PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing a sorcerer spell list and metamagics (level 7)

Klorox
2017-07-29, 10:29 PM
Hey all.

I'm going to be playing a sorcerer for the first time in 5e.

He will have the draconic bloodline, and will be the party face. He's also the only arcane spellcaster in the party.

I have been told the module we're playing goes up to about level 7.

What spells or metamagic abilities do I really need to grab?

Thanks a lot!!

TheUser
2017-07-29, 10:47 PM
Hey again Klorox! Subtle is my go to as a sorcerer, especially if you are the party face. At level 3 you will have subtle suggestion which is pretty much one sentence mind control but nobody notices you casting.

Are there divine spell casters? What is the party composition? Twinned is good for things like haste/enlarge with rogues, barbarians or wildshaped druids. But if you don't have any strong buffing targets (or just the one) empower becomes great for stepping up your AoE game.

If there are 0 casters (no arcane or divine) you'll be forced to fill in a lot of gaps and sorcerer might feel lacking. I'd highly reccommend Light Cleric in that case; Healing, damage and support spells and more than double the spells known of a sorcerer at level 7.

Blas_de_Lezo
2017-07-30, 09:14 AM
If you're the only arcane caster grab Ritual Casting, so you don't waste your spell slots on basic spells such as Detect Magic or Identify. Also, you'll have a wider spell selection which somehow will give a more versatile character. Spells as Leomund's Tiny Hut come to mind.

evolutionXXVII
2017-07-30, 10:31 AM
A few questions!

How big is your party and what's the makeup?
Is your game more social/RP or more combat focused?

Klorox
2017-08-01, 06:52 AM
A few questions!

How big is your party and what's the makeup?
Is your game more social/RP or more combat focused?

We haven't played session 1 yet, so I'm not sure if the game will lean any certain way. We'll be playing through the published module Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

So far, there's my draconic sorcerer, a monk, a cleric, a fighter or barbarian and one completely undecided.

I know that's not much help.

I chose sorcerer for the social implications.

If we do a session 0, which we might, and I'm the only arcane spellcaster, I might switch to wizard for versatility, but only if we have another character to be the face.

Byke
2017-08-01, 08:14 AM
With such a melee centric party, I would go party face/buffer.

MM - Twin and Subtle (Quicken is also good but a matter of preference/playstyle)

My spell list at 7th would look like.

Cantrips: Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade, Firebolt or Element appropriate cantrip, Mending, Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion

4/1st
Shield

3/2nd
Misty Step, Mirror Image, Hold Person or Suggestion

3/ 3rd
Lightning Bolt or Fire Ball, Haste, Counter Spell

1/ 4th
Polymorph

Twin haste is a significant boost to Melee DPR and it gives 2 AC. Twin polymorph will dominate most encounters (T-Rex or Giant Ape).

The other option is 5 Sorc / 2 lock it will give excellent sustained and some burst with quicken.

Specter
2017-08-01, 12:26 PM
Agreed on Ritual Casting, it will save your precious spell slots when you need them. As for metas, Subtle and Quickened have never let me down.

tieren
2017-08-01, 12:38 PM
If the campaign is only going to level 7 you will only ever get 2 meta magics so choose wisely.

Either quickened or twinned seem mandatory to me, they each help you break the action economy (by casting 2 spells or casting the same spell twice). Subtle sounds cool if you think you'll do a lot of casting in social situations, but its not super practical if most of your time is spent dungeon delving.

TheUser
2017-08-01, 12:41 PM
If the campaign is only going to level 7 you will only ever get 2 meta magics so choose wisely.

Either quickened or twinned seem mandatory to me, they each help you break the action economy (by casting 2 spells or casting the same spell twice). Subtle sounds cool if you think you'll do a lot of casting in social situations, but its not super practical if most of your time is spent dungeon delving.

Unless you want to stay hidden after you cast a spell....

tieren
2017-08-01, 02:45 PM
Unless you want to stay hidden after you cast a spell....

Sure, I don't mean to knock subtle, if you want to be a sneaky caster its the best way to do it, but not everyone does. (while most everyone likes casting more spells per turn or affecting more targets).

If you envision your sorcerer as more of a blaster subtle could be counterproductive.