PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Prestige Class: Champion of Moradin, Advice Wanted

Helvetica
2017-07-30, 11:05 PM
Background: I'm looking for critiques of a prestige class design I'm working up as the DM to help out one of my players. He is a 9th level dwarf paladin of Moradin with no multiclassing and has found that... challenging... so I'm trying to come up with something fun for him that will also make him feel more useful to the group (a druid/sorcerer/theurge, duskblade/scout, marshal, and a rogue/swashbuckler/fighter.) We looked at many of the existing prestige classes but either he wasn't interested in their class abilities or the requirements weren't something a straight paladin could hit at a reasonable level (due to skill point issues or spells, usually) so I made something that is heavily borrowing from Hammer of Moradin (enough to potentially count as a variant) as well as touches from other prestige classes. My main concern is that I might have made it overpowered, or attached too many class abilities to it. I welcome all feedback!

Champion of Moradin
A defender of the dwarven people and champion of Moradin’s justice.

Requirements:
Race: Dwarf
Class: Paladin in good standing with Moradin
Feats: Weapon Focus: Warhammer
Spells: Able to cast 2nd-level divine spells
Deity: Moradin
Alignment: Lawful Good
Base Attack Bonus: +7
Skills: Knowledge: Religion 5 ranks

Hit die: d10
Skill points: 2 + Int

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Champions of Moradin are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor, and with shields. Armor check penalties for armor heavier than leather apply to the skills Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble, and double the normal armor check penalty applies to Swim checks.

Spellcasting: At every level you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming an ordained champion of Moradin, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Righteous Caster: The Champion of Moradin also adds all Good, Law, and War domain spells to his spell list. The champion does not gain the domain ability associated with any of these domains.

Continued Advancement: Levels in Champion of Moradin stack with levels of other appropriate classes for the purpose of turning or rebuking undead, and for all level-dependent domain granted powers.

Hammer Throw (Ex): A champion of Moradin may use his warhammer as a thrown weapon with a range increment of 20 feet. He takes no additional penalties for using the weapon in this fashion.

Hammer Return (Su): When the champion of Moradin reaches 2nd level, any warhammer he throws gains the returning special ability. A returning warhammer flies through the air back to the champion, returning just before his next turn, so that it is ready to use again in that turn. Catching the warhammer when it comes back is a free action. If the champion of Moradin can't catch it, or if he has moved since throwing it, the warhammer drops to the ground in the square from which it was thrown.

Fearless Aura (Su): At 2nd level, the Champion of Moradin gains the feat Fearless Aura, allowing his Aura of courage to extend to 20 ft. All allies within the aura become immune to fear effects.

Inspirational Shout (Su): At 3rd level, the champion of Moradin gains the ability to inspire his allies as the bardic ability Inspire Courage, except the shout cannot be maintained over multiple rounds. The duration of the shout lasts a number of rounds equal to the Champion of Moradin’s champion levels, and increases to +2 at 5th level, +3 at 7th level, and +4 at 9th level. He may use the shout once per day per champion level.

Powerful Grip (Ex): At 3rd level, the champion of Moradin gains a bonus equal to one-half his Strength bonus (rounded down) on damage rolls when wielding a warhammer in melee. Thus, his bonus on damage rolls with this weapon equals 1-1/2 times his Strength bonus when he wields it in one hand and twice his Strength bonus when he wields it in two hands.

Fist of the Gods (Su): At 4th level, you can sacrifice a prepared spell or spell slot as a swift action to deal extra damage. Doing so grants you a bonus equal to 1 + spell level sacrificed on your damage rolls for melee attacks. This benefit lasts for a number of rounds equal to your champion level.

Far Shot (Ex): At 4th level, the champion of Moradin gains the benefit of the Far Shot feat when throwing his warhammer. This benefit increases the range increment for his thrown hammer to 30 feet.

Cave Crusader (Su): A 5th-level or higher champion of Moradin may, as a move action, imbue his hammer with the Bane property affecting one of the common denizens of the Underdark and historic enemies of Moradin, namely: drow, duerger, derro, svirfneblin, and all goblinoids.

Power Strike (Su): At 5th level, the champion of Moradin can strike his foe so hard that his blow leaves the opponent dazed. To use this ability, the champion of Moradin makes a normal attack roll. (The player must declare that he is using this power before making the attack roll; thus, a miss ruins the attempt.) The attack deals normal damage if successful. In addition, any foe damaged by this attack must make a successful Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + champion of Moradin level + champion of Moradin's Str modifier) or be dazed for 1 round. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be dazed. This ability is usable twice per day at 5th level and four times per day at 10th level.

Quake (Su): By striking his warhammer violently against the ground (a standard action), a 6th-level or higher champion of Moradin creates a shock wave that violently shakes the earth in front of him. Each creature touching the ground in a 60-foot cone from the point of impact must make a successful Reflex save (DC 10 + champion of Moradin level + champion of Moradin's Str modifier) or be knocked prone.

Divine Wrath (Su): At level 6, the champion can channel a portion of her patron's power into wrath, giving her a +3 bonus on attack rolls, damage, and saving throws for a number of rounds equal to her Charisma bonus. During this time, the divine champion also has damage reduction of 5/-. This ability can be used once per day and is invoked as a free action.

Chaos Crusher (Su): At 7th level, the champion of Moradin may imbue any warhammer with the axiomatic special ability as a move action. This ability may be used once per day, and the effect lasts a number of rounds equal to the champion of Moradin's Charisma modifier.

Stalwart (Su): Champions of Moradin are renowned for their ability to stand strong in the face of a hail of arrows, or wade into a throng of shrieking goblins and emerge untouched. At 7th level, the champion may add his base Will save modifier to his AC once per day as a free action. This benefit lasts for 1 round per champion level.

Thunder Strike (Ex): When the champion of Moradin reaches 8th level, his blows are so mighty that armor not only offers little protection from them, but it also acts as a conduit for the force of the blow, causing his opponent even more pain. When wielding his warhammer, the hammer of Moradin gains a bonus on melee damage rolls equal to his foe's armor bonus (not including shield bonus or enhancement bonus). Thus, a hammer of Moradin striking a creature wearing a breastplate gains a +5 bonus on his damage roll.

Power Throw (Su): At 9th level, the champion of Moradin can hurl his warhammer with such force that it plows on past creatures struck by it. When throwing his hammer, the champion of Moradin makes a single ranged attack roll and checks the result against the AC of all creatures in a 60-foot straight line from his position. He then rolls damage against each creature that the weapon hits.

Bones of the Earth (Sp): When the champion of Moradin reaches 10th level, he gains a powerful blessing from Moradin himself. This benefit functions like the shadow walk spell (caster level equals champion of Moradin's divine caster level), except that rather than traveling along the edge of the Shadow Plane, the character travels along the edge of the Elemental Plane of Earth. Both the origin and destination points must be within 5 feet of solid, natural stone. This ability is usable once per day.

EX-CHAMPIONS OF MORADIN
A champion of Moradin who violates his alignment or betrays Moradin loses all spell-like and supernatural abilities gained from this prestige class. He regains his abilities and advancement potential if he atones for his actions (see the atonement spell on page 201 of the Player's Handbook).

Class skills
Concentration CON
Craft INT
Diplomacy CHA
Heal WIS
Knowledge (arcana) INT
Knowledge (history) INT
Knowledge (local) INT
Knowledge (religion) INT
Knowledge (the planes) INT
Profession WIS
Sense Motive CHA
Spellcraft INT

Advancement:

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1st +1 +2 +0 +2 Righteous caster, hammer throw
2nd +2 +3 +0 +3 Hammer return, Fearless Aura
3rd +3 +3 +1 +3 Inspirational shout +1, powerful grip
4th +4 +4 +1 +4 Far shot, fist of the gods
5th +5 +4 +1 +4 Cave crusader, power strike, inspirational shout +2
6th +6 +5 +2 +5 Quake, divine wrath
7th +7 +5 +2 +5 Chaos crusher, stalwart, inspirational shout +3
8th +8 +6 +2 +6 Thunder strike
9th +9 +6 +3 +6 Power throw, inspirational shout +4
10th +10 +7 +3 +7 Bones of the earth

rferries
2017-07-31, 01:49 AM
A lot of flavour (the capstone ability to travel the plane of Elemental Earth is superb!) but what is the power level of your games? This class is VERY powerful - you sacrifice turn undead but are generally better than a straight cleric in all other ways. Unless everyone else in the party is using similar high-tier classes they risk being overshadowed.

Helvetica
2017-07-31, 08:56 AM
(the capstone ability to travel the plane of Elemental Earth is superb!)

Unfortunately I can't take credit for that one, it's basically straight taken from Hammer of Moradin.

Do you think it risks being stronger than cleric even being limited to the Paladin spellcasting? He'll have a slightly larger spell list with the additional domains but Paladins don't have much casting opportunity.

Are your concerns with it being overpowered more about quantity of the class abilities or are the abilities themselves maybe a little too strong?

Thanks for your help!

rferries
2017-07-31, 02:57 PM
Oh whoops I completely missed the paladin part! I would specifically restrict the spellcasting to paladins, or increase the number of paladin levels you need to enter the class (as it is a 1-level dip of paladin still makes this too attractive to clerics I feel). Even then it's a straight upgrade to the base paladin but since that's a lower-tier class I that's fine in my opinion. However these are just suggestions of course, do what feels right to you. Congrats on the very flavourful class, you've got me thinking about homebrewing some dwarf stuff of my own!

paramedicbogart
2017-10-21, 09:45 AM
My thought is power throw , while comes in late is a Whopper of a power. Attack all enemies in a 60ft line all day long? Sign me up. I would say level+charisma times per day, or something along those lines. Otherwise does sound good. Forgotten Realms had strong prestige classes as I recall. This is right in line otherwise.

Westhart
2017-10-23, 08:33 AM
first off, this is an interesting class, and I like it. Also, if you want you can use this table (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22485397&postcount=21) to help format it. Now for the PEACH:

1) For weapn and armor proficiency the part about acp for heavier then leather is unnecessary.

2) Righteous Caster: I don't think it would be too powerful to give him the granted power of said domains... ((Your party does have a druid after all :smalltongue:))

3) Continued advancement: the domain part is uneccesary, since you intend for this to only be usable by straight paladins, who do not have domains, and you do not get the granted power from this class for the domains it gives...

4) Hammer Throw: Basically a specific throw anything feat, but range is up 10'... I would probably just give them throw anything honestly.

5) Hammer Return: seems fine, not one of the best weapon enchantmnts (returning) by any means

6) Fearless aura: I would make this a class feature, expanding the aura out to level*10' (for more of a commander high range type) or 1/2 level*10 (dungeon crawl, allies nearby type). Clustering together is usually not a good idea for the party, and 20' isn't much...

7) Cave crusader: so a move action for my next hit? permanently? does it stack? If it is per hit this seems rather weak as you are sacrificing a full attack, compared to the one hit you'll get...

8) Power Strike: 2/day and 4/day may either be great or bad depending on campaign, a high social will have more then enough whereas a dungeon crawl or a siege may need more... Maybe make it 1/2 class level? (That way it also advances onto epic?) in the long run it comes out as once more per day.

9) Why is quake a cone?

10) Divine wrath: meh, lack of scaling will make a dr 5/- pretty pitiful, especially compared to the damage a dungeoncrasher/barbarian does at the same level. How about keying everything off 1/2 level+cha mod, or for lower powered games charisma mod?

11) Chaos Crusher: I would make it at will, or 3/day or something... That 1/day hurts... I mean if ou were throwing it on a cleric it'd be fine, but we are talking about a pali here... Also, moradin is more portrayed (I think) as a good guy, instead of a lawful guy (yes, he is LG, I know)... So why no holy?

12) Stalwart: +6 AC @ 17th (think that is right level, may be wrong) is alright I guess, once again that 1/day hurts.

13) Thunderstrike: I like it, think it comes a bit late, but it's nice.

14) Power Throw: I would make this a standard actio, just to avoid say throwing 4 hammers (w/out tricks to get more) and hitting... say 6 people with each one... On the bright side we have found what who the dwarves use for artillary

15) The capstone rocks, until one gets to that 1/day :smallannoyed:. I would say a number of times equal to your wisdom modifier.

MISC note
First, I would key all of this off wisdom instead of wisdom and charisma. The paladin is MAD, this should alleviate somewhat. After all dwarves do take a hit to cha and moradin is supposed to be the wise forge type...

All in all, a nice class!

jqavins
2017-10-24, 06:59 PM
First, I'll echo rferries's first response: it's pretty powerful, but whether or not it's too powerful depends on the other characters and the enemies they face.

Spellcasting:.. If you had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming an ordained champion of Moradin, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.
This seems irrelevant, since it's a custom prestige class for an otherwise single class paladin. If you're including this for future use, I'd make the character choose which class's casting will advance when s/he takes the first level in Champion, and all Champion levels' casting advancement goes the same way.

Hammer Throw (Ex): A champion of Moradin may use his warhammer as a thrown weapon with a range increment of 20 feet. He takes no additional penalties for using the weapon in this fashion.
I like this as is better than Throw Anything. Better range but restricted to one item is a fair trade (or maybe increase the range a bit further?) and hammer throwing is just so dwarvish.

Hammer Return (Su): When the champion of Moradin reaches 2nd level, any warhammer he throws gains the returning special ability. A returning warhammer flies through the air back to the champion, returning just before his next turn, so that it is ready to use again in that turn. Catching the warhammer when it comes back is a free action. If the champion of Moradin can't catch it, or if he has moved since throwing it, the warhammer drops to the ground in the square from which it was thrown.
Oh, how very Thor! :smallwink:

I'd add something like "For each level the champion has beyond second, the hammer may "follow" him five feet if he has moved since it was thrown. So, a fifth level Champion can move 15 feet and his hammer will still come to him. If the thrower is further away than this, the hammer falls to the ground in the last space it can reach."

Inspirational Shout (Su):... The duration of the shout lasts a number of rounds equal to the Champion of Moradin’s champion levels, and increases to +2 at 5th level, +3 at 7th level, and +4 at 9th level. He may use the shout once per day per champion level.
I may be being thick, but I've read this three times and I don't understand it. Are you saying this?

Level

Duration

Cave Crusader (Su): A 5th-level or higher champion of Moradin may, as a move action, imbue his hammer with the Bane property affecting one of the common denizens of the Underdark and historic enemies of Moradin, namely: drow, duerger, derro, svirfneblin, and all goblinoids.
Perhaps make it a move action to activate, but also give it a duration of, say, a round per Champion level. Then it only costs the move action once and lasts, with any luck, the duration of the fight. Then slap a times per day limit on it.

Chaos Crusher (Su): At 7th level, the champion of Moradin may imbue any warhammer with the axiomatic special ability as a move action. This ability may be used once per day, and the effect lasts a number of rounds equal to the champion of Moradin's Charisma modifier.
I have to agree with Mr. Abnormal; why not good? Why not let the character choose? Or maybe, choose upon gaining the ability with the choice locked in.

Power Throw (Su): At 9th level, the champion of Moradin can hurl his warhammer with such force that it plows on past creatures struck by it. When throwing his hammer, the champion of Moradin makes a single ranged attack roll and checks the result against the AC of all creatures in a 60-foot straight line from his position. He then rolls damage against each creature that the weapon hits.
Holy Crap!!! If anything here is overpowered, it's this.

All in all, I like the class.

Westhart
2017-10-25, 07:59 AM
I have to agree with Mr. Abnormal

Now now, let's not assume genders eh? :smalltongue:

jqavins
2017-10-25, 10:16 AM
My bad. I was (mis)lead by the profile picture, but you're quite right that I should not assume.:smallredface:

As for Power Throw, how about modifying it to be somewhat like Great Cleave? If it drops an opponent it moves on to the next, but as soon as it hits an enemy that stays up the attack sequence is over (and it returns).

Westhart
2017-10-25, 10:19 AM
My bad. I was (mis)lead by the profile picture, but you're quite right that I should not assume.:smallredface:

Meh, no problem :smallbiggrin: I picked the first one to pop up honestly and haven't bothered changing it ><

JNAProductions
2017-10-25, 11:15 AM
The +2 refers to the bonus the Shout gives, not its duration.

rferries
2017-10-26, 02:52 AM

Ha! I like the new look. :)

Westhart
2017-10-26, 06:33 AM
Ha! I like the new look. :)

Yeah, I just clicked the first one to pop up... impatience and all :smallwink:

Morphic tide
2017-10-26, 06:38 PM
Hilarious technicality with the entry requirement: Being a Paladin in good standing with Moradin can actually come from an utterly atheistic Paladin who's good buds with Moradin in an Epic level campaign, where being on a first-name basis with gods isn't entirely unusual. So not worshipping Moradin at any level. Just being a literal friend to that particular God works by RAW. And in-universe, a God rewarding a group of adventurers with a tiny shard of their power, granting access to what would normally require worship, is entirely reasonable.

Just a silly technicality I wanted to point out...