PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Help me flesh out my Half-orc Acolyte Monk!

TheBirba
2017-07-31, 03:11 AM
Hello everyone,

I am playing Out of the Abyss and had to reroll a new character for story reasons, and I decided to roll a Half-Orc Monk (Way of the Shadows) with the Acolyte background. I would appreciate if anyone could help me flesh out his backstory to make it work in the current campaign.

We are currently stuck in the Underdark and the party is evil, so I basically need to come up with the following:
Which church is my char from? (Possibly church of an evil/neutral god with connections to the Underdark)
What’s his connection with the Underdark (he needs to be able to speak undercommon)?
What is his mission? (The idea was for him to sabotage a local organisation bent on vanquishing the evil forces of the Underdark).

Any input appreciated, let’s brainstorm!

xroads
2017-07-31, 09:19 AM
Is your character going to be a shadow monk (aka ninja)? If so, how about having him worship Bhaal, god of murder?

As for connection, what if as a young orc he participated in a battle against dwarves. Unfortunately his clan got slaughtered. He was wounded and forced to retreat by himself deep into the underdark. There he was ambushed by shadow monks of a dark monastery. Instead of killing him, they decided he had potential. So they shanghaied, brainwashed, and trained him to be one their members.

Scathain
2017-07-31, 09:46 AM
Hello everyone,

I am playing Out of the Abyss and had to reroll a new character for story reasons, and I decided to roll a Half-Orc Monk (Way of the Shadows) with the Acolyte background. I would appreciate if anyone could help me flesh out his backstory to make it work in the current campaign.

We are currently stuck in the Underdark and the party is evil, so I basically need to come up with the following:
Which church is my char from? (Possibly church of an evil/neutral god with connections to the Underdark)
What’s his connection with the Underdark (he needs to be able to speak undercommon)?
What is his mission? (The idea was for him to sabotage a local organisation bent on vanquishing the evil forces of the Underdark).

Any input appreciated, let’s brainstorm!

An easy, albeit cheap(ish) way to tie you to the Underdark would be to simply say you're half-Orog. Natural denizens of the Underdark, and their improved combat capabilities could be explained away by your monk abilities.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-07-31, 09:48 AM
There's the order of the Dark Moon- the church of Shar. It would be kinda fitting, IMHO

Herobizkit
2017-08-02, 05:23 AM
Shargaas is the orc deity of Darkness and Assassins.

Shargaas (SHAR-gas) the Night Lord is the orcish god of night and activities best kept hidden in darkness. As the Blade in the Darkness, he is the patron of orcish thievery, stealth, and assassination; stealing the power, lives, and treasure of rivals to further his own goals. He is also the Stalker Below, the god of the deepest underdark reaches in which orcs dwell, as well as the representation of the danger that lurks there. He hates all life other than orcs, and is a force of swift and hidden death, preferring to use a blade from behind rather than coming face-to-face with a foe.

Take Undercommon as one of your two bonus languages from Acolyte.

You're essentially a cult member. Act like one. :)

Specter
2017-08-02, 07:37 AM
Why not worship Gruumsh, the god of orcs? That way you could be selling enslaved elves to the drow themselves.