PDA

View Full Version : Large health pool

Dubthaigh
2017-07-28, 02:54 PM
I am wanting to make sure I did the math right here. I have been interested in playing an immortal mystic, an overweight fire genasi who loves food with a bottomless pit for both food as well as hit points and takes it as a personal challenge to see how big a hit he can take.
As I was doing numbers I began to be a amazed at the wealth of HP the immortal gets later on. I decided to see what the total would be if a hill dwarf barbarian and hill dwarf immortal roll perfectly each level and allocated stat points and toughness to get max hp. Both started with 17 in con after the standard 15, 14, 13 ... etc start. This is not something I would do in game, as I waited for level 19 for tough feat to maximize and what not, it also factors in no items.

I also want to make sure that I am interpreting the rules correctly that when the immortal levels up a mystic level they would get the number of hp equal to their mystic level, example level 18 mystic would get extra 18 hp on top of his rolled d8 and modifier.

TL;DR: maximum possible HP with perfect rolls
Hill dwarf barbarian: 352
Hill dwarf immortal mystic: 520(525 if the mystic goes before the enemy in initiative)

Clearly not a realistic value but looking at a more realistic value for an immortal mystic taking the standard 5 points when leveling up can easily end at 425 or more. That combined with the resistance to almost all physical damage and immune to poison and disease, the ability to impose disadvantage with intellect fortresses, the mystic immortal can be quite the tank at level 20

EdenIndustries
2017-07-28, 03:32 PM
This is not something I would do in game, as I waited for level 19 for tough feat to maximize and what not.
It doesn't matter when you take the Tough feat, it always provides the same HP boost at a given level.

I also want to make sure that I am interpreting the rules correctly that when the immortal levels up a mystic level they would get the number of hp equal to their mystic level, example level 18 mystic would get extra 18 hp on top of his rolled d8 and modifier.

I'm 99% sure that's not how it works. I interpret it to work the same way as, for example, Draconic Resilence for the Dragon Sorcerer though I grant you they're worded differently (and if they're supposed to operate the same way, they really should have consistent language).

Dubthaigh
2017-07-28, 03:45 PM
"Tough

Your hit point maximum increases by an amount equal to twice your level when you gain this feat. Whenever you gain a level thereafter, your hit point maximum increases by an additional 2 hit points."

I interpret his as you would get 24 hp at level 12 vs 38 points at 19. Am I viewing this wrongly?

Yeah I can see how it could be like draconic resilience. The wording states:

Immortal Durability
Starting at 1st level, your hit point maximum increases by 1 per mystic level.
In addition, while you aren’t wearing armor or wielding a shield, your base AC equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier.

Definitely changes the total health potential. It would be good to know if it is "by 1 every mystic level" just like the draconic resilience or is it "by 1 for each mystic level."

EdenIndustries
2017-07-28, 03:48 PM
"Tough

Your hit point maximum increases by an amount equal to twice your level when you gain this feat. Whenever you gain a level thereafter, your hit point maximum increases by an additional 2 hit points."

I interpret his as you would get 24 hp at level 12 vs 38 points at 19. Am I viewing this wrongly?

That'a accurate, but you're missing the 2nd part, "Whenever you gain a level thereafter, your hit point maximum increases by an additional 2 hit points." Meaning if you take it at level 12 you get 24 hp, and then by the time you get to level 19 (7 levels later) you'd gain an additional 7*2=14 HP for a total of 38, exactly the same as if you took the feat at level 19.

clash
2017-07-28, 03:55 PM
Immortal mystic at each level gains 1 additional hp on top of his rolled d8 + con modifier

Brawnspear
2017-07-28, 03:55 PM
Toughness gives an extra 2 hp per level
Immortal Durability give an extra 1 hp per level.
Total of +3 hp per level or +60 hp at level 20
If hill dwarf that's another +1 per level for +4 per level or +80 at level 20
Add to that 20 levels of maxed mystic 8*20 = 160
Add to that a max con modifier 5*20= 100
Total of 340 HP.

Base barbarian with maxed con and the 20th level capstone of +4 Str and Con
12*20=240
7*20=140
Total of 380 HP
Add on the hill dwarf and toughness for another +60 hp and you have 440 hitpoints at max level.

Dubthaigh
2017-07-28, 04:03 PM
Thanks folks

FreddyNoNose
2017-07-28, 04:12 PM
I have a magic tome in my game that allows hit dice rerolls and if a given level reroll is higher, they can keep it.