PDA

View Full Version : Ways to learn Find Steed

Harrysonford
2017-07-30, 04:27 PM
Hey, so I started looking at the Find steed spell and it looks really cool. I know that paladins can learn it, and bards if they use a magical secret. Are there any other ways to learn it (other than multiclassing)?

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-30, 05:05 PM
Magic initiate

Harrysonford
2017-07-30, 05:08 PM
But magic initiate only lets you learn lv 1 spells, find steed is lv 2

90sMusic
2017-07-30, 05:11 PM
There aren't any.

Find Steed is a paladin exclusive spell and there are no gimmicks or tricks that exist that would let you get it outside of homebrew. The only reason bards can get it is because they're OP and the best class in the game. :D

lperkins2
2017-07-30, 05:22 PM
Learn it? No.
Cast it? Yes.
The obvious way is wish. Getting a paladin to spell store it for you might also work.

Zene
2017-07-30, 05:24 PM
Get a ring of spell storing. Have a paladin cast find steed into it. Cast it yourself from the ring. Boom, paladin steed on a non-paladin. While you're at it, do the same thing with a wizard anf find familiar.

Harrysonford
2017-07-30, 05:32 PM
Get a ring of spell storing. Have a paladin cast find steed into it. Cast it yourself from the ring. Boom, paladin steed on a non-paladin. While you're at it, do the same thing with a wizard anf find familiar.

Would I have to know a paladin to do this? Or could I just use a downtime day or something and have it cast by an npc?

lperkins2
2017-07-30, 05:36 PM
Would I have to know a paladin to do this? Or could I just use a downtime day or something and have it cast by an npc?

That will depend on the setting, which will depend on the campaign and DM. In forgotten realms? Probably findable if you go to a big city and have coin ready. As far as I know, there are no guides for how much coin it's likely to take. It's only a second level spell, so probably less than 1k, but as I said, it will depend on the DM. Plus you need to get the ring of spell storing in the first place, which can be a bit of a trick.

Sigreid
2017-07-30, 11:09 PM
If you belong to a faction of some kind you might have an easier time getting a paladin that is also a member of the faction to help. If I were DMing it would be that, or getting in really good with a church that had paladins before you would be deemed worthy for them to share this sacred gift.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-07-31, 09:08 PM
Magical secrets from a bard?

Dalebert
2017-07-31, 09:41 PM

I was the first person in my personal AL circles to do this. It's how my wild mage sorcerer has a warhorse and familiar. It's one of my favorite tricks. I haven't sought out these rings that hard but I now have a few characters with them. I'll take 'em if I get a chance to trade. They open up SO much potential.

Another fun trick with them is having an NPC cast Warding Bond. My bard puts Warding Bond in his Shield Guardian to cast on the tank. I'm planning to make a necromancer with Inspiring Leader who will have one of his undead cast Warding Bond with a ring.

Harrysonford
2017-08-03, 12:00 AM
Thanks this helps a lot :)