PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Aligned Monster Ideas?

Green Elf
2017-07-30, 11:48 PM
[If you're here to talk about the alignment system, there are other threads]

I'm making a fantasy table top RPG. I need some good aligned monsters to fight against evil monsters, NPCs, and players. Does anybody have an idea? Note that magic is not an option for any creatures.

GorinichSerpant
2017-07-31, 12:41 AM
I don't think I currently have enought information to understand what you want, so I'll rattle off some questions in no particular order for clarification.
Can you be more detailed in what you mean when you say the creatures can't have magic and why? Also for context, what sort of magic is present in your rpg? Is this a generic system meant to do anything, or a game that focuses on doing one particular thing well (for example strategic warfare, interpersonal drama, being a badass, or mystery solving)? Is there a specific setting with a particular way the monsters and the magic are supposed to work? Is there a the good monsters can't be the same species as the evil monsters but not evil?

VoxRationis
2017-07-31, 01:58 AM
Gargoyles. Aside from the famous TV show, they tend to get lumped in with Team Evil for some reason, but they're supposed to be guardians of cathedrals. Give them bonuses against spectral or immaterial creatures and home-ground advantages.

Green Elf
2017-08-03, 01:02 PM
I don't think I currently have enought information to understand what you want, so I'll rattle off some questions in no particular order for clarification.
Can you be more detailed in what you mean when you say the creatures can't have magic and why? Also for context, what sort of magic is present in your rpg? Is this a generic system meant to do anything, or a game that focuses on doing one particular thing well (for example strategic warfare, interpersonal drama, being a badass, or mystery solving)? Is there a specific setting with a particular way the monsters and the magic are supposed to work? Is there a the good monsters can't be the same species as the evil monsters but not evil?

Chi and Divine powers exist. All wizards were destroyed (or thought to be if you want to base a campaign off of it) by an order of knights in an early age. Also, the game is a generic system meant for anything.

Lord Torath
2017-08-03, 01:30 PM
Are you asking for new creatures or existing creatures? Wild creatures? Civilized (or semi-civilized) creatures? Humanoids? Monstrous?

Existing, there are Flumphs, of course.
Phanatons are Good, I believe.
Elves are generally Chaotic Good. Halflings, Gnomes, and Dwarves are also generally Good.

Brownies, Pixies, and Sprites are usually Good, but they're also inherently magical.
Nymphs and Dryads.
Blink Dogs are Good (but again, magical).
There's also the Arch-lich, a Good-aligned lich which could certainly still be around somewhere if knights killed all the mages centuries ago (and would probably be very eager to take on an apprentice or two, given the opportunity).
Pseudodragons, certain varieties of Sphinx, certain true dragons...
Unicorns.

awa
2017-08-03, 01:52 PM
Gargoyles. Aside from the famous TV show, they tend to get lumped in with Team Evil for some reason, but they're supposed to be guardians of cathedrals. Give them bonuses against spectral or immaterial creatures and home-ground advantages.

I like this one, maybe make it so a group of them nesting on the buildings corners grants some kind of protective energy to those inside.

GorinichSerpant
2017-08-03, 07:39 PM
I like this one, maybe make it so a group of them nesting on the buildings corners grants some kind of protective energy to those inside.

If I remember correctly, gargoyles ward off evil creatures because they look scary. I would have them be good sentinels and either the strength to straight up fight the evil spirits or the ability to do the weeping angel routine on the creatures of the night.

Giant owl-like creatures with cat-like heads could live off eating the undead that they hunt.

Intelligent mice fight using guerrilla tactics against giant beasts threatening their homes.

Lizards that can sense when someone is lying, and will spit acid at those who do so with ill intent.

awa
2017-08-03, 08:44 PM
Wild Dogs that lead the souls of the dead to their proper place. The presence of one of these dogs prevents the body from rising from the grave or being animated, they can also free trapped souls. After doing their deed they eat the body. When confronted with actual undead their attacks deal bonus damage, ignore DR, prevent regeneration and can cause permanent destruction.

ATHATH
2017-08-03, 08:45 PM
Flumphs might work.

Inevitability
2017-08-04, 02:19 AM
Benevolent spirits are a classic. You could even add some worldbuilding where races tend to establish their settlements around places where such a spirit lives to enjoy its protection.

Green Elf
2017-08-22, 08:18 PM
Thanks guys!

KarlMarx
2017-08-23, 08:13 AM
A lot of world mythologies have many different good creatures, often acting as companions or guides to heroes--Pegasus is most famous, but there certainly are many more.

Leprechauns can be interpreted as whimsical guardians of ancient secrets and treasures, constantly hunted by evil PCs for said heroes and treasures.

The Couatl is a guardian of ancient, sacred places, and a beacon of hope for the future.

Shedu are man-headed lions that guard kings.

The trees at Dodona could speak and work magic to protect themselves & guide heroes, constructs and objects made of their wood gains similar properties.

The Myrmidones are a nation of warriors created from ants that fight for glory, but almost always for good causes.

Greater Cyclopes forge weapons and armor for good gods and heroes.

Barrow-wights guard the resting places of great heroes from desecration (use deathless statistics and they become much more thematic)

Vogie
2017-08-23, 01:41 PM
I like the idea of spirits that are vested into a certain people-group or area. These could be ancestors, nature spirits, fey,

You could also use a Swamp-Thing-esque version of elementals, where the elementals are protecting natural areas.

The Egyptian view of the Sphinx was a benevolent guardian of royal treasure or landmarks, similar to the Gargoyles spoken of above.

Mastikator
2017-08-23, 01:51 PM
Positive energy elementals could plausibly be good. Positive energy paraelementals too. Like a healing flame elemental that only hurt the undead, literally.

GungHo
2017-09-05, 01:55 PM
Not necessarily "good aligned", but a golem could be created as a protector, along with offshoots of clockwork men and other constructs. They also don't have to inevitably go out of control.

Thisguy_
2017-09-06, 12:51 AM
Forest spirits - or, giant friggin' animals inhabited by the literal spirits of entire forests with some natural tendencies to want to protect them.

I recently ran a fungal dragon in a 5e campaign, but shambling plants could be good forest guardians as well.

A Good counterpart to Harpies would be cool. Throw some Amazon in with them and what have you got? Well, I don't know, but I'd be tempted to call them Kestrels, personally, and drop some Falcon/Falco themes in there.

Lantern spirits to light the way for lost travelers. They're just opaque, ice-colored, floating lanterns. With blue fire.

CHERUBS. Something inspired by biblical cherubs. Everyone depicts them as babies with wings, but that's bull****. Their description in the christian bible is wild. They're like holy eldritch abominations!

Boar-men. Heads and necks like boars with huge tufts of hair covering the chest, and the rest is like a human. Proud tribal warriors with aggression issues!