PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Advice for Melee Cleric/Sorc build!

tatszico
2017-07-28, 04:38 PM
Hey all, would love some input on my hybrid build that I'm planning to bring to life! Basically I want to make a heavy-armored gish fighter with a little tankiness by eventually getting plate armor.

First of all, I was thinking of going Tempest Cleric 6/Storm Sorcerer 14. But I'm starting with Cleric 2 / Sorc X for now, until I find the right time to switch back to Cleric levels.

For my rolled stats, I have: 16 CHA, 15 STR, 14 CON, 14 WIS. Dex and Int are my dumped stats. Planning to keep my WIS as is since I want to be using Cleric spells for Bless/concentration spells. Going V-Human with Mobile feat and the reason why is because I'll be using BB/GFB as my main damage source when in melee.

Basically, it'll go like this: At the beginning of a fight against large mobs, I'll throw in a full-powered Quickened Shatter/Call Lightning/Lightning Bolt. Then I'll move in for scraps, using my action for BB against any survivors. Because of Mobile, I can move back without triggering AoO and force an enemy to move and take damage or stay put. It blends nicely with Tempestuous Wind, and adds mobility to my PC so I can dash in and out of the frontlines. From there, it's gonna be BB all day long unless I need to fall back for more spells.

I'm currently planning to take greatsword for more damage and maybe go for GWM down the line. But IDK how great GWM is for a build like this, and may want an ASI instead when I hit Sorc 4. Should I go sword and shield instead since I will have lower HP than most melee characters?

Toughness and HAM are also really good feats that I can take.

Let me know your thoughts everyone, and thanks for your time!

djreynolds
2017-07-29, 02:13 AM
Hey all, would love some input on my hybrid build that I'm planning to bring to life! Basically I want to make a heavy-armored gish fighter with a little tankiness by eventually getting plate armor.

First of all, I was thinking of going Tempest Cleric 6/Storm Sorcerer 14. But I'm starting with Cleric 2 / Sorc X for now, until I find the right time to switch back to Cleric levels.

For my rolled stats, I have: 16 CHA, 15 STR, 14 CON, 14 WIS. Dex and Int are my dumped stats. Planning to keep my WIS as is since I want to be using Cleric spells for Bless/concentration spells. Going V-Human with Mobile feat and the reason why is because I'll be using BB/GFB as my main damage source when in melee.

Basically, it'll go like this: At the beginning of a fight against large mobs, I'll throw in a full-powered Quickened Shatter/Call Lightning/Lightning Bolt. Then I'll move in for scraps, using my action for BB against any survivors. Because of Mobile, I can move back without triggering AoO and force an enemy to move and take damage or stay put. It blends nicely with Tempestuous Wind, and adds mobility to my PC so I can dash in and out of the frontlines. From there, it's gonna be BB all day long unless I need to fall back for more spells.

I'm currently planning to take greatsword for more damage and maybe go for GWM down the line. But IDK how great GWM is for a build like this, and may want an ASI instead when I hit Sorc 4. Should I go sword and shield instead since I will have lower HP than most melee characters?

Toughness and HAM are also really good feats that I can take.

Let me know your thoughts everyone, and thanks for your time!

Its a good build, 16 CHA, 15 STR, 14 CON, 14 WIS, assuming 8 INT, 8 DEX

I like mobile, but I'm unsure if you have the feats. War caster or resilient con at 1st is better IMO, and you have the shield spell as a reaction for +5AC, with chainmail and shield that's 23AC... you won't get hit.

You need war caster if you go S&B, I like GWM but for 1 attack why bother

Resilient con is better than toughness and HAM... so take it over those. And now you have wis, con, chr save proficiencies. Wis and Con are saves that are targeted often

I would grab war caster at level 1, max out charisma since you are taking more sorcerer levels and squeeze in resilient con and elemental adept.

You want maxed charisma, nothing like quickened hold monster and then smacking them with BB/GFB, and 1 more 1d8 for divine strike... this is around sorcerer 9/ cleric 8. But you can do this as early as sorcerer 3/ cleric 2 with quickened hold person and then BB/GFB

And I would take 8 in cleric for divine strike, you only have one attack so 1d8 more thunder damage is nice to have. Storm's fury is nice to use, but why not use the shield spell and not get hit in the first place
And then you have 5 ASI instead and 1 more for vhuman

Also another thread has that spirit guardians/war caster combo with BB. Either they try to leave and get hit with BB, and then try to leave and take more thunder damage or stay for extra radiant damage

I think 8 tempest cleric and 12 storm sorcerer/ or dragon sorcerer could be better for elemental affinity and later on grabbing elemental adept.... I assume lighting.

Chain lightning from sorcerer you can get at sorcerer 11th level

check out this thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?531803-Tempest-Cleric-Melee-Build-Question

tatszico
2017-07-29, 06:36 PM
Its a good build, 16 CHA, 15 STR, 14 CON, 14 WIS, assuming 8 INT, 8 DEX

I like mobile, but I'm unsure if you have the feats. War caster or resilient con at 1st is better IMO, and you have the shield spell as a reaction for +5AC, with chainmail and shield that's 23AC... you won't get hit.

You need war caster if you go S&B, I like GWM but for 1 attack why bother

Resilient con is better than toughness and HAM... so take it over those. And now you have wis, con, chr save proficiencies. Wis and Con are saves that are targeted often

I would grab war caster at level 1, max out charisma since you are taking more sorcerer levels and squeeze in resilient con and elemental adept.

You want maxed charisma, nothing like quickened hold monster and then smacking them with BB/GFB, and 1 more 1d8 for divine strike... this is around sorcerer 9/ cleric 8. But you can do this as early as sorcerer 3/ cleric 2 with quickened hold person and then BB/GFB

And I would take 8 in cleric for divine strike, you only have one attack so 1d8 more thunder damage is nice to have. Storm's fury is nice to use, but why not use the shield spell and not get hit in the first place
And then you have 5 ASI instead and 1 more for vhuman

Also another thread has that spirit guardians/war caster combo with BB. Either they try to leave and get hit with BB, and then try to leave and take more thunder damage or stay for extra radiant damage

I think 8 tempest cleric and 12 storm sorcerer/ or dragon sorcerer could be better for elemental affinity and later on grabbing elemental adept.... I assume lighting.

Chain lightning from sorcerer you can get at sorcerer 11th level

check out this thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?531803-Tempest-Cleric-Melee-Build-QuestionTrue, storm fury is not needed since i'll have thunderbolt. I think I might take your advice and get Cleric to 8. However, do I need resilient con since Sorc gets proficiency in con saves? Warcaster maybe but I'm already set on going 2-h with Mobile.

djreynolds
2017-07-30, 10:16 PM
I'm an idiot, I was assuming you'd begin as a cleric for proficiency in heavy armor.... so grab resilient wisdom instead.

I love to spam fear/charm as a DM as much as I like to use poison, stun and paralysis.

Awesome build, enjoy