PDA

View Full Version : My first D&D5e character, please rate

grumbaki
2017-07-28, 03:09 PM
Background:

Starting a campaign. Everyone starts at lvl4 with one 'minor magic item' that the GM must approve upon. Mine already has been approved. We don't know the exact starting gold, but it will be enough for basic items, though no magic items besides what the GM has already allowed.

Please see the character below. Was looking to make a character that can...

(1) Tank
(2) Heal the party
(3) Potentially reach out and blow people up (or summon a floating hammer and use that to hit squishy enemies in the face)

Thus, I made a hill dwarf tempest cleric. Did I make him right, and are there any changes worth making?

Thank you!

--------------------------------------------

Str (14) Dex (10) Con (16) Int (10) Wis (18) Cha (8) HP (39) Initiative (0) AC (20)
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma (saves on left)

Combat
To Hit: +2 (Proficiency) + 2 (Strength) = +4
Damage: 1d8+2
Spiritual Weapon: 1d8+3

Hill Dwarf
- Speed (25ft)
- Darkvision: Accustomed to life underground, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Dwarven Resilience: You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
- Dwarven Combat Training: You have proficiency with the battleaxe, handaxe, light hammer, and warhammer.
- Tool Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the artisan’s tools of your choice: mason’s tools.
- Stonecunning: Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.
- +2 Con, +1 Wis, +1 max HP per level

Equipment
* Warhammer (1d8)
* Shield (+2 AC, holy symbol)
* Fullplate with Rune of Travel (AC18)
- Rune of Travel (Like eldrich knight weapon bond, only for armor. Can be summoned (and donned) or taken off with a bonus action from anywhere on same plane of existence)

Skills
* Religion-Class: INT (+2)
* History-Background: INT (+2/+4 stonework)
* Persuasion-Class: CHA (+1)
* Perception-Background: WIS (+5)

Tool Proficiencies
* Stone Masonry
* Smithing

Background

CLAN CRAFTER: The Stout Folk are well known for their artisanship and the worth of their handiwork, and you have been trained in that ancient tradition. For years you labored under a dwarf master of the craft, enduring long hours. and dismissive, sour-tempered treatment in order to gain the fine skills you possess today. You are most likely a dwarf, but not necessarily- particularly in the North, the shield dwarf clans learned long ago that only proud fools who are more concerned for their egos than their craft turn away promising apprentices, even those of other races. If you aren't a dwarf, however, you have taken a solemn oath never to take on an apprentice in the craft: it is not for non-dwarves to pass on the skills of Moradin's favored children. You would have no difficulty, however, finding a dwarf master who was willing to receive potential apprentices who came with your recommendation.

Skill Proficiencies: Perception, Insight

Tool Proficiencies: One type of artisan's tools (Smithing)

Languages: Dwarvish or one other of your choice if you already speak Dwarvish (Undercommon)

Equipment: A set of artisan's tools with which you are proficient, a maker's mark chisel used to mark your handiwork with the symbol of the clan of crafters you learned your skill from, a set of traveler's clothes, and a pouch containing 5 gp and a gem worth 10 gp

FEATURE, RESPECT OF THE STOUT FOLK: As well respected as clan crafters are among outsiders, no one esteems them quite so highly as dwarves do. You always have free room and board in any place where shield dwarves or gold dwarves dwell, and the individuals in such a settlement might vie among themselves to determine who can offer you (and possibly your compatriots) the finest accommodations and assistance

Spells

Spell save DC= 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier
Spell attack modifier= your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Cantrips
* Guidance (You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to one ability check of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the ability check. The spell then ends.)
* Sacred Flame (60 ft Flame-like radiance descends on a creature that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage. The target gains no benefit from cover for this saving throw. The spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).)
* Thaumaturgy (open/shut doors. speak with a loud voice. make eyes glow.)
* Mend (1 minute casting time, This spell repairs a single break or tear in an object you touch, such as a broken chain link, two halves of a broken key, a torn cloak, or a leaking wineskin. As long as the break or tear is no larger than 1 foot in any dimension, you mend it. leaving no trace of the former damage. This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can’t restore magic to such an object.)

Lvl 1 Spells 4 per day
* Bless (concentration, Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute You bless up to three creatures of your choice within range. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st.)
* Healing Word (60ft, Bonus action, A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs. Can cast at 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st)
* Cure Wounds (A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs. At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 1st. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by a 1d8 for each slot level above first.)

Lvl 1 Domain
* Fog Cloud (120ft You create a 20-foot-radius sphere of fog centered on a point within range. The sphere spreads around corners, and its area is heavily obscured, It lasts for the duration or until a wind of moderate or greater speed (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses it.)
* Thunderwave (A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from you. Each creature in a 15-foot cube originating from you must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed. In addition, unsecured objects that are completely within the area of effect are automatically pushed 10 feet away from you by the spell’s effect, and the spell emits a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet.)

Lvl 2 Spells 3 spell slots
* Hold person (60ft, Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute Choose a humanoid that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be paralyzed for the duration. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. On a success, the spell ends on the target.)
* Prayer of healing (60ft, 10 min cast, Up to six creatures of your choice that you can see within range each regain hit points equal to 2d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.)
* Lessor Restoration
* Spiritual Weapon (Casting Time: 1 bonus action, 60ft, Duration: 1 minute You create a floating, spectral weapon within range that lasts for the duration or until you cast this spell again. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 force damage + your spellcasting ability modifier. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it. The weapon can take whatever form you choose. Clerics of deities who are associated with a particular weapon (as St. Cuthbert is known for his mace and Thor for his hammer) make this spell’s effect resemble that weapon. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for every two slot levels above the 2nd.)

Lvl 2 Domain
* Gust of Wind (60ft line, Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute A line of strong wind 60 feet long and 10 feet wide blasts from you in a direction you choose for the spell’s duration. Each creature that starts its turn in the line must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be pushed 15 feet away from you in a direction following the line. Any creature in the line must spend 2 feet of movement for every 1 foot it moves when moving closer to you. The gust disperses gas or vapor, and it extinguishes candles, torches, and similar unprotected flames in the area. It causes protected flames, such as those of lanterns, to dance wildly and has a 50 percent chance to extinguish them. As a bonus action on each of your turns before the spell ends, you can change the direction in which the line blasts from you.)
* Shatter (A sudden loud ringing noise, painfully intense, erupts from a point of your choice within range. Each creature in a 10-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a Constitution saving throw. A creature takes 3d8 thunder damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature made of inorganic material such as stone or metal has disadvantage on this saving throw. A nonmagical object that isn’t being worn or carried also takes the damage if it’s in the spell's area.)

Channel Divinity
* At 2nd level, you gain the ability to channel divine energy directly from your deity. You start with two such effects: Turn Undead, and and effect determined by your domain. Some domains grant you additional effects as you advance in levels.
* When you use your Channel Divinity, you choose which effect to create. You must finish a short or long rest to use your Channel Divinity again. Some Channel Divinity effect require saving throws. When you use such an effect granted by this class, the DC equals your cleric spell save DC.
* At 6th level, you may use this feature twice between rests, and thrice at 18th level. All uses recharge when you take a short or long rest.

Turn Undead
* As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer censuring the undead. Each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.
* A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can't willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. lt also can't take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there's nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

Tempest Domain
* Heavy Armor
* Wrath of Storm (Also at 1st level, you can thunderously rebuke attackers. When a creature within 5 feet of you that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to cause the creature to make a Dexterity saving throw. The creature takes 2d8 lightning or thunder damage (your choice) on a failed saving throw, and half as much damage on a successful one. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.)
* Channel Divinity Destructive Wrath (Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to wield the power of the storm with unchecked ferocity. When you roll lightning or thunder damage, you can use your Channel Divinity to deal maximum damage, instead of rolling.)

Bloodcloud
2017-07-28, 04:02 PM
Looks fine, but I'd prefer a higher str score personnaly. Might want to increase it at 8.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-28, 04:13 PM
It looks solid to me.

Dudu
2017-07-28, 05:29 PM
Yeah boy, tempest cleric. Top tier subclass.

Now, I played a tempest cleric before. In fact, I intended to play a dwarf tempest cleric as my first character, but DM used elite array and variant human was open, so I went with that instead.

Here's the thing about tempest cleric: everyone assume you are a hybrid melee caster and that your place is at the front, smacking with a thunderous hammer. You get heavy armor, martial weapons prof and divine strike, so it hints heavily at melee combat.
Now, it's not a bad idea to be melee at all, in fact, you will do a lot of tanking. It's just that some people might think you need to bump that Str up, and I say that this strenght is fine. Even if magic items (like, gauntlets of ogre power) are out of game. The hammer smacking is occasional and not your strongest point. You're doing it mostly at lvl 1-4 and then you will get better offensive options.

Your offense hails from other sources. Spiritual Weapon is wonderful use of your bonus action. Typical clerics use Spiritual Guardians, but you might be better using Call Lightning. As early as you reach lvl 3 you can cast Shatter, a spell that is mostly uninpressive for everyone, but you can maximize it for 24 thunder damage in an area. That's huge damage at lvl 3. Call Lightning is a per round ability that allows you to zap an area of 5ft radious for 3d10 damage, in tempestuous weather you can slap another 1d10, scales wonderfully and again, you can maximize it. Destruction Wave is a 5d6 thunder/5d6 radiant damage, or, with maximize, 30 thunder damage plus 5d6 or radiant in a big area and those who fail are proned. See what I'm saying?

I'm saying that a blasty tempest cleric is happier than a hammering one. Your melee capabilities aren't reaching that of a fighter, or a paladin, or a barbarian... But your blastiness is top notch. No, fire sorcerers and evokers don't consistently do more damage, they can slap a casting mod extra damage to some spells, but it's usually not as significant as maximizing. You can maximize your spells twice per short rest as early as lvl 6.

You can check this guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?374604-The-Devout-and-the-Dead-a-guide-to-Clerics) for a well built cleric. The build you presented looks solid, go for it.

Finger6842
2017-07-28, 06:10 PM
Str (14) Dex (10) Con (16) Int (10) Wis (18) Cha (8) HP (39) Initiative (0) AC (20)
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma (saves on left)

Numbers look solid to me.

* Fullplate with Rune of Travel (AC18)
- Rune of Travel (Like eldrich knight weapon bond, only for armor. Can be summoned (and donned) or taken off with a bonus action from anywhere on same plane of existence)

Very nice, you can effectively combat a Heat Metal spell when it's cast on you AND combat a jealous husband should you be caught er unprepared. Need to be benign as you are penetrating enemy lines, go in travelers clothes and summon your armor. cooling your heals in the hoosgow? Summon your armor (and of course the set of lockpicks hidden there). A solid homebrew item.

Skills
* Religion-Class: INT (+2)
* History-Background: INT (+2/+4 stonework)
* Persuasion-Class: CHA (+1)
* Perception-Background: WIS (+5)

Skills are clearly RP based rather than Optimized which is a good thing.

Your cantrips are fine, I personally would have taken Guidance, Sacred Flame, Resistance and Spare the Dying but you have the two that I consider best.

I'd say the character is well built.

grumbaki
2017-07-28, 06:18 PM
Finger6842,

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like the homebrew item I came up with. I consider it to be useful for all the reasons you pointed out. Also, because it lets him quickly armor himself if woken up at night by an ambush. A problem that Dex based characters don't have to worry about.

My first try for a custom magic item was an any mug from the goblins webcomic. A mug that can fill itself with any nonmagical liquid. I was going to use it just for endless amounts of alcohol. But in the end I think that the rune of travel is, strictly speaking, better.

As for skills, we decided to start this campaign to focus more on RPing and less on roleplaying. Our last campaign was pathfinder, and all we knew about each other's characters was what kinds of numbers we could pump out. How bad was it? One of the characters I only knew as "a warpriest" because she was never named. My character had all knowledge skills maxed out and never got to use any of them. I loved the campaign and enjoyed every second of it, but this one promises to be more character focused.

With the armor, I had to write background for it to explain why the character should have it. With the caveat that it had to have come from the party benefactor, 'the Prince' who is funding them to do expeditions into ruins and to guard the artifacts that are returned to him. Here is what I wrote:

Centuries years ago, the dwarves were a mightier people. Once, their cities spread across the mountains, with dwarven explorers founding mines and quarries in their search for ore and precious gems. Before the decline of their civilization, mighty runesmiths made their own hidden forges, creating many items of great power. Often made over ley lines, the power of the land itself was used to create their artifacts. Proud and jealous, their secrets would only be passed down to worthy apprentices. Much of their art was lost with runelords who died of old age, refusing to teach their secrets to the unworthy.

When the dwarven kingdoms declined, many of the smaller holds, mines and forges were lost to the encroaching darkness. Many a runesmith and runelord died stubbornly defending their lands. Their deaths meant not only that artifacts of power fell into the hands of orcish hordes (which in turn later became treasured heirlooms of the houses of men who subsequently earned them via their own conquest), but also meant the loss of irreplaceable knowledge.

Khar is a wandering runesmith, whose life work is to delve into ancient ruins in search of the lost lore of his people. It is his hope to not only recover lost relics, but to hopefully learn how to recreate the art of his ancestors.

He was attracted to the company of the prince because of a gift given to him. The lost runic tablets of Runelord Ghar Irontooth. A traveler by nature, the runelord created the rune of travel, which when placed on armor, allowed it to be donned or taken off instantly. A great boon for a dwarf on the road. When he set out on one of his adventures and never returned, it was feared that his knowledge was lost with him. His armor though, ended up in the Armory of the Prince. It was then 'gifted' to Khar, which in turn bought his undivided loyalty.

Khar continues to delve for the prince, protecting his search teams and ensuring that artifacts are returned safely. All he asks for is that dwarven relics be returned to their rightful owners, even if it means losing his share of the finds.

Dudu,

Thanks for the advice! Aye, the more I look at it the more I see being blasty as being the way to go. Shatter for 24 damage aoe does sound nasty, along with spiritual weapon to start finishing people off.

For my level plan, does this make sense?

Lvl 4: +2 Wis (18)

Lvl 8: +2 Wis (maxed at 20)

Lvl 12: Magical Initiate (Druid)
* Shillelagh (Cantrip, bonus action to cast. Makes a quartstaff or club into a 1d8 weapon using wisdom for attack and damage)
* Thunderclap (Cantrip, 5ft aoe burst, doing 2d6 thunder damage)
* Absorb Elements (once per long rest)

Lvl 16: +2 Con (18)

Lvl 19: +2 Con (maxed at 20)

Given that I think this will be a low magic campaign, and I doubt we will reach 20...the focus becomes on maxing Wisdom as soon as possible and blasting people from afar. But at lvl12, if someone does close in on me, for a bonus action I can cast shillelagh and attack, for +9 hit and 1d8+5 damage. That becomes like having Str(20) and Wis(20) for combat purposes. Having the 1 per long rest absorb elements also seems like a good way to tank an enemy blast spell when I fail my save.

Is that a good plan? And should I try to get the warcaster feat into there somewhere, perhaps replacing magical initiate?

Also, given that as a hill dwarf he already has decent HP, should one of the +2Con upgrades be replaced with lucky?

nickl_2000
2017-07-28, 06:29 PM
Wow your DM allowed you a full plate with a bonus to it?

That's very generous since full plate costs 2 to 3 times the cost of most uncommon magical items.

As a character you seem to be fine, I don't see any issues or things to change

grumbaki
2017-07-28, 06:37 PM
Is it? I've never played 5e before, only pathfinder. Was kind of worried that this meant that later on I wouldn't be able to have something like fullplate +2. But if this is already something that is a big stretch to have, then I consider myself lucky indeed.

nickl_2000
2017-07-28, 06:51 PM
Is it? I've never played 5e before, only pathfinder. Was kind of worried that this meant that later on I wouldn't be able to have something like fullplate +2. But if this is already something that is a big stretch to have, then I consider myself lucky indeed.

Most uncommon magical items go for between 500-1000gp. Non magical Full plate goes for 1500gp. Plus that is actually an extremely useful magical full plate

Aymon
2017-07-28, 07:50 PM
Spiritual weapon is d8+4 at your level.

You may want resilient con or warcaster before wis 20 or MI druid. In fact I'd forget trying to increase you melee attack, as it will only do limited damage without extra attacks.

You can always have a potion of giant strength for when you need to hit hard. However your melee will only remain competitive if you can get the scag cantrips.

Finger6842
2017-07-29, 12:58 AM
Your numbers are pretty good.
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma

Based on that I recommend some combination of the following:
Lvl 4 take resilient con for a common save and concentration, +1 CON
Str (14) Dex (10) Con (17) Int (10) Wis (18) Cha (8) HP (39) Initiative (0) AC (20)

Lvl 8 take heavy armor master to up STR by 1 and AC by 3
Str (15) Dex (10) Con (17) Int (10) Wis (18) Cha (8) HP (39) Initiative (0) AC (23)

Lvl 12 take Alert to fix initiative woes +5 plus by now surprise is a big deal
Str (15) Dex (10) Con (17) Int (10) Wis (18) Cha (8) HP (39) Initiative (+5) AC (23)

Lvl 16 ASI for STR +1 CON +1
Str (16) Dex (10) Con (18) Int (10) Wis (18) Cha (8) HP (39) Initiative (+5) AC (23)

Lvl 19 ASI lots of options here but cap Wisdom or work a custom Feat.
Str (16) Dex (10) Con (18) Int (10) Wis (20) Cha (8) HP (39) Initiative (+5) AC (23)

Theres a decent guide here if you haven't seen it http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468835-GUIDE-For-God-and-Party-A-Cleric-s-guide

imanidiot
2017-07-29, 05:26 AM
That plate armor isn't exactly a minor magic item.

Plate armor itself is more powerful than many magic items. It's just as good mechanically as chainmail +2, a Very Rare magic item. With the rune's ability that is in the Very Rare to Legendary range.

Expect to keep it for the life of the character.

imanidiot
2017-07-29, 05:31 AM
Lvl 8 take heavy armor master to up STR by 1 and AC by 3
Str (15) Dex (10) Con (17) Int (10) Wis (18) Cha (8) HP (39) Initiative (0) AC (23)

Heavy Armor Master would reduce damage from non magical weapons by 3. Any feat that added +3 to AC would be wildly overpowered.

RazorChain
2017-07-29, 06:14 AM
A+

Because you made him yourself. The rest is irrelevant.

Finger6842
2017-07-29, 09:17 PM
Heavy Armor Master would reduce damage from non magical weapons by 3. Any feat that added +3 to AC would be wildly overpowered.

You're correct, I took that off of a website instead of the PHB, my mistake and it makes that feat worthless. Sadly I feel like most feats are worthless.

grumbaki
2017-07-31, 12:40 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I just found out that I need Str15 to wear fullplate. Because of this, his stats will be: Str (16) Dex (10) Con (16) Int (10) Wis (16) Cha (8) HP (39) Initiative (0) AC (20)

Starting off with Str (15) Con (16) Wis (15). Lvl 4 take +1 Str, +1 Wis.

Seems to me that this will give me the best balance between being heavily armored and able to cast spells.

Largo833
2017-07-31, 10:31 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I just found out that I need Str15 to wear fullplate. Because of this, his stats will be: Str (16) Dex (10) Con (16) Int (10) Wis (16) Cha (8) HP (39) Initiative (0) AC (20)

Starting off with Str (15) Con (16) Wis (15). Lvl 4 take +1 Str, +1 Wis.

Seems to me that this will give me the best balance between being heavily armored and able to cast spells.

I'll just note that you don't actually need 15 Str- failing to meet the strength requirement for heavy armor doesn't mean you can't equip it, only that you receive a movement penalty. Dwarves, however, aren't affected by the penalty and can equip any time of armor that they're proficient in regardless of their strength score.

Foxhound438
2017-08-01, 01:21 AM
My only recommendation for a change is to drop your choice of dex or int to 8 to start with 15 strength, since that's the requirement for plate armor. Not a big deal if you don't, though, since you can pick up heavy armor master later to get there, it's just not great to delay wisdom increases if you can avoid it.