PDA

View Full Version : Zer, and Curly's thread of the Supernatural

zeratul
2007-08-08, 06:25 PM
Well Curly and I being interested in the supernatural, and having mutch knowledge of it have decided to start a thread about it. I will post information on different ghosts, creatures, demons, or other beings, then Curly will regail you with tales of sutch beings.

You guys can feel free to also comment on the being currently in question, or to PM us with any stories you may have. And now for being #1

Wendigos
Location - North America
type - mythical humanoid beast
Nature - malevolent

The Wendigo In Native American tradition was a large creature associated with cold, and cannibalism. IT was tall, and thin to the extent that it's bones pushed against it's skin, giving it a skeletal appearance. It has a geryish complexion, and claws. It was believed that humans could turn into these monsters by eatinbg human flesh. That is why it was believed people who resorted to cannibalism during a famine, would turn into a wendigo.

Lucky
2007-08-08, 06:40 PM
Well Curly and I being interested in the supernatural, and having mutch knowledge of it have decided to start a thread about it. I will post information on different ghosts, creatures, demons, or other beings, then Curly will regail you with tales of sutch beings.
You know, before you go and try to use a word like "regale," you could make sure you spell it right. Also, "such" and "much" do not have Ts in them.

Other than that, this thread appears fairly interesting, but I have something against the format, I just can't quite place what.

Ah well, carry on.

Serpentine
2007-08-08, 09:27 PM
Oo oo! Looks like fun and edumacation! ^_^

Myndie Snake
Location - Central Australia
Type - huge serpent
Nature - vengeful
When a man sinned, he would grow fearful. He looked over his shoulder, staring with suspicion at the shifting sand dunes. When, as they inevitably did, the dunes seemed to slide, to creep forward, he leaped up and abandoned all he had, fleeing quite literally for his life. The last thing he felt was the burn of dripping venom, and the last he saw giganting, gaping jaws.
The Myndie Snake was a creature of the Spirits of the Dreamtime. It relentlessly hunted sinners through the deserts of Australia, and once it had their trail, its quarry was doomed.

(I was thinking of doing this for the IA)

zeratul
2007-08-09, 09:20 AM
This one was sent in by Aslancross

The Manananggal
type - vampiric shifter
Nature - malevolent

the manananggal (literally "remover" or "separator"), a vampiric shapeshifter that usually takes the form of a mysterious beautiful woman during the day. She's actually a witch who transforms into a hideous creature with bat wings underneath the full moon (with the aid of a magical oil that she smears on her body during such transformations). During her transformation, she grows bat wings and a long, proboscis-like tongue, and splits her torso at the waist. The upper half flies away to hunt, while the lower half remains standing on the ground. She usually preys on pregnant women, sucking on the unborn fetus's blood through the mother's navel with the proboscis tongue.

The easiest way to kill the mananaggal is to smear crushed garlic or salt on the lower half's severed waist. When the creature reconnects its upper torso, the mixture dissolves it from the inside out.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-09, 09:24 AM
@Serpy: Hey. I have that in one of my books. The one on dragins anyway. Stuff coming up.

Here: Is a good link for ghost stories (posted by people) and urban myths.http://www.castleofspirits.com/

And here: Is a link for crytozoology, with discussion on possible existence and where they could be. http://www.pibburns.com/cryptozo.htm

Eale or Yale
Type: akin to a unicorn
Nature: Benevolent, vivious if forced into battle.
Southern India was the home of what appeared to be a distant relative of the unicorn. Its head was bearded, goat-fashion, as were the heads of many unicorns, and it bore two spiralling horns. Evidently, the horns could be swivelled in different directions for maximum effectiveness in battle. The Indians kept these beasts in temple as guardians against evil spirits.

The Peryton
Type: similar to a Flying Deer
Nature: Man-eater
A powerful flier the deerlike Peryton may have been related to the Pegasus of Classic Greek mythology. According to ealry writers it had one unique characteristc: the shadow it cast was that of a man. This lead scholars to believe that Perytons were the spirits of wayfarers who had died far from home.
Sighted frequently in Classical times around Mediterranean Islands and the Strait Of Gibralter they were believed to be man-eaters, swooping down in flocks upon unsuspecting sailors and devouring them. No weapon could avail against the strength of the Peryton.

Catoblepas
Type: Scaly buffalo of enormous size
Nature: Deadly
A scaly buffalo-like animal said to knaw on its own forelegs. Its heavy head nodded constantly; hence its name, being Greek for 'that which looks downwards'. This was fortunate as this sluggish animal's glance could kill.

Gulon
Type: Enormous cat
Nature: Carrion-feeder
Hunters in the snow fields of Scandinavia hunted this animal. The fur of this gluttonous carrion-feeder was of a mottled, damask-like quality prized in hatmaking.

These are just some of the more unusual animals. Feel free to PM either of us with any story of the supernatural, be it ghosts or local monsters or legends. Any intersting links providing more information or another site to check out are also welcomed. If you want it to be anonymous please say so.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-09, 09:30 AM
Chupacabra
Location - Southern USA, Mexico, Puerto Rico
Type - Mythical Humanoid Beast
Nature - Malevolent

A relatively new addition to the mythological world, La Chupacabra was first sighted in Puerto Rico, and was blamed for the killing of a variety of animals. It is said to be a short lizard-like creature with a row of spines or quills down its back, and has been noted for kangaroo-like hopping. It drains the blood of a variety of animals to feed, making small circular incisions with its teeth. It is said to favour targeting goats, thus the origin of its name (which translates to something roughly similar to goats sucker).

Serpentine
2007-08-09, 09:34 AM
Curly, you don't have The Enchanted World series, do you? The Myndie Snake was in its Tales of Terror, not Dragons, but the first two of yours, at least, were definitely in Magical Beasts.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-09, 09:46 AM
Curly, you don't have The Enchanted World series, do you? The Myndie Snake was in its Tales of Terror, not Dragons, but the first two of yours, at least, were definitely in Magical Beasts.

Yeah, my dad has them. I also have several other good collections of books (one deals on psychic phenomena) and some other good sources.
The Whowie...might be next.

Got a request for some Jersey Devil info, so I'm checking up some information.
EDIT: Zer's covering that. Here's a story based on roughly the same kind of thing i.e. a Devil. This story is:

Alternatively called The Devon Devil, or The Devils Footprints

The night of February 9, 1855 was a cold, snowy one in Devon, England. In fact, a couple of inches of snow blanketed the ground.

Along with the bird and animal tracks one would expect to find, another set of footprints was discovered by local residents: a set of mysterious hoof-prints. The prints were 4 inches in length, 2.75 inches wide, and spaced about 8 inches apart. Whatever made them walked on two legs. They formed a trail that went over haystacks, walls, rooftops, and gardens.

The prints started off in a garden and stopped short in the middle of a field approximately 100 miles away. At one point, they went into a shed and came out on the other side- apparently, whatever made them went through a six-inch hole. Outside of a church in Woodbury, the prints looked like they had been burned into the snow by a hot iron.

Scores of people saw the strange prints and the story sparked a heated debate about what could have made them.

A naturalist suggested that the prints were made by a badger - he pointed out that they put their hind paws into the prints made by their front feet.

Other theorists suggest that the prints were made by one of any number of animals: squirrel, rat, otter, fox, donkey, a pony with a broken shoe, or some type of cat. A wild theory involved a kangaroo escaping from some kind of travelling circus, making the footprints, and then returning to its cage before anyone realized it had been missing. A group of hunters searched for whatever was responsible for the footprints, but was unable to track down the culprit.

Local residents, though, locked their doors and kept their children in after dark while they held on to the belief that the Devil had visited Devon that night - and the proof was in the footprints.

This has been examined by many people from many professions over the years; and a conclusive solution has never been found. For more information you could Google it, Wiki it or just check it out. Story from: http://paranormal.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_devil_s_footprints

Serpentine
2007-08-09, 10:26 AM
Awesome. Wait... Nooooo that means I have to get them all in quick before you do! :smalltongue:
How many EW books do you have? I'm curious to know whether I'm missing any. And those psychic phenomena ones, are they black with glossy bits on the covers? I'd put in an actual creature, but I'm too sleepy right now.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-09, 10:33 AM
Awesome. Wait... Nooooo that means I have to get them all in quick before you do! :smalltongue:
How many EW books do you have? I'm curious to know whether I'm missing any. And those psychic phenomena ones, are they black with glossy bits on the covers? I'd put in an actual creature, but I'm too sleepy right now.

The lot I think. And the pyschic phenomena ones might be the same too. More things will come later.

Serpentine
2007-08-09, 10:37 AM
See, saying "a lot" doesn't help when I don't know how much there are :smalltongue: Sounds like we might have a similar book collection, though.
>sigh< I seem to be missing some of my books of weird crap :smallfrown: Wait, I do still have an Encyclopedia of Monsters... also one of ghosts. Can they go in too?

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-09, 11:00 AM
I have 20; maybe I'll PM you thelist. Anything supernatural. The CoS link is a famous Aussie website devoted to ghosts and the like. I may post Matron Of York Hostel, but it'd have to be spoilered.

Fetches
Location: European in origin, but is known all over the world
Type: Omen, or beckner. Similar to the banshee.
Nature: Benevolent, but deadly.
A fetch, or double,(also known by many other names) is a harbinger of death. It takes on the shape of the one who will die soon. SOmetimes they appear to the friends or family of the dying; and their mickry is so perfect they will often mistake it for that person.
More often they deliver their message of death to that person alone. And after death occured the fetch will shed its mortal shape and flee to whatever world it came from.

Serpentine
2007-08-09, 11:12 AM
>counts< Oh good, I have 20 too, and the psychic stuff series is "Mysteries of the Unknown". From the shortness of your replies I'm guessing this is supposed to be a more controlled thread, so I'll stop cluttering it up now.

Devil Dog
Type: Shapeshifter?
Nature: Nasty, but occasional.
A werewolf-like creature, part dingo part man. When summoned by a certain desert bird he emerges from beneath the dunes to hunt the men of the bush that borders the desert. He wreaks bloody havock until wounded and driven back, when he shrinks back to human form and dives under the sand, to sleep until called again.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-09, 11:26 AM
Not really. And it turns out the set of books I have that deal with psychic phenomena are the same too. Mysteries of the Unknown. Weird huh? And, it is knid of controlled, I do welcome chat; I just can't thnk of anything to say right now.
Ghost story:

The Cold Boy Of Gilsland Castle, Cumberland
Type: Ghost
Nature: Malevolent in a way
A small boy was shut in an empty room upstairs as punishment for mischief. Due to the cold he died; presumably of hypothermia/pneumonia. For centuries afterwards his ghost could be seen wandering all over the house and at the door of every chamber. Teeth chattering, body trembling he would search for an open door. If he entered a room where someone was merely sleeping he would whimper by the bed.
If the person was ill, he would lay a hand on them and say "Cold, cold, forever cold. You shall be cold forever more." The person would die soon after that visitation, eased out of pain.

Serpentine
2007-08-09, 11:35 AM
Looks like we're both gonna be posting a lot that're familiar to each of us :smalltongue: I'll just have to paw through some books I think you don't have...
Oh, two ghost stories.
Nature: Unknown.
When staying at a country gentleman friend's manor one night, a fellow was warned that a certain room was supposed to be haunted. The man scoffed, and insisted that he sleep in it. Once he was in there, however, he lost his nerve. He got up, checked under the bed, on top of the bed, in the cupboards and draws, in all nooks and crannies. Finally, satisfied that he was alone, he locked the door thoroughly and blew out his candle. Softly, like a whisper of breath, a voice muttered from the bedside inkpot, tiny and satisfied: "Now we're shut in for the night."

Nature: Helpful.
A man woke up in the night. He searched for a match, and one was placed in his hand.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-09, 11:54 AM
Hhehehe. I had Mysteries of the Unknown as a child. Great book.

Serpentine
2007-08-09, 11:07 PM
But... it's a series? Mystic Places has a great article on Atlantis.

Hell Puppi
2007-08-10, 12:06 AM
One of my favorites:
The Black Dog
Aka: Black Shuck, Old Shcuk, Pooka, Barguest
Nature: Varies
There are many tales of a phantom hound in the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire. Known locally as black shuck in Cambridge, its favourite haunts where said to be along the banks of the river Ouse and amongst the flat landscape of the fens. Other local names have been galley trot, old snarleyow, or old scarfe. The legend warns that "if a man shall see the Black Dog once it shall be for joy; and if twice, it shall be for sorrow; and the third time he shall die."

Another belief is that there are ghostly black dogs, the size of large retrievers, about the fields at night, that these dogs are generally near gates and stiles, and are of such a forbidding aspect that no one dare venture to pass them, and that it means death to shout at them. In some places the spectral dog is named "Shuck" and is said to be headless.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-08-10, 12:42 AM
Ooh. I have a really spooky one.

Gamer
Location- Everywhere! Everywhere!
Nature- Lazy

These strange human like creatures are known to exist all over the world. Externally, they resemble pale skinned humans, but they have strange behaviors and habits.

Firstly, they abhor day light and will avoid it whenever possible, seeking shelter within basements and comic book stores.

Secondly, their internal structure does not consist of the many organs and bones that make up a human body, but consists of "hit points," (which are masses of unexplainable energy that sustain the body but disappear when struck,) multiple brains, and what appears to be cream filling.

Third, and most importantly, they feel a great urge to gather together in small groups and play "role playing games," in which they make up characters and go on adventures and such.

Oh yeah, and they sometimes go into a mindless rage and eat brains. Only at conventions though. :smallwink:

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-10, 05:46 AM
Veery funny Vespe.

Some more Filipino stories from AslanCross. I've kept most of the original wording, but have reformatted it to fit in with the thread:
Tik-Tik
Type: Similar to the manananggal
Nature: Malevolent
The tik-tik is similar to the manananggal, but has a strange characteristic: Everything about it is the opposite of what one perceives. If it's beautiful, it's actually ugly. If its clicking, bat-like sound (tik-tik-tik) is loud, it's actually far, but if it's soft, it's very near.

Tikbalang
Type: Horse-man
Nature: Chaotic and mischevious
The tikbalang, which is a horse-man. (The opposite of a centaur, with a horse's head and a man's body. Think of the Equinals from D&D.) They're normally chaotic and mischievous, leading travelers astray when they go through their woods. They live in secluded forests and groves, usually in clusters of bamboo.

Kapre
Type: Ogre-like
Nature: Neutral and friendly
The kapre is a tree-dwelling ogre that's usually seen as black-skinned and very hairy, and is always seen smoking a gigantic cigar. They're generally neutral guardian spirits, and have often tried to befriend humans. They are known to fall in love with human women and try to court them, and usually follow a befriended human wherever they go, manifesting in trees.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapre

Tiyanak
Type Undead baby-fiend
The tiyanak, which is either a half-fiend baby (child of a demon by a human woman) or an undead aborted fetus that came back to life to avenge its murder. It usually takes the form of a regular human baby, usually abandoned in the woods. When its prey comes closer to take a look, it assumes its true form (reddish dark skin and glowing eyes) and devours the human.

Nuno sa punso
Type: Gnome-like fey
Nature: Unfriendly
The Nuno sa punso is a gnome-like fey creature that lives in anthills and termite mounds. While not outwardly malevolent, the nuno is surly and curses any humans who trespass on its territory: usually by stepping on its mound. (It has also been known to curse drunks who urinate on its mound). Asking for permission to pass by its mound is usually enough to keep the nuno from cursing a would-be trespasser.

Aswangs
Type: Shapeshifter ghouls
Aswangs are shapeshifter ghouls. This includes the manananggal and the Tiyanak. They are all evil and mostly cannibalistic. Many of these have willingly made a pact with the devil and given up their souls for power.

The White Lady
Nature: Unknown
A popular one is the White Lady, a beautiful woman dressed in white (sometimes a bridal gown) usually seen flagging down buses and public transport in secluded places and disappearing quickly afterwards.

Could any more submissions by PM be in this format; or one that can easily be formatted like this.
Darn cool stories aren't they; more vampire variations from around the world to follow.
Anything is welcome; pics, UFOs anything out of the ordinary.

zeratul
2007-08-10, 05:26 PM
And now the demon who needs no introduction the

Jersey devil
type - devil
nature - unknown
Location - New Jersey USA

There are a few stories about how this creature came to exist. One is that a wife in a family in the colonies of New Jersey, stated after having many children with a disagreeable husband said she would rather have the devils child than another one with her husband. What she said came to fruition and she gave birth to a devil. The other is that a mother hoping for a perfect child gave birth to an ugly deformed babe, and said "This is not my son, this is the son of the devil!", she then threw it into the river, which is supposedly haunted by it's spirit which sucks any wading into it's waters down to a watery grave.
It reportedly dwells in a blue hole (submerged cave) near Winslow New Jersey. It has been seen by thousands. There are however different descriptions of the devil. Some say it is over 7seven feet tall. Some say it is only a bit over three. In all accounts however it has a tail, cloven hooves, and wings. The most resent sighting was in Freehold, New Jersey in 2007.
Though it has been seen thousands of times. It has never been accused of attacking anyone. In fact aside from startling people it's only suspected crimes were several live stock killings in 1841.

Serpentine
2007-08-22, 05:06 AM
The idea of this thread slipping off the edge of reality was ensaddening. So, a continents crossing rescue post!

Big Hairy Man-things
Type: Humanoid
Nature: Various

Strange man-like creatures have been seen hundreds of times throughout the world. Here is a summary of a few of them (mostly from Encyclopedia of Monsters by Daniel Cohen).

Abominable Snowman/Yeti: Big hairy man, sighted on the slopes of the Himalayas. Evidence: Sightings, footprints, local "delicious fairy tales". Possible (alternative) explaination: Buddhist or Hindu ascetics, extinct giant ape.

Alma: Big hairy man found in the mountains of Soviet Asia, the Pamirs and Caucasus, China, Mongolia. More "human" than Yeti and Bigfoot. Steals things, occasionally raids farms, generally tolerated. Evidence: Sightings including very close-up, remains (unstudied by relevant scientists or proven false). Possible explaination: Some type of Neanderthaler.

Bigfoot/Sasquatch: Incorporates several North American ape-men. Is officially a protected endangered species in Siskiyou County, California. Evidence: sightings, footprints, film (blurry, of course). Possible explaination: Chimpanzee (one story), unknown species.

Chinese Wildman: China's forests. Relatively long hair. Evidence: Sightings, scats, footprints. Possible explaination: extinct giant ape.

Lake Worth Monster: Like Bigfoot, in Texas. Evidence: 1 very blurry photo.

Minnesota Iceman: Bigfoot-like creature encased in ice. Known hoax, but was on display as late as 1982.

Mo-Mo: Missouri and Louisiana Bigfoot. Evidence: Sightings.

Nondescript: "Discovered" by Englishman travelling in South America. Known hoax, howler monkey head and shoulders manipulated to look like an enemy of the finder.

Orange Eyes: Bigfoot again, from Ohio, with bright orange eyes. Evidence: sightings. Possible explaination: Mad hermit with car reflectors on a stick, practical jokers.

Orang Pendek: Small hairy man of Sumatra. Travellers should leave tobacco outside the camp or else be kept awake by its ruckus. Evidence: "bodies" (shaved monkies). Possible explaination: The recently discovered "hobbit"?

Skunk Ape: Another bigfoot, Florida this time. Very smelly. Evidence: Sightings, blood and fur on a car.

Wild Man/Wodewose: European, described throughout the Middle Ages. Violent, wielded a weapon, devoured victims especially children. Evidence: Stories, drawings. Possible explaination: people suffering from hypertrichosis, pagan survival eg. of Silvanus, psychological manifestations of the yearning of civilised man for freedom from his society, real animal.

Yowie: Big hairy humanoid of Australia. Featured in stories of the Dreaming as well as recently. Also a chocolate thing. Evidence: Sightings, footprints, stories, Cadbury ad campaigns. Possible explaination: Extinct species of Homo.

What do you think, is there room for a Masters thesis in all this? :smallwink:

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-22, 04:04 PM
Somehow I think there is. Feel free to use any ideas from me that may help (trade and story cross-ober idea'd be a good way to explain similarities)

A story that happened to me.
Basic facts:
I was six. I got a doll from my Granny as a present.
It was a 1.5 ft high plastic doll that walked and had a CD in the back so it could sing. It was mostly nursery rhymes.
One day the CD got scrathced so my mum took it out of the doll. Took out the batteries, switched off the doll for good measure and put it on top of my wardrobe.
The wardrobe was 3 inches away from me (I was in a bunkbead.) The doll was lying at a 45' angle. It was leaning against a heavy cardboard box, and it was 'looking' at my pillow.
In October, first week or so my Uncle visited. It was a windy day, warm for the time of year and a clear day and night.
Me, my brothers(same room as me) and my sister (parents' room) went to bed about six pm.
At abbout 10pm my mum and uncle were downstairs chatting. The TV and radio were off. As were the washing machine and tumble dryer.
They heard something upstairs.
Thinking it was one of us (the children they went into the hall and began walking upstairs.
About halfway up th stairs the noise clarified, it sounded like someone singing London Bridge Is Falling Down. It was coming from my room.
A bit creeped out they went into the room and tured the light on.
I was sitting bolt upright in bed very pale.
The doll was singing.
My shouted "Turn the f****** thing off now!"
My uncle ran across the room. The doll leaned forward.
He grabbed the doll and turned it around (still singing) to turn it off.
He went pale and said "There's no f******* batteries in it and the CD isn't in either. He turned the doll around to show my mum.
The doll stopped singing.
They took the doll downstairs to look it over; the CD and batteries were still in the kitchen drwaer yet something had made the doll sing.
Needless to say the doll was gone the next morning. I had bed dreams about that doll until I was eight.
Make of it what you will. Discuss, argue.

Serpentine
2007-08-22, 09:55 PM
o.O That's... rather creepy (and not in the "weird stuff..." thread, by the way :smalltongue:). On the other hand, if it was a demon possession, that guy must've been a very sad, lonely soul if that's how he gets his kicks.

Damn. Forgot the put in the Yowie. I'll do it now.

FdL
2007-08-22, 10:27 PM
I heartily recommend Borges' "Book of Imaginary Beings" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Imaginary_Beings). It's an anthology of these kind of pieces of folkloric knowledge. It's a fun read, I read that a lot when I was a kid and was fascinated by it.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-23, 01:12 PM
Well, I don't know how/who.what the hell 'possessed' the doll but over the years I've tried to figure it out.
Scientifically: Not an electrical phenomena: how could it play without the CD?
Furthermore, there were no electrical storms in the entire COUNTY, let alone where we lived. (Moved now) For the same reason (no batteries, no CD) it couldn't have switched itself on. So, no scientific explanation. Not even the [sibling] put them in, left it on. Why? Everything as still downstairs.
Paranormally: It falls to: Ghost; poltergeist (possible but not likely) or some kind of 'possession'. But if anyone does have any ideas, feel free to post.

And Serpy, definitely enough for a Masters thesis.

Here's a linky to a famous haunted place in Australia. Fairly near Perth:

atron Of York Hostel (http://www.castleofspirits.com/stories06/matronofyork.html) There's also a linky to furhter sightings/experiences at the top of the page.
Thoughts on this. Feelings. Heard of this before?

Serpentine
2007-08-23, 10:21 PM
Huh, looks interesting. Considering I'm waaaaaay over the other side of the country from there, though, I'd be surprised if I had heard of it. I wonder whether there's any supposed hauntings around Armidale...

Nomrom
2007-08-23, 10:56 PM
Curly, your story really intrigues me. I am the more skeptical type when it comes to matters such as these. I usually think everything can be explained somehow, and if it can't, it is usually from a source that I really don't think can be believed. But I have no idea what could have caused that to happen, and I would have to say I believe you can be trusted to not be lying or crazy.

Shirocco
2007-08-23, 11:15 PM
Power left over in the capacitors? Need to know more about the doll to see how it might have managed that.

Wouldn't know what model it was, would you?

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-23, 11:41 PM
CurlyKitGirl, that story sent shivers down my spine. We joke about a "Demonic Bop-it" that had a similar occurance, but it was more easily explained.

I'll see what I can find about a local Johnson City legend or maybe the tale mom tells me about my dad's family hearing the Angel of Death knock on someone's door before when the person passed on.

AslanCross
2007-08-24, 05:36 AM
Curly> Darn, that was scary. I find strange phenomena creepier if they're related to dolls and children.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-25, 08:41 AM
It wan't capacitors because this doll was just a fairly old model.
It NEEDED the switch on, good batteries and for the CD to work.
Yes, it could have been the capacitors although I'm 99% sure it wasn't that (the doll had been without Cd, batteries and switched off for a week) how could it play the song without the CD. This was ten years ago. No way dolls were that sophisticted

Om
2007-08-25, 09:39 AM
I should probably just upload my copy of Morbane's Book of Monsters & Magic that I collected while reading The Ancestral Trail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ancestral_Trail) as a kid. Amazingly I still have it lying around and it sounds exactly what this thread is looking for. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner. A cookie to anyone who finds a complete copy (with all 45 entries) on the internet.

Shirocco
2007-08-26, 05:23 PM
What can you remember of it? A barbie doll? Other brand?

...bit moot now. Doubt the manufacturer was into repairing those anyway, but it sounds like you had a faulty one to me. Still if you can remember anything much of the doll i might have a look-see for ya.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-28, 09:31 AM
What can you remember of it? A barbie doll? Other brand?

...bit moot now. Doubt the manufacturer was into repairing those anyway, but it sounds like you had a faulty one to me. Still if you can remember anything much of the doll i might have a look-see for ya.

How could it be faulty if the flipping things that made it work weren't even in?! No CD, no batteries, no surge of power. Nothing.
It was about 2.5 ft tall, with curly blond hair and blue eyes, the kind that open and shut. It walked and sang. And I doubt that kind of fault was a fault but something else.

This is meant to be one of the most haunted places in the world. (http://www.castleofspirits.com/quarantine.html) It has many reputable sightings by reliable people. There are many theories about ghosts and the such. With this case people think it is a:
TIME SLIP: When we see/hear a repeated action from the past. Famous ones are Edgehill Battlefield, England, and Gettysburg (sp?) where the battle, or parts of it, are repeated when conditions are right, or on the anniversary of the incident.
CYCLIC GHOSTS: Pretty much the same thing, except these are individual ghosts who aren't doing anything traumatic or special, but were 'caught' somehow by conditions prevalent on that day as an image to be repeated over time.
With these two specific types of haunting, the 'repeats' tend to lessen over time so from it happening every year, it will miss a few years, then occur sporadically and then stop. Such an example is Abraham Lincolns' Funeral Train.

Shirocco
2007-08-29, 08:19 AM
It sounds like the doll soon found itself headfirst in a garbage bin, in any case.

Had a genuine blood moon here last night. The rats were restless, the dog went off chasing them around. Had a wonderful time by the sound of it.

The moon under total eclipse really does look sweet. Very slow, takes almost an hour to reach full eclipse then suddenly goes bright red - something to do with light distortion as it skims through our atmosphere before reaching the moon. Stayed that way for some time before the earth's shadow started to drift off and a bit of moon glow peaked out the other side, expanding very slowly to it's full, normal self.

I gave up on the whole show after seeing it red for a while, went on my merry way. Was told today by folks at work all the dogs in town went off when the moon became full again, was supposed to look very bright - my guess just because it looked that way compared to the ecplise, where it's mostly just dark shadow until the red glow tweaks on.

Heard one relating to the subject the next day. Not exactly a ghost story, but bare with me.

An English sea captain's ship was forced ashore while exploring an island chain some 2-300 years ago. The ship needed repairs so they set about doing that and had the islanders bringing them food. This went on for a few days before the islanders stopped bringing food. The captain went with his escort to talk to the islanders, whose elders said they weren't going to give them any more.

Captain went away and consulted his charts. He worked out there was a lunar eclipse due in three nights. Went back to the islanders.

"If you don't give us food, i'll take the moon away!" said the captain

Rubarb rubarb rubarb, bulldust go away - the islanders didn't buy it. Sure enough, third night from them there was a lunar eclipse. Before the eclipse had finished the islanders showed up with plenty of food. They set it down, and the eclipse slowly passed.

The food remained very regular after that until the ship was repaired and went on it's way.