PDA

View Full Version : YASID*: Fantasy novel with food that changes skin color to green.

gomipile
2017-07-30, 03:53 PM
I'm trying to find a fantasy novel that I don't know the title of.

The main character gets sent on a journey by an older wizard or wizard-like character, who also shows up at the end of the novel.

Towards the middle of the novel, the protagonist gets stuck in a maze for a while. In the maze there are people with I think green colored skin which was caused by the food which they ate in the maze.

That's most of what I know about the story. I know it was published before 1997, and I think it had a paperback edition.

*YASID stands for Yet Another Story ID, a useful acronym from Usenet groups I used to frequent.

Durkoala
2017-07-30, 09:07 PM
I'm trying to find a fantasy novel that I don't know the title of.

The main character gets sent on a journey by an older wizard or wizard-like character, who also shows up at the end of the novel.

Towards the middle of the novel, the protagonist gets stuck in a maze for a while. In the maze there are people with I think green colored skin which was caused by the food which they ate in the maze.

That's most of what I know about the story. I know it was published before 1997, and I think it had a paperback edition.

*YASID stands for Yet Another Story ID, a useful acronym from Usenet groups I used to frequent.

It's different enough that I'm probably wrong, but my first thought is Terry Pratchett's The Dark Side of the Sun. The main character is turned green when his body is regrown after an assassination attempt, he's set on his quest to track down the lost ancient alien race by his godfather, a banker who is also a sentient computer that spans a planet. The godfather appears at the end via built-in hyperdrive engines to protect him by threatening financial action against the armies chasing him. There's also a maze in the middle of the book where a dramatoc confrontation takes place with an assassin. This quickly dissolves as both the hero and the assassin have such great psuedo-magical powers that neither can hurt each other.

On balance, this doesn't sound very like what you're looking for, but hopefully it helps.

gomipile
2017-07-30, 10:29 PM
It's different enough that I'm probably wrong, but my first thought is Terry Pratchett's The Dark Side of the Sun. The main character is turned green when his body is regrown after an assassination attempt, he's set on his quest to track down the lost ancient alien race by his godfather, a banker who is also a sentient computer that spans a planet. The godfather appears at the end via built-in hyperdrive engines to protect him by threatening financial action against the armies chasing him. There's also a maze in the middle of the book where a dramatoc confrontation takes place with an assassin. This quickly dissolves as both the hero and the assassin have such great psuedo-magical powers that neither can hurt each other.

On balance, this doesn't sound very like what you're looking for, but hopefully it helps.

No, that's not it.

Oh, I think the maze had people in it who wouldn't leave the maze when the protagonist suggested climbing over the wall to escape.