PDA

View Full Version : What checks should be made for fishing?

CrackedChair
2017-07-28, 10:29 AM
So in a campaign setting, I decided to use free time to fish. But I am not too sure what checks to suggest to use it.

I already have the fishing tackle to do such a thing, but I am rather confused. Can someone help?

Laserlight
2017-07-28, 10:40 AM
So in a campaign setting, I decided to use free time to fish. But I am not too sure what checks to suggest to use it.

I already have the fishing tackle to do such a thing, but I am rather confused. Can someone help?

Why would you bother rolling? As a DM, I would say "You fish. You catch some fish. Roll initiative, a plesiosaur is attacking your boat."

PartyChef
2017-07-28, 10:54 AM
Survival, right? It's just like foraging or hunting but in water.

Joe the Rat
2017-07-28, 11:30 AM
Survival, right? It's just like foraging or hunting but in water.

It's exactly like hunting, but in water. Unless you're talking about anglers, then it's based more on Performance or Deception, depending on how big a fish story you want to tell.

Survival, or a tool proficiency (rod and tackle) or the like.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-07-28, 12:04 PM
It's definitely in the Survival wheelhouse. If you're doing it as a downtime activity though, there's a limit to what you can achieve. If you're selling the fish to make a living, maybe you could count it as 'practising a profession' that's only available to people proficient in Survival. If it's a contest to see who can catch the biggest, opposed Survival checks sounds fine. If it's just for fun, there's no need to roll at all, unless your DM wants to make a custom d100 table for 'things that can happen while fishing'...

Zorku
2017-07-28, 12:59 PM
If you're doing it for a living wouldn't you have various nets and traps? Having some trophy fish go for your bait and struggle with your line is cool if you're just trying to feed yourself or you're in a competition, but if people wanna eat fish then mostly you wanna get a whole school of smaller fish, or so I thought.

Mellack
2017-07-28, 02:59 PM
What was the point of the fishing in the game? If it was just a day or two of relaxation, say they fish, catch some dinner and move on. If it is for primary food, a survival check. If it is for living expenses, again I would just say they make a modest living as a fisherman, probably working on somebody elses boat as a mate, assuming they have survival proficiency. The only time I would require a check is if it is a matter of catch a fish or start starving.

Thrudd
2017-07-28, 03:14 PM
If they have fishing equipment or survival skill then don't make them roll anything, because it's something little children know how to do. Ask how long they spend fishing, and maybe roll a d4 for each person for every hour they spend fishing - that's how many fish they caught. A fish can be considered one meal for one person. Every time they fish, also roll a d100. If you get a 00, they've caught a monster! Make a table of a few fresh-water aquatic monsters, and another one of salt-water aquatic monsters and dangerous animals like a giant snake or a giant alligator, roll on the appropriate table to see what shows up and watch the fun!

Ninja_Prawn
2017-07-28, 03:18 PM
If you get a 00, they've caught a monster! Make a table of a few fresh-water aquatic monsters, and another one of salt-water aquatic monsters and dangerous animals like a giant snake or a giant alligator, roll on the appropriate table to see what shows up and watch the fun!

Or a pair of magic boots (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FishingForSole)? :smallwink:

GlenSmash!
2017-07-28, 03:19 PM
Is it time sensitive? Like if you don't pull a fish will the Kingdom's Princess die? If it is I guess survival. If not, no check is necessary.

Hrugner
2017-07-28, 03:28 PM
Mechanically speaking, it's just fluff for how you've provided food via survival or the outlander background. I wouldn't bother with a roll generally, but it would be survival if it somehow mattered. Fishing can be filed easily in the "not fun for most of the table" portion of the game and should probably be brushed past.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-07-28, 03:40 PM
Wis (Survival) to dig for worms.

Another Wis (Survival) to pick a good spot.

Vanilla Wis for patience.

Luck roll to see if something bites.

Vanilla Dex to land the fish.

Wis (Insight) when the fish tries some bull**** about granting you wishes to let it go. That don't fly! Like fishes!

Attack roll to punch the fish into submission.

Cha (Deception) to fast-talk the park ranger.

After you kill the park ranger and all the suddenly summoned park minions, another Wis (Survival) to determine if the fish is edible.

No roll to cook it, unless you're trying to impress the Grand Duke, in which case Wisdom (cooking tools)?

Wis (Perception) to determine where the Grand Duke and his entourage came from all of a sudden. Guess they like fish.

Wis (Medicine) to treat food poisoning, unless you'd rather let them die and take their stuff.

Clearly fishing is a hobby that requires a lot of wisdom.

Bohandas
2017-07-28, 07:58 PM
survival and/or an appropriate profession skill (does 5e still have those?) and possibly a seperate DM check to see if there's anything to catch in the first place

Gryndle
2017-07-28, 08:27 PM

CON save to not fall asleep.