PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Azuth or Mystra?

ZorroGames
2017-07-30, 04:14 PM
Looking at a choice between Azuth or Mystara for a straight Wisdom Build Arcana Cleric for the character's diety. :smallsmile:

The Devout and the Dead thread really fired up my desire to run a Cleric again (my first character in White Box OD&D.) :smallcool:

So basically, it is down to one of these dieties for my future AL gaming. :smallbiggrin:

Just for fun which would you choose and why?

Edit: Not dropping the Mountain Dwarf Monk, just diversifying.

Millstone85
2017-07-30, 04:20 PM
You should go with the deity whose name you do not confuse with that of another campaign setting. :smalltongue:

ZorroGames
2017-07-30, 04:25 PM
You should go with the deity whose name you do not confuse with that of another campaign setting. :smalltongue:

Or learn to type better.

Millstone85
2017-07-30, 04:45 PM
I think an arcana cleric of Mystra makes more sense than one of Azuth.

She is the goddess of the Weave of Magic, a wondrous aspect of the world that can be approached in many ways, including faith in Mystra herself.

He is the god of wizardry, specifically. It seems to me that he would sooner be represented by a wizard who holds a priesthood than he would empower a cleric.

lunaticfringe
2017-07-30, 06:06 PM
Azuth because he is not the Creator of a nigh endless chain of terrible Mary Sues.

ZorroGames
2017-07-30, 08:03 PM
Mystra clerics have nice blue robes.

Azuth clerics have...?

The latter are very rare and there seem to be no dedicated temples, just nooks in some Temples of Mystra and private/home "study" chapels (at best.)

:smalleek:

HolyDraconus
2017-07-30, 08:12 PM
Mystra clerics have nice blue robes.

Azuth clerics have...?

The latter are very rare and there seem to be no dedicated temples, just nooks in some Temples of Mystra and private/home "study" chapels (at best.)

:smalleek:

The latter is rare only cause the former can OHKO him at a moment's notice if bothered to care that much, regardless of what iteration of her you use.

lunaticfringe
2017-07-30, 08:13 PM
Pretty sure it's blue as well but with a much cooler Flaming Hand motif. The are Scroll & Magic Item creation nerds iirc. If you are playing up the Arcana Geek Sage/Cloistered Cleric angle it seems appropriate.

It's up to you, I just hate Mystra. I blame the books I read as a tween/teen.

imanidiot
2017-07-31, 01:16 AM
Azuth because he is not the Creator of a nigh endless chain of terrible Mary Sues.

Oh you wanted to play a character who actually matters in the campaign world? Yeah better steer clear of FR.

McNinja
2017-07-31, 01:42 AM
Oh you wanted to play a character who actually matters in the campaign world? Yeah better steer clear of FR.Didn't Asmodeus eat Azuth in FR?

imanidiot
2017-07-31, 02:12 AM
Didn't Asmodeus eat Azuth in FR?

I haven't played in FR since 2nd Edition. I have no clue.

Millstone85
2017-07-31, 05:39 AM
Didn't Asmodeus eat Azuth in FR?Yes. However, according to the FR wiki, Azuth thereafter existed as a voice in Asmodeus' head. He would even sometimes take control, making the Nine Hells think their supreme leader had gone mad. Eventually, a bargain was struck between Asmodeus, Azuth and a few more characters, after which much magobabble allowed the separation of Asmodeus and Azuth with both of them staying divine.

In any case, Azuth is listed and described in SCAG as the god of wizardry.

ZorroGames
2017-07-31, 07:11 AM
Pretty sure it's blue as well but with a much cooler Flaming Hand motif. The are Scroll & Magic Item creation nerds iirc. If you are playing up the Arcana Geek Sage/Cloistered Cleric angle it seems appropriate.

It's up to you, I just hate Mystra. I blame the books I read as a tween/teen.

Since I never read the books (or plan to) then I lack the negative viewpoint (perhaps naively.) But I understand the viewpoint, having read LOTR over 20 times in the 1970s (+/-) some Peter Jackson's creative calls were more grating - no Bombadil, whatever; no Cleansing of the Shire was very disappointing; Aragorn's speech at Helms Deep was severely OOC IMO, especially (WTF?) to Elves. Did not stop me owning multiple copies of the extended versions though.