PDA

View Full Version : Monsters And PrCs

Fax Celestis
2007-08-08, 08:06 PM
There are monsters that, by sheer virtue of their racial abilities, can walk right into PrCs with little to no effort. For instance, a nymph, by virtue of their sheer nymphness, can walk right into Stormlord or Holt Warden.

Similarly, a Redspawn Arcaniss who takes a single Spellthief level (with the Master Spellthief feat) can proceed directly into Spellwarp Sniper.

What're other monsters that do this?

brian c
2007-08-08, 08:38 PM
In the description of War Hulks in the Miniatures Handbooks, it mentions that many giants qualify without having any class levels. I think all of the varieties of species in the SRD do, as do Ettins. Trolls and Ogres don't have the BAB. War Hulk is really easy to get into for anything Large-sized, basically.

Edit: Also, and this is rather obvious, but Giants do pretty well as Hulking Hurlers.

GunMage
2007-08-08, 08:38 PM
There's a Rakshasa (naztharune, I believe) that can be an assassin with no effort whatsoever.

RTGoodman
2007-08-08, 09:40 PM
In the description of War Hulks in the Miniatures Handbooks, it mentions that many giants qualify without having any class levels. I think all of the varieties of species in the SRD do, as do Ettins. Trolls and Ogres don't have the BAB. War Hulk is really easy to get into for anything Large-sized, basically.

Edit: Also, and this is rather obvious, but Giants do pretty well as Hulking Hurlers.

Giants can actually qualify for a lot of things 'right out of the box.' I mean, check out the SRD entry for the Frost Giant (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monstersG.html#frost-giant) - the Frost Giant Jarl is just the standard Frost Giant with a few skill points moved around and 8 levels of Blackguard.

brian c
2007-08-08, 11:27 PM
Giants can actually qualify for a lot of things 'right out of the box.' I mean, check out the SRD entry for the Frost Giant (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monstersG.html#frost-giant) - the Frost Giant Jarl is just the standard Frost Giant with a few skill points moved around and 8 levels of Blackguard.

So I suppose the best statement to make is that the chance of a monster without class levels being able to qualify for a PrC increases as the monster's HD increases. Giants have a lot of hitdice, so thats a lot of feats, skills and BAB they can get to qualify for a PrC.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-08-09, 12:35 AM
There's a Rakshasa (naztharune, I believe) that can be an assassin with no effort whatsoever.

All Rakshasa are treated as having 7 levels of a class's class abilities (Sorc, Rogue, or Fighter) complimented by their Outsider HD giving them perfect Saves and 8+Skill points, So they can pretty much tapdance into nearly any PrC for those classes.