PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Pure Revised Ranger or Revised Ranger / Cleric?

jaappleton
2017-07-31, 10:26 AM
Making an Archer character, and I've hit an impasse.

I start at level 6.

I've yet to decide on a Ranger archetype. Likely VHuman for the Feat, getting Crossbow Expert, with Deep Stalker so I can get Darkvision.

Ranger 6 gets me Greater Favored Enemy. Our campaign is heavily focused on Goblinkind, so doing +4 damage against Humanoids is pretty appealing.

However, I was thinking of starting Ranger 5 / Forge Cleric 1. This adds Shield, Bless and Healing Word to my spell list, and essentially gets me +1 Armor, and going Ranger again at character level 7 so get the extra +2 to damage from Greater Favored Enemy, plus it gets me a couple Cantrips.

I also start with a Rare Item and one Uncommon Item. So I could start with a Cloak of Displacement, +1 Hand Crossbow and +1 Armor (via Forge) if I wanted to. Or a +2 Hand Crossbow, +1 Armor, and Cloak of Protection.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-31, 11:40 AM
I'd go with whatever archetype fits the image of your character. But if you just want mechanical options I might go with Monster Slayer or Deep Stalker. Monster slayer if you think the campaign will deal with more exotic things than goblins, or if it may have a few caster enemies. But Deep Stalker is good all around and especially if you're just gonna be hunting goblins he entire campaign (weird campaign, but i've just played a one shot like that, though with a gnome soulknife).

Hunter wouldn't be bad either, but the other options are more melee inclined.

Specter
2017-07-31, 02:50 PM
I recommend a Cleric dip.

Forge gets you Shield, which is good even by itself. But you should also consider Life, for the 4hp goodberries you can make with it.

djreynolds
2017-07-31, 03:03 PM
Cleric adds a lot. Good spell selection. Lots of great utility. Wouldn't hurt. Protection from evil is nice to have access to. Having prepared spells is nice to have.

tieren
2017-07-31, 03:28 PM
War cleric gets you the +10 to hit channel divinity that can combo really well with Sharp Shooter for when you really need that hit.

jaappleton
2017-07-31, 05:38 PM
War cleric gets you the +10 to hit channel divinity that can combo really well with Sharp Shooter for when you really need that hit.

I'm actually against the Sharpshooter Feat for this build. If I were dipping Light Cleric to get Faerie Fire, I'd do it.

For this build, and for Revised Rangers in general, I'm a big proponent of stacking the static modifier as high as it can go, and utilizing a high number of attacks.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-01, 11:25 AM
Deepstalker Revised Ranger is awesome. With Resilient Constitution it can work as a single class, but dips are still great for Rangers.

I like 2 levels in fighter so I can action surge on the first round of combat when I have advantage on my attacks. With Hunters mark adding to those attacks, it's just gravy.

But like you say Forge Cleric clearly has some very nice goodies.

jaappleton
2017-08-01, 01:02 PM
I'm going back and forth between Hunter, Deep Stalker, and Horizon Walker.

Honestly, only Horizon Walker's lv7 appeals to me. That's the only thing I love about that Archetype. Am I chained? Etherealness. Running away from enemies? Etherealness, and go through a solid wall. Sneaking around? Etherealness.

Hunter? I'd like go Horde Breaker at 3 and Multiattack Defense at 7. My DM likes to throw high numbers of weaker enemies at us, so any time multiple enemies are focused on my Paladin Tank ally, I'd like to be able to get them off of him.

Deep Stalker... I LOVE getting Darkvision on a VHuman, so I can have 18 Dex with Crossbow Expert at lv4. Proficiency in Wisdom Saves at 7 is nothing to shake a stick at, that's pretty nice.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-01, 02:06 PM
I'm going back and forth between Hunter, Deep Stalker, and Horizon Walker.

Honestly, only Horizon Walker's lv7 appeals to me. That's the only thing I love about that Archetype. Am I chained? Etherealness. Running away from enemies? Etherealness, and go through a solid wall. Sneaking around? Etherealness.

Hunter? I'd like go Horde Breaker at 3 and Multiattack Defense at 7. My DM likes to throw high numbers of weaker enemies at us, so any time multiple enemies are focused on my Paladin Tank ally, I'd like to be able to get them off of him.

Deep Stalker... I LOVE getting Darkvision on a VHuman, so I can have 18 Dex with Crossbow Expert at lv4. Proficiency in Wisdom Saves at 7 is nothing to shake a stick at, that's pretty nice.

Deepstalker is still my favorite. You get dark vision on a human or other race that doesn't have it, or expanded range for it on a race with it. Wisdom save proficiency is nice. The bonus spells are all great, but my favorite is the simple benefit of the added 10ft of movement and 1 attack on the first turn of combat. That's likely to be 1 more attack with advantage ever single combat. It works great with SS or even GWM.

In fact the idea of a highly mobile skirmisher hitting things early, hard, and often with a Greatsword is what appeals so much to me. The strategy works even better with a bow, I just like to get up close and personal with my enemies.