PDA

View Full Version : Leadership feat

schreier
2017-07-31, 11:07 AM
I've been playing around with the leadership feat - and had historically read that the "character level" referenced in the base leadership score was the actual character level, not the effective character level. This always felt a little unbalanced, as the cohort's level was based on the their ECL. Also - the calculation on experience referenced level, and that is usually based on ECL.

Now - obviously Leadership is a potentially cheesy feat, so that could just be some balancing.

Recently, I was reading the "Legendary Captain" prestige class in Stormwrack. One of their abilities is to increase leadership by up to +10 (+2 every other level, capping at +10 at level 10). The text to the ability says:

Leadership: At 2nd level, you gain a +2 bonus to your effective character level for purposes of the Leadership feat to attract followers. This bonus increases to +4 at 4th level, +6 at 6th level, +8 at 8th level, and +10 at 10th level

Now, they could have said "base leadership score" or even just "character level," but they explicitly say effective character level. This could also just be bad editing ...

What do people think? I know this issue is often debated, although the answer I have seen has consistently leaned towards actual character level, not effective.