PDA

View Full Version : Speculation What 5e Sourcebooks do you most want?

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-07-28, 01:11 PM
Whilst we all can agree that WoTC's current "two books a year" policy is graceful on the wallet, I'm pretty sure we can also agree that the lack of content can be kind of... grating. Unearthed Arcana tries, no denying that, but its success rate is... well, it's pretty swing and miss, let's be honest.

But we can always wish, and dream. So, like the title says, what sourcebooks for 5e do you most wish WotC would put out?

Me? Well...

Horizon Seeker's Guide: This would basically bring back Planescape and Spelljammer by putting the relevant details into one sourcebook. This would be a sourcebook for DMs who want to run "cosmic" campaigns, either metaphysical (planewalker) or literal (spelljammer). Add in rules for shaping your own cosmology and universe, notable locations from the Planes, and races from both setting - Gith, Bariaur, Rogue Modrons, Giff, Scro - and you've got a real hit package.

Well of Worlds: A complete guidebook to all of the big campaign settings of TSR. Throw in a basic summary, essential 5e mechanics (Inheritance rules for Birthright, Defiling rules/Defiler tradition for Dark Sun, etc) and the "greatest hits" races, and you'd have everything you need to officially update your setting to 5e.

Realm Shaper's Guide: A DM's sourcebook aimed at doing alternative forms of fantasy setting. Want to do an Oriental Adventures setting? A Weird Western? Sword & Sandals? Everything you need for the more unconventional D&D game.

Crown-Crushing Champions: Epic level characters are a D&D tradition. Basic had the Immortals rules, Advanced had... not sure, 3e had the Epic Level Handbook, 4e baked epic tier right into the core rules. It's time 5e got on the bandwagon.

Nentir Vale Gazetteer: A complete sourcebook for all lore relating to the "Nentir Vale/Points of Light" setting of 4e. Why is this its own thing? 1: It was actually supposed to come out for 4e, and was nearly ready to hit the printers, but they canceled it. 2: To circumvent all the grognards who'd refuse to buy Well of Worlds if it had Nentir Vale in it.

alchahest
2017-07-28, 01:16 PM
Eberron! that's all, really. I love just love Eberron.

Millstone85
2017-07-28, 01:20 PM
I really like all of your ideas, including how you titled them.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-07-28, 01:20 PM
I'd actually love a book on tactical large-scale combat a la Battlesystem alongside in depth base building, business running, and logistics with a bit of meat (but not TOO much, no need to overcomplicate things).

It doesn't always come up in games, but when it does I have to invent an entire gaming system to manage it because 5e is completely inept at these things at present. I'm not going to call it a flaw of the system, as it's certainly a niche. That's what I like best in my splats, though- something unique. Lots of lore and easily adaptable crunch is great, but my favorite books always introduce an entirely new way to play the game.

Millstone85
2017-07-28, 04:18 PM
Now, I think the one I want the most is Well of Worlds, and it could incorporate Horizon Seeker's Guide and Realm Shaper's Guide. Basically, what are the known campaign settings of D&D, notably the two larger-scale ones where you can travel between the others, and how to make your own settings.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-07-28, 04:37 PM
I really like all of your ideas, including how you titled them.
Why thank you! Although I'm honestly expecting the banhammer to come down any second now for that one sourcebook title.

Now, I think the one I want the most is Well of Worlds, and it could incorporate Horizon Seeker's Guide and Realm Shaper's Guide. Basically, what are the known campaign settings of D&D, notably the two larger-scale ones where you can travel between the others, and how to make your own settings.
Problem is, to blend those three together would require a freaking huge, and WoTC doesn't seem inclined to do boxsets the way that TSR did. In the end, probably easier and more profitable to sell them seperately.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-28, 04:48 PM
More player options and a new setting these i would love to see

Whit
2017-07-28, 04:53 PM
I want heroes and villains 5e 1 book
2 page per individual or up to 4 pages divided by GH FR EB DL
Picture, synops history allies enemies stats lvl magic items spells where they live.

Millstone85
2017-07-28, 05:04 PM
Why thank you! Although I'm honestly expecting the banhammer to come down any second now for that one sourcebook title.Ah, something went over my head.

Problem is, to blend those three together would require a freaking huge, and WoTC doesn't seem inclined to do boxsets the way that TSR did. In the end, probably easier and more profitable to sell them seperately.I was thinking:
1) Treat Planescape and Spelljammer like other settings.
2) Whenever possible, use settings as example of genres.

Okay, the second one probably isn't much of a solution.

TheUser
2017-07-28, 05:12 PM
"Revised PHB"

where they take a look at how badly some of their rulings and sub-classes panned out and they re-write or have explicit wording that trumps out bad rulings.

For instance
Assassin, 4E Monk and Beastmaster rewrites (omg Assassin's...what a mess)

Making the Surprised Condition last until the end of the first round instead of after the first turn that target takes in the first round (meaning you don't need to win initiative to use the assassin's ability).

Having Careful Spell be fully compatible with more than 3 spells on the sorcerer list...

etc. etc.

FaceofBo
2017-07-28, 07:36 PM
The class handbooks, The Complete Scoundrel, The Complete Arcane and the like. I liked the bonus options and the customization options they had. If not those, maybe the Book of Vile Darkness. I had some villains out of it in 3.5 and I've never had a better baddie.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-07-28, 08:33 PM
I really liked the races of.. series. I still go through those when I need ideas for a character background.

Smitty Wesson
2017-07-28, 10:07 PM
In the "spotlight a character from the setting" vein, I'd enjoy an "A'kin's Guide to the Planes" (or Shemeshka's, either/or). I dunno who you'd do for Eberron, in that case - "Mordain's Guide to Monsters"?

On the Eberron front - a sandbox-style Mounlands campaign book. Not a single ongoing narrative, just a ton of potential shorter missions into the area and a big batch of monsters, dungeon maps, and scenarios. Seems like an Eberron book that could also work great as a DM tool for people who aren't so into the setting.

Eberron and Dark Sun books, of course, but I think some kind of combined book may be on the way once Artificer and Mystic are worked out. Just give me finished versions of those classes and all of the races from those settings, and I'm good.

Susano-wo
2017-07-28, 10:35 PM
Dark
Sun

Also a proper Ravenloft setting.

And I'll second the need for a good mass combat/large scale logistics and kingdom running book for when those come up. I would buy that yesterday.

Honorable mention: I would be interested in an Ebberon book. Never really checked that one out but it sounds fun.

Finger6842
2017-07-28, 11:31 PM
Most of the above. And in the revised PHB a massively expanded downtime section that includes lots of different tool uses.

A book of magic items and how different skills affect them, there are far too few distinct official items in the game.

A collection of modules converted from previous editions and gathered together in one box.

RedMage125
2017-07-28, 11:34 PM
More player options and a new setting these i would love to see
This.

The Xanathar's Guide should be nice for this.

Eberron! that's all, really. I love just love Eberron.
Also this.

Dark
Sun

Yes.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-28, 11:37 PM
Im not a picky drow snobby and well murderish yes.but picky no

JBPuffin
2017-07-28, 11:55 PM
I think the optional epic rules in the DMG are probably all that's going to come out in that regard for a while...

As for official material? Stuff like Pathfinder's Advanced Race/Class Guides - we know you like to make stuff, WotC, but we do, too, and knowing some of the thought process behind how you decided dragonborn and half-elf were roughly on-par would be really, really helpful for my aching brain.

RedMage125
2017-07-29, 01:42 AM
I think the optional epic rules in the DMG are probably all that's going to come out in that regard for a while...

As for official material? Stuff like Pathfinder's Advanced Race/Class Guides - we know you like to make stuff, WotC, but we do, too, and knowing some of the thought process behind how you decided dragonborn and half-elf were roughly on-par would be really, really helpful for my aching brain.

DM's Guild dot com has made an e-book 5e Epic level book for levels 21-30.

JBPuffin
2017-07-29, 02:41 AM
DM's Guild dot com has made an e-book 5e Epic level book for levels 21-30.

DMs Guild /= WotC. I had no doubt people were designing their own solutions, but one coming from the publishers of the game itself is probably a long time coming/a pipedream

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-07-29, 03:50 AM

Oh, yeah, gods, I honestly worry that if I can actually see WoTC's logic about how the various races in 5e are supposedly all balanced, my own mind would melt from the sheer convolutedness of it.

JBPuffin
2017-07-29, 04:27 PM
Oh, yeah, gods, I honestly worry that if I can actually see WoTC's logic about how the various races in 5e are supposedly all balanced, my own mind would melt from the sheer convolutedness of it.

Luckily, my mind is already on the atypical side (Asperger's and a lot of intentional cloudcuckoolanding), so I'll probably be immune to the psychic damage...making the Wis save to resist storming their offices with barbed questions may be more difficult :smallsigh:.

Honestly, in play I rarely see a difference between low and high power, class or race; my first 5e campaign involved a plethora of divine spellcasters (and a rogue) contributing humor and utility while an arcanist (switched from wizard to sorcerer at one point), TWF champion and max-op archer ranger did most of the damage. It ended up being the worst example I've had of players (myself, the party druid, and my father, the aforementioned arcanist) feeling like they weren't contributing, but almost everyone was a human so race didn't factor in much, and we eventually realized we were acting really childish and actively making the game less enjoyable for ourselves by fixating on the numbers (or, at least, I did >.>). Dragonborn characters in the games I've participated in actually do incredibly well, whether it's a dragonborn monk (you read that right) who consistently cleaned up encounters to a dragonborn tempest cleric who's at least as deadly as the fighter on most occasions, and their breath weapons actually do a lot more than I expect them to. It's really a testament to the differences between paper and play.

That hasn't stopped my current DM and I from deciding to bump our DB cleric's breath weapon to 3d6 base, though :smallbiggrin:.

Steampunkette
2017-07-29, 05:09 PM
Dark Sun, because Obviously.

I'd also like to see Eberron and Ravenloft.

Planescape and Spelljammer are also high on the list.

I'd be delighted to see a series of "Complete" books for the different character classes, with a bunch of subclasses, new spells, new magic items, new feats, and things of that nature.

I'd also like to see a "PHB2" type book with Psionic classes in it alongside a few other choice classes to more fully embody different archetypes that the current classes handle poorly, if at all. Like a "Nature Caster" that doesn't rely on Wild Shape, or a Divine Caster that doesn't run around in plate armor. And, of course, a skill user who isn't bound to Sneak Attacking because dang it that's a severely limiting mechanic for concepts... Gimme Inquisitives and Investigators, Priests and Shaman.

More Monster Manuals. Call them whatever you like, but gimme more classic monsters updated to the system and some new monsters, too.

Susano-wo
2017-07-29, 07:21 PM
I'd also like to see a "PHB2" type book with Psionic classes in it alongside a few other choice classes to more fully embody different archetypes that the current classes handle poorly, if at all. Like a "Nature Caster" that doesn't rely on Wild Shape, or a Divine Caster that doesn't run around in plate armor. And, of course, a skill user who isn't bound to Sneak Attacking because dang it that's a severely limiting mechanic for concepts... Gimme Inquisitives and Investigators, Priests and Shaman.

More Monster Manuals. Call them whatever you like, but gimme more classic monsters updated to the system and some new monsters, too.

Yeah, all that sounds fantastic. I know they are being more cautious with their release schedule but it would be nice to see a bit more gameplay and setting content

Blue Duke
2017-07-29, 08:58 PM
Horizon Seeker's Guide: This would basically bring back Planescape and Spelljammer by putting the relevant details into one sourcebook. This would be a sourcebook for DMs who want to run "cosmic" campaigns, either metaphysical (planewalker) or literal (spelljammer). Add in rules for shaping your own cosmology and universe, notable locations from the Planes, and races from both setting - Gith, Bariaur, Rogue Modrons, Giff, Scro - and you've got a real hit package.

Well of Worlds: A complete guidebook to all of the big campaign settings of TSR. Throw in a basic summary, essential 5e mechanics (Inheritance rules for Birthright, Defiling rules/Defiler tradition for Dark Sun, etc) and the "greatest hits" races, and you'd have everything you need to officially update your setting to 5e.

Realm Shaper's Guide: A DM's sourcebook aimed at doing alternative forms of fantasy setting. Want to do an Oriental Adventures setting? A Weird Western? Sword & Sandals? Everything you need for the more unconventional D&D game.

Crown-Crushing Champions: Epic level characters are a D&D tradition. Basic had the Immortals rules, Advanced had... not sure, 3e had the Epic Level Handbook, 4e baked epic tier right into the core rules. It's time 5e got on the bandwagon.

Nentir Vale Gazetteer: A complete sourcebook for all lore relating to the "Nentir Vale/Points of Light" setting of 4e. Why is this its own thing? 1: It was actually supposed to come out for 4e, and was nearly ready to hit the printers, but they canceled it. 2: To circumvent all the grognards who'd refuse to buy Well of Worlds if it had Nentir Vale in it.

yes to Well of Worlds, yes to the realm shapers guide.....i've never gotten above level 10 in a D20 Game so crown-crushing wouldn't do me any good, nentir could be interesting as i never really read anything about 4E....i'd kill for spelljammer stuff but anything with dark sun or ravenloft can go take a flying leap (personal opinion i just don't find either of those general settings fun) lest my DM's find them and try and force me to play them because they have a quest to try and make me see that things like that are fun.

Susano-wo
2017-07-29, 09:47 PM
yes to Well of Worlds, yes to the realm shapers guide.....i've never gotten above level 10 in a D20 Game so crown-crushing wouldn't do me any good, nentir could be interesting as i never really read anything about 4E....i'd kill for spelljammer stuff but anything with dark sun or ravenloft can go take a flying leap (personal opinion i just don't find either of those general settings fun) lest my DM's find them and try and force me to play them because they have a quest to try and make me see that things like that are fun.

WHat if we get them to put in the rules that your DM friends are lot allowed to use those books :smallyuk:

I'd go for spelljammer. I used to roll my eyes at it, but I'm at a point in my life I can appreciate it, I think. Even safari hippo-people

Ninja-Radish
2017-07-30, 02:30 AM
Speaking only for myself, I would like to see a book with new classes. I can't find a single class I actually enjoy playing in 5E, mostly because they're all too cookie cutter, simplistic and restrictive for my tastes, offering little to no customization.

For that reason, I've been the DM in my group since we started 5E. It would be nice to see a class that appeals to people like me, who enjoy mechanical options and customization. I want more meat on the bones than 5E has offered so far.

thorr-kan
2017-07-30, 10:15 AM
2ED had:
DM's Options: High Level Campaigns
Dark Sun
expanded rules in FR supplements

Sir cryosin
2017-07-30, 10:55 AM
We don't need setting books you want Ebaron go out and buy Ebaron books then create your campaign in Ebaron.

Now I would like to see campaign books in Ebaron, Dark Sun, etc, etc. Or a large book that say here is a race from x setting this is it stats and a brief description then a few pages of other monsters races in x setting then going to. Setting A and in setting A there is this race and monster here there stats and brief description.

Sir cryosin
2017-07-30, 11:02 AM
Wotc hasn't published any campaign setting Source books for 5th edition. And before anybody points fingers to sword Coast Adventures guide the was produced by Green Ronin.

alchahest
2017-07-30, 11:12 AM
so, what source book do you want then?

2D8HP
2017-07-30, 11:29 AM

..the most.

The 4e "standard" setting intrigues me, it was never published, and I just don't know those years of D&D that well.

But if it's the same small type as the SCAG I'll be really annoyed.

Otherwise... Nehwon, Lankhmar, the Young Kingdoms, Melniboné, Castle Zagyg and Blackmoor.

Baldarak
2017-09-06, 06:28 AM
Planescape setting updated. From there we can talk about EB etc.

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2017-09-06, 07:27 AM
I'd actually love a book on tactical large-scale combat a la Battlesystem alongside in depth base building, business running, and logistics with a bit of meat (but not TOO much, no need to overcomplicate things).

It doesn't always come up in games, but when it does I have to invent an entire gaming system to manage it because 5e is completely inept at these things at present. I'm not going to call it a flaw of the system, as it's certainly a niche. That's what I like best in my splats, though- something unique. Lots of lore and easily adaptable crunch is great, but my favorite books always introduce an entirely new way to play the game.

Stronghold Builders Guide.

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-06, 09:31 AM
Speaking only for myself, I would like to see a book with new classes. I can't find a single class I actually enjoy playing in 5E, mostly because they're all too cookie cutter, simplistic and restrictive for my tastes, offering little to no customization. Really? There's plenty of variety. Please look up "bounded accuracy" and the wise decision to not try the Prestige Class thing again.

As for books, I'd like to see an official release of Dark Sun.
Planescape? Sure, why not.
The well of world's idea isn't a bad one, let's see if they do it.

I don't know if D&D is the right vehicle for this, but I'd love to see a classless PC kit. Might be too hard with the way the system is currently built.

Rogerdodger557
2017-09-06, 09:45 AM
I'd be delighted to see a series of "Complete" books for the different character classes, with a bunch of subclasses, new spells, new magic items, new feats, and things of that nature.

The Rogue Inquisitor is getting released in XGtE, and the UA Artificer class is a skill user, who if you want to be combat oriented, be the Gunsmith, or if you want to be more of a support, the Alchemist. There is the Oath of Redemption Paladin that might be in XGtE for the divine caster not wearing plate, but I can't help you with shamans unfortunately.

Ravinsild
2017-09-06, 09:49 AM

I want the above book and Heroes of Shadow from 4e but in 5e officially. A group of friends and I, however, are doing our own homebrew of the book right now.

mer.c
2017-09-06, 12:50 PM
Boy, those OP suggestions are inspired! Nice work! :smallsmile:

I don't expect to get much from WotC in terms of plane-specific adventure-building materials, but I can definitely see something like Well of Worlds and Realm-Shaper's Guide. I'd pick those up in a heartbeat! Along those lines, I'd love to see something that helped with setting adventures in different time periods of the established realms. I don't know how popular that would be though; just something I think would be neat.

I can see rolling out a revised PHB being a logistical and PR nightmare for WotC. I know they've erratad some things from it, but I don't think they'd have the stomach for making their playerbase (not just the DMs, but pretty much everyone) feel like they need to burn their old PHB and shell out for a new one.

That said, it would be awesome if they released a tome of errata with the changes. This could of course be accompanied by printing an updated version of the PHB for new players or completionists . The errata book could be cheaper and smaller than the PHB since it would be mostly corrections and additions without the stuff that went unchanged. (Of course, you'd want to retread some ground, like the Ranger if they overhaul it with things like making Extra Attack a kit feature instead of baseline.) It would also likely skirt the PHB+1 restriction which I know is so popular around these forums. ;)

Waterdeep Merch
2017-09-06, 01:30 PM
Stronghold Builders Guide.
Yes, exactly like that! I don't need it to necessarily be that in depth, but more tools for my players that are up to date with 5e's system would be great.

Willie the Duck
2017-09-06, 01:42 PM

I actually wouldn't mind quite a bit of meat, as long as it was all optional and modular (and if that is too much to ask, then yes keep it Spartan). But also perhaps rules for buildings (so yeah, a Stronghold Builder's guide), and for running a fiefdom, etc. I know, complex rules for the 'Name-level game' died after Companion basic set and lots of people never play that way... but if it's optional, why cede that audience to TSR editions (or ACKS)?

ZorroGames
2017-09-07, 11:54 AM
Something set in India.

Something set in Ancient Egypt.

Something set in Persia and around that bit of geography.

Something set in Southeast/East Asia.

Something set in Africa.

Yes, I was a Cartographer for many years. So much potential once you get out of the North/West pieces of Europe.

UrielAwakened
2017-09-07, 03:19 PM
Epic levels are going to be a necessity for my rotating DM group at some point.

Epic levels would actually do a lot to fix what I dislike about the ridiculously low power ceiling on 5e.

Nettlekid
2017-09-07, 03:34 PM
This is unlikely given the direction 5e has taken with it, but I'd love a Magic Item Compendium. Sure, 5e expects magic loot to be highly restricted and up to DM fiat, but that doesn't mean that more options would be a bad thing. Items that have weird, quirky abilities rather than bland numerical abilities like +X to attacks/DC or Resistance to Y. My mind wanders to the The Adventure Zone podcast where they got sent in fanmade magic items, and the best ones are ones which just do something bizarre. Having more options for peculiar items means that DMs can sprinkle more battle loot around, spice up encounters with monsters/NPCs who use the items against the PCs in specifically designed scenarios that make those niche items useful, and give out prizes that make the PCs feel snazzy and special without risking unbalancing the game due to pumped up numbers.

I also second the various Races of X books from 3.5, I really loved those for the fluff. Maybe also a darker villain-oriented book in the vein of Heroes of Horror/Exemplars of Evil mixed with Elder Evils, giving the DM a few loosely outlined worldending threats to make an overarching element of a campaign world while also giving some options for adventurers who don't want to be on the straight-and-narrow all the time.

Ninja-Radish
2017-09-07, 08:21 PM
Really? There's plenty of variety. Please look up "bounded accuracy" and the wise decision to not try the Prestige Class thing again.

As for books, I'd like to see an official release of Dark Sun.
Planescape? Sure, why not.
The well of world's idea isn't a bad one, let's see if they do it.

I don't know if D&D is the right vehicle for this, but I'd love to see a classless PC kit. Might be too hard with the way the system is currently built.

I didn't mention Prestige Classes at all in that post you referenced. I want new base classes, not subclasses or prestige classes. I find most of the base classes to be dull, generic fantasy tropes. And the ones that aren't overused and unimaginative (Warlock, Sorcerer) are horribly designed and terrible to play.

However, I quite like your "classless PC toolkit" idea!

Kane0
2017-09-07, 09:23 PM
An original setting.

Not more Well Documented Forgotten Realms.
Not going back and dusting off the good old 2e ones.
Something new and fresh and interesting.

As far as a mechanics book is concerned, anything that spotlights the Exploration and Interation pillars that so far appear to have been largely neglected.
I would have said a PHB II, but we're getting Xanathar's and there's also already so much good homebrew available that it's just not the best potential use of resources.

eastmabl
2017-09-07, 10:06 PM
..the most.

The 4e "standard" setting intrigues me, it was never published, and I just don't know those years of D&D that well.

But if it's the same small type as the SCAG I'll be really annoyed.

Otherwise... Nehwon, Lankhmar, the Young Kingdoms, Melniboné, Castle Zagyg and Blackmoor.

I was one of the people who rejected 4E at the outset. When 5E came in, I started buying a lot of the 4E books on the advice of a friend.

There's a lot of really good story in 4E that I would like to see in the Nentir Vale.

As for your other requests, those rights aren't held by WOTC. Something tells me that a 3PP will need to swoop in and license (a la LOTR 5E).

ZorroGames
2017-09-08, 10:21 AM
Will start a new thread about new classes desired.