PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Divine casting archer prestige class

xkroku
2017-07-28, 08:32 AM
Hello Playgrounders!

I'm looking for a prestige class for an archer type character build. It needs to progress divine (more specific: cleric) spellcasting. It would be great if it had at least madium BAB and 7/10 casting progression.

Also if you know any great feats for a cleric archer beside Zen Archery, post them too.

Thank you!

Uckleverry
2017-07-28, 08:46 AM
There's a class that gives you FULL divine spellcasting with medium BAB.

A cleric.

An elf cleric with Zen Archery and the Elf domain is what you want. Or a cleric of any race with the War domain and a deity with a bow as their favored weapon.

Dunsparce
2017-07-28, 09:23 AM
I have to agree that a Prestige class is unneeded for such a character concept, just playing a cleric with a way to gain proficiency in the bow of your choice is the best bet overall.

Geddy2112
2017-07-28, 10:43 AM
If pathfinder is on the table, the hinterlander (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/hinterlander/) prestige class will fit the bill. Although a lot of the class features might not be relevant to your build.

So long as your cleric worships a deity that grants longbow proficiency or get it through racial ability, fighter dip, feat, whatever, then you don't really need a prestige class.

barakaka
2017-07-29, 02:09 PM
I dunno man, it's not optimal, but there's the Ranged Smite Evil feat, or you could take the elf variant paladin to get the same with the loss of heavy armor proficiency.

Then you go Ordained Champion to get all 'dem smites and go to church!

DEMON
2017-07-29, 02:56 PM
I've heard there's an Island with lots of Mists. One should look for it, Seek it, if you will.

Complete Divine p. 61 would be a good place to start.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-29, 03:17 PM
Full-BAB classes like the Bone Knight, Ordained Champion, and Fist of Raziel are fine choices even if they aren't specifically archery-oriented.

Dunsparce
2017-07-29, 03:51 PM
Full-BAB classes like the Bone Knight, Ordained Champion, and Fist of Raziel are fine choices even if they aren't specifically archery-oriented.

Bone Knight isn't a full BAB class.

ranagrande
2017-07-29, 04:08 PM
Knight of the Raven from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft would be good for this. It loses a caster level at level 1, and in exchange it gets full BAB, and a bunch of other stuff.

Thurbane
2017-07-29, 05:05 PM
How about a Fey Favored Soul?

Say, Kiloren Favored Soul 6/Ruathar 3/Knight of the Raven 10/Favored Soul +1. Pick a god with Longbow as a favored weapon: free proficiency and Weapon Focus. Ruathar gets you a free +1 Strength adjusted longbow.

Pump up your Cha, and take the Charming the Arrow feat. Load up on Divine Metamgic. As long as you concentrate on buffs, summons etc. you don't need to pump your Wis.

Zombulian
2017-07-29, 05:09 PM
I've heard there's an Island with lots of Mists. One should look for it, Seek it, if you will.

Complete Divine p. 61 would be a good place to start.

Knight of the Raven from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft would be good for this. It loses a caster level at level 1, and in exchange it gets full BAB, and a bunch of other stuff.

Both of these are great. Seeker isn't great if you don't wanna be an elf/half elf. Knight of the Raven is a personal favorite of mine, plus you get a Raven companion with neat maneuvers to make up for its crappy ability scores!

Thurbane
2017-07-29, 05:13 PM
Both of these are great. Seeker isn't great if you don't wanna be an elf/half elf. Knight of the Raven is a personal favorite of mine, plus you get a Raven companion with neat maneuvers to make up for its crappy ability scores!

The good thing about the Raven Harrier is that even if it's killed, you can summon a new one next day without penalty.

KoTR is a great PrC. Can be a bit painful if you need to fulfill the fluff entry reqs, though (location specific). In my own Greyhawk-based campaign I re-fluffed it as being related to Phaulkon (deity of Birds, Archery, Air, Wind and Clouds).

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-29, 07:51 PM
Bone Knight isn't a full BAB class.
Huh. Could have sworn... my bad.

Knight of the Raven looks beautiful, though. Dead-easy entry, 9/10 casting and full BAB, grants turning...

gooddragon1
2017-07-29, 07:54 PM
I guess I can add that to the pile of Homebrew stuff I'd like to make. Since I like making quasi support classes that do combat. You might not like what I make though so there's that.

Edit: not a prc tho, those are boring to me. Main class ftw baby. Probably gonna end up looking like another one of my classes though.

Thurbane
2017-07-29, 08:34 PM
I guess I can add that to the pile of Homebrew stuff I'd like to make. Since I like making quasi support classes that do combat. You might not like what I make though so there's that.

Edit: not a prc tho, those are boring to me. Main class ftw baby. Probably gonna end up looking like another one of my classes though.

I know you said base class, but you could home-brew a divine version of Pathfinder's Arcane Archer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-archer/). Unlike the 3.5 version, it still (partially) advances casting.

Zombulian
2017-07-29, 09:51 PM
Huh. Could have sworn... my bad.

Knight of the Raven looks beautiful, though. Dead-easy entry, 9/10 casting and full BAB, grants turning...

It's actually my favorite way to PrC out of Mystic Ranger. 4 levels of Ranger for the BAB prereq while also qualifying you for SotAO and gaining turning for Travel Devotion shenanigans. Plus you get a companion which you'd miss out on for being a Mystic.

gooddragon1
2017-07-29, 10:07 PM
I know you said base class, but you could home-brew a divine version of Pathfinder's Arcane Archer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-archer/). Unlike the 3.5 version, it still (partially) advances casting.

Actually, you're not too far off on the arcane archer part, here's some notes (very rough because I typed them into my phone):
Faith arrow 1d6,2d6,3d6. Multiply standard (means like decisive strike). Imbue arrow choose no damage (for healing) or replace damage (you'll see). Speed in haste (rounds per day)/teleport short, 20 ft extra ms, tumble anywhere w/no penalties capstone.

I just have to flesh it out. The key will be making it short because getting a DM to read a lot of pages of homebrew is difficult, but keeping it short is good. At least imo. I've already got a pretty good idea where I'm going with it.

Got it: Inspired Archer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?531915-Inspired-Archer-Base-Class-Divine-Archer&p=22246428#post22246428)