PDA

View Full Version : Mind Flayer Dread Necro

Guinea Anubis
2007-08-08, 10:32 PM
So I am playing in a high power evil campain where we can have a +7 and we are all starting at level 5.

I wanted to play something I have never played before So I picked a mind flayer dread necro. Now the think is I can pick feats and spells from just about any book that has been put out. There is just so much to pick from I feel a little overwhelmed.

So can you guys please help me buy pointing me to some good stuff to look in to.

Thank You

Whiplord
2007-08-08, 10:42 PM
I hope you're using LA buyoff or something, because that adjustment will really hurt you since you're a caster.

As for feats... Um, something interesting would be that feat that changes your energy type to negative, and since, I believe it's the Dread Necro who gets the ability to create negative energy bursts all day long you can heal yourself. Even if it's not the DN, it's still sorta cool and flavorful.

The feat, although i don't know the exact name of it, has the word Tomb in it, and I believe is found in Libris Mortis.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-08, 11:11 PM
That'd be Tomb-tainted Soul he means. Quite a useful one. I also recommend taking Practiced Spellcaster, which will boost the DCs of your spells.

brian c
2007-08-08, 11:18 PM
That'd be Tomb-tainted Soul he means. Quite a useful one. I also recommend taking Practiced Spellcaster, which will boost the DCs of your spells.

Practiced spellcaster will only help if mindflayers have racial HD, which I don't know if they do. Practiced Spellcaster raises your effective caster level by 4, but only up to your HD. If mind flayer is all LA with no extra hitdice, and all of his levels are in Dread Necro, then that feat won't do anything at all.

Tomb-Tainted Soul is good though; if you're going to be a summoner/undead army sort of guy, there's a feat in the CorpseCrafter chain that makes your undead explode with negative energy whenever they die, and with Tomb-Tainted Soul that would heal not only other undeads, but also you. There are other benefits, such as making yourself one of the targets for a Mass Inflict X Wounds spell and being healed.

If you want to take Corpsecrafter or any of that chain, try to convince your DM to let you use the Dread Necro class ability to create enhanced undead as a virtual feat for Corpsecrafter; basically, DN already gets the Corpsecrafter benefits and they don't stack, so if you have to take Corpsecrafter itself it's a waste of a feat.

Jasdoif
2007-08-08, 11:19 PM
Practiced spellcaster will only help if mindflayers have racial HD, which I don't know if they do. Practiced Spellcaster raises your effective caster level by 4, but only up to your HD. If mind flayer is all LA with no extra hitdice, and all of his levels are in Dread Necro, then that feat won't do anything at all.A Mind Flayer has 8RHD to go with its +7 LA.

Hmm. That might pose a problem, if you have 8RHD but are supposed to be starting at level 5 (ignoring the LA).

SurlySeraph
2007-08-08, 11:20 PM
I think they have something like... +7 LA, 8 racial hit die? +3 LA, 4 racial hit die? I don't remember, but I'm sure that they have enough racial hit die for Practiced Spellcaster to be fully effective.

brian c
2007-08-08, 11:29 PM
I think they have something like... +7 LA, 8 racial hit die? +3 LA, 4 racial hit die? I don't remember, but I'm sure that they have enough racial hit die for Practiced Spellcaster to be fully effective.

Fair enough, I really have no idea. Just wanted to make sure all of the relevant information was out there.

Whiplord
2007-08-09, 01:12 AM
A Mind Flayer has 8RHD to go with its +7 LA.

Hmm. That might pose a problem, if you have 8RHD but are supposed to be starting at level 5 (ignoring the LA).

Eek. That will absolutely murder spell progression.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-09, 04:03 AM
If I was going to get to drop 7 LA, I'd jump for the Rakshasa. 7 RHD, but all of them are double-strength Sorceror.:smallbiggrin:

Or if you want flight+better melee presence, Lillend(Bard 6 being worse than Sorc7, but c'est la vie).

Guinea Anubis
2007-08-09, 06:08 AM
thanks for the recommendations!

The GM said that the +7 LA is "free" as in since the whole party will be level LAs 7s he is just "forget about it". So we will still get full class/spell progression.

As for Rakshasa, we have someone playing one as a Sorc. We also have someone playing a Frost Giant/Half Dragon (red) Barb. The other 2 have yet to make up there minds.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-09, 07:55 AM
Since there's already a Rak in there, you could either go Rak Wizard >> Ultimate Magus, or play Lilend Wizard, aiming for Ultimate Magus, or straight-up Lilend Bard >> Virtuoso/Sublime Chord. Being able to sing while essentially "hugging" an enemy to death has hilarious mental images.

Person_Man
2007-08-09, 08:51 AM

The GM said that the +7 LA is "free" as in since the whole party will be level LAs 7s he is just "forget about it". So we will still get full class/spell progression.

OK, but what about racial hit dice? Do you get that for free? Because a 5th level Mind Flayer is a ECL 20 PC. Even with the +7 LA for free, its an ECL 13 PC.

Guinea Anubis
2007-08-09, 09:23 AM
OK, but what about racial hit dice? Do you get that for free? Because a 5th level Mind Flayer is a ECL 20 PC. Even with the +7 LA for free, its an ECL 13 PC.

Yes we get all that kinda stuff for free.

More or less he is treating the us like 5 level PCs.

Guinea Anubis
2007-08-09, 09:28 AM
Since there's already a Rak in there, you could either go Rak Wizard >> Ultimate Magus, or play Lilend Wizard, aiming for Ultimate Magus, or straight-up Lilend Bard >> Virtuoso/Sublime Chord. Being able to sing while essentially "hugging" an enemy to death has hilarious mental images.

I am tired of playing Wizards.

I made up my mind to play An Illithid DreadNecro it might not be as over powered as some other combos but its what I want to do. Also the idea of sucking out someones brain and them raising them as my pet makes me grin from ear to ear.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-08-09, 10:50 AM
Yes we get all that kinda stuff for free.

More or less he is treating the us like 5 level PCs.

Hmmm...Then if everyone is correct in saying that the Tarrasque is an LA 0 because of its 30 RHD:

5th Level Sorcerer Tarrasque-Lich

Call Me Siggy
2007-08-09, 10:53 AM
...Lillend? But it's an evil campaign and Lillends are CG.

Although I love the idea of a Tarrasque-lich. That just...wins. Can you imagine what its phylactery would be? :smalleek:

Whiplord
2007-08-09, 12:12 PM

As for Rakshasa, we have someone playing one as a Sorc. We also have someone playing a Frost Giant/Half Dragon (red) Barb. The other 2 have yet to make up there minds.

Oh. Alright then. I just had trouble understanding the first post for some reason. Well then, have fun!, I sure as hell wish I could play a Mind Player PC.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-09, 09:47 PM
If you want, you could try sneaking in a Half-Illithid(LA+4)+Half-something(totalling +3)+ECL 1 base race. That way, you still get to suck the brains out, and you get other stuff as well.:smallwink:

Staven
2007-08-09, 10:14 PM
As one who is familiar with the Mind Flayer PC, I would say that it doesn't really matter what feats you have. At all. You're an Illithid Dread Necromancer, the most overpowered class and overpowered race in existance. So, I suggest you take the Whirlwind Attack chain. Because really, it doesn't matter what feats you have. you're going to become a lich in fifteen levels, and with a mindflayer dread necro it's very unlikely that you'll die along the way.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-08-09, 11:01 PM

Although I love the idea of a Tarrasque-lich. That just...wins. Can you imagine what its phylactery would be? :smalleek:
His phylactery is the entire world...with the half-dragon template applied.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-08-09, 11:07 PM
As one who is familiar with the Mind Flayer PC, I would say that it doesn't really matter what feats you have. At all. You're an Illithid Dread Necromancer, the most overpowered class and overpowered race in existance. So, I suggest you take the Whirlwind Attack chain. Because really, it doesn't matter what feats you have. you're going to become a lich in fifteen levels, and with a mindflayer dread necro it's very unlikely that you'll die along the way.

To begin: Whether or not this race and class are overpowered, (I'll even entertain that they are) together they have terrible synergy.

First off, the DM is being a complete boob by ignoring the Racial HD, because he is effectively a level 20 character, not a a level 12.
With 5 Dread Necro levels, he has an extremely limited selection of level 3 spells; at ECL 20!

Add to that a few abilities from Dread Necro (Charnel Touch, etc.) that are vastly inferior to the Flayers pre-existing abilities.

So, you're a mindflayer with 5d6 extra HD and +2 extra BAB.

Not
Over
Powered
At
All

(Except for the fact that the DM let him have 8 LEVELS of HD for free)

Guinea Anubis
2007-08-10, 08:08 AM
I was thinking of adding the Necropolitan template to my guy.

good idea bad idea?

Doc_Outlands
2007-08-10, 08:27 AM
If you want to take Corpsecrafter or any of that chain, try to convince your DM to let you use the Dread Necro class ability to create enhanced undead as a virtual feat for Corpsecrafter; basically, DN already gets the Corpsecrafter benefits and they don't stack, so if you have to take Corpsecrafter itself it's a waste of a feat.

Being in the process of making a necromancer as a bbeg, I just discovered the major overlapping of a Dread Necromancer's Undead Mastery class ability and the Corpsecrafter feat. The class ability is better, since it gives a DEX bonus in addition to the STR and HP bonus. I would have NO problem allowing the class ability to serve as a "virtual feat" for Corpsecrafter.

Doc_Outlands
2007-08-10, 08:28 AM
I was thinking of adding the Necropolitan template to my guy.

good idea bad idea?

What book is it in?

(wishing I had a "Complete Feats Index" that automagically updated...)

Guinea Anubis
2007-08-10, 08:48 AM
What book is it in?

(wishing I had a "Complete Feats Index" that automagically updated...)

Libris Mortis ,page 114 IIRC

Doc_Outlands
2007-08-10, 09:23 AM
Ah, thank you. I haven't yet finished my first cup of coffee and didn't realize you actually specified it was a template - so I was looking for it under "feats."

Guinea Anubis
2007-08-10, 11:24 AM
Ah, thank you. I haven't yet finished my first cup of coffee and didn't realize you actually specified it was a template - so I was looking for it under "feats."

Its all good we all have days like that, I call them weekdays :smallbiggrin:

As far cas I can tell the template will make me Undead with all the undead percs.But still can be healed by healing spells and reast along with the normal negitive energy spells. It also gives you +2 Vs turning and it ups you hit dice to d12. All that for the small price of 1 level of Exp and some gold.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-10, 12:32 PM
hey look at my secound sig link, it's the Dreaded Nec hand book.

Deth Muncher
2007-08-10, 12:36 PM

Something the size of Rhode Island?

Guinea Anubis
2007-08-11, 08:13 AM
OK, is there a way for me to make undead before level 8?

Zincorium
2007-08-11, 08:47 AM
OK, is there a way for me to make undead before level 8?

Create, not without recourse to scrolls and such. But you can use the summon undead line of spells (Libris Mortis, again) to get yourself some reinforcements for the duration of combat.

Guinea Anubis
2007-08-14, 09:35 AM
So I have one last question. It is about the Mind Flayers SPs. It lists the DCs for each one, but then it says something about the saves being based on Cha. Is this a miss print?

Arbitrarity
2007-08-14, 09:43 AM
DC's are for convenience. If you want to calculate DC's, they're always 10+1/2HD+(Stat modifier, in this case charisma). Assuming you don't advance mind flayer hit dice, you get DC 14+Charisma modifier.

Guinea Anubis
2007-08-14, 12:07 PM
DC's are for convenience. If you want to calculate DC's, they're always 10+1/2HD+(Stat modifier, in this case charisma). Assuming you don't advance mind flayer hit dice, you get DC 14+Charisma modifier.

Boy do I feel stupid now