PDA

View Full Version : Palaficer?

Afgncaap5
2017-07-31, 06:19 PM
Any thoughts on a good way to present a character who's a cross between a Paladin and an Artificer?

I was doing some Greyhawk reading and came to the description of Murlynd and the character who played him in real life, and there's a lot of fun there beyond what I knew before (which was basically that a kind of Spoon is named for him.) An online article described him as a Paladin who was also a bit of an artificer, and while artificer (and paladin, really) can be a job instead of a class, it got me to thinking.

So before I turn to SoP and make a casting tradition based on technology and serving a higher power, I thought I'd see what people have in mind here. I feel like there are some things that would work together between the two classes, but I'm also not sure if any of the synergies I have in mind would be viable.

Hackulator
2017-07-31, 06:21 PM
You can make a Lawful Good Artificer who fights in melee using magic enhancements and then uses various items to simulate other paladin abilities. Would almost certainly be far superior at Paladining than a Paladin.

Deadline
2017-07-31, 07:00 PM
Assuming Paladin as a class isn't required, then you could probably build a crafting focused Crusader/Wizard/Jade Phoenix Mage that could do quite well. Assuming your DM is cool with it, it wouldn't be a tremendous stretch to switch infusions and their progression in for spells in the requirements for JPM.

Fouredged Sword
2017-07-31, 07:14 PM
Perhaps an artificer who goes prc paladin with it progressing his unique casting by dm fait. I would allow it.

NecroDancer
2017-07-31, 07:43 PM
A paladin 2/artificer X isn't bad due to divine grace.

Silva Stormrage
2017-07-31, 08:10 PM
Ya a pure artificer who fluffs his infusions as coming from a divine source would be a very flavorful and stronger build than pure paladin.

Classes as constructs was never an idea that I particularly liked though.

Diovid
2017-08-01, 01:11 AM
Warforged have racial substitution levels for both the Paladin and the Artificer, maybe you could use that?