PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Inspired Archer [Base Class - Divine Archer]

gooddragon1
2017-07-30, 01:38 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Shimeran
2017-07-31, 05:51 AM
So damage wise by level 20 we'd be looking at about 3d6 damage, x3 for a Decisive shot? Does that get all the normal enhancement bonuses and such from the bow as well as feat bonuses like weapon expertise?

A couple ideas did occur to me on reading. First off, the teleport brought to mind the idea of shooting an arrow the carries you with it. In effect, I imagine you'd vanish on releasing it and could shatter the arrow at any point in it's flight path to reappear. If you don't, you'd reappear where the arrow strikes. I'd likely make that a non-damaging shot but let you fire it as a move action. Functionally it would be similar to a teleport with the condition that it doesn't let you bypass barriers.

Another thing that occurred to me is you could tie the damage type of the arrow to the domains chosen. I understand that could potentially balloon out a bit, but it does seem thematically appropriate.

gooddragon1
2017-07-31, 07:16 AM
So damage wise by level 20 we'd be looking at about 3d6 damage, x3 for a Decisive shot? Does that get all the normal enhancement bonuses and such from the bow as well as feat bonuses like weapon expertise?

A couple ideas did occur to me on reading. First off, the teleport brought to mind the idea of shooting an arrow the carries you with it. In effect, I imagine you'd vanish on releasing it and could shatter the arrow at any point in it's flight path to reappear. If you don't, you'd reappear where the arrow strikes. I'd likely make that a non-damaging shot but let you fire it as a move action. Functionally it would be similar to a teleport with the condition that it doesn't let you bypass barriers.

Another thing that occurred to me is you could tie the damage type of the arrow to the domains chosen. I understand that could potentially balloon out a bit, but it does seem thematically appropriate.

I do like that arrow idea, but it's meant to get you out of grapples without giving you immunity to grapples. I'd do it otherwise because it's much more interesting than just a teleport. I'm just not sure about losing the ability to give a get out of grapple free teleport.

As for the damage type, it's untyped so that you don't have to worry about DR or resistance, but your idea sounds more reasonable to make the damage a bit easier to block. Perhaps half the damage dealt could be untyped and the other half is based on your domain (you only get one), but I have no idea how you would pick a damage type for a domain like the animal domain or good domain?

Shimeran
2017-08-01, 09:54 PM
Well if you wanted to make a specifically anti-grapple ability you could have a rebuke, skill boost, or directed teleport (ex. away from the target) triggered by being grabbed. My impression was that the feature as a whole was about speed. If it's supposed to me more about elusiveness I can see how that matches up.

As for damage types, good isn't all that hard as aligned damage exists. Animal is messier as that's no "fling a squirrel at them" damage type. That's part of the messy bit. It seems very appropriate for a storm god to grant lightning arrows for example, but there's a ridiculous number of domains and trying to map them all could drive one mad. Maybe just offering the choice of type at first level would be better, much like with Channel Energy. On a related note, that untyped damage might not be a bad option to hold for later levels as being irresistible is an impressive bonus that's usually only showing up around deity level. Maybe make the 1st d6 typed and make those later added dice untyped to make them that much more impressive.

gooddragon1
2017-08-02, 05:31 AM
Well if you wanted to make a specifically anti-grapple ability you could have a rebuke, skill boost, or directed teleport (ex. away from the target) triggered by being grabbed. My impression was that the feature as a whole was about speed. If it's supposed to me more about elusiveness I can see how that matches up.

As for damage types, good isn't all that hard as aligned damage exists. Animal is messier as that's no "fling a squirrel at them" damage type. That's part of the messy bit. It seems very appropriate for a storm god to grant lightning arrows for example, but there's a ridiculous number of domains and trying to map them all could drive one mad. Maybe just offering the choice of type at first level would be better, much like with Channel Energy. On a related note, that untyped damage might not be a bad option to hold for later levels as being irresistible is an impressive bonus that's usually only showing up around deity level. Maybe make the 1st d6 typed and make those later added dice untyped to make them that much more impressive.

Going to go with the choose your own energy type for the first d6. Extra math slows down combat even more and this works out well enough in damage control.

EDIT: Finished the fluff too. Admittedly I wasn't as... inspired :P with the fluff