PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Any ideas about a two-player combo at level 4?

Corran
2017-07-28, 09:23 AM
- What the title says.
- Preferably melee oriented.
- Extra points if it's not a druid and a mounted combatant.
- UA allowed (but I'd rather avoid it; I am one of the two players).
- It's a small story (about 4 sessions) and we might not even hit level 5.
- Party will consist of six players total, so dont worry about this duo's versatility; the aim is just some sweet synergy between PC A and PC B.

As always, thanks in advance!

Maxilian
2017-07-28, 09:33 AM
Mystic 4
(Hexblade) Warlock 4

Mystic take the Mastery of Shadow and Light (letting you see through magical darkness) and it let you summon a shadow (that if someone is small can use as a mount)

Warlock let you use the combo of darkness + eldritch sight. (not like its going to affect in any negative way your group)

As the Warlock will only have 1 attack use any of the weapon based cantrips.

The rest, you decide.

Easy_Lee
2017-07-28, 09:57 AM
Fighter (Battle Master) with Sentinel
Fighter or UA Revised Ranger 1 / Rogue (any) with Shield Master and Expertise Athletics

The rogue shield master shoves targets prone, so all melee attackers have advantage. The fighter uses commanding strike to give the rogue extra opportunity attacks, which qualify for SA. If a foe tries to run away, the fighter will get a chance to freeze the opponent in place.

Fighter is best off with a greatsword, since he won't be able to use his bonus action on turns that he uses commanding strike. Fighter can take GWM if he wants since he'll have plenty of opportunities to use it against prone targets (advantage offsets - 5). Sentinel means plenty of reaction opportunities.

Rogue has plenty of uses for his bonus action, and should have something to do with it every round. With fighter using commanding strike, rogue should have plenty of reaction opportunities. Shield offsets the rogue's relative lack of defensive features at level 4.

This setup will yield a high number of total actions for both the rogue and the fighter. A level 4 rogue has the same SA dice as a level 3 rogue, so the multiclass won't hurt the rogue's damage.

Findulidas
2017-07-28, 10:23 AM
Paladin and rogue. Damage, skills, support and both can take some punishment. Swashbuckler is my favorite and vengeance is pretty solid as well. Ancients is probably better by lvl 7.

Zene
2017-07-28, 10:43 PM
Two wolf totem barbarians. Boring, but effective, and rarely seen.

A nature cleric with spike growth and thorn whip, and a warlock with repelling blast. Push and pull enemies through the thorns.

Two melee rogues with sentinel. At least one of then gets an off-turn SA each round.

Two melee clerics. One Blesses, one banes. Both lay the smack down. My personal faves are Nature, War, and Arcana, but if you want to maximize damage, go double War GWM half-elves with booming blade as their cantrip choice.

But really, the druid and friend with mounted combatant can't be beat. The trick is for the druid to have Sentinel, and for the druid to be a kobold or the rider to be a wolf totem barbarian (latter is better so summons get advantage too, but kobold druid frees up class choices for the rider --my fave is ancients paladin). If the enemy attacks the rider, druid gets a reaction attack with advantage via sentinel. If the enemy attacks the druid, rider uses mounted combatant to force an attack on the rider instead, and druid still gets a reaction attack with advantage via sentinel. It's really a lot of fun.

Finger6842
2017-07-29, 12:09 AM
3 EK Warrior, 1 Warlock
1 Life or Tempest Priest, 3 Lore Bard
Both Half Elf

The Shadowdove
2017-07-29, 01:41 AM
Life or tempest cleric. (It can damage, it can heal, it's tanky)

Dex based high elf EK ( tanky, can cast, can ranged weapon with Dex)

Together you have a lot of versatility.

Also, the Dex EK with a Str Cleric combo doesn't have any gear overlap.

The EK can stealth alright as well.

djreynolds
2017-07-29, 01:51 AM
Paladin and rogue. Damage, skills, support and both can take some punishment. Swashbuckler is my favorite and vengeance is pretty solid as well. Ancients is probably better by lvl 7.

Cops and robbers, I love it.

Human paladin and Halfling rogue, always at odds

Talionis
2017-07-29, 11:13 AM
Life Cleric for Warding Bond on melee Warlock using Armor of Agathys.

jaappleton
2017-07-29, 04:04 PM
Two Tempest Clerics

Just blow EVERYTHING up.

excommunicated
2017-07-29, 05:21 PM
Some combination of:
-Human Variant Bear Totem Barbarian 3, Fighter 1 with Protection fighting style, medium armor master and shield
-Human Variant BM Fighter 4, Goading strike and Heavy Armor Master, Sentinel, Defense style, Rapier and Shield.

Or, if you want to emphasise damage rather than defense, drop the shields for greatswords.

twomp01
2017-07-29, 05:29 PM
Druid with the Sentinel feat
+
Any melee class with the Mounted Combatant feat.
=
Druid Wildshaped mount + melee rider:
Use
Mounted Combatant to force an enemy to target the rider and use the Druid's Sentinel to retaliate. If the rider is a barbarian, you can soak loads of damage.

suplee215
2017-07-29, 05:38 PM
I say Wolf Barbarian and a Fighter or Paladin.

kingheff1
2017-07-29, 05:55 PM
Shadow monk and rogue assassin, working together as an ambush and scouting duo.
They could be fun with a competitive edge to their exploits, from two rival schools trying to outdo the other for the glory of their guilds.

The Cats
2017-07-29, 08:31 PM
Ranged battlemaster with alert for firsties in combat and a swashbuckler (or any subclass really) rogue.

Trip from range to enable sneak attack. (AFB so not sure if this next one works) If you get to 5th level, Trip with one attack then commander shout to give the second attack to the rogue for more sneak attack.

*shrug* It's something.

Jamesps
2017-07-30, 01:19 AM
I say Wolf Barbarian and a Fighter or Paladin.

2 Wolf barbarians would likely be better.

Citan
2017-07-30, 04:59 AM
- What the title says.
- Preferably melee oriented.
- Extra points if it's not a druid and a mounted combatant.
- UA allowed (but I'd rather avoid it; I am one of the two players).
- It's a small story (about 4 sessions) and we might not even hit level 5.
- Party will consist of six players total, so dont worry about this duo's versatility; the aim is just some sweet synergy between PC A and PC B.

As always, thanks in advance!
Land Druid with Spike Growth and Longstrider prepared.
Grappler Rogue.
Druid precasts Longstrider on Rogue, then casts Spike Growth.
Rogue proceeds to Grapple a creature then run around Spike Growth to get autodamage, using Cunning Action for extra movement.

I'm seriously not sure it's better than Druid and Rogue doing things separately, but I'm pretty sure it's fun and classy. ;)

Ranger and Open Hand Monk.
Ranger casts Ensnaring Strike and unleash an arrow. Provided it succeeds, Open Hand Monk has then a pretty good chance to put him prone as an added effect of Flurry of Blows (not sure how a DM would rule interaction with vines, but since it's not moving the creature horizontally, I would say it doesn't break the vines restraint either).

suplee215
2017-07-30, 07:03 AM
2 Wolf barbarians would likely be better.

possibly but although the OP didn't care about being one sided having a paladin or fighter to do things the barbarian can't can be useful.