PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Futures IC

GOALentertain
2017-07-28, 05:14 AM
Far Brohn. The city is the last bastion of the civilized life in the Steadfast before entering the wilds of the cold desert. The stone walls around the city are meant to keep out the worst of the frigid southern winds, but there's still enough of a chill that you're glad you've brought your cloak.

Technically, the city is a part of Pytharon, but it's clear that the merchant lords are the ones that are really in control. So long as they continue to supply slaves and artifacts from the Beyond as well as to rake in profits selling Steadfast goods down into the desert, Empress Challadien is willing to look the other way and let Far Brohn deal with Far Brohn.

The result is a city ruled with the cruel efficiency of merchant lords whose chief and only concerns are financial gain and the expansion of their economic empires.

There is an elected ruler of the city: the Lord Governor, but this position is usually held by someone controlled by the merchant lords. Even if someone opposed to them got elected, their hold on the city, and the corruption of any guard force the city has, would ensure that very little would change.

It's here that you ended up, whether you were born here or came here on your own, whether you planned to stay, or whether you were just passing through. No matter your intentions, one way or another, you managed to upset someone in power. Maybe this was through something genuinely illegal; maybe it was through something that risked disrupting someone's profits; maybe you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Either way, you've now ended up in the city's underground prison, awaiting your fate.

The prison is underground and cold. Fresh air comes in from somewhere, and it's freezing. Perhaps from the outside of the city walls to the South? Either way, the cold serves to sap the strength of your fellow inmates.

You generally have free reign to walk around the prison floor and socialize with the other captives. An interesting bunch. You've gotten to know the others to varying degrees while being here. There are guards present to prevent violence of escape attempts from other inmates.

Today, a group of ten guards has come down the stairs. They have sought through the inmates until they have found each of you in turn.

"Come along, someone wants to talk with you," they say.

Do you let them take you with them? If not, what do you do?

Mickadin
2017-07-28, 07:15 AM
"You've got the wrong guy. What am I doing here? I don't understand. I'm just a travelling performer. None of this makes any sense. Please, you've gotta let me go. I didn't do anything!"

The young guy in the worn travelling clothes and goggles begs and pleads with the guards, but he doesn't fight, coming along peacefully.

GOALentertain
2017-07-28, 07:28 AM
"Don't complain to me," one of the guards grumbles in response. You think maybe you have seen him in one of your performances. "I was told, 'go downstairs, get these people, bring them up to speak with me,' so that's what I'm doing. I don't want to end up stuck down here myself."

Mickadin
2017-07-28, 07:39 AM
"Okay, look, I get it. You don't wanna get in trouble. I'm sure it's all just a big misunderstanding. Hey, I think I know you
You brought your family to the circus, right? " He sighs and tries to build a bit of sympathy with the guard. "So, umm. Where are we going then? That can't really hurt to say. I'm just scared, you know? This is all really new to me. Are we going to see someone special, like a magistrate or something?"

Rowenn552
2017-07-28, 08:38 AM
~Prior to the guards arriving...

A strange young man with purple and blue hair can be seen often in a corner who goes from fits of laughter and mumbling to himself to silence eventually approaches everyone and introduces himself. He seems completely unperturbed or worried that he's in a dungeon.

He shakes everyone's hands quite animatedly, "Hi! Name's Sai. Whatcha in for?"

Eventually coming around to Centurian's character where he takes her hand more reservedly, holding it preciously, and probably uncomfortably too long, between his own he looks into her eyes and nods to her before chuckling softly and walking away.

~Later when the guards arrive,
Sai springs to his feet and approaches the two men almost rudely interrupting the current conversation. He shakes their hands as well and says to no one in particular, but winks at Centaurian's character to her confusion, "They're springing us! Look! Thanks guys!"

GOALentertain
2017-07-28, 11:04 AM
"Uhm..." the guard seems taken aback by Sai's statement. "We're not 'springing' you, we're bringing you to someone who wants to talk to you." He turns to look at the ragged performer. Yes, it is 'someone special.' Your presence has been requested of the Lord Governor."

Mickadin
2017-07-28, 12:19 PM
"Oh the Lord Governor? That's excellent. A pardon from the hand of the highest authority. I knew this would work out just fine. I'll be out of here soon."

Hal hunches under his hood and follows along peacefully.

Rowenn552
2017-07-28, 02:28 PM
Sai tucks his thumbs into his pockets and follows along whistling.

Centaurion
2017-07-29, 07:07 AM
Eliza

~Prior to the guards arriving...
Eventually coming around to Eliza where he takes her hand more reservedly, holding it preciously, and probably uncomfortably too long, between his own he looks into her eyes and nods to her before chuckling softly and walking away.

When confronted with Sai's slightly odd behavior, she raises an eyebrow in light suspicion, but her face also shows a smile. After all, she is not used to people behaving overly friendly to her. But this guy did not seem like someone who would try to find out where her mentor was. "Hi, er, name's Eliza." She says, somewhat relieved when Sai leaves and ends the slightly awkward situation.

When the guards come in, she does not interfere, and the surprise is visible in her face when they also pick her.

He shakes their hands as well and says to no one in particular, but winks at Eliza to her confusion, "They're springing us! Look! Thanks guys!"
Now, Eliza looks very confused. Why would they spring them? And her hesitation turns out to be confirmed rather soon when the guard answers. She shrugs and sends a warm half-smile, half-"I don't understand" facial expression to Sai.

When her eyes fall on Helarin's back, she focuses for a moment. She knew this person. But from where? Maybe one of the many patients of her mentor...

Mickadin
2017-07-29, 07:47 AM
"Eliza, Sai..."

Hal mulls that over a moment as he looks around at the others. He lifts a brow at Sai's bizarre behaviour then narrows his gaze momentarily at Eliza before smiling happily.

"Hi. I'm Haleran. Uh. Hal."

GOALentertain
2017-07-30, 04:20 AM
The guards bring you through several underground hallways to a mid-sized room with strange numenera devices lining the walls. There is a square, about 10 feet to a side, traced in the center of the room, with several metal wires going from the devices to the traced square itself. A man in Aeon Priest robes stands near some of the numenera devices, examining and moving certain switches and toggles. The guards gesture towards the square, indicating that you should stand upon it.

The voice in your head chuckles. "Poor little Grand Governor-fearing the merchant lords, he built a place high up in the sky, where no one could find him-save through connecting portals like these."

Rowenn552
2017-07-30, 05:16 AM
Staring around the room with wonder filled eyes Sai begins nodding more and more enthusiastically.

He mumbles lowly along with the nods, "Mhm mhm mhm... I always wanted to fly! *chuckles*", before slipping away from the group and past the guards.

He skips along until he reaches the square outline where he jumps over it (the edge of the square) and spins 180* mid air to land facing those he left behind. He throws his arms wide and takes a deep bow as if a gracious performer before an adoring crowd.

"Ta-da!", and he looks around fully expecting something to happen.

If nothing does right away he will look around perplexed, clear his throat, and say "Ta-da!" again but with less enthusiasm and more awkwardness as everyone is now looking at him.
He'll whisper kind of side mouthed, "Psst! Nothing happened.."

Centaurion
2017-07-30, 05:26 AM
Eliza

"Eliza, Sai..."

Hal mulls that over a moment as he looks around at the others. He lifts a brow at Sai's bizarre behaviour then narrows his gaze momentarily at Eliza before smiling happily.

"Hi. I'm Haleran. Uh. Hal."

"Eliza. I think, I think I know you from somewhere..." She says scratching her chin.

I think our plan was that Hal was sometime in the practice of my mentor Mr. Granger, right? She will soon remember Hal's secret, I just thought it would be fun if they are not instantly recognizing each other.

The guards bring you through several underground hallways to a mid-sized room with strange numenera devices lining the walls. There is a square, about 10 feet to a side, traced in the center of the room, with several metal wires going from the devices to the traced square itself. A man in Aeon Priest robes stands near some of the numenera devices, examining and moving certain switches and toggles. The guards gesture towards the square, indicating that you should stand upon it.

Eliza is quite curious what these machines could do. "What -" but then:

Staring around the room with wonder filled eyes Sai begins nodding more and more enthusiastically.

He mumbles lowly along with the nods, "Mhm mhm mhm... I always wanted to fly! *chuckles*", before slipping away from the group and past the guards.

He skips along until he reaches the square outline where he jumps over it (the edge of the square) and spins 180* mid air to land facing those he left behind. He throws his arms wide and takes a deep bow as if a gracious performer before an adoring crowd.

"Ta-da!", and he looks around fully expecting something to happen.

If nothing does right away he will look around perplexed, clear his throat, and say "Ta-da!" again but with less enthusiasm and more awkwardness as everyone is now looking at him.
He'll whisper kind of side mouthed, "Psst! Nothing happened.."

Eliza watches curiously.

GOALentertain
2017-07-30, 05:34 AM
The man in the robes sighs. "Fine."

He flips a switch and orange light fills the square. Sai vanishes.

"Alright," one of the guards says. "Now the rest of you. All at once now, no need to burn any more of this city's limited resources."

Centaurion
2017-07-30, 05:39 AM
Eliza

When it actually works, she gives an appreciative look, and then also steps on the platform with the others. She feels it would be stupid to ask where exactly it would bring them.

Mickadin
2017-07-30, 06:33 AM
The madman disappearing gives him pause. Hal almost opens his eye at that point. But then the reassuring presence of the healer encourages him, and he steps to the centre with her.

GOALentertain
2017-07-31, 07:34 AM
As the teleportation haze clears, you find yourself in a large room positively buzzing with nanotech energy. Along the walls are several mechanical maps and displays with varying data upon it. Most of it seems to be about the city, and certain people within it. Some of it seems based on other, less familiar decisions. A window on the far wall looks over the city-through clouds. You must be somewhere in the sky above it.

A man in fine clothes stands over a table with holographic images. On one side appears to be a holographic display of the city, while the terrain of the cold desert extends out away from it.

Several automatons, each carrying strange weapons-either nanotech or bladed-stand in varying places about the room. There are a handful of humans, most of whom are working at the varying displays. One notices you and moves to the well dressed man.

"Sir," she says.

"What is..." the well-dressed man asks, turning to face the guard. From the corner of his eyes, he catches sight of you. A broad smile crosses his face. "Ah! Yes, of course, our guests. Welcome, please, come in, have a seat!" He gestures to some chairs in front of the holographic display table. You hadn't noticed the chairs being their before. He waves his hand over the table, and the holographic map vanishes. He sits down in his own chair on the opposite side of the table from the ones you've been offered. "My name is Randall Orsino. I am the Lord Mayor of Far Brohn."

Mickadin
2017-07-31, 01:33 PM
"Uhm, hello. This is really a lot of trouble to go to just to pardon us... Lord Mayor."

Hal looks around nervously and eventually slinks into a chair.

Centaurion
2017-07-31, 05:54 PM
Eliza

"Err, greetings, Lord Mayor." She greets and lets herself fall into the chair next to Hal.

Rowenn552
2017-08-01, 06:19 AM
Sai

Sai remains standing and simply looking around the room amazed by everything he sees. He whistles again and says distractedly, "...Yeah, thanks..."

Snapping out of it and kind of realizing what's going on around him he addresses the man behind the desk, "So, you brought us all the way up here. You must have something in mind."

Then to the side, quickly and more quietly to himself, "..no that was not... no.. yes.. I'm telling you that was not rude... I was jus.. it was direct.. correct.. thank you...", he swipes his hair back and flashes everyone a big smile and moves into an open chair tapping his foot.

GOALentertain
2017-08-01, 07:31 AM
"Of course," he says. "I've looked at your files. Your arrests were all mistakes. Terrible misunderstandings. I am working to ensure that you are all released and your belongings returned to you regardless of anything else.

"However, I do hope that, in exchange for my aid, you would consider doing me a small favor. A few weeks ago, I sent an expedition team into Matheunis to investigate a previously unknown collection of ruins out there. They have not returned, and I cannot find them with the means presently at my disposal. I would ask they you go and look for them. If you return successfully, you would be handsomely rewarded. You will still be rewarded even if the team met their unfortunate end, provided that you bring back proof of this.

"For varying reasons, I cannot go through official channels to seek out this expedition. Whether you agree to help or not, I ask that you not speak of what I am asking to anyone else. So, is this something you would be interested in doing for me? If so, do you have any questions?

Centaurion
2017-08-01, 09:33 AM
Eliza

Eliza does not hesitate long: Being out of the city for a while and even getting paid for it? That sounds...

"...awesome. Yes. I'll do it."

After all, getting away from Winterbottom's goons is her currently most pressing goal.

Rowenn552
2017-08-01, 10:26 AM
Sai

Immediately after Eliza agrees, and way too enthusiastically, Sai stands up and shouts, "I'll go too! No questions asked!"

Then kind of stands firmly at attention smiling awkwardly with his eyes darting around at everyone, and saying through his toothy smile, "..I am not doing it again.. you're wrong.. no, wait, you're never wrong..I'm not creepy though..", totally oblivious that he can be heard.

Mickadin
2017-08-01, 11:26 AM
Haleran looks dubious at the proposal.

"So, you need disposable assets to send on a secret, and dangerous mission. You're holding the stick of our incarceration and the carrot of a reward to..."

As he reasons through it, Eliza suddenly agrees enthusiastically, followed by Sai. The quiet young man face palms, sighs, then finally nods.

"It seems we accept."

GOALentertain
2017-08-02, 07:44 AM
"Wonderful!" the Lord Governor snaps his fingers. A panel in the wall slides open and a table extends from within. On the table is all of your gear, in the condition you had it in before.

Oddity: Small leather case of cosmetics that never seem to run out

Oddity: A sticky piece of synth that shows a series of bones and adheres to almost anything

Cypher: Investigator Pulse
Anoetic
Level: 6
Type: Handheld device
Description:
All secret doors and hidden panels within short distance suddenly open.

Cypher: Catholicon
Anoetic
Level: 8
Type: Pill
Description:
Cures any disease of the same level or lower

Cypher: Sound Dampener
Anoetic
Type: Small handheld device
Description:
Dampens all sound within immediate range, providing an asset for all creatures in the area to attempt stealthy actions.

Note: The Mloxian descriptor allows you to carry one extra cypher while in Mloxian form. I'm assuming that you are presently human-looking. If you take all 4 cyphers while human-looking, you'll put yourself at the risk of consequences for being over your cypher limit. If you go into Mloxian form, then that's not a risk until such time as you transition back.

Oddity: Small rod that emits a voice saying the same thing in an unknown language every time a button is pushed

Cypher: Remote Sensorium
Anoetic
Level: 5
Type: Moldable synth
Description:
Allows the user to create a replica of one of her sensory organs and place it in a remote location up to one mile away, thus enhancing that particular sense. She can see, hear, touch, taste, or smell things that are within short range of the replicated organ as if she were also within short range.

Cypher: Heartburst
Anoetic
Level: 10
Type: Implant
Description:
This device is keyed to the hearbeat of the user. If he dies, the device explodes, inflicting damage equal to the cypher level to all within immediate range.

Note: Once injected, the Heartburst does not count against the user's cypher limit

Cypher: Electric Shroud
Anoetic
Level: 7
Type: Veil
Description:
You become invisible to all robots and electronic devices for a number of hours equal to the level of the Cypher.

Cypher: Weaponized Anger
Anoetic
Level: 8
Type: Handheld weapon
Description:
Your anger becomes a psychic weapon dealing the Cypher's level in ambient damage up to long distance. Your anger causes mental anguish which distracts your target, imposing a one step penalty on actions for the next 2 rounds. You may fire this mental weapon for up to one hour after activation.

Oddity: Black cloak which takes on the glistening rainbow sheen of oil when the hood is drawn up.

Cypher: Detonation (Foam)
Anoetic
Type: Handheld projector (long range)
Description:
Explodes with foam in an immediate area. The foam inflicts no damage but hardens immediately, filling the area with resilient spongy matter. Those trapped in the foam can break free only by using their Might or perhaps a cutting tool (which would take at least a minute). The foam disintegrates after one hour.

Cypher: Sound Amplifier
Anoetic
Level: 5
Type: Headband
Description:
Amplifies sounds within immediate range so they can be heard up to 1 mile away. The amplified noise lasts for a few minutes. Until the effect ends, everyone within immediate range of the device becomes deafened while it emits sounds.

"Additionally, here are 50 shins to account for any upfront costs you might have in carrying out your task. Lord Mayor Orsino tosses a leather bag into Eliza's pile of belongings. "If you have any questions, I welcome them. If not, then you can be on your way."

Centaurion
2017-08-02, 03:50 PM
Eliza

When Sai shows his ... individuality, she is not bothered. Instead, she feels a certain connection to the apparent misfit.

"Well... Knowing about the size of the expedition and a description of its members would be a start, I guess..."

Then, she seems to realize to have forgotten something: "... Lord Mayor."

Mickadin
2017-08-02, 07:41 PM
Hal begins gathering up his goods, sword here, toolbelt there, crossbow over his back, etc. He inspects each of his cyphers and pauses, looking from them to the others in the room for a long moment. Eventually he secures all but the implant on his person.

"I don't suppose you have another bag of shins for this?"

Rowenn552
2017-08-02, 09:53 PM
Sai

"Oooo!", exclaims Sai upon the wall revealing the load of returned belongings. He smiles and quickly moves to reclaim his gear deftly reattaching belts, belts, more belts, and his various pouches to said belts.

He picks up a set of what looks like a metal ring holding a mess of simple and ornate keys as well as other things: a fine chain dotted with multi-colored gems among the links, a thick electronic synth chip with gold colored circuits, a small bleached bone, a jagged blue key that refracts light that is cold to the touch, and so on... Sai holds the key ring close to his face staring at it for a moment before almost reverently securing it on a clip at his side on one of his belts.

He also ties his long curved knife around his left thigh before quickly wrapping a black cloak (with an almost imperceptible pattern on it), that contrasts sharply against his shiny purple and blue hair, around himself. Finally Sai inspects his spear, a length of dull green metal, which looks like it's been removed from some large machine of unknown origin and repurposed into a weapon.

At Eliza's words Sai nods to the girl, "Yeah, those are good ones... the questions."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/95/89/be/9589beb0348071c6ff532d2f236d42f8--androgynous-men-simple-clothing.jpg

GOALentertain
2017-08-03, 01:33 PM
"The expedition set out with seven people. Four guards, an aeon priest, an explorer, and..." he hesitates. You can see his eyes narrow a little bit. "a leader."

He opens a latch on the side of the table and pulls out a folder which he opens to reveal images of each of the members. The first guard is a bald-headed man with a scar running down his left cheek. The second is a wiry, younger man with blonde hair and a confident grin. The third is a woman in heavy armor with dark skin and braided hair. The fourth is a woman with odd designs tattooed across her skin. The aeon priest is depicted wearing the traditional orange robes. He looks older, but not elderly, with piercing eyes. The explorer is a woman who is depicted wearing leather armor. Her dark hair is cut short, and her green eyes seem inquisitive. The last image is of a woman with hair that is mostly a fiery red, but which has purple streaks running through it. Her large orange eyes seem to glow, seeming to almost emanate light from the image itself. She bears an expensive-looking pendant over billowy blue clothing.

Something might seem a bit familiar about one or more of the crew. If you'd like, each of you can make Intellect-based rolls to see if you remember anything about them from growing up in town.

The Lord Mayor turns to Hal. "I'm not sure I understand your question."

Rowenn552
2017-08-03, 01:57 PM
Sai

"I think he's asking how much scratch that bauble he's juggling about will get him."

Intellect roll = [roll0]

GOALentertain
2017-08-03, 02:37 PM
"Oh, well, we don't really need a device like that one, but I suppose I could part with seven shins for it."

You definitely know you've seen more than one of them about town.

You recognize the tattooed woman as Kreine. She'd been romantically involved with a member of your explorer party. An explorer herself, she'd been on one or two excursions with you, but she hadn't been on the one where the rest of the crew had died. She'd been distantly bitter towards you when you came back, but not as outright hateful as some people had been. Over time, you think she's come to accept that you weren't responsible for her former lover's death. She treats you better than a lot of people in town, even though she has the most reason to treat you otherwise.

As you gaze at the last picture, you feel like there is something incredibly familiar, and yet implacable about the young woman. You cannot find any memories of her, but you feel as if they must be there, somewhere beneath the surface. You can't imagine you'd have forgotten eyes like those. "I do believe that there's a touch of something wild about that one."

Mickadin
2017-08-03, 04:18 PM
"What Sai said."

Hal agrees, then lays the implant on the bench while he ponders.

"What can you tell us about Matheunis, and the ruins there? Will we have a map or guide to get there? And what's the deal with the woman with red and purple hair? You've got more to say about her."

(Also, Haleran is Trained in Knowledge, Memory and Lore. Does he recall any scraps of information about the place we're going?)

Centaurion
2017-08-03, 05:26 PM
Eliza also tries to think about the members of the exploration team.

[roll0]

GOALentertain
2017-08-04, 07:39 AM
(Also, Haleran is Trained in Knowledge, Memory and Lore. Does he recall any scraps of information about the place we're going?)

You can make a roll to see what you know about it. Your training provides a one level boost to your roll (essentially a +3 on the die roll).

Common knowledge would be that Matheunis, or the Cold Desert, is a part of the Beyond, just south and east of the civilized lands of the Steadfast. You know that it is cold, rocky, and barren-with very little vegetation. You know that several people from the Steadfast, wishing to be out from under what they see as oppressive rule, have fled into the Cold Desert over the last several years.

You and your guardian have healed a couple of the guards in previous encounters that they've had.

The well armored woman is Diklah. She's stoic and paid well.

The confident blonde man is Jovan. You remember him being as cocky and arrogant as he looks in his picture.

The last picture, the leader. Your head pounds as you see it. There's something there, you know it. You know that you've seen that face before. Why can't you remember? Then, the mental wall cracks. You keep thinking, and you push through it. All at once, you know her. Kassiopeia. She was a fairly famous local adventurer-not even long ago. For one so young, she hadn't had a lot of time, but she had already dismantled a gang of bandits and brought back some impressive finds of numenera from the wilds. You're pretty sure there had been a statue made of her fairly recently-although you're also pretty sure that it wasn't there when you were put into prison. What, had it only been up for a week? In town, she was known to have something of a wild side and she was seen regularly at the local taverns taking on more than her share of drink. How the hell did you forget about something like that?

"Matheunis is an uncivilized frozen hellhole," the Lord Mayor explains. "It's a wasteland that stretches from the walls of our city down to the Southern Wall. It's filled with abhuman trash and bandits who would cross our borders bringing devilweed and other plagues to our land." He waves his hand over the central table in the room, and the hologram from before-of the city and the cold desert stretching out away from it-reemerges. "The ruins are here," he gestures to a spot on the map. "They are underground. The entrance is a mechanical door that had formerly been covered with ice. The interior is a mechanical temple with numerous numenera functions thought to be controlled by a machine mind. It is unclear the level of intelligence or sanity that the machine mind possesses, as well as the extent of its power and capacity. If it is as one of the datagods, then it could make a valuable ally or a dangerous enemy. Regardless, it is believed that at the core of the structure is a numenera artifact that has recently awakened or turned on and is giving off a large energy reading. The exploration team was sent to recover this artifact, if possible, in addition to general exploration. As for the woman with the colored hair, her name is Trel. She's an explorer from a company based out of Draolis. I'm not sure what else you want me to say about her.

Rowenn552
2017-08-04, 09:16 AM
Sai

"Matheunis is an uncivilized frozen hellhole," the Lord Mayor explains.

Sai puckers his lips at what the Lord Mayor says and points at Hal, "... a yep, that was another good one... question that is. ...make a note; get warm clothing... Now here's one of my own..", he seems to confer with himself for a moment, "yes yes fine... One of our own that is. You said our job'd be finding the whereabouts and status of the previous team. What's in it for us should we make contact with this energy core whosit and retrieve that for you? Ya know, do the job you sent the others to do. We gettin' their take if we do?"

GOALentertain
2017-08-04, 10:15 AM
He purses his lips in thought for a moment, and then sighs. "If you aid them in recovering the object, then you will receive a portion of the reward for that as well. However, that must come secondary to the task of recovering the team itself. I would hate to think that in attempting to recover the object you would, through action or inaction, cause undue harm to befall the explorers that have already been sent out."

Mickadin
2017-08-04, 12:50 PM
Hal nods along as he listens and ponders this information in light of what he can recall himself.

Trained Knowledge/Lore [roll0]

Once they're finished here he gets up from his seat and offers the Lord mayor a hand.

"You have a deal. But first I need to stop by your markets."

Mickadin
2017-08-04, 12:51 PM
Interesting. Let's try that again. [roll0]

Centaurion
2017-08-04, 02:57 PM
Eliza

While still caught up in thoughts about this really strange memory about the woman, she half-absently hears about numerous numenera and a machine mind... The lore about the numenera had always stuck better in her brains than all this medical stuff... and hearing of a machine mind carried her away for a moment to think upon it.

Eliza is specialized in understanding and identifying numenera. Maybe she knows something about machine minds? Data gods?
[roll0]

Mickadin
2017-08-04, 04:33 PM
Another machine mind. That gave him pause, though he did not let it register on the human body that housed his artificial intelligence. The Mlox did not enjoy contact with automata and other sentient machines, as a rule. Not that the rules of the Mlox were commonly known to outsiders.

As he thought upon this he gazed at the woman, Eliza. She was present when her master had assisted with the repair of critical damage to the connections between his machine mind and biological frame. But so far she had said nothing. Did she not recall? Perhaps she did not recognise him in this context. Or maybe she was waiting for the right time to take advantage of his secret.

GOALentertain
2017-08-06, 04:32 AM
Unfortunately, you're unable to recall much more than has thus far been said.

Machine minds are programs that control automatons or other numenera features which go beyond simple cause/effect and basic programming. Machine minds seem capable of judgement, decision making, and sometimes even personality. They often have their own interests,
feelings, and goals. It would be like putting a human brain inside whatever machine, except that many times the machine minds are more intelligent.

Datagods are very powerful machine minds hooked up to vast numenera devices that spread over large areas-if not the whole of the Ninth World.
Oftentimes, Datagods are capable of changing the environment and of commanding the Datasphere itself. Their powers may be like those of the most powerful nanos in the land, but oftentimes even more powerful.

"Of course," the Lord Mayor says in response to Hal's request to stop by the markets. "When you're ready, simply stand on the broadcast square, and we'll send you back down."

Rowenn552
2017-08-06, 04:54 AM
Sai

Sai, now fully equipped and still looking about this room buzzing with energy, makes his way over to the square.

"We're ready when you all are."

Mickadin
2017-08-06, 06:42 AM
After committing all the files, images and map to his memory bank, Hal joins Sai on the transport square.

"Off to the market to gear up for an expedition then. I suppose we should get to know each other. So, like I said before, I'm Hal. I guess I'm what folks call a Seeker. I've travelled a fair bit lately, mostly with the circus."

He smiles warmly with his new companions. Hal just seems like he wants to get along with everybody. He continues to chatter as they head off to the market to prepare for a trip into the frozen wastes.

"So, umm. What about you two? We should figure out how we function as a team, what we're each about. Uh, make friends."

GOALentertain
2017-08-07, 08:50 AM
After you are all on the square, a switch is flipped in the room, the orange energy overtakes you, and you find yourself standing on the streets of the city. It is probably about mid-afternoon. There's a market nearby in which people busily go to and fro. No one seems to notice the sudden or odd nature of your appearance.

Centaurion
2017-08-07, 03:50 PM
Eliza

She smiles at Hal and nods. Friends. For all the time she remembers, she has never had real friends.

"I am Eliza. And I'm a..." weirdo, no wait, "healer. Or rather, a healer's apprentice... I can manipulate stuff with my mind. Sorcerer, nano, psion, whatever you prefer..." Realizing she has started babbling, she falls silent again. A moment later she adds: "I guess I'll need a coat."

Mickadin
2017-08-07, 06:23 PM
"Oh. Wow. That's all really exciting. All I do is talk to people and find things."

He smiles encouragingly as they walk around the market, occasionally stopping to haggle over some item, or getting Eliza to try on a nice warm cloak and other cold weather clothing.

"So, what's it like? You know, doing magic?"

He waggles his fingers and gives a wry grin while looking over a curious black box.

"Ooh, this will be handy where we are going."

Rowenn552
2017-08-07, 09:38 PM
Sai

Sai begins to speak, "Hello, name's Saibeck but most just call me...", then there's a flash of light and without breaking conversation, "...Sai. I like to think I'm a master of all skills and skilled at just a few... no wait... that's not... oh right right, thanks... skilled at many and master of none. A jack of many trades if you will."

He bows gracefully to Eliza and Hal. While bowed low Sai scoops up a large stone.

Approaching a nearby stall filled with some kind of brilliant red fruit Sai casually bounces the stone and as he does, it changes color from a sandy brown to brilliant red. Whistling as he passes by, there is a momentary and almost imperceptible shimmer, and he says, "So's shopping! I love shopping! Where to first?"
As he continues on down the road whistling you can see him bouncing the red stone and juggling it almost unnaturally around his hand before taking a crunchy and very juicy bite from it.

Not sure if it's even important right now but,
Using Hedge Magic (1int) = 1 cost, switch the stone's color to match the red of the fruit.
Using Legerdemain (1spd) - 1 spd edge= 0 cost, to switch the fruit with the stone without being noticed.

Sai is basically contact juggling like David Bowie as the goblin king in Labyrinth with those crystal balls

Mickadin
2017-08-08, 12:14 AM
Hal doesn't even notice Sai's trickery, despite looking right at it. For a guy who says his job is finding things he sure is oblivious. He laughs at the contact juggling though.

"Wow. You're very good at that. Where did you learn it? Hey may be I can..."

He picks up a stone and nearly flings it through a window as he clumsily attempts to mimic what he's seen.

"Uh, let's just move on. We still need tents, food, blankets..."

Hal tries to usher them away before an angry shopkeep spots him and his negligence.

GOALentertain
2017-08-08, 04:17 AM
GM intrusions provide +1 XP.

You can deny a GM intrusion for 1 XP-but you don't have any right now to use to deny this one.

This seems like an important place to talk about experience, so I'm going to post in the OOC thread about it.

Hal +1 XP

You hear a voice from the other side of the window shout "Hey! You can't do that! I'm going to get the guards."

Another voice hisses: "Let's deal with them ourselves."

You can see the outlines of several figures in the dimly lit room on the other side of the window. Some of them begin to move towards the window that you broke, while others head towards a door out of the room and into a different part of the building.

Mickadin
2017-08-08, 06:17 AM
"Oh, bugger. Not this again..."

Hal mutters mostly to himself, then smiles sheepishly to the crowd.

"Uh, hey! Hi! Look, this is all a big misunderstanding. I didn't mean any harm. But I get it. Let me make it right. How much is the window?"

Rowenn552
2017-08-08, 07:08 AM
Sai
Might: 12 Speed: 14 Intellect: 14 11

~A little bit prior
Watching Hal, Sai calls back, "Hal my man, I'd be caref...", Sai's eyes go wide as he tracks the flight of the stone.

~When the voices are heard
"...ul.", Sai tosses the fruit behind himself, takes a step, thinks about it, quick runs back to take another bite, then tosses it over his shoulder again before scrambling over to Hal's side.
[color=purple]"Beat feet, scabber! Them boys don't look like they want to reason!"
Sai tugs at Hal's shoulder, and says to Hal and Eliza, "Outta sight with us now! Then outta our skin! And then outta their thoughts! Come now, quick, quick!"

Then Sai runs away attempting to get lost in the crowd...

He'll throw up his hood and then,
Deception (trained), to blend in = [roll0]

If Eliza and Hal follow him he'll take their hands and lead them through the crowd as best he can and down an alley. Hopefully there will be some junk to hide them in..
Another Deception (trained) [add a level of Effort; Int(?)] = [roll1]
And Sai will use Sneaking (trained) to find a place for himself to hide = [roll2]

Centaurion
2017-08-08, 08:01 AM
Eliza

"But... But I could fix it..." She shouts while letting Sai dragging her away.

She lets Sai drag her away. She's not very used to making her own decisions.

Mickadin
2017-08-08, 01:12 PM
"This is such a bad idea. You know we have to come back here, right?"

Hal sighs, but given the others were already running and they were the closest thing he had to friends now, he follows.

GOALentertain
2017-08-08, 01:58 PM
As Sai tries to hide, two figures turn down the alleyway. One is a Lattimor-a large, furry, sapient, and bipedal creature (visitant) not uncommon in the Ninth World. The other is a woman wearing dark red robes.

The woman points to Sai, her expression harsh.

"What did you see?" she demands. She seems not to have noticed Hal or Eliza, hidden in the nearby drit.

A 20 on the die provides a major effect-something really good happens! A 19 on the die provides a minor effect-something somewhat good happens. So, since Rowenn got a 19, there's a minor effect involved with his attempts to hide Hal and Eliza. I'm going to say you each get a +1 on a roll where having the element of surprise would be useful. I.e. if you decided to try to attack these new strangers, you'd get a +1 on your first attack roll. I'm sure there are other uses, but that's the one that most readily comes to mind.

Mickadin
2017-08-08, 02:53 PM
In spite of his general clumsiness, Hal was actually not bad at this hiding business. He crouched in the drit close to Eliza, watching the exchange between Sai and the woman curiously. Something else was afoot here and he wanted to know what it meant. Was she part of some obscure order in those robes?

Staying hidden with Eliza
Deception, sneaking, and camouflage (Trained) [roll0]

Recognising if the woman's red robes mean anything in particular
Knowledge, memory, or lore (Trained) [roll1]

Rowenn552
2017-08-08, 03:35 PM
Sai
Might: 12; Speed: 14; Intellect: 14 8

~In the alley getting hidden
Sai tut tuts Hal and says, "Now now, I didn't go throwing stones. We'll need to work on your handwork! Quick, hush now."

~Spotted by the newcomers
Looking very surprised by the woman in red's question Sai turns and motions as if to say 'Me?', then very rushed and frantic, "A man and woman just ran by and nearly knocked me over! Rude if I do say so! They carried on to the next street over.", he brushes himself off and continues looking upset.

Deception (flex trained) [effort applied] = cost 3 int (down to 8 from 11)
[roll0] trained and effort

GOALentertain
2017-08-09, 05:37 AM
The woman's eyes narrow on you. She steps forward slowly. "Maybe you're right. Maybe it was some other hooded purple-haired rat that I saw scurry away. Then again..." Dark energy begins to swirl around her arm. "Better safe than sorry, no?"

The red robes don't necessarily signify anything in and of themselves to Hal's knowledge. However, the manner in which she is conducting herself seems to call to rumors that Hal heard recently of a criminal gang of "cultists" who operate locally and worship and distribute certian dangerous numenera artifacts.

Mickadin
2017-08-09, 06:34 AM
Hal remains hidden as his hand goes to his sword. He begins thinking to himself. She's going to blast Sai. I can't let her do that. But is he really worth it? Maybe he can handle this. I can't reveal myself here. But it is just a dark alley. Eliza already knows. But I don't know if I can trust him. Maybe I can handle this without being myself...

He gives Eliza a reassuring pat, then Hal starts edging around to the woman's side while she is focused on Sai, drawing his sword slowly as he goes.

Hal lets the point of his translucent blue synth blade rest against the flesh near one of her kidneys, through her robe. He grips the ceramic handle and gives a little nudge.

"I would not do that."

His eyes flit between her, Sai, and the Lattimor.

Sneaking (Trained) [roll0]

Intimidate (1 Effort for 3 Intellect) [roll1]

GOALentertain
2017-08-09, 12:11 PM
The Lattimor draws a large axe from his back.

"There's no need for that," the woman says. She shakes her arm, and the energy vanishes. She then raises her arms into the air, indicating compliance. "Perhaps this is all just a misunderstanding."

Centaurion
2017-08-09, 02:15 PM
Eliza carefully comes out of her hiding place.

"I could fix your window. No reason for fighting. T was an accident,.that's all."

Mickadin
2017-08-09, 02:39 PM
He rolls his eyes.

"That's what I tried to say in the first place! Can we just fix the window and call it even? Or, I dunno, I'll buy you a drink to square it up."

Hal smiles wryly, but he doesn't lower his blade just yet, given the Lattimor now had a big axe in hand.

Rowenn552
2017-08-09, 10:02 PM
Sai

"I heard 'Guards!' and panicked. Also you two don't look like the type to accept a simple apology and offer to repair your broken stuff. If you were maybe you should withhold doing that thing with your hand and the purple flames."

Sai turns his head suddenly to the side quickly and quietly saying, "No I am not making this worse...am I? No, no, you hush.."

Sai looks back at the woman in red, now brandishing a big toothy smile. He says no more but stares awkwardly at the mismatched pair letting his companions take over.

GOALentertain
2017-08-10, 05:36 AM
"That may be," the woman says, edging away from Hal's sword. She turns to her companion. "Come now, we aren't needed here." If no one opposes her, then she will leave, followed by her companion.

If anyone wants to make a Perception roll, as an intellect based task, this could be a time to try to do that.

Mickadin
2017-08-10, 07:14 AM
"Oh. Okay. Well, it was nice meeting you, miss."

He puts his sword away and gives the woman and her friend a wave before turning back to the others.

"She seemed nice for a criminal cultist Numenera smuggler."

Perception (Inability) [roll0]

Centaurion
2017-08-10, 09:23 AM
Eliza only nods. Kind of curious that she did not enforce us actually repairing the window...

Okay, so, I'll use 1 Effort. Costing 2 points from my intellect pool because I have an Intellect Edge of 1.
[roll0]

GOALentertain
2017-08-10, 09:51 AM
Eliza notices a glint of sunlight reflecting off of something metallic that the woman dropped. A small metal shape that lands on the ground and begins swiftly moving in your direction as the woman continues to walk away.

Centaurion
2017-08-11, 04:59 AM
Startled and unsure what exactly it is, Eliza assumes a worst case scenario.

Disperse and take cover! she commands, pointing to the device and then trying to take suggested cover somewhere.

Mickadin
2017-08-11, 05:23 AM
Eliza yelling and pointing at the device snaps him out of his oblivious and thoughts race across his mind. Preserving his secret meant little if he were blown apart. The centre of his forehead irises open to reveal a blue white light that surrounds him with a glowing ward. His face loses all expression and suddenly Hal moved with unnatural speed and grace to avoid what may be coming.

Thankfully they were down an alley, at least.

Rowenn552
2017-08-11, 05:41 AM
Sai
Might: 12; Speed: 14 12; Intellect: 14 8

Sai watches the woman in red and the Lattimore go before turning away from them to face his companions.

He scratches his head and says, "Sorry about that. The running thing... when you grow up on these streets and hear the word 'Guards!' yelled out it's habit to run away, kennit?"

Distracted by his apologies he's unaware of the spinning metal thing behind him until Eliza shouts out drawing everyone's attention to it.

Sai mutters an agreement to a statement that no one said, "Uh-oh is right.", right before running back down the alley the way they came and away from that metal object.

Applying a level of Effort.
Speed roll (Edge = 1; cost = 2): [roll0]
Edit: Ugh... besides that 19 that I got this roller hates me haha

GOALentertain
2017-08-11, 05:53 AM
The device stops on the ground in between Hal, Sai, and Eliza. It begins to flash red, and a faint beeping sound is heard from it.

As Sai runs down the alleyway, two automatons step out in front of him. Looking down the other end of the ally, two more step into the way. Each of them has one arm that is replaced with a blade, and their movements are clearly hostile.

Now would be a good time to roll initiative.

Mickadin
2017-08-11, 07:05 AM
He doesn't bother to speak in his new mindset. The translucent blue synthsteel sword reappears in his hand, matched by a shiny metal disk that may once have been an access hatch of some kind, but now functioned as a shield, in his off hand. He moved with inhuman grace to stand before the healer.

Initiative (Untrained)
[roll0]

Centaurion
2017-08-11, 11:39 AM
Eliza readies herself for combat.

[roll0]
It's just a normal 1d20 roll, right?

Rowenn552
2017-08-11, 11:57 AM
Sai

Sai skids to a stop, "Ah crap...", and readies his spear.

Initiative = [roll0]

Gave Sai back those 2 speed points since there wasn't a call for a defense roll. That was just a preemptive thing in case you were going to ask for one.

Albinobrow
2017-08-11, 12:39 PM
Lapis walked down the streets of the market trying to decide where to purchase his next meal. His foot brushes against something in the dirt, and sees a juicy apple with a little drit and a couple bites taken from it. He shrugs, picks it up, brushes as much drit off as possible, and takes a giant bite! Still tasty! he laughs to himself as apple juice dribbles in his beard.

As he walks a little further, he notices a couple automatons turn down an alley. He takes one more bite and drops the apple before putting on his snake helmet, and grabs his shield and veered. Then he follows the automatons.

[roll0]

GOALentertain
2017-08-11, 12:43 PM
Lapis

Eliza

Automatons

Sai

Hal

Lapis, you're up. Eliza's on deck.

Albinobrow
2017-08-11, 05:23 PM
Lapis peaks over the shoulders of the automatons, and sees two strange looking men and a woman, blocked in by 2 more automatons on the other side of the alley. Clearly in trouble, he clutches his weapon tightly, and thrusts forward!

Attack one of the automatons!
Thrust (1 might point - 1 from edge=0) 5 points of damage
Attack [roll0]

Defensive roll (if needed)
[roll1] Using shield asset for Speed defense, Trained in both might and intellect defenses

GOALentertain
2017-08-12, 04:12 AM
The automaton spins to face Lapis, moving smoothly out of the way. Orange lines across the body of the automaton light up as it prepares its response.

Eliza

Automatons

Sai

Hal

Lapis

Eliza's up. Automatons on deck, followed by Sai

Centaurion
2017-08-12, 05:26 AM
Eliza turns to the enemy and draws her buzzer. Without thinking too much, she fires a round at the machine.

[roll0]

I think her class gives her some proficiency with light weapons, but not sure what this means.

GOALentertain
2017-08-12, 07:43 AM
Sparks shower from the the machine where the buzzer disk hits. It seems to freeze up. Did it stop? It's unclear.

The unharmed automaton in front of Sai swings at him with bladed arm.

The automaton that Lapis thrusted at swings his bladed arm down in the newcomer, but the blade catches Lapis's shield.

The third automaton rushes forward and lashes out at Hal with his non-blade arm.

Sai and Hal, each of you make a speed defense roll.

Sai

Hal

Lapis

Eliza

Automatons

Sai is up, followed by Hal.

Mickadin
2017-08-12, 07:51 AM
Hal moved as if he could predict the movements of the automaton before it made them. Sidestepping and batting the attack away with his shield as he prepared to counterattack, he muttered tonelessly.

"Automatons. Why is it always automatons."

Speed Defence (Specialised due to Mlox form and being unarmoured. Asset due to Shield. Task reduced by one step due to Battle Numenera seeker secret. Total adjustment -4 steps difficulty.)
[roll0]

Rowenn552
2017-08-12, 10:32 AM
Sai
Might: 12; Speed: 14 12; Intellect: 14 8

Sai says while holding his arms out in a placating manner, "Hey there fellas... think we could talk this ou... whoa!" as the automatons flip blades out of their arms and begin launching their assault.

Sai jumps back attempting to dodge the swipe, "Ok, well then, a bit of violence is it?", before returning a thrust of his own...

Dodge, Speed Defense (Trained, -1 step): [roll0]

Attack, Speed Attack (Effort applied for damage; cost 2 (Speed Edge 1): [roll1], if successful damage = 7

Mickadin
2017-08-12, 12:05 PM
After (hopefully) deflecting the attack of his mechanical foe, Haleran slashed under its guard with his blue blade...

Speed Attack. Medium Weapon.
Task difficulty -1 due to Battles Numenera
1 level of effort toward damage. (2 Speed cost due to 1 edge.)
[roll0]

Albinobrow
2017-08-12, 12:15 PM
Lapis knocks the blade arm away with his shield, spinning around and adding the momentum from the hit to his next strike!

Might=11
Speed=12
Intellect=12

Thrust attack with effort (3 might points for effort + 1 might point for thrust -1 point for edge= 3 points spent)
Lower task difficulty by one, +1 damage total of 5 if it hits.
[roll0]

Speed defense roll if needed
Shield asset lowers task diffulty by one
[roll1]

GOALentertain
2017-08-12, 12:29 PM
Hal and Sai each deftly dodge out of the way of the attacks directed at them. Unfortunately, their foes seem equally deft at dodging the strikes directed at them.

Lapis's blow lands true. The automaton seems to freeze. A beam of red light fires from it into the air, matched and meeting up with one simultaneously fired by the automaton that had been previously hit by Eliza's buzzer.

Eliza

Automatons

Sai

Hal

Lapis

Eliza, then Automatons, then Sai.

Centaurion
2017-08-14, 05:18 AM
Eliza is somewhat surprised with the outcome of her shot, and quickly aims at another machine, pondering on what could be behind their red signaling, its relation to the small piece of metal and its blinking.

[roll0], spending 1 effort on this.
[roll1], spending 1 effort on this. If its all about Numenera, she is specialized in this.

GOALentertain
2017-08-14, 05:25 AM
Eliza's thoughts race, trying to identify the meaning of the red beams. Could they be a signal, calling more automatons or other enemies to their location?
She aims her buzzer one more time, but then the realization rips through her, startling her and causing her to lose focus. Her buzzer disk flies over the head of her target as she realizes the truth: These automatons, once disabled, are synchronizing a self-destruction. Their programming, ancient or more current, has set them to destroy themselves as a last resort in hopes of destroying their enemies.

Centaurion
2017-08-14, 07:53 AM
Eliza, shocked upon her realization stumbles backwards...

"Careful! They're gonna blow themselves up once disabled."

GOALentertain
2017-08-14, 09:46 AM
The automaton nearest to Hal stretches upward, its legs seeming to unfold to allow greater height. Its arms separate from two into four. You can hear a grating mechanical sound as it does this.

Its companion seems to stop in place. A red beam extends from its chest to its now larger ally.

Sai

Hal

Lapis

Eliza

Automatons

Sai, then Hal

Rowenn552
2017-08-14, 05:07 PM
Sai
Might: 12; Speed: 10/14; Intellect: 8/14

"Yes, yes, I see that! How could I miss that tin can sprouting two more arms!" Sai yells to no one in particular.

When he hears Eliza's warning Sai begins to cackle, "...Of course they are.. why wouldn't they do that..."

Seeing no other real option though besides clearing this path and getting out of this death trap he launches another assault at the four armed automata...

I think there's only one in front of Hal and myself with Lapis on the other side and Cent a little behind Hal and myself.. that sound right?
The idea is to cut that last one down and get out of there.

Anyway.. here goes,
Attack: [roll0], using a level of Effort (cost= 2 Speed) for damage.
If successful, damage = 7

If it drops or does its light thing Sai is calling for Eliza to run, he will wait for her.

GOALentertain
2017-08-14, 05:21 PM
Metal collides with metal as Sai's blade strikes the enlarged foe. Red lights flash about the automaton, but it appears to still be active.

I'm assuming (but not certain) that Hal will destroy this thing before it gets another turn. I'm assuming (But not certain)
that the plan will be, at that point, to run away. So, if people want to give me rolls for running away, that would be cool.

Rowenn552
2017-08-14, 06:31 PM
Escape: [roll0], applying a level of speed effort (cost: 2 speed)

Edit: Bahahahhaha

Mickadin
2017-08-14, 06:36 PM
Hal, on the other hand, does not attack the automaton. Something had to draw them here. He spins and slams his shield down on the pulsating orb the woman in red had rolled into the alley. Perhaps it was the key to their impending destruction.

Might check.
One level of effort for 3 might. Untrained. Total mod -1
[roll0]

GOALentertain
2017-08-15, 07:57 AM
Hal's shield hits the flashing metallic device. It is pushed down by the force of the shield, and then thrown into the air. It collides with the nearby ally wall, breaking as the pieces fall to the ground. The robots seem unmoved by this.

Sai rolled a 1, meaning that he's going to get the joy of facing a free GM intrusion. However, since we haven't actually killed the last automaton yet, I'm going to save that for when it makes sense that he would be running away. If he tries to run away on his turn, even if the automaton isn't destroyed, then we'll resolve that then. Otherwise, it'll be once the automaton falls and everyone tries to get away from explosionville.

Lapis

Eliza

Automatons

Sai

Hal

Lapis, then Eliza

Albinobrow
2017-08-15, 12:01 PM
Lapis grabs the automaton in front and attempts to pull him out from the alley and pin him on the ground around the corner!

I want to use effort to try and pull the automaton I hit out of the alley and pin him on the ground!
Using two points of might (3 for effort -1 for edge, total might 10) lowers difficulty by 1. I have an inability for moving things though I don't know if it applies here.. if so they cancel each other out.

[roll0]

Damn...

GOALentertain
2017-08-16, 04:56 AM
Lapis grabbed a hold of the automaton. Unfortunately, he got caught in one of the red beams of light.

Lapis-Make a Might defense roll

Eliza

Automatons

Sai

Hal

Lapis

Eliza, Automatons, Sai...

Albinobrow
2017-08-16, 05:30 AM
Lapis grabbed a hold of the automaton. Unfortunately, he got caught in one of the red beams of light.

Lapis-Make a Might defense roll

Eliza

Automatons

Sai

Hal

Lapis

Eliza, Automatons, Sai...

Might defense roll (trained) [roll0]

Centaurion
2017-08-18, 02:49 AM
Eliza tries to get out of reach of the automata.

Not sure how movement works, but I could imagine a speed roll would be something you want?
[roll0]

GOALentertain
2017-08-21, 06:31 AM
The red beam burns Lapis's skin, causing 4 points of Might damage.

Eliza rushes past the automatons. As she does, she pushes one to the ground. The red light is disrupted-at least momentarily-while one of the bots falls to the ground, out of sync.

Eliza got a 20 on the die, granting a "major effect." The one I'm granting is this disruption of the red light. If everyone would like to, they can get away without needing to make speed/running rolls.

Mickadin
2017-08-21, 07:12 PM
Hal takes the chance to capitalise on Eliza's distraction, skipping out of the alley behind her as the glowing aperture in his forehead irises closed.

Rowenn552
2017-08-21, 08:15 PM
Sai

Seeing Eliza bolt, Sai takes a moment to look around before racing after her.

GOALentertain
2017-08-22, 01:39 PM
Eliza, Sai, and Hal take off out of the alleyway, leaving their newfound guardian to deal with the automatons or to run and follow after them.

Mickadin
2017-08-22, 04:34 PM
"Oh, hey... Uh. What about that other guy?"

Hal asks as he returns to his cheerful, clumsy self.

Albinobrow
2017-08-22, 07:51 PM
"Oh, hey... Uh. What about that other guy?"

Hal asks as he returns to his cheerful, clumsy self.

Lapis grits his teeth and growls as he catches the beam on his arm!

GO! I'll catch up momentarily!

Lapis takes 2 points of damage due to armor protecting him from 2. (I don't think absorbs energy actually applies here. If it does, I'm totally doing that for 1 intellect point!)
Might pool is at 9 now.

I'm going to use surging confidence (0 cost due to might edge) to use a recovery roll and still take an action.

Recovery roll [roll0]
Points will go to might.

And take the guard action to not let any of the automatons pass me. After a round of them running and me guarding, I too will run!

GOALentertain
2017-08-23, 07:47 AM
Lapis stands in the middle of the alleyway, on guard against any of the mechanical foes. However, none of them give chase. The expanded foe picks up its companion and puts it back into place. The red beams of light reconnect and begin to pulse with brighter energy. A loud thrumming sound is heard from them.

When he's convinced that they aren't going to give chase, Lapis turns and runs after his newfound companions.

As they cross out of the alleyway, there is a tremendous cracking sound followed by a burst of flames pouring out behind them. The buildings of the alleyway are set ablaze and the people walking about beyond the alley are giving Lapis, Hal, Eliza, and Sai interested looks.

Mickadin
2017-08-23, 08:57 AM
Hal's eyes go wide as the buildings nearby are set aflame, and he takes Eliza by the arm.

"Uh. I think we should get out of the city before they lock us up again."

Albinobrow
2017-08-23, 12:23 PM
Lapis quickly catches up to the others who were trapped in the alley, sheathes his weapons, and asks, Looks like you all could use a hand! Is everyone ok? What happened back there?

For myself

Might 13
Speed 12
Intellect 12

GOALentertain
2017-08-27, 05:08 PM
"No, I don't think...Fine..." Sai looks from the air next to him to the crowd to you guys. "Apparently it would be good for us not to get killed by the crowd."

With this, Sai runs off down a different random alleyway.

Mickadin
2017-08-27, 06:50 PM
"Uh, okay..."

Hal watches Sai abandon them and bites his lip. His eyes drift from Eliza to the new guy.

"I don't know. That was a... thing. Thanks for stepping in."

The Seeker looks around at the people watching and tugs on Eliza's hand again.

"We really, really need to get out of here and get to our mission. Or just...get out of here at least."

Albinobrow
2017-08-27, 09:27 PM
"Uh, okay..."

Hal watches Sai abandon them and bites his lip. His eyes drift from Eliza to the new guy.

"I don't know. That was a... thing. Thanks for stepping in."

The Seeker looks around at the people watching and tugs on Eliza's hand again.

"We really, really need to get out of here and get to our mission. Or just...get out of here at least."

Yeah, you're welcome.

Lapis starts to turn away before his ears perk up.

Wait, mission? As in a paid job? My last contract just came to a close and seeing how.. he gestures towards the run away, ... you appear to be short a person, I would like to offer my assistance in helping finish your 'mission.'

Without waiting for a response he offers his hand,
I am called Lapis.

GOALentertain
2017-08-31, 05:45 AM
As you're standing around talking, you can notice, in the crowd, the woman from before. There appear to be a few others with her. They appear to be looking in the direction of the explosion-and therefore your direction.

Mickadin
2017-09-01, 06:20 AM
"Hi, Lapis. Hal."

He answers absently as he watches the woman and her friends.

"Uh, Eliza, that woman is watching us..."

chadpants
2017-09-01, 08:00 AM
As she walks toward the crowd to see what's drawing people's attention, Alinandra catches sight of the woman in red watching the frazzled party. She then stops and takes a moment to ascertain the situation and to see what unfolds next. That party may be just the one she is looking for...

Albinobrow
2017-09-02, 10:05 AM
"Hi, Lapis. Hal."

He answers absently as he watches the woman and her friends.

"Uh, Eliza, that woman is watching us..."

Lapis looks over the same direction finding "that woman."

I'm assuming that "that woman" is the cause of your predicament in the alley? If so, then let's get moving.

He takes a step in the opposite direction of "that woman" and stops and takes a step backwards to where he was.

It occurs to me that I have no idea where your mission is taking you. So where are we going Hal?

Mickadin
2017-09-02, 10:49 AM
He pulls his hood back up and smiles wryly.

"It's a uh, rescue mission. First we're going to rescue me from an angry mob brewing up after their buildings got set alight. Then we're going to rescue a team of explorers out in the cold desert. You have your warm underwear, right?"

With the rest of his team missing or gone quiet, Hal steps up, taking charge as he leads the way out of town.

chadpants
2017-09-02, 11:22 AM
Alinandra sees the young man in the party she's been observing pull a hood up over his wavy blonde hair. She realizes he matches the description given to her of one of the members of the party she has been charged with joining.

The attractive and stylishly dressed young woman squeezes and shoulders her way through the accumulating throng in the direction of the small party.

"Hey, wait! I need to talk to you..." she shouts as she waves her hands over the heads of the crowd.
(the name of the blonde fellow does not readily come to mind to call out).

Mickadin
2017-09-02, 11:55 AM
Haleran blinks as the attractive woman approaches, then tries not to trip over his own feet when she addresses him.

"Uh..."

chadpants
2017-09-02, 12:25 PM
Alinandra finally wends her way through the crowd and reaches the small group. She smiles broadly as she stops before Haleran, briefly glancing back at the throng and the woman in red with company before turning to address him.

"Boy, you lot have been a challenge to track down. I've been looking for you for the better part of the day!"

She takes a moment to look over the meager party. "The Lord Mayor was right, you do need a bit of help. Looks like your party has been shedding members. That must be why he's asked me to join you on this mission. I bet he's been keeping tabs on you guys while you've still been here."

She extends her hand, a little twinkle in her eye. "I'm Alinandra, by the way." She indicates the direction in which they were about to head. "Well, we can play catch-up on the road.
It looks like you've garnered more attention than you may have wanted.
We best get moving. Shall we?"

Albinobrow
2017-09-02, 03:36 PM
Alinandra finally wends her way through the crowd and reaches the small group. She smiles broadly as she stops before Haleran, briefly glancing back at the throng and the woman in red with company before turning to address him.

"Boy, you lot have been a challenge to track down. I've been looking for you for the better part of the day!"

She takes a moment to look over the meager party. "The Lord Mayor was right, you do need a bit of help. Looks like your party has been shedding members. That must be why he's asked me to join you on this mission. I bet he's been keeping tabs on you guys while you've still been here."

She extends her hand, a little twinkle in her eye. "I'm Alinandra, by the way." She indicates the direction in which they were about to head. "Well, we can play catch-up on the road.
It looks like you've garnered more attention than you may have wanted.
We best get moving. Shall we?"

Look here little lady! The tall brute squares up to her, blocking her path. I've already filled the hole for this mission that the weird looking kid left behind when he bolted! I don't intend to give up what has already been agreed to me!

Without averting his gaze he calls back to the others,

Back me up in this!

chadpants
2017-09-02, 06:57 PM
Alinandra quickly looks at the other two, then back to Lapis. "Well..." she says, doing the up-and-down look-over, the with a barely audible chuckle, "...Big Boy, I'm not sure what's already been agreed to you, and I assure you I have no intention of... muscling... in on it." She gives a quick take of his sizable arms on the word muscling.

"All I know is that I have been charged by the Lord Mayor to join up with you to help find that missing expedition party. If you take issue with having this little lady join your team we should let the Lord Mayor know of your concerns. Let him know you disagree with his decision. Sound good? I'll lead the way. I believe his office is this way?" She extends her arm, indicating the direction through the gathered crowd and the woman in red with her posse.

"Or we could make our way quickly out of this town and get on with the mission, then discuss what has been agreed to you later?"

Mickadin
2017-09-02, 08:54 PM
Hal blinks as they argue, then takes Eliza by the arm and continues to surreptitiously make his way out of the city, leaving the argument behind...

Albinobrow
2017-09-02, 11:08 PM
With an almost growl like grumble, he turns to the second direction following in Hal and Eliza's footsteps!

Mickadin
2017-09-03, 03:42 AM
"Ack! They're following me!"

Hal exclaims in a moment of anxiety.

GOALentertain
2017-09-03, 05:16 AM
As Hal, mute Eliza, and potentially the others make their way out of the gate on the south side of the city, they are immediately greeted by blasts of cold air from the sandy planes beyond. A further chill reaches you as the thought occurs that stepping out is not just the beginning of a new journey, but it is also leaving the familiarity of the Steadfast behind. For some of you, perhaps this is your first time out in the Beyond.

A single well-worn path, used by traders, because who the hell else would venture out into the cold desert? stretches to the southeast. At least Hal will recall, from the Lord Mayor's map, that the place you want to go doesn't fall along that path and instead lies out to the southwest.

chadpants
2017-09-03, 08:05 AM
Alinandra turns and quickens her pace to catch up with the rest as they make their way out of town.

"Don't worry," she says to Hal, "we'll behave. Won't we, Big Boy?" She turns and smiles at the large glaive.

"So, who's the official leader of this team if there is one? Do we have a plan, or did the Lord Mayor give any idea as to where we should focus our search? Matheunis is a big place. I take it this path would lead to the ruins?"

Mickadin
2017-09-03, 10:34 AM
He slows down when he notices...
1. They're not going away, and
2. They're not trying to capture him for his bounty.
Maybe this pair were genuine.

"We're not going to keep following the path. I have the route stored in my... uh, I have our course of travel memorised."

Hal purses his lips and taps the side of his head. The human-looking young guy pulls his cloak tighter in the biting cold.

"My name is Haleran, this is Eliza. There's not really so many of us that we needed a heirarchy."

Albinobrow
2017-09-03, 11:26 AM
Alinandra turns and quickens her pace to catch up with the rest as they make their way out of town.

"Don't worry," she says to Hal, "we'll behave. Won't we, Big Boy?" She turns and smiles at the large glaive.

"So, who's the official leader of this team if there is one? Do we have a plan, or did the Lord Mayor give any idea as to where we should focus our search? Matheunis is a big place. I take it this path would lead to the ruins?"

Lapis blushes a little when this attractive stranger smiles at him. Yeah, I'll behave so long as you behave.

When Hal tells them where they are going he says, Just lead the way! And point me in the right direction. I'm pretty resilient and a good shield when needed.

GOALentertain
2017-09-06, 07:26 AM
Hal leads the way across the bridge over the Sadara River and into the desert.

The hours of walking turn into days. Cold days that seem to stretch onward without end. Vegetation and animals seem sparse, but somehow even when rations run low you're able to find enough food to subsist on. After a week of walking, the question is strong in everyone's mind: Did Hal lose his way? Have they gone off mission?

Just when someone may have been about to announce this concern, a strange sight is seen.

You can see seven stones floating high above a particularly desolate area of the desert. The stones are filled with ancient edifices that have been eroded by aeons and are covered with so much sediment that they are easily mistaken for natural cliffsides and plateaus. The largest of the stones, shaped like a diamond and almost 1 mile from top to bottom, floats nearly a half mile above the ground. Perhaps more interesting, however, is a much smaller flat-topped rock that floats 2,000 feet in the air. Water pours down it in four separate streams, creating a narrow river that runs through the desert to the west. At the top of the stone, a holographic projection of a mysterious symbol floats, lighting the night sky for a mile around as though it were a second moon.

Mickadin
2017-09-06, 08:29 AM
"It appears this is the place. Now to find the Lord Mayor's previous team..."

Hal looks over the scene with no small sense of wonder.

"If they're up there then we have a fun job trying to follow them."

chadpants
2017-09-06, 07:40 PM
"Are you sure this is the place? How do you know?" Alinandra asks while pulling her fur lined cloak tighter around her.

She takes in the strange floating rocks with wonder as well. "You think they might be up there? If so, some weirdness must have got them up there. Let's see if anything stands out..."

She begins to peruse the area to see if there is some form of numenera that might be able to somehow take a person a mile up above the ground.

No effort or abilities: [roll0]

Mickadin
2017-09-06, 08:34 PM
"Because I remember everything."

He answers, his voice taking on a lifeless tone as a glowing portal irises open in the centre of his forehead, and Haleran studies the area on approach too.

Perception, Trained [roll0]

Albinobrow
2017-09-06, 10:55 PM
Lapis's jaw goes slack at the awe of these formations suspended in the sky. But as he notices the strange glow from Hal's forehead he can't help but look at his own hands in curiosity. Could he have answers?

It'll have to wait.

He too scans the area taking particular notice of the hologram above them.

untrained
[roll0]

GOALentertain
2017-09-07, 01:44 AM
As you search below the stones, you notice something moving within the water pouring down. A snake? No, it appears to be a rope-made of a waterproof nylon material.

Something is nagging at the edge of Hal's memory. Make an intellect-based memory roll (I assume you're in your human guize,
which would make you trained...although since you were just trained in perception, i guess not?)

Mickadin
2017-09-07, 02:48 AM
Hal had opened his eye and reverted to his true Mloxan form, so his memory was hazy at best as his form was focused on immediate function instead...
But the tugging at the edge of his mind caused him to try to focus his machine brain on the thoughts.

Intellect, Memory (Inability) Effort 1 for 3 Intellect. Net difference 0. [roll0]
Edit: Even with being trained, I wasn't going to pass on that roll

GOALentertain
2017-09-07, 02:56 AM
Hal's processes come up in error. They were unable to find the memory they had been searching for. Perhaps the feeling nagging at the back of his mind had been nothing. If it was important, hopefully it would come back to him later.

chadpants
2017-09-07, 01:25 PM
Alinandra notices something writhing(?) in the stream of water cascading from the elevated flat rock. She points to the stream and turns to Hal to say something, then hesitates when she sees he appears to be almost in a trancelike state. She also takes note of the glowing eye shaped spot on his forehead, then takes a step toward Lapis.

"I'm not sure what's going on with him, but I don't want to bother him while he's in that state. If he's like that too long we'll try to shake him out of it, but for now let's leave him be. There's something in that water stream there. What do you say we check it out, Big Boy?"

She walks over to the stream and grabs the rope. She examines a bit, looks up to where it ascends, then gently tugs on it.

Mickadin
2017-09-07, 03:36 PM
It really does not take long at all for his thoughts to process. Once his memory search is finished, along with his physical search, Hal is at the rope with his eye irised closed again.

"Let's see what this does."

He says cheerfully.

Albinobrow
2017-09-07, 07:12 PM
Lapis blushes fiercely. He can't remember the last time someone really flirted with him, let alone someone this attractive! But he clears his throat, puffs up his just a bit.

Well is it sturdy? Looks like it might be difficult to climb. Though I'm really pretty decent at it. I could give it a shot if needed.

Lapis smiles as well, though the effect is quite different from Hal's. His thin stretched lips barely revealing any teeth past the birds nest of his beard.

chadpants
2017-09-07, 07:45 PM
She gazes up at the rock above. "I don't know... that's a long ways up. You think a mile, maybe? I don't know anyone that can climb up a mile on a rope. Not that I'm doubting your skill, it's just that... well. And do either of you recognize that symbol on top of the rock?"

She then turns to Hal. "What happened to you just now? Are you okay?"

Albinobrow
2017-09-07, 10:56 PM
Lapis looks to Alinandra, and then up the rope, and then back to Alinandra again.

Of course. I know that..

Sheepishly he backs up. And looks at the hologram once more.

Do I know anything about the symbol?
[roll0]

Mickadin
2017-09-08, 01:00 AM
"I don't know what you mean. I'm fine."

He says cheerily, brushing off her concern.

Hal begins to check out the synthetic rope. Clearly it wasn't meant to climb all the way up, but there must be some method to ascend. He tries tugging on it and exploring the nearby area.

GOALentertain
2017-09-08, 09:10 AM
The rope seems sturdy. Tugging on it doesn't cause any other effect that you're aware of.

In studying the symbol, Lapis recognizes that it is an old world symbol. He's not aware of if there's a more solid analysis of it that has been done, but it seems to be often found around transdimensional numenera.

I just remembered! Alinandra might have a chance of remembering that thing that Hal couldn't! Make an Intellect-based memory roll.

Mickadin
2017-09-08, 06:43 PM
"Hmm. There was a transport device connected to the Lord Mayor's office. Maybe this is a similar arrangement."

chadpants
2017-09-08, 07:14 PM
"Maybe," she says in response to Hal, "but you figure that rope has to be for something..."

She trails off as something tugs at her memory, which isn't all that great to begin with. What is it? What seems so familiar...?

Inability in memory and knowledge, add a step: [roll0]

GOALentertain
2017-09-09, 04:10 AM
While Alinandra didn't get to see the nifty 3D projected map, she did see a flatter one and was told about the mission. She remembers that she was told the ruins were underground. If these were them, then something was seriously wrong. She does remember another set of ruins/a site of ancient weirdness that was marked on the map not to far from the ruins that are related to the mission. These might be them-in which case there's a chance they're related, but there's also a chance that it's just more Ninth World weirdness. There could be some value in figuring out if there's a way to use the rope to get up there-possibly through some sort of harness system combined with rope that one of you has with you-but it might be value that's off mission.

chadpants
2017-09-09, 08:58 AM
Alinandra snaps her fingers. "It just occurred to me. The ruins we're looking for are underground. These can't be it as they're obviously not underground. But the map I saw did show some other ruins near our target site. Maybe they're connected somehow?"

She follows the synth rope up with her eyes. "What if this is meant to pull someone up? Is there another rope or something that pulls this one up? If there is, one of us could tie this rope around ourself while the rest of us winch it up?"

Perception [roll0]

Mickadin
2017-09-09, 10:09 AM
"Our mission is to find the team in the underground complex. But this is definitely something to look into later."

Albinobrow
2017-09-09, 11:41 AM
Im all for exploring those up there as well! But if it is near here, where might it be?

Lapis then grumbles quietly to himself,

Would've been nice to know it was underground..

[roll0]

GOALentertain
2017-09-13, 01:22 PM
Looking around, Lapis is able to find a loose tent-stake buried in the sand. As he continues his search, he finds other indications that someone had camped out here-but not terribly recently. Maybe a few weeks ago. He thinks he might be able to make out what way they went, but it's very faint.

Albinobrow
2017-09-13, 07:05 PM
Look at this! It looks like the explorers we are looking for may have camped over here not long ago. Maybe we can see where they left from here?

He then starts very gingerly, which looks extremely awkward for the burly man, walking around the camp trying not to disturb anything and looking for tracks leading else where.

I'm going to use some edge here because I feel like it fits with how I described this haha!

So one difficulty lower using 3 intellect points putting him at 9 I believe..? I don't have my sheet in front of me currently. I'll double check later.

[roll0] BOOM!

Mickadin
2017-09-14, 05:05 AM
Hal doesn't seem troubled that he missed these things. In general he seems to be rather oblivious and happy go lucky. He does watch the big guy curiously as he sets about tracking though.

GOALentertain
2017-09-14, 05:06 AM
Lapis is pretty sure he can find some traces of the past group that he could follow.

Albinobrow
2017-09-14, 01:04 PM
Here they are! He points excitededly at the tracks he found. Following with his eyes and index finger he traces there path, And there they go!

He looks back at the others with a smile!

Shall we?

Lapis looks expectantly at the rest waiting for someone to take the lead, but if no one does, he takes off quickly following the tracks!

And my current stats
Might = 14
Speed = 12
Intellect = 9

chadpants
2017-09-14, 02:46 PM
"Alright, let's do this! You know we're counting on you to whack anything that attacks us, right! Lead the way, Big Boy!"

She wraps her cloak around herself to fend of the chill and queues up behind Lapis.

Albinobrow
2017-09-15, 04:14 AM
"Alright, let's do this! You know we're counting on you to whack anything that attacks us, right! Lead the way, Big Boy!"

She wraps her cloak around herself to fend of the chill and queues up behind Lapis.

Lapis blushes again for some reason, and puts on his snake shaped helmet to try and cover the fact. Then he follows the tracks to see where they take the party!

Mickadin
2017-09-15, 11:59 AM
Hal is still happily following along, smiling to himself at the interplay between the other two.