PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder I need help with building a spontaneous healbot-buffer

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-07-30, 06:07 AM
Hello guys,

I can't find a 3.5e game so I went looking for a PF one.

I want to play a spontaneous caster that will take the rule of the heal-bot and the buffer(I will like to add some summons).

I am not familiar with PF class and feats(I also heard something about arc typed I didn't understand).

I will like to get some suggestions for class and feats and an explanation about arctypes.

Thank you all for always helping me :)

Florian
2017-07-30, 06:37 AM
An archetype is something like a template that you apply to a class to modify it.

Look at a Human Oracle, Pei-Zin Practitioner archetype, Life Mystery.

Explanation: Oracle is a CHA-based spontaneous divine caster. Life Mystery gives Lifelink as an option that lets you transfer hp to allies, Pei-Zin gives access to a variant of Ley on Hands and Mercy that you can use as swift action to heal yourself up. You can focus on buffs/summons as spells known, as a good Oracle gains the full "Cure" line of spells as spells known for free why Life gets you most relevant curative spells. (As you donīt like Paladins, Pei-Zin is an alternative to the regular Oradin build normally recommended for healing)

Feats:
Summoning Block is simple: Spell Focus: Conjuration > Augmented Summons > Summon Good Creature.
Combat Block is simple, too: Combat Reflexes
Utility: Extend Spell > Seeker of the Eternal Emperor, Prophetic Visionary > Divination Guide
Human bonus feat and possible ART: Fey Foundling, Heart of the Fey ART

Edit: Basics here: http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Classes.aspx?Class=Oracle

the_david
2017-07-30, 06:46 AM
Oracle with the life mystery is what you're asking for.

Now healing isn't the best tactic to focus on. One of the best healers is a paladin oracle multiclass using the life linke revelation in combination with lay on hands. You essentially give up your own hit points to heal your allies constantly, then you heal yourself with a swift action. I think this is referred to as an oradin.

You might also be able to use variant multiclassing (Pathfinder Unchained) to get this result. In this case you would give up some feats to get class abilities from one class so you can focus on the other. Another good variant multiclass would be cleric with the cavalier. If you take the order of the star for the cavalier you'd get a pretty good channel energy ability that would exceed that of a regular cleric, although you wouldn't have access to spontaneous spellcasting.
If you want to dive into third party material there's Spheres of Power which is a substitute for vancian spellcasting. It's more spontaneous than spontaneous spellcasting and you can just choose the life sphere and some of the talents, along with some other spheres.

I hope this helps. As you're just starting with Pathfinder this might be a bit too much. If that's the case you should just go with my first suggestion as it's the most straightforward.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-07-30, 07:35 AM
An archetype is something like a template that you apply to a class to modify it.

Look at a Human Oracle, Pei-Zin Practitioner archetype, Life Mystery.
Thank you :)
Where can I look at them?

Oracle with the life mystery is what you're asking for.

Now healing isn't the best tactic to focus on. One of the best healers is a paladin oracle multiclass using the life linke revelation in combination with lay on hands. You essentially give up your own hit points to heal your allies constantly, then you heal yourself with a swift action. I think this is referred to as an oradin.

You might also be able to use variant multiclassing (Pathfinder Unchained) to get this result. In this case you would give up some feats to get class abilities from one class so you can focus on the other. Another good variant multiclass would be cleric with the cavalier. If you take the order of the star for the cavalier you'd get a pretty good channel energy ability that would exceed that of a regular cleric, although you wouldn't have access to spontaneous spellcasting.
If you want to dive into third party material there's Spheres of Power which is a substitute for vancian spellcasting. It's more spontaneous than spontaneous spellcasting and you can just choose the life sphere and some of the talents, along with some other spheres.

I hope this helps. As you're just starting with Pathfinder this might be a bit too much. If that's the case you should just go with my first suggestion as it's the most straightforward.
You gave me some class options and for this thank you but I need some feat that will work with the healing-buffing-summoning stuff, I don't know the PF feats or where to look for them.

BTW:
I will never be a Paladin or a prepared caster, just my lessons from previous games.

Florian
2017-07-30, 07:56 AM

Edited my post to give you some more hints and a link to the rules.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-30, 08:53 AM
I dunno about books, but if you use the online SRD, you just need to scroll down the class entry and there will be a big table. Here's the Oracle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/), and lower down you'll find their Archetypes. (Pai-zen Practictioner, as far as I can tell, is listed as Divine Herbalist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/archetypes/paizo-oracle-archetypes/divine-herbalist/) on this site-- probably a setting thing, like how d20srd has "Mage's Disjunction.")

You gave me some class options and for this thank you but I need some feat that will work with the healing-buffing-summoning stuff, I don't know the PF feats or where to look for them.
More feats than you can shake a stick at (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/feat-tree)! It might be worth playing with the filters for General (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/general-feats-filter/) and Combat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/combat-feats-filter/) feats.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-07-30, 09:34 AM
Edited my post to give you some more hints and a link to the rules.

I dunno about books, but if you use the online SRD, you just need to scroll down the class entry and there will be a big table. Here's the Oracle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/), and lower down you'll find their Archetypes. (Pai-zen Practictioner, as far as I can tell, is listed as Divine Herbalist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/archetypes/paizo-oracle-archetypes/divine-herbalist/) on this site-- probably a setting thing, like how d20srd has "Mage's Disjunction.")

More feats than you can shake a stick at (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/feat-tree)! It might be worth playing with the filters for General (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/general-feats-filter/) and Combat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/combat-feats-filter/) feats.
Nice, that was what I needed :)

the_david
2017-07-30, 12:14 PM

BTW:
I will never be a Paladin or a prepared caster, just my lessons from previous games.Apparently you don't need to play a Paladin. The suggested archetype (Paizen Practitioner/Divine Herbalist) gets lay on hands, which is the Paladin ability you need without the nasty code. It's the Oradin without the Paladin. The suggested tactic is still using life link to heal your allies then using lay on hands to heal yourself. Charisma is important to you because of your spellcasting and Constitution is important because you'll need all the hit points you can get. Toughness would be a good feat because it gives you an extra HP per level. You can also take Extra Lay on Hands as one of your feats. (Multiple times, if that's what you want.) My suggestion for your favored class bonus would be either the extra hit points or the extra spells known if you go human. A gnome would make a pretty good oracle too, with a +2 bonus on constitution and charisma.

An oracle is basically a divine sorcerer with access to the cleric spell list. Your spells will be limited about as much as a sorcerer, but I think you should be able to handle that.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-07-30, 12:23 PM
Apparently you don't need to play a Paladin. The suggested archetype (Paizen Practitioner/Divine Herbalist) gets lay on hands, which is the Paladin ability you need without the nasty code. It's the Oradin without the Paladin. The suggested tactic is still using life link to heal your allies then using lay on hands to heal yourself. Charisma is important to you because of your spellcasting and Constitution is important because you'll need all the hit points you can get. Toughness would be a good feat because it gives you an extra HP per level. You can also take Extra Lay on Hands as one of your feats. (Multiple times, if that's what you want.) My suggestion for your favored class bonus would be either the extra hit points or the extra spells known if you go human. A gnome would make a pretty good oracle too, with a +2 bonus on constitution and charisma.

An oracle is basically a divine sorcerer with access to the cleric spell list. Your spells will be limited about as much as a sorcerer, but I think you should be able to handle that.
I think it will be fine, I just need to choose my spells(One of the things I am bad at, but I do have some time).

Isn't there something like the persistent lesser vigor mass DMM I can do?
I don't want to lose my HP in order to heal.

EDIT:
I think I was asking for to much, I just want a way to be super cheesey about healing without using my HP.

Florian
2017-07-30, 12:26 PM
Isn't there something like the persistent lesser vigor mass DMM I can do?
I don't want to lose my HP in order to heal.

No, there isnīt. And get used to it, only way to summon, heal and fight at the same time.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-07-30, 01:01 PM
No, there isnīt. And get used to it, only way to summon, heal and fight at the same time.

I don't want to fight, why do you think I want to summon and buff and heal?

I just want to stand in the back and make sure my friends are at full HP all the time and have no status affect on them.

Something like vow of non violent can work on me if there is something like it in PF.

I am willing to take any hit to attack and damage in order to be the perfect heal-bot.

summoning and healing is all I want, I don't need to fight if this help me get what I want.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-30, 02:32 PM
There is, actually-- Life Link plus a pair of Boots of the Earth (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Boots%20of%20t he%20Earth) let you easily top everyone off between fights and without using up daily resources. (The boots give you fast healing 1 for 5,000 gold; you transfer their damage to you with Life Link, then break the link and heal up)

In any case, a Divine Herbalist Life Oracle will be pretty dang effective at healing, while still having almost all their spell slots open for other stuff.

Florian
2017-07-30, 02:36 PM
There is, actually

Not at the same level as the "permanent fast healing aura" that was asked about.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-07-30, 02:45 PM
There is, actually-- Life Link plus a pair of Boots of the Earth (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Boots%20of%20t he%20Earth) let you easily top everyone off between fights and without using up daily resources. (The boots give you fast healing 1 for 5,000 gold; you transfer their damage to you with Life Link, then break the link and heal up)

In any case, a Divine Herbalist Life Oracle will be pretty dang effective at healing, while still having almost all their spell slots open for other stuff.

That sounds good, now I only need to find some good healing, any status affects and buff spells and cheese them to the max :)
(no one in my group care about super optimize heal-bot, it will make them happy and that is the best way to play for me, making my friends happy)

Summon spells should be easy to use because I don't want to fully optimize them.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-07-30, 03:49 PM
What about the WarpShaman?

You indicated in the last thread that you don't like playing Paladins, but the OraDin build is the best combat healer around. So what if we could do that without any Paladin levels?

Basically, take as many levels in Unsworn Shaman as you have party members/pets you want to heal. Then go the rest of the way as a Warpriest with your choice of archetypes/blessings (as long as they keep Fervor).

If starting at level 1 you'll basically be an armored utility Witch, preferably with Slumber and Healing Hex (through Minor Spirit). If your DM reads Extra Hex for Unsworn Shaman as granting another Minor Spirit, that's great and important to note but not vital. As soon as you start taking Warpriest levels though, you're really in business. You can now heal or buff yourself as a Swift, which is great because Life Link from the Life Spirit should be up at all times, passively patching up your allies while you do whatever (including casting buff spells!)

Plus you get to call yourself a Warp Shaman. How cool is that name?

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-07-30, 04:13 PM
What about the WarpShaman?

You indicated in the last thread that you don't like playing Paladins, but the OraDin build is the best combat healer around. So what if we could do that without any Paladin levels?

Basically, take as many levels in Unsworn Shaman as you have party members/pets you want to heal. Then go the rest of the way as a Warpriest with your choice of archetypes/blessings (as long as they keep Fervor).

If starting at level 1 you'll basically be an armored utility Witch, preferably with Slumber and Healing Hex (through Minor Spirit). If your DM reads Extra Hex for Unsworn Shaman as granting another Minor Spirit, that's great and important to note but not vital. As soon as you start taking Warpriest levels though, you're really in business. You can now heal or buff yourself as a Swift, which is great because Life Link from the Life Spirit should be up at all times, passively patching up your allies while you do whatever (including casting buff spells!)

Plus you get to call yourself a Warp Shaman. How cool is that name?
That sounds nice, I will check it out tomorrow like all the other stuff from this thread (no time for it now).

I hope I will not need to prepare spells, I never do it well and it will hurt the power level.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-07-30, 05:03 PM
Both classes do prepare spells Cleric-style, but Hexes, Sacred Weapon, and Life Link+Fervor are better together than some classes' whole kits, so the spells are mostly gravy. Pick some good buffs plus whatever sounds fun/useful each morning and you should be good

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-07-31, 12:31 AM
Both classes do prepare spells Cleric-style, but Hexes, Sacred Weapon, and Life Link+Fervor are better together than some classes' whole kits, so the spells are mostly gravy. Pick some good buffs plus whatever sounds fun/useful each morning and you should be good

Do you know this guy that is not allowed to play a Paladin?
I am the guy that is not allowed to play a Paladin and any prepared caster(I don't say it for fun, this is a fact).

Fun fact:
We have two guys that are not allowed to play Paladins.

grarrrg
2017-07-31, 02:23 AM
Link to the Oradin Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257365-PF-Oradin-Mini-Guide-Or-How-to-be-a-Healbot-minus-the-bot) (out of date, but has a lot of random bits that might be useful).

I just want to stand in the back and make sure my friends are at full HP all the time and have no status affect on them....I don't want to lose my HP in order to heal.
EDIT:
I think I was asking for to much, I just want a way to be super cheesey about healing without using my HP.
This being Pathfinder, most of the "super cheesey" stuff doesn't exist.

As for Life Link "using your HP to heal others", you're missing some benefits, the most important being that most Cure/healing spells are Touch-Range. Meaning you'll generally have to spend a Move action and then a Standard to cast something. Moving too close to the front puts you in harms way.
Life Link heals others without them needing to be in Touch-range of you most of the time, and keeps you in the back of the group/away from danger.

It's also easier to boost healing effects on yourself than it is to boost everyone. A prime example is Fey Foundling (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/fey-foundling/) feat. Whenever you are healed, you get an extra +2 HP _per die_ of the healing effect. This is roughly "free Empower" on all healing effects on yourself.
If you go the Divine Herbalist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/archetypes/paizo-oracle-archetypes/divine-herbalist/)(/Pei Zin Practitioner) route to pick up "Lay on Hands", then you not only empower your self-Lay on Hands, but you can use it as a Swift action, leaving your Move+Standard free to do what you want.

To summarize: Life Link everyone > Everybody (except you) heals for 5 HP/round, and this is NOT touch range, you can be a fair distance away
Then, as a Swift action, you heal yourself (when needed). Leaving your Move+Standard available to do whatever else > more healing, summoning, Channeling, etc...

So basically, by spending a Swift Action, you can heal everyone in the group for 5 HP/round.

Firest Kathon
2017-07-31, 04:08 AM
Is your group open to good 3rd-party material? If psionics is allowed, check out the Vitalist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist/)class. They are able to channel their psionic powers through their collective (telepathic network between allies).

Florian
2017-07-31, 04:30 AM
I don't want to fight, why do you think I want to summon and buff and heal?

I just want to stand in the back and make sure my friends are at full HP all the time and have no status affect on them.

Something like vow of non violent can work on me if there is something like it in PF.

I am willing to take any hit to attack and damage in order to be the perfect heal-bot.

summoning and healing is all I want, I don't need to fight if this help me get what I want.

With "fight", I mean take active action, either cast spells or use a weapon.

Notice that things like Divine Meta Magic donīt exist anymore and Turn/Rebuke Undead got replaced by the very useful Channel Energy, which is an AoE heal/harm blast centered on you and scaling along the rogue sneak attack progression (1d6 - 10d6).

The Life Link / Lay on Hands combo gives a very good passive healing backbone, but you still have to get in pretty close when you do have to go for mass healing. Keep in mind that Combat Healer, Enhanced Cures and removing status effects with Master Healing Technique also need you to be in touch range.

Unlike regular Cleric builds, it makes absolute sense to go full-out Charisma and casting on an Oracle.

Take a look at spells like Chains of Light, Greater Angelic Aspect, Archonīs Trumpet and Archonīs Aura besides the usual standbys of Bless, Shield of Faith, Heroism, Prayer and Blessing of Fervor.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-07-31, 06:02 AM
Link to the Oradin Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257365-PF-Oradin-Mini-Guide-Or-How-to-be-a-Healbot-minus-the-bot) (out of date, but has a lot of random bits that might be useful).

This being Pathfinder, most of the "super cheesey" stuff doesn't exist.

As for Life Link "using your HP to heal others", you're missing some benefits, the most important being that most Cure/healing spells are Touch-Range. Meaning you'll generally have to spend a Move action and then a Standard to cast something. Moving too close to the front puts you in harms way.
Life Link heals others without them needing to be in Touch-range of you most of the time, and keeps you in the back of the group/away from danger.

It's also easier to boost healing effects on yourself than it is to boost everyone. A prime example is Fey Foundling (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/fey-foundling/) feat. Whenever you are healed, you get an extra +2 HP _per die_ of the healing effect. This is roughly "free Empower" on all healing effects on yourself.
If you go the Divine Herbalist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/archetypes/paizo-oracle-archetypes/divine-herbalist/)(/Pei Zin Practitioner) route to pick up "Lay on Hands", then you not only empower your self-Lay on Hands, but you can use it as a Swift action, leaving your Move+Standard free to do what you want.

To summarize: Life Link everyone > Everybody (except you) heals for 5 HP/round, and this is NOT touch range, you can be a fair distance away
Then, as a Swift action, you heal yourself (when needed). Leaving your Move+Standard available to do whatever else > more healing, summoning, Channeling, etc...

So basically, by spending a Swift Action, you can heal everyone in the group for 5 HP/round.
ok, that sounds good.

Is your group open to good 3rd-party material? If psionics is allowed, check out the Vitalist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist/)class. They are able to channel their psionic powers through their collective (telepathic network between allies).
I will read about it later.

With "fight", I mean take active action, either cast spells or use a weapon.

Notice that things like Divine Meta Magic donīt exist anymore and Turn/Rebuke Undead got replaced by the very useful Channel Energy, which is an AoE heal/harm blast centered on you and scaling along the rogue sneak attack progression (1d6 - 10d6).

The Life Link / Lay on Hands combo gives a very good passive healing backbone, but you still have to get in pretty close when you do have to go for mass healing. Keep in mind that Combat Healer, Enhanced Cures and removing status effects with Master Healing Technique also need you to be in touch range.

Unlike regular Cleric builds, it makes absolute sense to go full-out Charisma and casting on an Oracle.

Take a look at spells like Chains of Light, Greater Angelic Aspect, Archonīs Trumpet and Archonīs Aura besides the usual standbys of Bless, Shield of Faith, Heroism, Prayer and Blessing of Fervor.
I think I will go with that combo.