PDA

View Full Version : Taking a level dip

MisterABM
2017-07-29, 08:10 AM
So I have a quick question. I'm currently playing a sorcerer and I've been checking out the optimization guide on this site and I want to take about a three level dip at least into warlock to give me access to agonizing eldritch blast and pact of the tome. The question is when do I take the dip? I'm only level one in the campaign, we just did our session 0 and a minor bit of battle. Do I dip as early as possible to get it out of the way? Do I dip after level 6 when my draconic bloodline powers my fire spells? I like the concept of multi classing but I'm nowhere near an expert in buidling those level dips at the right time.

imanidiot
2017-07-29, 08:23 AM
Wait until you get to Sorcerer 5. You'll get 3rd level spells. After that take levels 6,7, and 8 as Warlock. then back to sorcerer to 17.

Vulsutyr
2017-07-29, 09:14 AM
How long do you expect the campaign to last? If it will stop around 5-7 the answer will be different that going all the way to 20

Coffee_Dragon
2017-07-29, 09:19 AM
Wait until you get to Sorcerer 5. You'll get 3rd level spells.

I don't know, there is a risk in this. One guy waited until level 6 to dip Warlock for mechanical benefits and the fiend was like,

"DO YOU THINK SO LITTLE OF MY POWER. THAT YOU WOULD WAIT UNTIL NOW. TO SELL YOUR SOUL. I EXPECTED YOU. AT LEAST TWO LEVELS AGO."

"But I wanted 3rd-level spells first. I needed Sorc 5 for that."

"2ND-LEVEL SPELLS ARE FINE. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM."

"Hey, I'm just optimizing here. Are you going to give me Agonizing Blast for my build or what?"

"SILENCE, WORM." *smite*

And then the guy had to roll up a new character. Don't make this mistake! Dip Warlock when it is flavourably appropriate and not before or after.

MisterABM
2017-07-29, 09:25 AM
This is definitely going to be a long haul campaign. Flavor wise, my character is a sorcerer entertainer, much like Dr. Facilie in princess and the frog. He's a money loving shadow man who wants the most power in his quest to hunt down a rival. So flavor wise, I was thinking of taking sorcerer 3, then taking warlock 3, doing this gives me agonizing blast, and warlock spell slots of level three to turn into additional sorcery points to use extra magic missiles or shields. I'm definitely a ranged, stay in the back of the party guy so I don't think I'll be hurting too much if I don't immediately grab level 3 sorcerer spells. Using a twinned eldritch blast is a pretty cool idea.

djreynolds
2017-07-29, 12:12 PM
Do it now then. Eldritch blast will carry you damage wise. Not many can resist force damage. You'll be behind in maxing out charisma... but who cares. For now quicken eldritch blast and twin chromatic orb for a big damage splash. Just make sure to short rest to replenish warlock spells.