PDA

View Full Version : Familiar delivering touch spells / good touch spells?

Mojake
2017-07-28, 01:12 PM
I'm starting as a Wizard in a new campaign and my familiar can deliver touch spells for me. Looking at the Wizard spell list, the only offensive ones seem to be Shocking Grasp and Bestow Curse. What other good spell uses can I have my familiar deliver Touch spells for?

Thanks.

Vogonjeltz
2017-07-28, 06:25 PM
I'm starting as a Wizard in a new campaign and my familiar can deliver touch spells for me. Looking at the Wizard spell list, the only offensive ones seem to be Shocking Grasp and Bestow Curse. What other good spell uses can I have my familiar deliver Touch spells for?

Thanks.

Arcane Lock, Bestow Curse, Clone, Continual Flame, Darkvision, Drawmij's Instant Summons, Feign Death, Fly, Foresight, Gaseous Form, Gentle Repose, Glyph of Warding, Greater Invisibility, Guards and Wards, Identify, Illusory Script, Invisibility, Jump, Leomund's Secret Chest, Light, Longstrider, Mage Armor, Magic Weapon, Mending, Mind Blank, Nondetection, Nystul's Magic Aura, Plane Shift, Protection from Energy, Protection from Evil and Good, Remove Curse, Rope Trick, Sequester, Shocking Grasp, Simulacrum, Spider Climb, Stone Shape, Stoneskin, Symbol, Tongues, True Seeing.

Fun fact, this can be used with Plane Shift to transport a bunch of willing people with your familiar, without you actually going...because it's cast as if the familiar had cast the spell. So you could totally have an eccentric Wizard who sends the group somewhere using his expendable familiar.

Christian
2017-07-29, 12:12 AM
A scouting familiar can cast Light while you and your party are 100' away, outside of typical darkvision range. In pitch blackness, this gives you at least one round of ranged attacks with no effective retaliation possible.

JBPuffin
2017-07-29, 12:39 AM
Fun fact! A Bard with Cure Wounds and Find Familiar can use the familiar to heal his/her allies at range w/out Healing Word (although that one also has its place). Just learned this trying to figure out if I could use Sword Burst on a familiar in an attempt to simulate Orianna from League of Legends...

poolio
2017-08-01, 03:21 AM
Fun fact! A Bard with Cure Wounds and Find Familiar can use the familiar to heal his/her allies at range w/out Healing Word (although that one also has its place). Just learned this trying to figure out if I could use Sword Burst on a familiar in an attempt to simulate Orianna from League of Legends...

I currently have a war cleric with the magic initate feat for the familiar, the ranged cure wounds has proven an effective use for it

Joe the Rat
2017-08-01, 07:14 AM
Da List
That pretty well covers it.

Note that Vampiric Touch does not work by the rules (range self).

I currently have a war cleric with the magic initate feat for the familiar, the ranged cure wounds has proven an effective use for it

Now I'm contemplating a Trickery Cleric with Find Familiar.

Harrysonford
2017-08-03, 12:38 PM
I would keep shocking grasp, if a creature is knocked prone, you have disadvantage with ranged attacks, but advantage with meele attacks. But I wouldn't personally use my familiar in combat too much. They're very good for utility, and it takes a while to get a new one, so keep that in mind.

Beechgnome
2017-08-03, 04:44 PM
If you go Theurge (UA) or take a level in Cleric or get it via Magic Initiate, Inflict wounds can deliver a heaping helping of pain and it scales well.

Some Cleric or Theurge can also let you boost your familiar's survivability via Aid, Enhance Ability and/or Warding Bond. (Actually, you can have all three since only EA is concentration).