PDA

View Full Version : (Evil?) Halfling Warlock! (Need Help In The Creation Of)

Akennedy
2007-08-08, 11:15 PM
Okay, here's the game plan - Soon I am to play in a new campaign and I want to play a evil halfling warlock. Personally I just think it'll be fun! A houserule we made for the warlock is the ability to use as many eldritch blasts = the amount of attacks you can make via BAB.
(for shape and essence invocations, they both can be applied but to two separate blasts. In other words, you cannot eldritch doom and utterdark blast, unless you just want to shoot just one blast.)
I would like some suggestions on how to play him (I;m thinking about taking MWP Greatsword just to have a good laugh and take hideous blow, or some other ridiculous weapon to make him a funny character. However, also, I want him to be effective. So, what are some good feats for a warlock? Are there any good prestige classes for a warlock to wants to retain his fighting ability?

and one last question - are there any other invocations out there? And is there a good way to homebrew them, because just mimicing arcane spells doesn't fit the flavor. Anyways, any and all help would be appreciated! thank you!

SurlySeraph
2007-08-08, 11:23 PM
If you want to get full use out of Hideous Blow, you'll be wanting to fall back on halfling racial bonuses. Namely, pump dexterity and take Weapon Finesse. Hellfire Warlock is about the only Warlock PrC I can think of off the top of my head, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a very dedicated cleric (whenever the Hellfire Warlock uses its primary ability, it gets hit with constitution drain. You need someone who can spam Lesser Restoration to be halfway effective as one). Other than that, I'll defer to those who know Warlocks better than I do.

Raolin_Fenix
2007-08-08, 11:32 PM
A houserule we made for the warlock is the ability to use as many eldritch blasts = the amount of attacks you can make via BAB.

HOLY CRAP. Your DM just gave you one Win. Seriously -- at 20th level, the Warlock is looking at 9d6 damage base; add another 8d6 to that (over time) if you use Vitriolic Blast, or maximize it -- OR BOTH! So already you're looking at 17d6 (average 51) damage, or else a guaranteed 54 damage three times per day -- or else if you maximize Vitriolic Blast, a guaranteed 102 damage per hit! Three times per turn! Four with Haste! Five with Quicken Spell-Like Ability! AS RANGED TOUCH ATTACKS. Holy crap!

Well. Apart from the Metaspell-like-ability feats that you will want to take, it's also a good idea to take Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot (don't want to go hitting your stupid allies, who foolishly engage your enemies in melee combat). After that? Extra Invocation, Extra Invocation, Extra Invocation, Extra Invocation, Extra Invocation, Extra Invocation et cetera ad nauseum.

Oh, you'll probably want an item-creation feat or two, as well. Craft: Wand can go a long way for your Imbue Item class ability once you get it. So beautiful.

Just don't fall into the trap of spending all your invocations on damage-dealers and blast shapes and such. The 24-hour buffs are awesome. Greater Invisibility forever, +6 bonuses to certain skill checks, Dark One's On Luck (Charisma bonus to the save of your choice!), permanent See Invisibility and Darkvision, permanent flight, Dimension Door at will (leaving behind a Major Image for a round!), Sending to your allies whenever you want, permanent Foresight, Shadow-Walk at will... well, those are my choices. Without the Extra Invocation feat (several times), you can only have a dozen. Just be careful what you pick.

As for playing style? As a Warlock, you're Batman. You're even more Batman than the wizard. You're actually Batman, because Batman just pumps himself up and goes ahead and does everything himself. You can be everything Batman is: you can be sneaky, stealthy, scary, chick-magnetic, tricky, insightful, and with Craft and Use Magic Device as class skills, you can make your own freakin' utility belt. Seriously, there's virtually nothing anyone else can do that you can't replicate. You may not always be as good at it as they are, but you're still pretty amazing. If your halfling warlock isn't a cocky, self-confident little punk (and has every right to be) in-game, you're doing something wrong. :P

As far as Hideous Blow goes, I wouldn't. It's too hotly debated a subject, and your DM may or may not gimp it. It's not all that great anyway.

ZeroNumerous
2007-08-08, 11:38 PM
Geekgasm

Dude, chill. It's just damage. :smallcool:

Gralamin
2007-08-08, 11:46 PM
Sending to your allies whenever you want

You actually use that? That hurts you I believe.

Raolin_Fenix
2007-08-08, 11:51 PM
You actually use that? That hurts you I believe.

Can hurt you, if your target is unwilling to receive the message. If it's to an ally who does want to receive the message (or even an enemy who isn't averse to hearing you taunt him), you're okay. If they're unwilling to get the message, they get a Will save, and if they succeed, they can turn it back on you for small amounts of damage. By "small amounts," I mean 1d10. By the time you're getting Greater Invocations, that's not much.

"Geekgasm"

Dude, chill. It's just damage.

Yeah, I get excited. If you can't tell, I love warlocks (mostly because my DM hates them with a fiery passion).

RTGoodman
2007-08-09, 12:17 AM
And one last question - are there any other invocations out there?

The only places I know of that have invocations are Complete Arcane and (I think) Complete Mage as well. I think that Dragon Magic may have some (but I just flipped through the book one time), and whatever book has the Hellfire Warlock in it (Fiendish Codex II) probably has some.

Zincorium
2007-08-09, 02:53 AM
Hideous blow is terrible. It's even worse if you can get multiple attacks with your normal, ranged blast. First off, you provoke an attack of opportunity still. Any enemies around you get a free attack as many times a round as they have AoO's. This is very, very bad since you only have a d6. Second, you have to make a regular attack instead of a touch attack, and so your to-hit sucks compared to ranged as well.

Complete mage has some interesting invocations, but you get so few that they may not be worth getting, as few of them are extremely powerful.

I will say that you definitely need Dark Discorporation as soon as you get level 16. It's pretty much the ultimate defensive tool in your arsenal: you are immune to weapons. All weapons. And are unaffected by any single target spell that's not mind affecting. Your AC will also probably skyrocket. Lastly, 4d6 automatic damage and a save vs. an 8th level equivalent spell or be nauseated ain't too bad for offensive ability either.

Pestlepup
2007-08-09, 03:52 AM
Baleful Utterance. Hands-down, cards-on-the-table, no-questions-asked rear-end-kickery. :smallsmile: Seriously, it's one of the most useful things I've ever come across as a warlock. With increasing levels, you can affect heavier objects. And, as you'll notice, no weapon weighs more than aboot 20 pounds, though I use it so much less in than out of combat. One reason being that after a certain point, you'll be coming across too many magic weapons to use it effectively in combat. Directly, that is. :smallbiggrin: Chains, chandeliers (those parts suspending them at least), hinges, locks (what rogue?), you'll find endless things to break with it. Especially since warlocks get to check for free is something can be broken i.e. is magical or not. Note, that this may lead to an inflation of magic in your campaign world, but it's worth it just watching your DM squirm. :smallamused:

As for feats, consider Mortalbane from BoVD if you're looking for early-game boost. Dealing 3d6 (just 5/day, though) with your Eldritch Blast as a 1st level warlock is pretty neat. Though, granted, its usefulness diminishes with time. Ability Focus is always good if you have a staple invocation you love to fling around (and it requires a save).

Basically, just think broadly. You have a very limited selection of invocations, so make them count. Or go for a theme. Flavor makes the game more savory. I'd assume you're going for a more combat-oriented warlock, am I right? If not, what's your idea for your area of expertise?

By the way, I'm assuming from your example that you can't apply the same essence to all your iterative blasts? If you could, I'd have bundles of fun ideas to abuse Repelling Blast at higher levels.

Akennedy
2007-08-09, 06:21 AM
Wow - thanks everyone! You've all helped me out a bunch!
As for what I want to do with my warlock, I don't want him to be 100% combat-oriented, but I want him to hold his own when the time arises. He'll hideous blow then charge someone and probably back up and start shooting. So what stats are more important? Cha? Dex? Str??

Benejeseret
2007-08-09, 09:16 AM
Hey

I was just reading a FAQ by Rich Baker, the author of Complete Arcane, who helped design the warlock class. I came across this and thought I should share:

"Q: Does using Hideous Blow in melee provoke an attack of oppertunity?

A: Hideous Blow does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Andy Collins will clarify that in an upcoming Sage Advice."

So at least that's one horrible gimp out of the way. You would get full attacks (not that many mind you) and ONE would be infused with a blast without causing AoO. And much like the ray version, crits are x2.
Edit: correction...I think the invocation action means only 1 attack a round unless quickened

More over, the blast of hideous does not need weapon damage to be done...only for the attack to Hit.

Soooo, what about using special combat moves like grapple/disarm/sunder/bullrush? If I am understanding correctly as long as you end up contacting them the blast goes off.

Bene

Doc_Outlands
2007-08-09, 03:24 PM
Eldritch Glaive from Dragon Magic is, imo, a *must* for a Warlock who plans to go melee much at all - Least Invoc, Reach, threatens squares and allows you to make AoO's, and allows you to make all your BAB attacks. Drawback? It requires a Full-Round Action. If you are a fan of Weapon Focus-type feats, remember an Eldritch Blast is a weapon-like spell and thus qualifies. Glaive makes it a melee touch attack, so keep that in mind, too.

Keep your UMD maxed-out and carry wands of spells you can't replicate.

new Invocations can be found in:
Cityscape
Dragon Magic
Comp Mage

that I know of for sure.

Pestlepup
2007-08-10, 01:19 AM
I'll have to agree that Hideous Blow might not be the best approach to combat, though I freely confess being enamored with the invocation myself. Had a thought of creating a Sauron-esque (From the battle of the Last Alliance. You know, the beginning of the first movie?) witch-king with heaviest armor possible and a maul or a warmace, then aiming for Hideous Blow and Repelling Blast and sending enemies flying. :smallsmile: But shooting Blasts at range is the safest, if not the most exciting bet. Maybe if you had Hideous Blow as a fallback if you're being cornered into melee? I admit, though, that taking an invocation as a secondary spare gimmick is pretty much wasting it. But whatever rocks your boat.

It's hard to recommend a clear strategy, since your house-rules concerning the Blasts get in the way of otherwise sound plans at later levels. But only in the way that it's easier to just blast to your heart's content and damn Shapes and Essences. :smallsmile: Though you may eventually want to give a thought towards Vitriolic Blast. The bane of some regenerators, and no spell resistance is a nice touch. Brimstone's another option, but grants SR and it's a bit too easy to be resistant or immune to fire.

There are some nifty battlefield control invocations in Complete Mage (Caustic Mire and Nightmares Made Real or something to that effect) that are worth a thought, and, as feeble as it may seem, Wall of Perilous Flames. If nothing else, it'll help soften up the resistance and dispose of any unwanted resurrectable corpses. Your very own garbage incinerator, if you will. :smallsmile: Plus it works with Mortalbane. (I think.) Word of Changing is also viable in the upper teens, if for no other reason than forcing a pretty much combat-ending save every round. But that's a long way.

Variant combat options include a debuffing option. Persistent Dispelling, Reaving Dispel, Steal Summoning, Caster's Bane and that other Dispelling thingamabob I can't remember the name of. You'll be the nightmare of enemy casters everywhere. Especially since you won't run out of spell slots. :smallamused: The problem with this approach is, of course, that when you're not facing magic or spellcasters, you're pretty much just a hang-around blaster unless your skill-choices help you out. Or pick up Hammer Blast for a less subtle approach and become a magical battering ram. Always fun! :smallbiggrin:

For non-combat presence, there are tons of good choices. The STUD, for instance. Stands for See The Unseen + Detect (magic). Throw in All-Seeing Eyes and Crawling Eye and you're pretty much the Senser of All Things Possible. Pick Witchwood Step, Swimming the Styx, Spider Climb and Fell Flight and you've got mobility options coming out of your ears. Throw in Flee the Scene for good measure, and there's practically no place you can't get to. For a semi-enchanter, go for Beguiling Influence and Charm. Easy enough. For hard-core infiltration, add Walk Unseen and Mask of Flesh. And if necromancy tickles your fancy, The Dead Walk. I quote: "Sacrificing minions. Is there any problem it can't solve?" :smallsmile:

Almost all Dark invocations are just too delicious to pass, but that's a bridge you'll have to cross when you get there. :smallsmile:

And I agree with Doc_Outlands. UMD is one of your most important skills. With it you can replicate ANY spell for purposes of item creation feats. In other words, you can have access to any spell imaginable with the right planning. Not bad, I say. :smallwink:

Doc_Outlands
2007-08-10, 08:50 AM
In fact, I'd be sorely tempted to suggest taking Skill Focus (UMD) for most Warlock concepts - nabbing Magical Aptitude tosses in another +2 on Spellcraft and UMD, both of which a Warlock can use.

Akennedy
2007-08-10, 01:28 PM
So, for feats? other than extra invocation... any suggestions?

Raolin_Fenix
2007-08-10, 02:07 PM
"Q: Does using Hideous Blow in melee provoke an attack of oppertunity?

A: Hideous Blow does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Andy Collins will clarify that in an upcoming Sage Advice."

Regrettably, this doesn't end the discussion. I know exactly the thread you're referring to, I'm afraid.

Later on in the thread, we discover that Andy Collins did not come across. In the aforementioned upcoming (now bygone) Sage Advice, he stated that Hideous Blow did indeed provoke an AoO. His ruling, in turn, provoked a lot of verbal attacks of opportunity from the rest of the threadgoers, and a full melee broke out as to whether to take Andy's word for it (since Rich Baker essentially gave Andy Collins the right to answer the question, and Andy's answer has become law), or to take Rich's word for it (since he's the one who wrote the flipping class).

Ultimately, it's up to your DM. So tell him what I just told you, and let him come to his own decision based on the facts. Whatever it is, accept it without complaint. :P