PDA

View Full Version : Triple-Threat Crossbow

tokyooo23
2017-07-30, 07:51 PM
From Arms and Armor:
Crossbow, Triple-threat: This is a rare heavy crossbow with an extra wide stock. Three heavy bolt grooves run down the length of the stock with an especially wide string release at its base. This allows for up to three bolts to be fired at once. The wielder must make three separate attack rolls—one for each bolt—and all bolts must be fired simultaneously at the same target.

Depending on interpretation this means you could make three attack rolls against someone as a standard action to fire the crossbow. What do you guys think?

DrMotives
2017-07-30, 08:39 PM
I've never heard of the book Arms and Armor before, is it PF or 3rd party? Either way, it seems to me that this is indeed 3 attack rolls at one target for a standard action. But as crossbows have reload times, this seems to be the balance it's going for. It probably has a longer than normal reload, as you'd have to reload 3 bolts at once. The only way a crossbow can do a full attack actions normally is either it's a repeating crossbow with a clip and a crank, or it has one of the double weapon modifications like a bayonet or reinforced stock so it works as a club.

Blackhawk748
2017-07-30, 09:02 PM
I've never heard of the book Arms and Armor before, is it PF or 3rd party? Either way, it seems to me that this is indeed 3 attack rolls at one target for a standard action. But as crossbows have reload times, this seems to be the balance it's going for. It probably has a longer than normal reload, as you'd have to reload 3 bolts at once. The only way a crossbow can do a full attack actions normally is either it's a repeating crossbow with a clip and a crank, or it has one of the double weapon modifications like a bayonet or reinforced stock so it works as a club.

Or is a Light Crossbow and you have Rapid Reload, or is a Self Loading Heavy and you have the Rapid Reload feat, as both then reduce reloading to a Free action.

But ya, looks like you make 3 Attacks, at no penalty even.

Edit: It looks like Arms and Armor is a 3rd party book for 3.5, one of the generic D20 system books.

tokyooo23
2017-07-30, 10:09 PM
Or hand crossbow focus + aptitude enchantment

Thurbane
2017-07-31, 12:05 AM
I was hoping this was about an intelligent, animated crossbow that can sing, act and dance. :smalltongue:

DrMotives
2017-07-31, 07:44 AM
I was hoping this was about an intelligent, animated crossbow that can sing, act and dance. :smalltongue:

Dragon Magazine #306 has got you covered.

Fouredged Sword
2017-07-31, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately dancing is a melee only enchantment. Maybe get a crossbow bayonet and enchant THAT with dancing. There is an enchantment that lets a weapon continue a bardic music... Now, how to get a weapon to act. If all else fails make it an intelligent item with bonuses to bluff.

Mr Adventurer
2017-07-31, 08:33 AM
Making separate attack rolls as a standard action is useful for when you have bonus damage, especially Sneak Attack or the like which doesn't normally apply to a volley.

In practice this is still worse than an 11th level Scorching Ray (elements allowing), of course, but it's still one hell of an opening from hiding if you can get all the bolts to hit.

You won't be able to quicken the reload time with feats, but you could always get Quick Draw and carry more than one, drawing a new crossbow for each of your iterative attacks.

If it shares the language for light and heavy crossbows, you might be able to fire them one-handed at a penalty. Then you can Two-Weapon Wield them for additional penalties.

A Swashbuckler/Rogue with Daring Outlaw might be able to get 3x a full TWF iterative attack routine, each one potentially triggering the full Sneak Attack dice.

Fouredged Sword
2017-07-31, 08:40 AM
Making separate attack rolls as a standard action is useful for when you have bonus damage, especially Sneak Attack or the like which doesn't normally apply to a volley.

You only get bonus damage like sneak attack to ONE of your attacks if you make multiple attacks with a standard action. To get sneak attack on all your attacks you must ether take a full round action to make the attacks OR be using an ability like greater manyshot that specifically grants precision damage on all hits.

This is why chain bolt arcane unseen seer sorcerers are better than chain bolt unseen seer wizards. The spontaneous metamagic full round action penalty is actually a good thing that lets you get your sneak attack damage on every one of the 20 or so attacks you get.

Menzath
2017-07-31, 11:22 AM
I assume the splitting quality stacks with that. And an ocular chained arrowsplit at that.

Now, does each groove get a separate crossbow bolt cartridge, or is it shared between the three?

InvisibleBison
2017-07-31, 12:17 PM
You won't be able to quicken the reload time with feats, but you could always get Quick Draw and carry more than one, drawing a new crossbow for each of your iterative attacks.

What's your reasoning for this statement? The description quoted in the original post says that the triple-threat crossbow is a kind of heavy crossbow, so I'd think that feats that apply to heavy crossbows can also apply to the TTC.

tokyooo23
2017-07-31, 01:33 PM

What's your reasoning for this statement? The description quoted in the original post says that the triple-threat crossbow is a kind of heavy crossbow, so I'd think that feats that apply to heavy crossbows can also apply to the TTC.

Also use of the aptitude enchantment with a feat that outright says it now reloads as a free action such as handcrossbow focus, will allow you to gain iterative attacks with 3 attacks per iterative attack.

KillianHawkeye
2017-07-31, 02:31 PM
Edit: It looks like Arms and Armor is a 3rd party book for 3.5, one of the generic D20 system books.

Was there a version for 3.5? The one I have is for 3E (printed in 2001 by Bastion Press), but I can't find any triple-threat crossbow in it. The closest thing is a dual-crossbow, which is effectively two light crossbows in one, fires at a penalty if you shoot both at once, takes twice as long to reload, and is an exotic weapon.

Thurbane
2017-07-31, 04:55 PM
Unfortunately dancing is a melee only enchantment. Maybe get a crossbow bayonet and enchant THAT with dancing. There is an enchantment that lets a weapon continue a bardic music... Now, how to get a weapon to act. If all else fails make it an intelligent item with bonuses to bluff.

I think I just found a solution:

Arbalester Homunculus (MoE p.152). It's Cha sucks, so maybe levels in Rogue to get Perform (act, dance, sing).

An arbalester is a homunculus created to assist with ranged attacks. Built around the stock of a light crossbow, the arbalester can fire and reload the crossbow using the normal rules for crossbow attacks.

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/moe_gallery/91497.jpg

...looks more like a short bow to me, but the description specifically says crossbow.

Here's a better image: https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/88844/assets/338679/Defenders.jpg?1403060609

Blackhawk748
2017-07-31, 07:45 PM
Was there a version for 3.5? The one I have is for 3E (printed in 2001 by Bastion Press), but I can't find any triple-threat crossbow in it. The closest thing is a dual-crossbow, which is effectively two light crossbows in one, fires at a penalty if you shoot both at once, takes twice as long to reload, and is an exotic weapon.

It looked 3.5, but i couldnt find a publishing date

tokyooo23
2017-07-31, 08:30 PM

The one I found says 2004

Thurbane
2017-07-31, 09:28 PM
If we're talking Arms & Armor, there is indeed a 3.0 version and a 3.5 updated version (I own a physical copy of the 3.5 version). I find it to be one of the better quality 3rd party d20 books I own.

https://www.amazon.com/Arms-Armor-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Supplement/dp/0971439222

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/1426/Arms--Armor-v35?it=1

KillianHawkeye
2017-08-01, 12:20 AM

The one I found says 2004

If we're talking Arms & Armor, there is indeed a 3.0 version and a 3.5 updated version (I own a physical copy of the 3.5 version). I find it to be one of the better quality 3rd party d20 books I own.

https://www.amazon.com/Arms-Armor-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Supplement/dp/0971439222

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/1426/Arms--Armor-v35?it=1

I guess that explains it. Weird that they'd reuse the exact title without mentioning that it's for a different edition, though. :smallconfused: