PDA

View Full Version : Ideas about a feat about spell scrolls.

Sir cryosin
2017-07-28, 01:33 PM
So in are group I'm playing a sorcerer and we have a lot of spell scrolls but a few of them I can't use the party is a fighter, mystic, cleric, me sorcerer. So I was thinking of asking my DM if I can spend one of my asi on a feat the let me use spell scrolls from any class.

So I was thinking the feat gives a +1 to int, wis, chr then the ability to use any spell scroll.

What do ya'll think? Anything to add to this ideal?

Joe the Rat
2017-07-28, 01:42 PM
I'd model it more towards Ritual Caster: Allows user to cast spell scrolls from a specific class spell list. You can automatically cast spells of 1/2 your characer level (round down), and casting over is uses standard rules (Arcana check or spell ability check?), or cannot be done. That might be too restrictive given the single-use nature of scrolls, however.

nickl_2000
2017-07-28, 01:55 PM
How powerful and non-powerful this would be would be completely dependent on the campaign that you are in. I had a campaign that a DM would absolutely allow it since it there was not a single scroll given away.

I would say it would be more balanced if you either
1) Can cast all scrolls at half your level rounded down, but get no ASI
2) Can cast all scroll from a class and you get an ASI based on the ability that they cast spells with.

But I still don't know how balanced it would be overall.

Emay Ecks
2017-07-28, 02:01 PM
It seems a little weak to me, because it is very dependent on having difficult to obtain items (although you might be in a campaign setting where scrolls are easy to obtain).

Because it is an incredibly niche feat, I might add: You have advantage on rolls to cast spell scrolls above your casting level.