PDA

View Full Version : Abusing the dread necromancer

Sergio
2017-07-30, 06:20 PM
Via the feat: apprenticeship, I have the chance to get new spells for my dread necromancer. Would you mind suggesting me a few ideas, be it for abusing, be it for roleplaying? Thanks for help

Daefos
2017-07-30, 08:15 PM
As I mentioned in your last thread on this topic, the Apprentice feat does not have any language to suggest that it would allow you to select spells that aren't on your class list. You're wasting it on a Dread Necromancer because the DN already knows every spell on their list. There's simply nothing left to select.

DrMotives
2017-07-30, 08:25 PM
I agree with Daefos, the Apprentice feat doesn't allow you to do what you're trying. There was a warmage ACF in Dragon Magazine that replaces Advanced Learning with a "pick any spell from the sor/wiz list", instead of the normal limited schools of choice. Trade-off is that this limited to 1 spell level lower than Advanced Learning could normally get you. And as it's magazine content, it won't be accepted at many tables.

Vizzerdrix
2017-07-30, 08:30 PM
Id just swap Apprentice for cerebrosis.

Hackulator
2017-07-30, 10:00 PM
Just get a bunch of runestaves.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-07-31, 12:50 AM
Get the feat Magical Training in Player's Guide to Faerun, which gives you a spellbook that you've put a few 0-level Wizard spells into, and a few spell slots to cast them from. Per the Rules Compendium, this automatically allows you to learn new spells and add them to your spellbook via a method identical to how a Wizard learns spells.

Take the feat Versatile Spellcaster in Races of the Dragon, which allows you to spend two spell slots of the same level to cast any spell you know of one level higher. Since you learn all the spells you put in your spellbook, those count as spells your character knows, so you basically get to learn spells like a Wizard by taking those two feats.