PDA

View Full Version : Mimic core class

slexlollar89
2007-08-08, 10:23 PM
okay, this is mu first time possting a homebrew thing, so be nice...

this was my attempt to take the chameleon PrC from races of destiny and make it a core class (with abit of the Gogo character from ff6 added in). i also tried to add more options. PEACH please!

The Mimic
Imagine being able to do anything… imagine calling down the power of the gods, cleaving your opponent in two, and picking the noble’s pocket… all at the same time. In a world of such grand adventures there are grand adventurers, but that isn’t you, you just pretend to be like them.

Cleric or sorcerer? Hmmm, I could be both, but then I couldn’t be a rogue, but I could get spells, lots of spells, but I really want to climb that wall today, but then again I could do it if I were a wizard, but then I won’t be able to use that great-sword I made yesterday, but if I do that I won’t be cleric because that is just too demanding… ah I have it! I can be a paladin rogue! That gives me everything! – Mithray the Morose Mime, trying to decide his personality for the day.

The Mimic
level base attack fort ref will special ability
1 0 0 0 0 1/day Aptitude Focus (+1)
2 1 0 0 0
3 2 1 1 1 Imitate Class Ability
4 3 1 1 1
5 3 1 1 1 2/day Aptitude Focus (+2)
6 4 2 2 2
7 5 2 2 2
8 6/1 2 2 2 Imitate Class Ability
9 6/1 3 3 3
10 6/1 3 3 3 Double Aptitude, 3/day Aptitude Focus (+3)
11 7/2 3 3 3
12 8/3 4 4 4 Copycat
13 9/4 4 4 4 Imitate Class Ability
14 9/4 4 4 4
15 10/5 5 5 5 4/day Aptitude Focus (+4)
16 11/6/1 5 5 5
17 12/7/2 5 5 5
18 13/8/3 6 6 6 Imitate Class Ability
19 14/9/4 6 6 6 Mimicry Errata
20 15/10/5 6 6 6 5/day Aptitude Focus (+5), Perfect Mirror

HD: d8
Skills: 6+int
Class Skills: bluff, concentration, craft, diplomacy, disable device, disguise, forgery, heal, hide, knowledge (any two), listen, move silently, open lock, perform, profession, search, sense motive, sleight of hand, spellcraft, spot, survival, use magic device.
Proficiencies: light armor, simple weapons.
Multiclass restriction: to be a Mimic, you must be completely focused. You cannot multiclass or prestige once you have become a Mimic.

Class Features:

Aptitude Focus: a number of times per day, as shown on the table, a Mimic may assume (or change between) the abilities of certain archetype classes. The Mimic must spend a full hour to adopt a focus, and may change it if they have more per day. The different class focuses are listed below. The spellcasting ability of the different focuses is unaffected by light armor, but other armor imposes normal spell failure (if applicable). An aptitude focus lasts for 24 hours, or until changed.

Imitate Class Ability: at 3rd, 8th, 13th, and 18th level, the Mimic can assume one of the abilities listed below, as long as they meet the requirements (if any). These are chosen when the character assumes an aptitude focus, and cannot be re-chosen for 24 hours or until the character changes their aptitude focus.

class feature requirements benefits
evasion * Evasion (as monk)
mettle mettle (as hexblade)
fast movement * +10ft speed/4 levels
death attack * make death attacks like assassin
hide in plain sight Mimic level 18+ hide in plain sight as a shadowdncer
dodge bonus * +1 dodge bonus/5 levels
improved evasion Mimic level 13+ gain improved evasion like monk
sneak attack * +1d6 sneak attack/3 levels
special mount Mimic level 8+ gain paladin’s special mount
shadow jump * shadowjump 10ft/level
divine grace * add cha bonus on all saves like paladin
fiendish resilience Mimic level 8+ fast healing 1/5 levels
quick cast * cast a spell as swift act 1/day per 5 levels
slowfall slowfall 10ft/4 levels
damage reduction * gain DR 1/cold iron per 5 levels
turn/rebuke Turn/rebuke undead as a cleric of same alignment
divine Health Mimic level 8+ gain divine health as paladin

Double Aptitude: by 10th level, the Mimic can adopt 2 aptitude focuses at the same time, each counting towards the number of times per day she can change focuses. For example, a Mimic of 11th level can take up the divine and arcane focuses, effectively being a mystic theurge. In addition it now takes only ten minutes to assume an aptitude focus.

Copycat (Su): at 12th level a Mimic can use mirror image, prestidigitation, and disguise self at will at a caster level equal to their HD (DC is con based). Additionally, they can ignore racial or alignment restrictions when using magic items or casting spells.

Mimicry Errata (Su): by 19th level, a Mimic has become the perfect jack of trades. He is constantly under the effect of an undetectable alignment spell. Additionally, the Mimic can use ventriloquism, Reflective disguise*, and delusions of grandeur* at will at a caster level equal to their HD (DC is con based). * from spell compendium

Perfect Mirror (Su): at 20th level a Mimic can copy anything and anyone. As a full round action, the Mimic can copy the action any action that preceded him, even if he could not normally use the ability copied. For example, Redgar charges 80ft and attacks an enemy with his great-sword dealing 2d6 +12 damage. The party Mime then Mimics Redgar, so the Mimic charges 80ft and deals 2d6+12 damage. It doesn’t matter if the Mime even has a great-sword or can charge 80ft, he Mimics the last action that occurred. Using this ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity, and does not use up any spell slots, spells per day, maneuvers or abilities per day, the Mimic simply performs whatever action happened before his turn. This ability does not function against deific powers or the Mimic himself. After using this ability, the Mimic must delay his next turn to recuperate his abilities. This ability is useable a number of times per day equal to the Mimic’s cha modifier.

Aptitude Focus List: The bonus numbers listed on the table determine many of the abilities granted by a focus. Any skill bonuses granted by the focus allow that skill to be used, even if untrained. For example Aptitude Focus (+1) would give a +1 to certain skills or saves, depending on the focus chosen. An asterisk (*) denotes a special aptitude ability. Only one special aptitude ability may be used, regardless of how many focuses the Mimic can take on.

Combat Focus: the character gains a number of fighter bonus feats equal to their aptitude bonus x2 they also gain their aptitude bonus as a competence bonus on all attack and damage rolls. This focus grants proficiency with medium and heavy armor, martial weapons, and shields (not tower shields). *The character can use tower shields.

Arcane Caster Focus: the character gains their aptitude bonus on all knowledge (arcana) and spellcraft checks. In addition, they cast spells as a wizard of their level. *They can increase the DC of one school of magic by their aptitude bonus, or take 3 metamagic feats.

Divine Caster Focus: The character gains their aptitude bonus on all knowledge (religion) and heal checks. In addition, they cast spells as a cleric of their level. *They gain 2 domains, neither of which can conflict (such as the good and evil domain) and can use the domain powers as a normal cleric.

Wild Focus: the Mimic gains their aptitude bonus on all knowledge (nature) and survival checks. Additionally, the Mimic can wildshape as a druid of his level, but only for half the normal time (1hour/2 levels). They gain the Druid’s restriction on armor. *The character also gains the woodland stride, wild empathy, and trackless step ability of a druid.

Stealth Focus: the character gains their aptitude bonus on all hide, move silently, sleight of hand, and disable device checks. In addition, the character gains uncanny dodge ability at 5th level, and improved uncanny dodge at 9th. They also gain their aptitude bonus as trap sense. *The character can cast assassin spells as an assassin of ˝ their Mimic level.

Arcane Combat Focus: the character gains their aptitude bonus on all knowledge (arcana) and concentration checks, and on attack and damage rolls. Additionally the Mimic casts spells as a duskblade of his level and gain the benefit of the combat casting feat. The character can channel touch spells as a duskblade, but only 1/day per 4 levels. *they can add their aptitude bonus to their caster level to ignore spell resistance and to counterspell.

Eldritch Focus: the character gains their aptitude bonus on all use magic device, knowledge (arcane), and spellcraft checks. In addition, they can use invocations as a warlock of their level. The Mimic can also use an eldritch blast (Sp) as a warlock of his level -3. *the Mimic can add their aptitude bonus as an inherent bonus to cha.

Ascetic Focus: the character gains their aptitude bonus on all tumble and balance checks. The Mimic also receives the improved unarmed strike feat, and the unarmed damage of a monk of equal level. The character gains their aptitude bonus to their AC. The Mimic does not need to eat or sleep. *the character gains the improved grapple, improved trip, and snatch arrows feats.

Swashbuckler Focus: the character gains their aptitude bonus to all diplomacy and bluff checks. Additionally, the character gains proficiency with the rapier, and gain the weapon finesse feat. The character gains their aptitude bonus on all attack and damage rolls.* The character may apply their intelligence bonus to all attacks with light or one-handed weapons.

Paladin Focus: the character gains their aptitude bonus to all diplomacy and knowledge (religion) checks. Additionally, the Mimic can smite good or evil (depending on his alignment) 1/5 levels. The character becomes immune to fear. *The character can lay on hands.

sorry if it is hard to read, but i used exel to make it, and the tables didnt copy right:smallfurious: !

Matthew
2007-08-11, 07:13 PM
Take a look at the information in the Stickied Threads about how to format Tables.

Reinboom
2007-08-11, 07:33 PM
At its core, if I am reading this correctly, you could just keeping choosing - say - arcane caster and gain the spellcasting abilities of the wizard. As a full wizard.
You have worse will saves, but better BAB (ew), but you do gain 3 free metamagic feats that you can keep changing, a free class features (the paladin's divine grace is a nice save pumper, makes it a Cha/Int class), much better HD, 6 + int skill points with UMD - Diplomacy, Bluff, and Knowledge (Nobility) available. So it can be a diplomat, able to use cleric scrolls, and a full wizard caster.

You may wish to tone down the power level of it considerably, overshadowing classes - notably overshadowing any of the 'big 3' (wizard, cleric, druid) is a bad plan since it leads to even more degenerate power centers. The class concept is well enough (and I do like the changeling), however, you are stepping on too many toes at once, simultaneously.

Also, to help quickly build a table for it:
http://pifro.com/dnd/index.php?Class=Custom&Site=GITP&Saves=ABBB&Lvl=20&SCC=3&SL1=(N)/day%20Aptitude%20Focus%20(%AF(N))&SC1=5&SL2=Imitate%20Class%20Ability&SC2=101

slexlollar89
2007-08-11, 09:47 PM
i did see some thing like that happening, and i posted it so i could get some ideas on how to fix it... i think i could limit the casting by granting full spellcsatsing, but less spells per day. also, thanx for the link for formatting!

TheLogman
2007-08-11, 10:19 PM
I suggest that this Class get both less Spells per day, but less spell levels as well. How about never getting level 9's (Cause they should be reserved for the most Elite of Casters), and only getting 1 level 8 at the most?

I'm also weary of giving Assassin death-strike at third level, may I suggest either moving Death Strike to at least 8, if not 13 or even 18 level requirement?

Also, what do the asterisks mean? You've marked a few Class Abilities with them, but I can't figure out what they mean.

slexlollar89
2007-08-11, 10:51 PM
when the * are on a class featyre they dont mean anything... i dont why they are there. curse the evil excel formatting problems!!!:smallfurious: !!!

yeah, i will limit the casting: with the aptitudes, you can cast as a arcane/divine class of your level -4. and death attack isnt at all that powerful, the DC can not be improved by anything other than HD or int modifier.

TheLogman
2007-08-11, 11:32 PM
Still, Death or be insta-stunned, with a 4th level Barbarian Dying almost half the time against a Third Level Ability, and then sometimes, he is unable to move, speak, or attack, and then, even if he makes two saves he will fail half the time, he STILL gets hit with a Sneak Attack. Granted, it would only be 1d6 damage, plus the hit, It's still better than a third level guy should have.'

However, it is your Class, I just think Death-Strike is too deadly.

Reinboom
2007-08-11, 11:40 PM
Spell Progression such as:
{table=head]Level|Max Spell
1|1
2|1
3|1
4|2
5|2
6|2
7|3
8|3
9|3
10|4
11|4
12|4
13|5
14|5
15|5
16|6
17|6
18|6
19|7
20|7[/table]

Would suffice, however, you will still need to be careful about stepping on the bard's toes as well.
A class ability along the lines of:
'Choosing this aspect makes it so that for [list of skills] are all treated as though you had max ranks in them. This class feature does not actually increase your ranks, just changes your skill checks, so you may not use this feature for prerequisites without actually having the appropriate ranks.'
Then dropping them down to 2 + or 4 + skills, and giving each aspect a list of skill which maxes upon choosing.

Also, I would recommend dropping them down to d6 HD, and then giving the more combat oriented aspects a 'your max hp increases by 1 per class level of mimic you have for as long as this aspect's duration (as though you had gained a temporary constitution increase).'

I would also just, instead of giving each aspect free temporary feats, give the class as a whole 'free' temporary feats that you choose when you change aspects. Perhaps you gain your first moving feat slot at level 7, then another at 14 ?

slexlollar89
2007-08-12, 10:50 AM
well, i wanted to aviod picking feats from the class,but get thm from a aptitude, because then he fighting focus really doest offer much, and the oher aptitudes benefit a lot frm them also. the spell progrssion looks good, i have a suggestion, maybe use that and get three metamagic feats (which are spaced at different levels forgot to mention:smallbiggrin: ) or get a new spell every 2 levels and take 2 metamagic feats, or take every level and no metamagic. is that balanced, i think it is but my head is mush right now:smallsigh:. and i thin i wi oe e dah aack to 8th level (i just realized you have tbe 5th level to get into assassin). the skills i meant to be a big piont of the class (it offersz versatility for the player and makes them chooses a veriety of skills that fit for all aptitudes). if each aptitude gave a skill list, then they simply become a full wizard or fighter, they are supposed to use aspects of each class, not perfectly fit them. d6 six hit dice was what it IS supossed to be, i goofed, thanx for catching it:smallsmile: .

i think another thing i could do to balance is limit the Mimic Class Bility feature, like to get imp. eveasion, you must have evasion. i had done that origionally, but for some reason got rid of it and put in level restrictions instead.