PDA

View Full Version : How should I handle this constellation?

Feuerphoenix
2017-07-30, 06:26 AM
Hey Fellas :)

my group is about to encounter an Aboleth very soon. Well under normal circumstances the Aboleth would be a devastating force, but in my world it is a little bit different. Yes it is retraining its stats, but it is acting a little bit different.

Background: this Aboleth has not always been one, but an adventurer. One day he was able to capture a Djinni, and bartered him for releasing to fulfill him one wish. His wish was to be immortal like a god. But instead of giving him simple immortality the djinni transformed him into an Aboleth, in which form he now had to stay for eternity.

If my group is able to deal with it in combat, will the Aboleth simply return human if it is killed, or will the normal effects take place and he will be reborn in the water plane?

Theodoxus
2017-07-30, 06:49 AM
Totally up to you, since it's your world, your magic.

But, given the description, since the wish was for immortality, and the djinn granted it through using an abomination that is immortal, I'd say the wish would kick in and the creature would be reborn in the plane of water. Else, the wish wouldn't be fulfilled... but that's just like, my opinion.

Sans.
2017-07-30, 08:48 AM
A constellation is a pattern of stars.

Feuerphoenix
2017-07-30, 08:57 AM
Sorry, in my language a constellation is also a theoretical construction of relations :P

xanderh
2017-07-30, 09:31 AM
Totally up to you, since it's your world, your magic.

But, given the description, since the wish was for immortality, and the djinn granted it through using an abomination that is immortal, I'd say the wish would kick in and the creature would be reborn in the plane of water. Else, the wish wouldn't be fulfilled... but that's just like, my opinion.

From what I understand, being immortal means that you cannot die of old age, not necessarily that you cannot be killed in any way. So it could really go either way.

Pick the one you feel is best, both options are perfectly valid.

Telesto
2017-07-30, 09:58 AM
That's ageless immortality. True immortality would encompass never actually dying, or being reborn. Then there is indestructable immortality

Temperjoke
2017-07-30, 10:08 AM
I'd treat it that he is an aboleth now, along with everything that goes with it, including being reborn into the Water Plane. I'd say the only thing that would change that fact would be a separate wish or wish spell.

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-30, 12:40 PM
I agree with those saying that because it's your world, its your rules. However, there are a couple of different ways that you could take this:

1) He asked for immortality like a god: he is functionally immortal, and cannot be destroyed. Therefore, he is reborn on the Plane of Water.

2) He asked for immortality like a god: He is functionally immortal only as long as he has a worshiper. Without someone believing in him, he will die (this is similar to how gods are treated in the Forgotten Realms, where 'dead' gods exist as islands in the Astral Plane).

3) He actually IS a god now, but doesn't know it: he actually reforms an avatar in a few days on the prime material plane.

4) He is only somewhat immortal, but can be killed by the players

5) He was tricked by the Djinni, and is actually just polymorphed into an Aboleth, that thinks that it is immortal.

Feuerphoenix
2017-07-30, 08:00 PM
I agree with those saying that because it's your world, its your rules. However, there are a couple of different ways that you could take this:

1) He asked for immortality like a god: he is functionally immortal, and cannot be destroyed. Therefore, he is reborn on the Plane of Water.

2) He asked for immortality like a god: He is functionally immortal only as long as he has a worshiper. Without someone believing in him, he will die (this is similar to how gods are treated in the Forgotten Realms, where 'dead' gods exist as islands in the Astral Plane).

3) He actually IS a god now, but doesn't know it: he actually reforms an avatar in a few days on the prime material plane.

4) He is only somewhat immortal, but can be killed by the players

5) He was tricked by the Djinni, and is actually just polymorphed into an Aboleth, that thinks that it is immortal.

mmh nr 1 sounds most reasonable, as the wish has to be fulfilled in a way somehow close to its description. And becoming a god is a little bit over the top for a Djinni wish :P

Kane0
2017-07-30, 09:02 PM
Seconding the rebirth option, sounds like a perfect twisted wish.

Villain: "Dragon Djinni, grant me immortality!"
Djinni: "YOUR WISH ... IS GRANTED."
Villain: *Immediately dies to hero, reborn in a random location with all memories and no capabilities*