PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Flushing out a concept - Ideas Welcome!

thecrimsondawn
2017-07-30, 01:24 AM
DM let us know we will be starting a new game due to several new players joining the group in about 2 months or so. I dont have all the details on the game yet, but we know it will be high powered (20 point buy, 1 for 1) and mythic.

I did some brain storming on what I would like to play and I decided to go with a PrC that I never got to play yet - the Landsknecht by DSP.

So starting off, I think I am dead set with going with Warlord - Steelfist Commando archetype. It may seem odd, but when I broke down what I got from the class, as well as what content I am using, it just had to be. Aside from untouchable levels of stealth that I can gain from this archetype, I can pick up a rogue talent at lv6, and this matters a lot since I can use this to gain access to an akashic feat to gain an essence pool or a veil to shape.
With Warlord, I will be getting my CHA to my flanking bonus, one save due to a tactical presence I will have up, and later on at lv8, my aid another bonus as well.

So that is my core class, but I am considering taking a 1 level dip into Zealot so I can aid another myself as a move action to later on gain my CHA to hit for my next attack. If I am flanking when I do this, that is twice my CHA to attack. With mythic, I wont ever be able to miss for any reason outside of concealment. That may be overkill, but I dont need to use both if its not needed after all. Further more, being able to aid my allies at range will help out too.
It may push me back 1 level for my PrC, but looking at what I get out of it, I think that is a fair trade. Thoughts on this are welcome.

So the PrC I am looking at paints me the picture of a samurai, or someone that follows the way of the sword. With all of DSP's content on the table and even some 3pp content, this really opens up some wild build ideas, but I think I am going to go baseline here and go for one cut, one kill.
In order to achieve this, I need a few things. The first is power attack, and most of all - MYTHIC power attack. The katana is an easy weapon to crit with, most of all when I swing the thing for several attacks worth of damage in a single blow. The second is Mithral Current and Mithral Current style feat chain. I would not be a very good swordmaster if I did not master the art of the draw, and striking the first blow for 50% more damage is always nice.
Lastly, there is a magic item called the Mithral Rose. It allows any attack I do to be treated as if it was silver - allowing me to have 2 material types on my weapon effectively, so I am thinking about going addy+silver over cold iron+ silver.

So you can see that my concept for offense is amazing, but this build has a couple weak points to it.
The first is that ranged and flying types will be annoying for me to handle. I will need to either use a ranged strike, or close distance rapidly to deal with them.
The second is defense. This is so heavily focused on offense, that I have little room for extra defense. I figure I can get about 11 ac from armor, 2 from dodge bonus from SFC, and that is about it. thoughts and opinions on defense options would be most helpful.

Race wise, I am honestly looking at human for the 2 bonus feats I can get from lv1 and the lv6fcb. If not that, there is this orc/troll thing in Bloodforged that also looks fun to play, but it just does not mesh with the personality I have envisioned for this guy. Other race suggestions are welcome, but its quite hard to top human.

Lastly, I am looking at picking up lunge, and perhaps the vital strike line. I would go zenith strike line of strikes, but they are not attack rolls, and that opens up a whole slue of issues with this build, that and my 7th PrC level comes with one of the best strikes in the game. Other feat suggestions are welcome, and remember, I can upgrade them to mythic feats when I get my tiers.

Thoughts? Ideas? Flaws?