PDA

View Full Version : So, Mr/Miss Mystic....how's it going?

furby076
2017-07-30, 10:07 PM
My mystic will be coming online next session (so excited). Lvl 5, awakened mind.

My question to those who have played it....what do you think so far? Any fun combos? Not just powerful, but fun. Anything to watch out for (weaknesses)? Anything that is OP?this last one is important to me because, in all honesty, i prefer to not break the table.

Fyi, My current character is a pally, and he can get nasty (last session rolled a 20, 19 and 17....took down bone devil single handedly in one round....so bug numbers are not what i want to focus on.

Jerrykhor
2017-07-30, 10:33 PM
I'm playing a lv7 Soul Knife, was MVP last session when fighting hordes of Gnolls with the Mind Storm spam. Without spell slots to hold us back, we can go HAM on any fight lol.

Can't wait to lv9 for my sick combo, although its because I'm using a fan-made modified version that includes Soul Knife Disciplines.

For OP stuff, my DM has ruled that Hone the Blade is not a Discipline, so the Psi Limit does not apply. I was spending 7 pp on +4 weapons since 5th level.

Some of the incredibly powerful stuff are: Psychic Assault, Nomadic Mind, Adaptive Body.

Also, Psionic Restoration deserves special mention for making Clerics all over the world green with envy for free and easy Revivify.

Pandiano
2017-07-31, 01:56 AM
My mystic will be coming online next session (so excited). Lvl 5, awakened mind.

My question to those who have played it....what do you think so far? Any fun combos? Not just powerful, but fun. Anything to watch out for (weaknesses)? Anything that is OP?this last one is important to me because, in all honesty, i prefer to not break the table.

Fyi, My current character is a pally, and he can get nasty (last session rolled a 20, 19 and 17....took down bone devil single handedly in one round....so bug numbers are not what i want to focus on.

I like the Animate Weapon aspect of the Mastery of Wood and Earth Discipline. Throwing your (albeit one handed) weapon in peoples faces never gets old. And cloak of air from Mastery of Air is nice. Let them attack themselves.

Scathain
2017-07-31, 09:51 AM
I like the Animate Weapon aspect of the Mastery of Wood and Earth Discipline. Throwing your (albeit one handed) weapon in peoples faces never gets old. And cloak of air from Mastery of Air is nice. Let them attack themselves.

+1 to all these disciplines. Got a level 5 SK in an evil campaign of mine, player plays him as a Sith Necromancer. Animate Weapon for LIGHTSABER THROW and eventually Animate Earth fluffed as raising the bones of long-extinct creatures. Paired with Mastery of Light and Shadow, he'll have minions for days as he gets higher in level.

Clone
2017-07-31, 06:13 PM
I'm playing a lv7 Soul Knife, was MVP last session when fighting hordes of Gnolls with the Mind Storm spam. Without spell slots to hold us back, we can go HAM on any fight lol.

Can't wait to lv9 for my sick combo, although its because I'm using a fan-made modified version that includes Soul Knife Disciplines.

For OP stuff, my DM has ruled that Hone the Blade is not a Discipline, so the Psi Limit does not apply. I was spending 7 pp on +4 weapons since 5th level.

Some of the incredibly powerful stuff are: Psychic Assault, Nomadic Mind, Adaptive Body.

Also, Psionic Restoration deserves special mention for making Clerics all over the world green with envy for free and easy Revivify.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you find the modified version? Some of my players have shown interest for a backup character or a future campaign's character, and if there is a simplified or more balanced version of the Mystic than the current version I'd love to see it!

Jerrykhor
2017-07-31, 07:46 PM
If you don't mind my asking, where did you find the modified version? Some of my players have shown interest for a backup character or a future campaign's character, and if there is a simplified or more balanced version of the Mystic than the current version I'd love to see it!

Reddit, its called the Psionic Handbook.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-31, 07:59 PM
Wouldn't really consider Hone the Blade in DM fiat territory , Features aren't spells/disciplines.

Had a one shot SK forest Gnome, character never carried weapons or armor just looked like an old Gnome. Mastery of Force and Telepathic mind made him pretty good with social and combat encounters. Was MVP when everyone's weapons were taken away to enter a tunnel, and we ran into a Mimic. "My mind , my weapon it is", was what was said before Master Yado stabbed the thing to death

Early levels (was level 3 in one shot) the psi limit and amount of psi points you have are the real limitation. Espescially if you didn't take a damaging talent. But after first tier you're pretty solid.