PDA

View Full Version : D&D Session Snackage

Matrota
2017-07-30, 10:13 PM
In our group for D&D, we have begun to host sessions more than once a week, and having the same thing (chips and pizza) every time is getting old. For all you veteran giants out there, what do you guys usually have in terms of refreshments when you get together to play D&D with your friends? Anything unique or interesting that you'd reccomend? I know it's kinda silly to ask about food stuff on a tabletop forum, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Dragonexx
2017-07-30, 10:29 PM
Fish and Chips.

Lasagna.

Fettuccine alfredo

Burgers.

Then again, my friends and I like to cook, so there's that.

Also now there are restaurants deliver more than pizza. I hope this doesn't count as advertising, but have you looked at Grubhub (Grubhub.com)? You can order delivery from restaurants in your area, which is neat.

LaserFace
2017-07-30, 10:30 PM
Beer.

All other foods are incorrect.

FreddyNoNose
2017-07-30, 10:56 PM
In our group for D&D, we have begun to host sessions more than once a week, and having the same thing (chips and pizza) every time is getting old. For all you veteran giants out there, what do you guys usually have in terms of refreshments when you get together to play D&D with your friends? Anything unique or interesting that you'd reccomend? I know it's kinda silly to ask about food stuff on a tabletop forum, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

If you bring something for the group, make sure it is what you want. Do you take a break for dinner?

TheCountAlucard
2017-07-31, 12:15 AM
Bring along a Crockpot, plug it in at the start. Toss in a few cans of chili, cream cheese, and a block of cheddar, then cover and let it simmer on low heat. Stir occasionally.

When y'all start feeling hungry, break out the tortilla chips or crackers!

(Alternatively you can go with tomato sauce, cream cheese, mozzarella, and pepperoni, then carve up a loaf of Italian bread to spoon it into when you're ready to eat. Either way, a slow-cooker is your friend during a game.)

VoxRationis
2017-07-31, 02:00 AM
One of the people in the group I have now brings carrots--raw, ordinary, carrots, straight out of the bag--quite consistently.

I myself would recommend something with protein to it. A lot of RPG snack food tends to be either starch-based or sugar-based. Bring meats or nuts, or possibly cheese.

Draconi Redfir
2017-07-31, 02:06 AM
sounds like a lot of junkfood. if this is a regular thing then it's probably not terribly healthy. talk to everyone in the group and see if there are any fruits or vegitables that everyone likes or can agree on. Or just bring multiple. It doesn't need to be something bland like "Raw carrots and broccoli with dip", but something like BLT sandwiches, a fruit bowl, some kind of cooked food if you can find anything that isn't covered in grease, etc would work out. Personally i like broccoli and carrots, but only if they've been cooked. so idk. hot-plate with a bowl of steamed veggies on it or something? *shrugs*

Knaight
2017-07-31, 03:37 AM
I tend to go with some variety of pasta and veggies, but that's mostly because it's a cooking staple and there's a lot of variety within that category (you've got root vegetable mixes, raw vegetable mixes, leafy vegetable mixes, cold pasta options, hot pasta options, cheese sauces/pastas, cold yoghurt sauces/pastas, peanut sauces, soy sauces, and then various spice options within all of those). Particularly notable are a cold pasta with raw cucumbers, tomatoes, and spinach, using a cold yoghurt and herb sauce; mac and cheese plus veggies; and a Korean BBQ marinade of root vegetables with egg noodles cooked in soy sauce. I also make quiche and turnovers sometimes, and often make flatbread as a side (and there's a yoghurt-honey flatbread recipe I use for desert, which is even better with ice cream).

goto124
2017-07-31, 03:57 AM
Saucisson. Accept no substitutes.

Anonymouswizard
2017-07-31, 04:10 AM
One of my groups used to have carrot sticks (a.k.a. 'Ultimate Persuaders') and Jaffa Cakes. The carrot sticks always went first, because it turns out people REALLY like raw carrots. If we had a meal it would generally be pizza, but that would be an end of campaign thing, we tended to meet at seven so people could grab food. Drinks were almost always a case of 'tea or water'.

If I was setting up a set of snacks for game night, it would be carrot sticks, bell pepper batons, hummus, salsa, and maybe some cheese and crackers. Drinks would be tea and coffee. While there's nothing wrong with crisps or pop, I tend to find more substantial and healthy snacks are preferred. Plus I'm English, we can't have a game session without tea. For an actual meal I might cook some chilli or something. All vegetable snacks would likely be raw, unless I went mad and decided to buy in beetroot.

I once had actual chips (American: fries) with gaming, but that was when a group used to meet in a pub. Generally that group had no snacks, we'd have tea but you'd eat before you came (a running theme with my groups, start late enough for people to grab a bite to eat).

Martin Greywolf
2017-07-31, 04:16 AM
Step 1: Locate all the food places that deliver food to you
Step 2: Call them
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit! (for your local business)

If you're in a city, you get pretty much infinite variety like this.

hymer
2017-07-31, 04:30 AM
I have a game that runs about once a month on a weekend day, which should include at least the midday meal. I usually get up early and bake bread rolls for that. People can then go and get one (or more) when they feel like it, and they can be made into the sort of snack you want. Butter, cheese, ham, eggs, etc.

BWR
2017-07-31, 04:43 AM
Snacks =/= food

Snacks: varies.
Often some fruit like grapes, orange slices, apples, clementines, etc.
Less often, chips/crisps of various types, pretzels, etc.
Least often but most popular: vegetable platters with dip. Carrot sticks, broccoli and cauliflower pieces, sliced peppers, cucumber and cherry tomatoes. So far it hasn't failed to be gone before half the session is over unless people are having a heavy dinner as well, and I keep making more each time.

If we eat dinner during the session it is usually pizza. We're there to game not make food, so if we eat we mostly order pizza, though other fast foods they deliver are also consumed. Frozen pizzas and various canned/microwave frozen dinners are more popular in the younger group. If we have our yearly weekend seaside/gaming trip we make proper dinners. When have our Easter houseguest we make lots of good food as well as gaming most of the day.

Anonymouswizard
2017-07-31, 06:11 AM
If we eat dinner during the session it is usually pizza. We're there to game not make food, so if we eat we mostly order pizza, though other fast foods they deliver are also consumed.

If you want to try home cooked food with a game, I suggest something like Chilli or a stew that someone has to stir every half an hour or so, but can be prepped hours in advance (in my family we don't eat either if it hasn't been simmering for at least an hour). It's ideal if you play in the kitchen, although less so if someone has to leave the room.

BWR
2017-07-31, 06:26 AM
If you want to try home cooked food with a game, I suggest something like Chilli or a stew that someone has to stir every half an hour or so, but can be prepped hours in advance (in my family we don't eat either if it hasn't been simmering for at least an hour). It's ideal if you play in the kitchen, although less so if someone has to leave the room.

A lot of it is how different tastes we have when it comes to food. (Also, any chili I'm gonna make is likely to be inedibly spicy for most of my friends.) We all like pizza and speaking for myself I eat pizza primarily when we order it for game nights. At this point it's part of the ritual for one of the groups.

ImNotTrevor
2017-07-31, 10:51 PM
For an upcoming game of Apocalypse World set in the jungle, I'm planning to bring some interesting and thematic snacks.

Dried banana, pemmican, cashew nuts, turkey jerky (hard to raise cows in the jungle), and for a beverage, probably terere (mate, but done cold) if I can acquire some in time.

I've never done it before, but it seems like a cool idea, so I'm going to see how it goes. My wife being a chef certainly helps with my crazy ideas.