PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Possible Variant Human Arcana Cleric build

ZorroGames
2017-07-31, 10:10 AM
Just because it sounds interesting.

And because it would fit the role play of a clerical character interested, nay obsessed, with all forms of spell casting.

Mechanics:

ST 10
CO 14
DE 14
IN 08
WI 15+1 = 16
CH 15+1 = 16

Yes I proudly used this from the Devout and the Dead Guide!

Insight, Persuasion
Mace, Scale (possibly Leather,) Dagger, Priest's Pack, Shield, Holy Symbol
Background: Sage - Researcher
Languages Draconic, Sylvan
Arcana, History

Feat: Magic Initiate - here is where I am open to guidance on deciding between -

Sorcerer (Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost and Shield)

Druid (Shillelagh, Poison Spray and Good Berry or Entangle)

and because of the CH score possibly

Warlock (Eldritch Blast, True Strike and AoA)

or Bard (Mage Hand, Vicious Mockery and either Disguise Self, Sleep, or Tasha's Hideous Laughter)

I am liking this SCAG class more and more as I read/think about it.

8wGremlin
2017-07-31, 03:29 PM
Hi ZorroGames,

There was a thread a while ago that addressed this very issue -

We came up with our standard Arcane cleric build. (PHB + SCAG)

Arcane Cleric Vhuman Wis > Con, Dex=14
Wear Medium armour and a shield (AC = 18, holy symbol on shield)
Take: Booming Blade and Chill Touch or Ray of Frost* (both are now cleric cantrips and key of Wis)
Feat: Magic Initiate (Druid)
- Take Shillelagh (keys of Wis) & Thorn whip** as cantrips
- Take Absorb Elements or Longstrider*** as your 1st level

Just keep going to Cleric 8 - where you now get your Wis mod to damage on cleric cantrips (Booming blade and Ray of Frost amongst others.) You can get Warcaster at 4th level you can now Booming blade as a reaction. Then pump Wis, it's the only stat you need.

* Chill Touch has 120 ft range and does necrotic and can stop healing, and has a nice undead rider effect, Ray of frost has only 60' range but has some control as slowing them down.
** Thorn whip again can be used for control, pulling combatants off squishier teammates, or even into hazardous areas
*** Absorb elements is a reaction that halves the incoming elemental damage, and adds a bonus to your next attack, and is situationally more useful Long strider gives you +10' movement for an hour, no concentration.

We looked at the spell lists and tried to take spells that gave us versatility, as well as range, and something to do with reactions when we needed it.

Your spells choices are ok, be careful with things like true strike (very sub par when you realise you can't cast it and use it in the same round), also with the Arcana Domain Cleric you only really need to bump Wis and can leave the the other stats as they are.

If you went with the sorcerer, or warlock you'll have to diversify your ASI to cover both Wis and Cha, as well as feats.
I'm currently playing an Arcana cleric and it's great fun, very versatile.

I've taken, warcaster, ritual caster (wizard), and am looking to max my Wis now.

Good luck and I hope you fun with your Arcana Cleric!

Finieous
2017-07-31, 03:33 PM
ST 10
CO 14
DE 14
IN 08
WI 15+1 = 16
CH 15+1 = 16

Rolled stats, I take it? Because that's 34 points...

lunaticfringe
2017-07-31, 03:49 PM
Absorb Elements is a Solid spell but I would point out it may be a sketchy choice until you get Warcaster. It's a Somatic component spell, you technically can't cast it while holding a weapon & shield without a feat investment.

Depends on how hand waivy your DM is.

ZorroGames
2017-07-31, 03:58 PM
Rolled stats, I take it? Because that's 34 points...

Nope, Copy paste error, plus typo.

ST 10
CO 14 + 1 = 15
DE 14
IN 08
WI 15 + 1 = 16
CH 10

Skip comments about CH spells. There was on same page of character Designs notebook with CO 10 and CH 15 + 1 = 16.

My eyes looked at wrong columns shifting back and forth from iPad screen and notebook. Sigh, twice.

The CO 10 and CH 15 plus 1 has lower HPs but does open up Bard, Sorceror or Warlock options. That would a even less melee oriented build.

Given that my earlier Mountain Dwarf Monk was the only "martial" class for early AL games (wizard, warlock, sorceror, "sneaky" rogue studiously avoiding melee, ranger ditto, and my monk first game, seems downright normal right now,) I quit worrying about being the meat shield. One martial cannot stop everything in the wilderness.

But given a Life Cleric, a Paladin, a Dwarf Barbarian, a Great Axe Human Fighter, and another Monk have shown up recently (if we have two players show in consecutive weeks I count that as a moral victory) I feel like there may be potential for a regular party (or two) to finally gel.

If not and all the AL games continue to be random party pickup type games I might as well play something more creative than my usual meat shield Fighter or Monk characters.

ZorroGames
2017-07-31, 04:03 PM
Absorb Elements is a Solid spell but I would point out it may be a sketchy choice until you get Warcaster. It's a Somatic component spell, you technically can't cast it while holding a weapon & shield without a feat investment.

Depends on how hand waivy your DM is.

Yeah, my correct build for this (see above) was a WI based caster using melee as a last resort type character. Mace stays in the belt loop as long as possible. I am tired if being the only melee character in the party (see instability of gaming group above too.)

ZorroGames
2017-07-31, 04:18 PM
Someone suggested the Devout and the Dead WI based stats of:

15 + 1 = 16
13 + 1 = 14
That opens up using Bard, Sorceror or Warlock with Magic Initiate Feat as options.

I like that too. Just try and stay away from concentration spells as much as possible until Warcaster or Resilient CO available I guess.

lunaticfringe
2017-07-31, 04:52 PM
Yeah, my correct build for this (see above) was a WI based caster using melee as a last resort type character. Mace stays in the belt loop as long as possible. I am tired if being the only melee character in the party (see instability of gaming group above too.)

Aye, I played mine mid fielder with Ritualist Wizard for a Familiar (an Owl, hooray for Flyby) so I could Bad Touch (I loves Inflict Wounds & Contagion) & heal at range. I never hit anything in melee but I did Shocking Grasp and run a few times.

My thing about Absorb was really just a warning/rules clarification.

8wGremlin
2017-07-31, 05:27 PM
Lunaticfringe, yeah Ritual Caster (wizard) for familiar is incredibly useful, I too have an owl familiar to deliver ranged healing, as well as other touch spells.

The other benefit is the dispel magic on a heal, which has saved the party a number of times.

I am often upfront, due to our fighter wanting to be an archer, and our rogue being the sneaky assassin type, so unfortunately our front line consists of me, and our moon druid.

Booming blade + shillelagh is great.
If they do move you can also pull them back with thornwhip.

Foxhound438
2017-08-01, 01:33 AM
I would personally go druid, pick up shillelagh there and one of the SCAG attack cantrips for your arcane initiate deal, so you can have a very strong, purely wisdom based plan in melee. I'd drop poison spray though for some kind of utility cantrip, since at level 8 when you get wis mod to cleric cantrip damage the 2d12 poison at very limited range won't be able to compete with even sacred flame at 2d8+4 (or more). Early it would still be lackluster compared to scag attack cantrip, since it's 1d12 (6.5) at 1st compared to a shillelagh'd booming blade at 1d8+3 (7.5). For the 1st level spell it's got to be entangle, restraining an area is too good to pass up, and without life cleric boosting goodberry is a very lackluster healing option, being only useful out of combat and doing barely better than a cure wounds anyway.

ZorroGames
2017-08-01, 07:44 AM
I would personally go druid, pick up shillelagh there and one of the SCAG attack cantrips for your arcane initiate deal, so you can have a very strong, purely wisdom based plan in melee. I'd drop poison spray though for some kind of utility cantrip, since at level 8 when you get wis mod to cleric cantrip damage the 2d12 poison at very limited range won't be able to compete with even sacred flame at 2d8+4 (or more). Early it would still be lackluster compared to scag attack cantrip, since it's 1d12 (6.5) at 1st compared to a shillelagh'd booming blade at 1d8+3 (7.5). For the 1st level spell it's got to be entangle, restraining an area is too good to pass up, and without life cleric boosting goodberry is a very lackluster healing option, being only useful out of combat and doing barely better than a cure wounds anyway.

A use of MI for Druid is in my hardcopy notes so I have no dislike for grabbing some Druidic abilities/spells when it fits the character, even if full bore druid has no attraction for me. Very seriously interesting suggestion. It fits the character obsession about spell casting. Thanks.

FWIW I really have no plans to "go 20" in my play for any characters, since local parties heading that way are "invitation only" and I am a bit Groucho Marx in that respect.

The original post was inspired by the idea that I was interested in playing a Cleric different from my OD&D/AD&D-1st era bash and turn undead characters. Arcana Cleric inspired a greatly appealing character for role play (hyper optimizing a character is less appealling than a strong role play and competent mechanically character to me.)

My past characters were the above type Human or Dwarf Clerics, Human or Dwarf Fighters, (1) Female Human Wizard, (1) Human Monk, and a Dwarf Fighter/Thief. My main (only active) 5e character is a Mountain Dwarf Monk but I am looking to expand my horizons into Fighters and Clerics in the future. Humans and Dwarf characters mostly, possibly a Wood Elf.

I will seriously take into consideration you comments on spells as a jumping off place for reviewing spell selection. I do appreciate your advice.

Off to get my copy of SCAG after I get back from doctor.

ZorroGames
2017-08-01, 07:55 AM
I do not think AI allows druid but MI will work. Should have brought my books to the appointment... no, probably inappropriate priorities down that road.

Foxhound438
2017-08-01, 04:20 PM
I was referring to MI when I said "go druid", that was probably a little less that perfectly clear.

ZorroGames
2017-08-02, 07:42 AM
I was referring to MI when I said "go druid", that was probably a little less that perfectly clear.

Not a problem, Druid as MI would play off the WI of such a build very nicely, pondering future possibilities.

DM failed to show (family) so organizer ran "prequel" for four if us! New record, 4 same players two weeks in a row!! Would have been five but one young man started football practice for his school, miss 1 practice first week(s) don't play in first game.

The no show DM locks down (stopped mid melee in dungeon due to shop closing) starting a new character another week, time to plan.

DizzyWood
2017-08-02, 09:18 AM
Lunaticfringe

The other benefit is the dispel magic on a heal, which has saved the party a number of times.

AFB atm is that exclusive to the Arcana cleric? I

lunaticfringe
2017-08-02, 11:11 AM
AFB atm is that exclusive to the Arcana cleric? I

Yup, Spell Breaker the level 6 feature.

DizzyWood
2017-08-02, 12:35 PM
Yup, Spell Breaker the level 6 feature.

Right ok! Duah... SO MANY CLERIC OPTIONS!!!