PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Planning out an NPC

NerdHut
2017-07-29, 01:46 AM
So I recently learned of a historical figure named Julie d'Aubigny, sometimes called Madame de Maupin.
Here's wikipedia's article for those of you wanting more biographical details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_d%27Aubigny

The short version is that she was an almost fantastical French woman from the 17th century famous for her affairs, operatic talents, and skill with a blade.

I need to make an NPC out of her. I don't know when I'll use her in my campaign yet, but there's a lot of potential.

I'm leaning strongly toward Bard and/or Rogue for base classes, but I'm not entirely sure where to go from there. I don't have a lot of experience with this type of build, so I'm looking for suggestions of base classes, Prestige Classes, ACFs, Feats, you name it. The final product need not be exactly like the real woman, just thematically in line with what made her famous.

For the record, I'll likely be going with a race of Human or Elf (because for some strange reason I feel elf seems appropriate).

EDIT: I also want to add that the character need not be highly optimized, because I'm not running a high-op game, so please no MinMax strategies.

Palanan
2017-07-29, 07:45 AM
Now that is amazing. I’d never heard of her either. Strange that she doesn’t have a modern biography, although there seem to be a couple of recent novels.

As for adapting her with game mechanics, I wouldn’t think straight rogue would be appropriate. La Maupin was a swordswoman and duelist, and she seems to have fought all her opponents openly, so sneak attack doesn’t seem to fit.

However, the martial rogue or “feat rogue” variant might be a good place to start; this trades sneak attack for fighter feats, while keeping the abundant skill points you’ll need to represent La Maupin’s varied talents.

As for feats, it depends on your sources, and I assume as DM you can allow yourself quite a few. I always like the Education + Knowledge Devotion combo, and while La Maupin might not have been devoted to knowledge, clearly she had a better early education than most girls her age. That could be a handy starting point.

Vaern
2017-07-29, 05:39 PM
Bladesinger in Complete Warrior looks like it would be a fitting prestige class. I wouldn't say it's a particularly good class, but the flavor is appropriate. It's elf/half- elf only, has pretty high requirements as far as BAB, feats, and spells are concerned.
The class doesn't require bardic music, nor do any of the abilities benefit from being a bard specifically so fighter/wizard going into this class would be the best route, but it is based on the theme of someone skilled with a blade using the power of song mesh magic into their fighting style.

Thurbane
2017-07-29, 06:41 PM
Maybe Bard into the Cloaked Dancer (CS) prestige class? Maybe some Arcane Duelist (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) as well? Although none of those has good BAB.

Swiftblade (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) might work.

The Snowflake War Dance feat (Frostburn) is also pretty good for martial bards.

Bard 7/Swiftblade 10/Arcane Duelist 3 (not necessarily in that order) is a decent build thematically, if not mechanically.

Gildedragon
2017-07-29, 10:29 PM
Bard with Jack of All Trades OR high charisma Factotum

Skills:
Bluff
Disguise
Diplomacy
Iaijutsu Focus / Perform (Weapon Drill) (either works for fancy fencing shows)
Kn. Nobility
Perform (Singing)
Perform (Acting)

Probable:
Forgery
Sleight of Hand
Sense Motive

NerdHut
2017-08-01, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the insights. I'll check the options you've all suggested and work from there. I really appreciate it, and hopefully my players latch onto the character as much as I did to the real person.