+2 Charisma, +2 Strength: Sphinxfolk are powerful and proud.

Medium: Sphinxfolk are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Fast Speed: Sphinxfolk have a base speed of 40 feet.

Magical Beast: Sphinxfolk are magical beasts.

Darkvision: Sphinxfolk have darkvision out to 60 feet.

Claws (Ex): A sphinxfolk has a two primary natural claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage each.

Glide: A falling Sphinxfolk (or one that deliberately leaps from a high place) may instead choose to fly at a speed of 40 feet with clumsy maneuverability. They may not ascend while flying in this way and must descend at least 5 feet for each round of flight.

Lore (Ex): This ability functions exactly as the loremaster ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/loremaster.htm#lore) of the same name, using the sphinxfolk's character level as their loremaster level. A sphinxfolk does not gain the greater lore or true lore abilities unless it takes actual levels in the loremaster class.

Magical Beast Empathy (Su): This ability functions as the druid's wild empathy, save that a sphinxfolk can only use this ability on magical beasts. A sphinxfolk gains a +4 racial bonus on this check.

Morphology (Ex): Any armor or shield a Sphinxfolk uses must be adapted for its quadrupedal form. A sphinxfolk cannot wear magic items in the hand or foot slots, and may only wear one magic ring each (on their tails), but they may wear an additional pair of bracers on their hind legs.

Languages: Sphinxfolk adventurers begin play speaking Common. Sphinxfolk with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Auran, Celestial, Dwarven, Elven, and Sylvan.

Level Adjustment: +1.

Favoured Class: Cleric.

New Feats
https://i.imgur.com/WPcKJf0.jpg

Aquiline Grace
Your wings allow to fly rather than merely glide.

Prerequisite
Sphinxfolk, character level 6th.

Benefit
You gain a fly speed equal to twice your base land speed with average maneuverability.

Bestial Visage
Rather than a humanoid head,you have the head of a hawk, ram or some other animal.

Prerequisite
Sphinxfolk, character level 3rd.

Benefit
You gain either a gore attack or a bite attack as a secondary natural attack. In either case the attack deals 1d6 damage.

If you have the head of a ram or similar creature, you gain the scent special quality.

If you have the head of a hawk or similar creature, you gain a +4 racial bonus on Spot checks.

Cheetah's Celerity
You are as fast as one of the spotted cats.

Prerequisite
Sphinxfolk, Run.

Benefit
Your base land speed increases by 10 feet.

Divine Ancestry
You are a shining example of what Sphinxfolk once were... or a horrifying harbinger of what your people might become.

Prerequisite
Sphinxfolk, Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks, character level 12th.

Benefit
If you are good-aligned, you gain the celestial creature template. If you are evil-aligned, you gain the fiendish creature template. Ignore the level adjustment from these templates.

Special
If you are neither good-aligned nor evil-aligned, you gain no benefit from this feat.

Greater Divine Ancestry
You embody the true divine nature of your kind.

Prerequisite
Sphinxfolk, Aquiline Grace, Divine Heritage, Knowledge (religion) 9 ranks, character level 15th.

Benefit
If you possess the celestial creature template, it becomes the half-celestial template. If you possess the fiendish creature template, it becomes the half-fiend template. Ignore the level adjustment from these templates.

Special
If you are neither good-aligned nor evil-aligned, you gain no benefit from this feat.

Feline Ferocity
You are as vicious in combat as any cat.

Prerequisite
Sphinxfolk, character level 6th.

Benefit
You gain the Pounce and Rake special attacks. Each of your rake attacks deals 1d4 damage plus one-half your Strength modifier.

Special
A fighter may select Feline Ferocity as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Growth
You are a particularly large member of your race.

Prerequisites
Nonhumanoid, character level 12th.

Benefits
You grow to the next size category. Use the rules for advancing monsters (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases) for determining your new ability scores, natural armor, natural attack damage, and size bonuses and penalties.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you do, increase your size to the next largest category. This may allow you to qualify for other feats with size prerequisites.

Lammasu Heritage
One of your ancestors was one of the sacred lammasu.

Prerequisite
Sphinxfolk, character level 12th, any good alignment.

Benefit
You radiate a continuous magic circle against evil that affects a 20-foot radius. You may suppress or reactivate this ability as a free action.

Leopard's Grace
You are adept at clambering over pyramids and ruins, as well as through tree canopies.

Prerequisite
Sphinxfolk, character level 3rd.

Benefit
You gain a climb speed equal to your base land speed. You have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Mighty Roar
You can unleash a terrible roar to frighten and deafen your foes.

Prerequisite
Sphinxfolk, character level 9th, Constitution 12.

Benefit
You may roar to duplicate the effects of the shout spell (DC 10 plus one-half your character level plus your Constitution modifier, caster level equal to your character level). Whenever you roar, you may also make an Intimidate check against any creature caught in the shout to demoralise them for one round. This is a supernatural sonic breath weapon. Whenever you roar, you must wait 1d4 rounds to roar again.

Sphinx's Lore
You are as knowledgeable as a gynosphinx.

Prerequisites
Sphinxfolk.

Benefits
You gain the bardic lore ability as a bard of your character level. If you already possess levels in bard or loremaster, you gain a +2 racial bonus on bardic lore and lore checks.

Riddle of the Sphinx
You can outwit your foes with a complex riddle.

Prerequisite
Sphinxfolk, Intelligence 12, Sphinx's Lore.

Benefit
Whenever an encounter begins, as a full-round action you may name a Knowledge skill and pose a riddle relating to that skill to your opponents. Until they solve the riddle by succeeding at an Intelligence check (DC 10 plus your ranks in the relevant Knowledge skill plus your Intelligence modifier) you gain an insight bonus on your attacks, saves, and AC equal to your Intelligence modifier during that encounter. As a full-round action any opponent that has heard the riddle may make an attempt to solve the it, and they may make any number of attempts.

Mindless opponents and opponents that do not share a language with you (or that cannot speak an answer aloud or telepathically) ignore the bonuses you gain from this feat.

Tiger's Subterfuge
You are as adept as a tiger at prowling through a jungle.

Prerequisite
Sphinxfolk.

Benefit
Hide and Swim are always considered class skills for you. You always have maximum ranks in those skills (regain any skill points you invested in those skills when you take this feat).

Knitifine
2017-07-28, 02:13 AM
LA seems right. I don't see a good reason to change their magic item slots tbh.

rferries
2017-07-28, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I felt they can't really wear rings or boots as they don't have hands or feet, just paws. However that's very negotiable.

Koshindan
2017-07-28, 11:07 PM
I have been on a Sphinx kick for the past month, so this was an awesome read.

I was wondering though, should they have a bonus to climb to help justify their gliding abilities? Also some pyramid/stonework fluff/feats might be pretty cool too.

rferries
2017-07-29, 01:29 AM
I'm glad you liked it! The glide is really just a stepping stone to the flight feat, the standard Sphinxes don't have Climb abilities so I'm not sure it'd be appropriate to include them. However I'm considering adding a skill bonus to various Knowledge checks (including architecture and engineering for pyramids/other Egyptian structures as you mention), so Climb could be included too.

Debihuman
2017-08-01, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure a fighter should be able to take Feline Ferocity as a feat. Pouncing is fine but does the fighter suddenly gain claws on his feet? What if he is wearing boots?

I would change this to:
Special: A fighter may select Feline Ferocity as one of his fighter bonus feats but cannot make rake attacks unless his feet are bare.
Debby

rferries
2017-08-01, 05:56 PM
The idea is that only a Sphinxfolk can take Feline Ferocity, so they already have claws on their hind legs (they just don't know how to use them for rake attacks until they take they feat, in the same way a human doesn't know how to throw a proper punch/kick until they take Improved Unarmed Strike).

As mentioned under Morphology, Sphinxfolk can't wear boots/shoes anyways so their hind claws should always be exposed. However I'll edit it so they can't wear gloves either on their forelimbs (do magic gloves prevent a lizardfolk etc from making claw attacks? I feel they should).

On a side note, I'm particularly honoured that you're critiquing my stuff! I've been a long-time admirer of your work here, thank you for the insights. :)

Debihuman
2017-08-01, 06:35 PM
You listed a Special under the Feline Ferocity that a fighter can take this as one of his bonus feats. Doh, I was thinking that any fighter could take this feat, not that it was for sphinxfolk.

Still magical footwear and rake attacks seem contradictory. Is there a ruling on this anywhere? I'm fairly sure there was something about that for Chakras in Magic of Incarnum , but I don't have access to my books at the moment. Looking online is just proving difficult as my Googlefu is lacking.

Debby

rferries
2017-08-01, 06:42 PM
Ha yeah, I've churned out so many feats that it's hard to read the prereqs/benefits/specials in discrete bundles I think.

I quite agree about the realism of it, hence the Morphology thing. I got the idea off of a naga supplement I read once, where they had to have a magic item that functioned as a pair of arms if they wanted to use rings/gloves etc... could be remembering it incorrectly but it just makes sense that different body types would have different restrictions. For now I've made it so that sphinxfolk can't use gloves/gauntlets or boots/shoes so their claws should always be exposed.

Baby Gary
2017-08-01, 07:26 PM
you the Divine ancestry feat you might want to add a prereq of any good alignment.

rferries
2017-08-01, 07:48 PM
Ooops can't believe I missed that, fixed.

Baby Gary
2017-08-01, 10:14 PM
also I have another idea for a feat
the exact same thing as divine ancestry but evil instead, maybe called something like "fallen Sphinx"

also another idea for a feat is something that changes the type from magical beast to outsider, I am thinking character level 6, must be sphinxfolk. possible name is acolyte of the gods

rferries
2017-08-02, 01:00 AM
Hmmm that's definitely symmetrical but I'm not sure about the flavour. Mythology has two broad types of Sphinx:

1) The Egyptian Sphinx, a representation of the Pharaoh as a righteous divine entity (hence the Divine Ancestry feat).

2) The Greek Sphinx, a monstrous riddler (hence the Riddle of the Sphinx feat, which I admit I'm not happy with).

There's not really precedent for a fiendish template, but then again the Greek Sphinx was arguably a divine entity (her sister the Hydra had an immortal head, her father Typhon stood toe-to-toe with the gods in battle...)

Basically, a fiendish Divine Feat would be "balanced" I don't know about it, flavour-wise. I suppose it would be easy enough to incorporate into Divine Ancestry though: "If you are good-aligned, you gain the celestial creature template. If you are evil-aligned, you gain the fiendish creature template. If you neither good- nor evil-aligned, you gain either the celestial creature or fiendish creature template (once you select a template, that choice cannot be changed)."

As for the outsider feat, I feel like it would have to be next in a chain (with Divine Ancestry as a prerequisite). Maybe something that upgrades the celestial/fiendish creature template you get from Divine Ancestry into a full-blown half-celestial/half-fiendish template. Flavour-wise you wouldn't be an acolyte of the gods so much as becoming one yourself (in keeping with the Egyptian Sphinx).

Baby Gary
2017-08-02, 09:53 PM
Hmmm that's definitely symmetrical but I'm not sure about the flavour. Mythology has two broad types of Sphinx:

1) The Egyptian Sphinx, a representation of the Pharaoh as a righteous divine entity (hence the Divine Ancestry feat).

2) The Greek Sphinx, a monstrous riddler (hence the Riddle of the Sphinx feat, which I admit I'm not happy with).

There's not really precedent for a fiendish template, but then again the Greek Sphinx was arguably a divine entity (her sister the Hydra had an immortal head, her father Typhon stood toe-to-toe with the gods in battle...)

Basically, a fiendish Divine Feat would be "balanced" I don't know about it, flavour-wise. I suppose it would be easy enough to incorporate into Divine Ancestry though: "If you are good-aligned, you gain the celestial creature template. If you are evil-aligned, you gain the fiendish creature template. If you neither good- nor evil-aligned, you gain either the celestial creature or fiendish creature template (once you select a template, that choice cannot be changed)."

As for the outsider feat, I feel like it would have to be next in a chain (with Divine Ancestry as a prerequisite). Maybe something that upgrades the celestial/fiendish creature template you get from Divine Ancestry into a full-blown half-celestial/half-fiendish template. Flavour-wise you wouldn't be an acolyte of the gods so much as becoming one yourself (in keeping with the Egyptian Sphinx).

I agree with you on that. When I think of Sphinx I normally think of the Egyptian one, this creature is definitely based more on that than on the Greek one. However my idea with getting the fiendish template is that you are a sort of fallen hero. Think of a Erinyes, they are fallen angels. I also really like the idea of playing a fallen character (as in an evil angel, one who fell to the 'dark'). This is just my opinion, if it doesn't go with what you have in mind I don't mind.

On another note I love this race, I have a very cool character idea that uses this race, a sort of knight with a very strict moral code, I was thinking a arcane gish (probably sorcerer based).

rferries
2017-08-03, 03:42 AM
Thanks for all your feedback. I've edited Divine Ancestry and inserted Greater Divine Ancestry. Now Sphinxfolk can be as corruptible as Angels :) I like your character concept!

Also added Leopard's Grace, and gave Bestial Visage a bit more utility (scent/Spot).

khadgar567
2017-08-03, 04:01 AM
can sphinx be come kindred?
but i like the race.

rferries
2017-08-03, 04:13 AM
can sphinx be come kindred?
but i like the race.

Now don't get cheeky! :D

Baby Gary
2017-08-03, 04:50 PM
Thanks for all your feedback. I've edited Divine Ancestry and inserted Greater Divine Ancestry. Now Sphinxfolk can be as corruptible as Angels :) I like your character concept!

Also added Leopard's Grace, and gave Bestial Visage a bit more utility (scent/Spot).

I don't think greater divine ancestry should have Aquiline Grace as a prereq, that is too many feats in my opinion. however maybe a prereq of X ranks in know religion should be in there though.

rferries
2017-08-04, 12:15 AM
I don't think greater divine ancestry should have Aquiline Grace as a prereq, that is too many feats in my opinion. however maybe a prereq of X ranks in know religion should be in there though.

The half-celestial and half-fiendish templates grant a LOT of benefits (ability scores, resistances, spell-like abilities, etc.), so I figured you should be investing at least three feats in them, and it seemed to make sense that if you're truly divine you need wings first (which the templates also improve). To be honest even with a 3-feat investment the templates are probably still too powerful, so I definitely wouldn't reduce the pre-reqs. If anything Knowledge (religion) could be added as an additional prereq! :D

Baby Gary
2017-08-04, 04:17 PM
The half-celestial and half-fiendish templates grant a LOT of benefits (ability scores, resistances, spell-like abilities, etc.), so I figured you should be investing at least three feats in them, and it seemed to make sense that if you're truly divine you need wings first (which the templates also improve). To be honest even with a 3-feat investment the templates are probably still too powerful, so I definitely wouldn't reduce the pre-reqs. If anything Knowledge (religion) could be added as an additional prereq! :D

My bad, I was thinking of the wrong template. Also neither of the feats are bad (I'm looking at you dodge!) however I think that ranks in know religion should be added, I would say 6 for the first on and 9 for the second

rferries
2017-08-05, 02:32 PM
My bad, I was thinking of the wrong template. Also neither of the feats are bad (I'm looking at you dodge!) however I think that ranks in know religion should be added, I would say 6 for the first on and 9 for the second

Done and done! Thanks for your advice :)

Baby Gary
2017-08-05, 10:49 PM
One final thing, I think that Sphinxfolk are low +1, also when I think of Egyptian sphinxes i think of big things, so what about making it large? that would open up more roles for the sphinxfolk to be played in which is good, also would it have reach?

Waker
2017-08-06, 12:00 AM
Sphinx are one of my favorite mythological creatures, so it's good to see them getting some love.

+2 Charisma, +2 Strength: Sphinxfolk are powerful and proud.
Medium: Sphinxfolk are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Fast Speed: Sphinxfolk have a base speed of 40 feet.
Magical Beast: Sphinxfolk are magical beasts.
Darkvision: Sphinxfolk have darkvision out to 60 feet.
Claws (Ex): A sphinxfolk has a two primary natural claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage each.
Pretty good so far. Net bonus on stats, speed boost, natural attacks and non-humanoid type give you a slight defense against low-level spells.

Glide: A falling Sphinxfolk (or one that deliberately leaps from a high place) may instead choose to fly at a speed of 40 feet with clumsy maneuverability. They may not ascend while flying in this way and must descend at least 5 feet for each round of flight.
Perhaps make their Glide/Fly ability follow a similar setup to what Raptorans use. They can only glide at first, then unlock limited flight at 5th level, followed by full flight at 10th.

Lore (Ex): This ability functions exactly as the loremaster ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/loremaster.htm#lore) of the same name, using the sphinxfolk's character level as their loremaster level. A sphinxfolk does not gain the greater lore or true lore abilities unless it takes actual levels in the loremaster class.
Flat out gaining Lore might be just a smidge much.. Perhaps make it so Sphinx gain access to X number of Knowledge skills, always treating them as class skills. Bonus to Knowledge?

Magical Beast Empathy (Su): This ability functions as the druid's wild empathy, save that a sphinxfolk can only use this ability on magical beasts. A sphinxfolk gains a +4 racial bonus on this check.
Not receiving a penalty is ok, but why do they gain a bonus?

Morphology (Ex): Any armor or shield a Sphinxfolk uses must be adapted for its quadrupedal form. A sphinxfolk cannot wear magic items in the hand or foot slots, and may only wear one magic ring each (on their tails), but they may wear an additional pair of bracers on their hind legs.
This is probably the biggest thing I have issue with. I understand what you are trying to accomplish, but a quadruped character already has enough body issues. Even if it doesn't make sense, most non-armor magic items resizes and reshapes to adjust to the wearer.

When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn’t be an issue. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they adjust themselves magically to the wearer. Size should not keep characters of various kinds from using magic items.
Even if it embarrasses you as a parent, just let your sphinx rock fingerless gloves and crocs. I'm sure it's a phase he'll grow out of!

Strictly by the numbers, your sphinx does deserve a LA+1. However I always thought WotC was a bit too liberal with handing out LA. You do get some bonuses, but nothing too strong. There are plenty of difficulties playing a quadruped such as extra costs for armor and inability to wield a weapon. At low levels those differences help offset the gains. I'd think you could get away with LA 0.

rferries
2017-08-06, 04:07 AM
One final thing, I think that Sphinxfolk are low +1, also when I think of Egyptian sphinxes i think of big things, so what about making it large? that would open up more roles for the sphinxfolk to be played in which is good, also would it have reach?

I felt that making them Large would make them too similar to actual monster manual Sphinxes (plus they'd need bigger Str/Con ability modifiers etc). However I could add a feat along those lines like I have for many of my other homebrewed races.

Sphinx are one of my favorite mythological creatures, so it's good to see them getting some love.

Pretty good so far. Net bonus on stats, speed boost, natural attacks and non-humanoid type give you a slight defense against low-level spells.

Perhaps make their Glide/Fly ability follow a similar setup to what Raptorans use. They can only glide at first, then unlock limited flight at 5th level, followed by full flight at 10th.

Flat out gaining Lore might be just a smidge much.. Perhaps make it so Sphinx gain access to X number of Knowledge skills, always treating them as class skills. Bonus to Knowledge?

Not receiving a penalty is ok, but why do they gain a bonus?

This is probably the biggest thing I have issue with. I understand what you are trying to accomplish, but a quadruped character already has enough body issues. Even if it doesn't make sense, most non-armor magic items resizes and reshapes to adjust to the wearer.

Even if it embarrasses you as a parent, just let your sphinx rock fingerless gloves and crocs. I'm sure it's a phase he'll grow out of!

Strictly by the numbers, your sphinx does deserve a LA+1. However I always thought WotC was a bit too liberal with handing out LA. You do get some bonuses, but nothing too strong. There are plenty of difficulties playing a quadruped such as extra costs for armor and inability to wield a weapon. At low levels those differences help offset the gains. I'd think you could get away with LA 0.

Re: Glide; I'm not familiar with Raptorans, but I quite like the idea of flight as a feat (for most of my other homebrewed races they need a feat to unlock heir true flying/burrowing/climbing/swimming potential). However I could try the Raptoran way too I suppose once I've researched them.

Re: Lore; perhaps you're right. I might convert that into another feat, that you need as a prerequisite for Riddle of the Sphinx (any thoughts on that feat, by the way? I'm still unhappy with it).

Re: magical beast empathy; just something I stole from the Pathfinder Ettercaps ages ago and give all of the "monstrous" races I've been churning out.

Re: body slots; I actually feel like I should be incorporating this into all of my homebrewed (and generally non-bipedal) races. It makes for more realism, can be compensated for with "extra" slots (e.g. bracers here), and slightly justifies a bit of extra power elsewhere in the race write-up. However you make a good point- technically this race shouldn't be able to wield weapons! I'll need to think about editing in "they need special gauntlets to wield weapons" or waiving that clause entirely. The clause about resizing magical items is true, but this is more a case of "shape" (hands vs paws) rather than "size" (human's hands vs. halfling's hands).

Re; LA: Assuming I made Lore into a feat (power decrease) and kept everything else equal, could I justify giving them Powerful Build or at least Large size without going beyond LA+1?

Thanks for the input!

Waker
2017-08-06, 10:44 AM
Re: Glide; I'm not familiar with Raptorans, but I quite like the idea of flight as a feat (for most of my other homebrewed races they need a feat to unlock heir true flying/burrowing/climbing/swimming potential). However I could try the Raptoran way too I suppose once I've researched them.
If you wanted to see the wording of the ability, here is the description from the WotC article on Raptorans.
Gliding (Ex): A raptoran can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Raptorans glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a raptoran's maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A raptoran can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a raptoran becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The raptoran descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
Flight (Ex): When a raptoran reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A raptoran can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Raptorans can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. Raptorans are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because raptorans can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).
When they reach 10 Hit Dice, raptorans have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A raptoran with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the raptoran must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A raptoran can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A raptoran with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.

Re: Lore; perhaps you're right. I might convert that into another feat, that you need as a prerequisite for Riddle of the Sphinx (any thoughts on that feat, by the way? I'm still unhappy with it).
The Riddle feat is rather powerful. A free action to activate, bonus to several things and light prereqs. Changing the action to Standard or even Full-Round might be a better option, since you aren't merely posing a riddle. It's the Riddle of the Sphinx. As an additional benefit, the way its worded, you could use this on a mindless creature and they have no chance to solve it. Does your opponent need to say what the answer to the riddle is? Because that would penalize creatures who can't speak as well.
Were you to change it, maybe include a language limitation (they need to hear and understand you), and they need to not be mindless. Might wanna limit it to one target as well. What would happen if another creature joined the battle later, how could they answer a riddle they didn't hear? A greater version of the feat could be expanded to include multiple targets whom you gain the bonuses against, provided they hear the riddle.

Re; LA: Assuming I made Lore into a feat (power decrease) and kept everything else equal, could I justify giving them Powerful Build or at least Large size without going beyond LA+1?
You could add Powerful Build without much problems. It doesn't do all that much for the Sphinx. Powerful Build treats you as large in regards to special attacks like Bullrush/Trip, increases the effectiveness of special abilities like Improved Grab/Swallow Whole (which the Sphinx doesn't have), and allows you to wield weapons one size category larger (which you can't do without special investment). So really all you get is the size bonus to certain attacks.

rferries
2017-08-06, 12:38 PM
If you wanted to see the wording of the ability, here is the description from the WotC article on Raptorans.
Gliding (Ex): A raptoran can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Raptorans glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a raptoran's maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A raptoran can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a raptoran becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The raptoran descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
Flight (Ex): When a raptoran reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A raptoran can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Raptorans can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. Raptorans are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because raptorans can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).
When they reach 10 Hit Dice, raptorans have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A raptoran with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the raptoran must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A raptoran can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A raptoran with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.

The Riddle feat is rather powerful. A free action to activate, bonus to several things and light prereqs. Changing the action to Standard or even Full-Round might be a better option, since you aren't merely posing a riddle. It's the Riddle of the Sphinx. As an additional benefit, the way its worded, you could use this on a mindless creature and they have no chance to solve it. Does your opponent need to say what the answer to the riddle is? Because that would penalize creatures who can't speak as well.
Were you to change it, maybe include a language limitation (they need to hear and understand you), and they need to not be mindless. Might wanna limit it to one target as well. What would happen if another creature joined the battle later, how could they answer a riddle they didn't hear? A greater version of the feat could be expanded to include multiple targets whom you gain the bonuses against, provided they hear the riddle.

You could add Powerful Build without much problems. It doesn't do all that much for the Sphinx. Powerful Build treats you as large in regards to special attacks like Bullrush/Trip, increases the effectiveness of special abilities like Improved Grab/Swallow Whole (which the Sphinx doesn't have), and allows you to wield weapons one size category larger (which you can't do without special investment). So really all you get is the size bonus to certain attacks.

I think I'll leave glide and the flight feat as they are then, actually. Thanks for looking it up though!

Changed Lore to a feat as a prerequisite for the Riddle, and nerfed the Riddle.

Made Large (and bigger sizes) available through the Growth feat.

Thanks again!