PDA

View Full Version : Need help finishing character! Need a 3 sentace backstory.

Rfkannen
2017-07-29, 07:34 PM
Howdy! So I'm making a character, but am having some trouble with it. And was wondering if you guys could help!

My problem is backstory! Backstory For my last character was 3 pages, for this one I'm doing 3 sentences max, a really simple backstory that can grow over time. Problem is I don't really have any ideas for backstories that simple!

Some things I do know about the character!

The character is going to be a strength based battle master fighter who uses 2 handed polearms and Wears plate armor.

Character has no magic abilities. All my past characters have been spellcasters so this one will have no spellcasting at all to contrast.

Character can't be tied to a patron or group. All previous characters have had some major connections, to the royal family, the church, an organization, or a patron. So this character isn't tied to something bigger than themselves.

All my other characters have been men, so this one is a woman.

Since all my characters have been weirdos, her Personality is a sane good natured straightman type.

Some things I'm not decided on.

Race is one of the big types, like half orc, orc, dragonborn, or goliath. Not sure which. I like the ways half orc look, and I would need to draw the character, but I'm not sure how interesting they are mechanically. Dragonborn I really like the idea of breathing fire, but don't like their faces. Goliath I don't really know.

What they did for a living and why they can fight, I like the knight errant type but that implies connection to a group. A gladiator? A basketweaver? Just not sure.

Why they are adventuring, I need a really simple backstory but I want some type of motivation.

Any ideas?

scalyfreak
2017-07-29, 07:38 PM
Half-orc mercenary.

The orc tribe were your character grew up were always mean and bullying towards the half-breed, and eventually she had had enough. She left the tribe and met up with a retired human battle master who reluctantly agreed to train her in the fine art of becoming an unstoppable force of nature with a greatsword. The two of them eventually became close friends, and when he passed away a couple of year ago, she took up her travelling ways again.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-30, 01:54 AM
Give us three qualities about their character or personality that we'd pick up in a 20-minute conversation.

Describe the way they walk across the room and sit down in a chair.

Tell us what gets them angry, and what gets them sad.

If you know that, then a backstory is much easier.

JellyPooga
2017-07-30, 03:57 AM
Born in a barn. Daddy was a retired knight who turned to farming. Wants to follow in her daddies footsteps and earn her place in the Knights of...

Nidgit
2017-07-30, 04:21 AM
Retired army veteran who left after a particularly costly battle. Used to believe in the glory of her country but is too experienced and jaded to buy into that any more. Fighting now is just a means to an end.

You'd have multiple avenues to grow, like perhaps a fixation on restitution or revenge, a slow path to opening up to friendship again, or maybe just a hedonistic lifestyle that focuses on immediate gratification.

ghost_warlock
2017-07-30, 05:21 AM
Appeared alongside a troupe of berserkers when another character blew on a Horn of Valhalla, but for unknown reasons didn't disappear along with the berserkers. Has only foggy memories of a life before going to Valhalla, no memories of Valhalla itself other than that it was 'heaven,' and no knowledge of the current state of the world. Adventuring to discover her former identity and the reasons why she didn't return to Valhalla along with the other berserkers.