PDA

View Full Version : Erudite vs. Psion

Alleine
2007-08-09, 01:00 AM
When the new Erudite stuff came up from Mind's Eye, everyone went all gaga over it because it opened up a new can of whoop*** for the Erudite. In fact, and erudite at several levels with a job and a steady source of small woodland creatures to kill for xp could rack up quite a bit of powers.

However, I wonder what the problem is that the psion shouldn't do the same. Sure, the Erudite has a built in know-it-all chip, but a psion with the right stuff could do pretty much the same, albeit for a greater cost.

So, here is my proposal which I'm hoping won't get torn into itty bitty little pieces with the first post:

1. A level 20 Erudite given a long list of every power and spell he could ever learn, meaning all of them, with complete descriptions and the works. Sitting in his nice little genesis plane for all eternity with a few simple wonderous items to tide him over until he's gotten it all down. Also, and infinite supply of nifty little creatures that he can kill for xp if he ever gets a little low.

2. A level 20 Psion, given the same exact same things, a genesis'd plane with the works and every spell/power ever, including the divine stuff just for kicks.

Now, we let them run for a few thousand years punching out on their little brains whatever scrap of information they can derive from what they have. Turning countless spells into powers and learning powers.
Yes, the psion can do it too, generally it wouldn't be worth it and in game it would probably be impractical, but a psion can do independent research to learn extra powers, or create new ones which could easily be very similar to a spell.

Now at the end of a few millenia the psion and erudite step out of their little planes brimming with newfound powers, ready to test them out on the world, limited only by powerpoints. But hey, they've been through a few millenia, whats another day to get those points back? The erudite gets through his first 11 powers and stops. The psion passes the day exhausting every last power point he's got, trying out each new power once.

I don't personally see what is so great and amazing about the erudite's ability to learn everything when a psion could do the same. Sure its at an increased xp cost, 200 per week per power level. The erudite could do it for a lot less at lower levels, 20 xp per erudite level for any power? Yay! At level 20 thats only 400 per power while the psion is doing 1800 for a ninth level power over the course of 9 weeks.

Maybe its just me, but I see the erudite as not being as great as it seems.

puppyavenger
2007-08-09, 10:16 AM
You relise psions can't learn spells right?

Dragonmuncher
2007-08-09, 10:29 AM
Psions also can't just go "poof, I researched a new power, I know it now!"

They're limited to a certain number of powers known. So while they COULD learn a new researched power as a new power when they level up or whatnot, they can't just go off in a corner for a few hundred years and come out knowing the entire XPH.

namo
2007-08-09, 10:36 AM
What they said.

Psychic Chirurgery goes around that, but it's expensive and Telepath-only.

Actana
2007-08-09, 11:20 AM
And with the right cheese, Erudites can learn the whole wizard/sorcerer spell list, using power points to cast them. How about that then?

Alleine
2007-08-09, 11:34 AM
They're limited to a certain number of powers known. So while they COULD learn a new researched power as a new power when they level up or whatnot, they can't just go off in a corner for a few hundred years and come out knowing the entire XPH.

Dangit, you're right. Maybe next time I think of something I ought to research it a little more. That kinda seems to defeat the purpose of independent research then. . .

As for the rest of you. I realize that the erudite can learn spells, he also can learn the entire wizard/sorc spell list without cheese. Its in the Minds Eye article that an erudite can learn arcane spells by giving up his first level bonus feat. I'm not seeing the cheese.

I also know the psion can't, however with independent research, you could make your own power that is very similar to a spell, using the same mechanics for spell-to-power as the erudite with a little tweaking.