PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Inspired Archer [Base Class - Divine Archer]

gooddragon1
2017-07-30, 01:38 AM
The Inspired Archer

An inspired archer is a marksman who combines their faith with their prowess to augment their abilities even further. They spread their views as a cleric would while also providing their organization (if any) with a capable warrior.

Adventures: An inspired archer's reasons for adventuring are mostly drawn from their desire to improve both their skills and themselves.

Characteristics: An inspired archer is the back line combatant who usually provides supporting magic after the battle. They tend to be individuals who prefer to evaluate a combat from a distance and then act as opportunities arise.

Alignment: An inspired archer can be of any alignment, but as with clerics it is generally determined by their faith.

Religion: An inspired archer can worship a deity or not as a cleric would, but given how their craft focuses on combat they tend to be from faiths or ideals that have some connection to martial prowess.

Background: An inspired archer is usually comfortable with using a bow from a young age, but it is possible for them to be trained through their order.

Races: Races that are known for using bows, such as elves, are especially likely to produce inspired archers.

Game Rule Information:
Inspired Archers have the following game statistics.
Ability Scores: Inspired archers are marksmen and thus naturally require a high dexterity score to be efficient in combat. Wisdom determines how effective an inspired archer with spellcasting and Constitution can help them as it would any other martial character. Strength has less use for an inspired archer than other archers, but can be useful in some circumstances.
Alignment: Any
Hit Dice: d8.
Starting Wealth: As fighter.
Starting Age: As fighter.

Class Skills:
The inspired archer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (Arcana)(Int), Knowledge (Religion)(Int), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

The Inspired Archer

Saves

Spells Per Day

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
1st
2nd
3rd
4th

1st
+1
+0
+2
+2
Domain access, faith arrow 1d6, footsteps of the divine
—
—
—
—

2nd
+2
+0
+3
+3
—
—
—
—
—

3rd
+3
+1
+3
+3
—
—
—
—
—

4th
+4
+1
+4
+4
Imbue Arrow
—
—
—

5th
+5
+1
+4
+4
Footsteps of the divine +10 ft
—
—
—

6th
+6/+1
+2
+5
+5
Decisive shot x2
—
—
—

7th
+7/+2
+2
+5
+5
Imbue Arrow - Harmless
—
—
—

8th
+8/+3
+2
+6
+6
—
—
—

9th
+9/+4
+3
+6
+6
Faith arrow 2d6
—
—

10th
+10/+5
+3
+7
+7
Footsteps of the divine - teleport
—
—

11th
+11/+6/+1
+3
+7
+7
Imbue Arrow - vs Spell Resist
—

12th
+12/+7/+2
+4
+8
+8
—
—

13th
+13/+8/+3
+4
+8
+8
—
—

14th
+14/+9/+4
+4
+9
+9
—

15th
+15/+10/+5
+5
+9
+9
Footsteps of the divine +20 ft

16th
+16/+11/+6/+1
+5
+10
+10
Decisive shot x3

17th
+17/+12/+7/+2
+5
+10
+10
Faith arrow 3d6

18th
+18/+13/+8/+3
+6
+11
+11
—

19th
+19/+14/+9/+4
+6
+11
+11
—

20th
+20/+15/+10/+5
+6
+12
+12
Footsteps of the divine - tumble

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

Inspired archers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light armor, and with bucklers.

Faith Arrow (Su)

An inspired archer may nock an arrow created from divine inspiration channeled through their holy symbol that lasts until released. At 1st level, a faith arrow deals 1d6 damage to a target struck by it. The arrow itself is supernatural and does not add strength to it's damage. The type of the first 1d6 of damage is chosen by the inspired archer (acid, cold, electricity, or fire) at 1st level and cannot be changed thereafter. Subsequent damage dice added later by this ability are untyped damage (once at least 1d6 of untyped damage is accrued, the inspired archer may choose to suppress the energy damage they chose for any attacks they choose). A faith arrow is otherwise similar to a regular arrow for all other purposes. At 9th level and every 8 levels thereafter, the damage dealt by a faith arrow increases by 1d6.

Domain Access

An inspired archer picks a cleric domain that represents their ideals at 1st level. They gain access to the domain granted ability. If a granted ability references cleric level his inspired archer level is used instead. At 4th level and onwards they gain access to the spells from that domain as their spells known for the appropriate levels. An inspired archer cannot choose an alignment domain if he does not have a compatible alignment.

Footsteps of the Divine (Su and Ex)

At 1st level, for a total time per day of 1 round per inspired archer level you possess, an inspired archer can gain the benefits of the haste spell for himself only (caster level equal to inspired archer level, but duration as indicated below). This effect can be activated as a free action, lasts for 1 round, and can operate multiple times per day (up to the total daily limit of rounds). At 5th level, the inspired archer gains a 10 foot improvement to all his movement speeds which increases by 10 feet at 15th level and every 10 levels thereafter. At 10th level, as a swift action, an inspired archer may teleport to anywhere within 10 feet per round of his haste granted by this ability that he expends for this function (he may bring along items and other things as a dimension door spell cast with a caster level equal to his inspired archer level could). At 20th level, an inspired archer may tumble over any terrain and he may do so with no penalties incurred by the terrain. The movement speed increases of this ability not from haste, ability to tumble in any terrain, and ability to ignore terrain penalties are extraordinary abilities.

Imbue Arrow (Su)

At 4th level, as a standard action regardless of casting time, an inspired archer may imbue a faith arrow with a spell that can be used on an area or that can affect a creature other than himself. The target struck by this arrow is then affected by the spell in addition to the damage the faith arrow would ordinarily deal. If the spell would deal damage, the inspired archer may substitute his faith arrow damage in place of the ordinary damage of the spell (again in addition to the normal faith arrow damage). An inspired archer may also pair this ability with his decisive shot as a full round action in the case of damage dealing spells. If the spell has an area effect it affects all creatures in it's area where it stops, but cannot affect a creature struck by it again even if they succeeded in resisting it in some fashion (such as by a saving throw). A creature that would be struck by this arrow if it were a touch attack is not damaged by the arrow itself, but may be affected by the spell. Furthermore, the creature struck by this arrow is not afforded spell resistance against it and the saving throw DC (if any) becomes 10 + Inspired Archer Class Level + Wisdom Modifier.

At 7th level, an inspired archer may choose to forgo the faith arrow damage dealt to a struck target (usually done for healing purposes).

At 11th level, an inspired archer adds his class level to his caster level for the purpose of overcoming spell resistance with imbued area spells.

Spells

Beginning at 4th level, an inspired archer gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells, which are drawn from the cleric spell list. An inspired archer must choose and prepare his spells in advance.

To prepare or cast a spell, an inspired archer must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an inspired archer’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the inspired archer’s Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, an inspired archer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Inspired Archer. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score. When Table: The Inspired Archer that the inspired archer gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Wisdom score for that spell level. The inspired archer may prepare domain spells and the granted power from his chosen domain as mentioned above.

An inspired archer prepares and casts spells the way a cleric does, though he cannot lose a prepared spell to spontaneously cast a cure spell in its place. An inspired archer may prepare and cast any spell on the cleric spell list, provided that he can cast spells of that level, but he must choose which spells to prepare during his daily meditation.

Through 3rd level, an inspired archer has no caster level. At 4th level and higher, his caster level is one-half his inspired archer level.

Decisive Shot (Ex)

At 6th level, an inspired archer may make a single shot with a knack for effectiveness. As a standard action, an inspired archer may make a ranged attack with a bow that deals double damage (damage dice are not multiplied except for weapon damage dice and imbued arrow spell damage dice). At 16th level and every ten levels thereafter, the damage multiplier is increased by 1 (3x at 16th, 4x at 26th, etc.). If an inspired archer takes a full round action instead of a standard action (not in combination with imbued arrow), they may add 1 point of bonus damage to this attack for every 5 inspired archer levels they have (before the multiplier which will affect this extra damage). This ability does not apply the death from massive damage rule.

===

Mechanical Note: This class is meant to be used with a bow, but it is possible for a DM to allow it's use with other ranged ammunition using weapons such as crossbows.

I know that footsteps of the divine is also a spell.

Shimeran
2017-07-31, 05:51 AM
So damage wise by level 20 we'd be looking at about 3d6 damage, x3 for a Decisive shot? Does that get all the normal enhancement bonuses and such from the bow as well as feat bonuses like weapon expertise?

A couple ideas did occur to me on reading. First off, the teleport brought to mind the idea of shooting an arrow the carries you with it. In effect, I imagine you'd vanish on releasing it and could shatter the arrow at any point in it's flight path to reappear. If you don't, you'd reappear where the arrow strikes. I'd likely make that a non-damaging shot but let you fire it as a move action. Functionally it would be similar to a teleport with the condition that it doesn't let you bypass barriers.

Another thing that occurred to me is you could tie the damage type of the arrow to the domains chosen. I understand that could potentially balloon out a bit, but it does seem thematically appropriate.

gooddragon1
2017-07-31, 07:16 AM
So damage wise by level 20 we'd be looking at about 3d6 damage, x3 for a Decisive shot? Does that get all the normal enhancement bonuses and such from the bow as well as feat bonuses like weapon expertise?

A couple ideas did occur to me on reading. First off, the teleport brought to mind the idea of shooting an arrow the carries you with it. In effect, I imagine you'd vanish on releasing it and could shatter the arrow at any point in it's flight path to reappear. If you don't, you'd reappear where the arrow strikes. I'd likely make that a non-damaging shot but let you fire it as a move action. Functionally it would be similar to a teleport with the condition that it doesn't let you bypass barriers.

Another thing that occurred to me is you could tie the damage type of the arrow to the domains chosen. I understand that could potentially balloon out a bit, but it does seem thematically appropriate.

I do like that arrow idea, but it's meant to get you out of grapples without giving you immunity to grapples. I'd do it otherwise because it's much more interesting than just a teleport. I'm just not sure about losing the ability to give a get out of grapple free teleport.

As for the damage type, it's untyped so that you don't have to worry about DR or resistance, but your idea sounds more reasonable to make the damage a bit easier to block. Perhaps half the damage dealt could be untyped and the other half is based on your domain (you only get one), but I have no idea how you would pick a damage type for a domain like the animal domain or good domain?

Shimeran
2017-08-01, 09:54 PM
Well if you wanted to make a specifically anti-grapple ability you could have a rebuke, skill boost, or directed teleport (ex. away from the target) triggered by being grabbed. My impression was that the feature as a whole was about speed. If it's supposed to me more about elusiveness I can see how that matches up.

As for damage types, good isn't all that hard as aligned damage exists. Animal is messier as that's no "fling a squirrel at them" damage type. That's part of the messy bit. It seems very appropriate for a storm god to grant lightning arrows for example, but there's a ridiculous number of domains and trying to map them all could drive one mad. Maybe just offering the choice of type at first level would be better, much like with Channel Energy. On a related note, that untyped damage might not be a bad option to hold for later levels as being irresistible is an impressive bonus that's usually only showing up around deity level. Maybe make the 1st d6 typed and make those later added dice untyped to make them that much more impressive.

gooddragon1
2017-08-02, 05:31 AM
Well if you wanted to make a specifically anti-grapple ability you could have a rebuke, skill boost, or directed teleport (ex. away from the target) triggered by being grabbed. My impression was that the feature as a whole was about speed. If it's supposed to me more about elusiveness I can see how that matches up.

As for damage types, good isn't all that hard as aligned damage exists. Animal is messier as that's no "fling a squirrel at them" damage type. That's part of the messy bit. It seems very appropriate for a storm god to grant lightning arrows for example, but there's a ridiculous number of domains and trying to map them all could drive one mad. Maybe just offering the choice of type at first level would be better, much like with Channel Energy. On a related note, that untyped damage might not be a bad option to hold for later levels as being irresistible is an impressive bonus that's usually only showing up around deity level. Maybe make the 1st d6 typed and make those later added dice untyped to make them that much more impressive.

Going to go with the choose your own energy type for the first d6. Extra math slows down combat even more and this works out well enough in damage control.

EDIT: Finished the fluff too. Admittedly I wasn't as... inspired :P with the fluff