PDA

View Full Version : Gigantoth [Creature]

Paragon Badger
2007-08-09, 06:12 AM
Originally designed as a plot device for my ponderings about Aeuroth, I thought to myself, 'What if, for whatever ungodly reason, the PCs, or an evil army with airships/great wizards/ect. decided to take on the planet's children?'

And thus, the stats for the Gigantoth were born. ;-)

Gigantoth

Collosal Elder
Hit Dice: 100d100 + 4800 (9800 HP)
Initiative: -4
Speed: Two feet may move 15 ft. (3 squares) a turn.
Armor Class: 60 (-8 size, +58 natural), touch 2, flat-footed 60
Base Attack/Grapple: --/--
Attack: None
Full Attack: None
Space/Reach: *
Special Attacks: Desperate Call, Squish, Swallow Whole
Special Qualities: Aquatic Form, Cannot Grapple, Damage Resistence (8/-), Immunity to Death Magic, Polymorphing, Petrification, Energy Drain, and Ability Damage, Fast Healing(30), Sleepskin, Spell Resistence(18)
Saves: Fort +97, Ref -20, Will +33
Abilities: 76 Str , 6 Dex , 106 Con , 12 Int , 10 Wis , 13 Cha
Skills: Survival +18
Feats: None
Environment: Desert, Forest, Mountains, or Ocean Floor
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 60
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral Good
Advancement: None

Description/background/characteristics

The Gigantoth is 300 feet long and 100 feet tall at shoulder length, and it weighs about 300 tons. It's hide is thick and flabby, but with rock-like bumps adorning it. It has two green eyes, about 15 feet in diameter, two hare-like ears (although smaller in preportion), four legs, and a long, thick, tail which is about 100 feet long. Its color depends on its environment, usually matching the surroundings. Overall, it's body shape resembles a fur-less bear on four legs, with three large fingers on each leg, each one resembling a herbavore dinosaur's. It's face resembles a rhinosaurus without horns, but less elongated.

The Gigantoth can speak, but generally does so at such a slow speed that it cannot be understood. It is often mistaken for a rythmatic animalistic moan. Likewise, It cannot understand any other creature's speech by normal means, as it merely sounds like high pitched squeeking to the Gigantoth. However, the Gigantoth has a rudimentary sense of the emotions, feelings, and thoughts of the creatures around, or directly on, it. It can pick up heavy emotions provided that a signifigant amount of creatures are experiencing the same emotion.

Because of its natural magneticism, the gigantoth can be found with many animals of that environment, including a few unusual ones. It is a living, walking, breathing ecosystem. Small birds flutter around and make nests on the Gigantoth, even some large ones like Rocs. In the ocean; whales, sharks, fish, barnacles, and other creatures live off the Gigantoth's body.

Oddly enough, it seems that the Gigantoth never needs to eat, despite its size. Some theorize that the Gigantoth makes its own food, much like a plant.

*The Gigantoth is almost always in motion, so only it's feet touch the ground. Each of it's four feet is 20 wide in all directions. A forward leg must never be more than 85 feet away from a hind leg. And a hind leg must never be more than 55 feet away from another hind leg, and the same applies for two foreward legs. When using a leg as a squish attack, the Gigantoth has a reach of 30 ft. in any direction.

In the rare (yet prolonged) event that a Gigantoth becomes stationary, it folds its legs, lowers its head, and its belly touches the ground. At this point, it can be travelled upon as if it was just a gradually sloping hill with a few (1d4) steep slopes of minor difficulty. (Climb DC: 10)

Aquatic Form
The Gigantoth can, at will, change it's subtype to aquatic (but does not gain a swim speed, it walks along the surface of the ocean floor). It takes about 2d12 days to complete the transformation. At which point, it's skin slowly turns to a bluish green hue, and the Gigantoth's anatomy changes to fit its new form. During the entire transformation, the Gigantoth is counted as an amphibious creature, and must submerse at least half of its body for 6 hours every 3 days. Due to the difficulty for the Gigantoth to preform this, most will only wander or sleep in one environment. It can, of course, change back to its regular form, provided it transforms again.

Sleepskin:

As the Gigantoth sleeps; plants, moss, rocks, sand, or other natural features begin to grow atop the Gigantoth's hide at an accelerated rate, eventually making it indistinguishable from the surrounding environment. Most of these traits will die or fall off a few weeks after the Gigantoth is in motion again.

The Gigantoth gains a +1d12 bonus to its Hide check if it remains inactive for a month while in a desert, forest, aquatic, or mountanous environment. This bonus is cumulative for each month it stays inactive. Additionally, the Gigantoth gains Damage Reduction (20/-) after 1d4 months of inactivity.

Depending on its environment, the Gigantoth also gains bonuses for where it sleeps. Animals of that environment are naturally drawn to it while the Gigantoth is in motion, but the attraction to the great beast is multiplied when it stays still.

Combat

The Gigantoth takes two rounds to complete any action except a move, instant or free action.

The Gigantoth cannot grapple, and cannot be grappled. It's scales can be climbed however. (Carapace DC: 15, Belly/Neck DC: 40)

Desperate Call:
If the Gigantoth feels like it is in extreme danger, it moans loudly, simultaneously sending out a empathetic call to all the wildlife within a 1d4 mile radius. All fey within the call's reach will move as fast as they can to help the Gigantoth.

The amount of animals and type depends on the environment. Only HD7 or higher animals will awnser the call. Additionally, a group of animals whose HD excedes 7 will awnser the call as well (Such as a large pack of wolves) Each turn, 1d8-1 medium animals arrive, 1d6-2 large animals, 1d4-2 huge animals, and 1d4-3 gargantuan animals arrive. (If the roll is below 1, after modifiers, no animals of that type arrive that turn.)

A maximum of 4 gargantuan, 8 huge, 16 large, and 32 medium sized animals can awnser the call. The call lasts for [(Radius of Call in miles)*4] rounds. The Gigantoth can call again in 1d8 rounds, but the amount of creatures coming to its aid cannot excede the number above.

Also, depending on the environment, there is a chance that a few nearby druids or rangers will come to the Gigantoth's aid. The chances of that are left to the DM's disgression, based on location.

Squish Attack:
The Gigantoth raises its foot and lowers it... ontop of you. The Gigantoth selects a 20 by 20 foot area to stomp. If there are any creatures/objects larger than fine in that area, they take 753d6 (Average: 2259) bludgeoning damage for being squished. Any items that grants damage resistence to bludgeoning damage are instantly destroyed, the magic being unable to cope with the sheer force of the Gigantoth's foot.

The Gigantoth can only squish airborne objects that are below 30 feet in altitude, but they take the same amount of damage for being 'carried' to the ground on the Gigantoth's foot.

Whenever the Gigantoth's foot hits the ground on a hard location (Non-desert), a small earthquake erupts, with a 40 ft. radius from the location of impact.

The shock knocks creatures down, collapses structures, opens cracks in the ground, and more. The effect lasts for 1 round, during which time creatures on the ground can’t move or attack. A spellcaster on the ground must make a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level) or lose any spell he or she tries to cast. The earthquake affects all terrain, vegetation, structures, and creatures in the area. The specific effect of an earthquake spell depends on the nature of the terrain where it is cast.

Cave, Cavern, or Tunnel
The Gigantoth's foot has a 50% chance of collapsing the roof, dealing 8d6 points of bludgeoning damage to any creature caught under the cave-in (Reflex DC 15 half) and pinning that creature beneath the rubble (see below). An earthquake erupting on the roof of a very large cavern could also endanger those outside the actual area but below the falling debris.

Cliffs
Earthquake causes a cliff to crumble, creating a landslide that travels horizontally as far as it fell vertically. Any creature in the path takes 8d6 points of bludgeoning damage (Reflex DC 15 half) and is pinned beneath the rubble (see below).

Open Ground
Each creature standing in the area must make a DC 15 Reflex save or fall down. No fissures, as in supernatural spell 'Earthquake' are created.

Structure
Any structure standing on open ground takes 5d20 points of damage. Hardness does not reduce this damage, nor is it halved as damage dealt to objects normally is. Any creature caught inside a collapsing structure takes 8d6 points of bludgeoning damage (Reflex DC 15 half) and is pinned beneath the rubble (see below).

River, Lake, or Marsh
Fissures open underneath the water (due to the soil's less durable nature), draining away the water from that area and forming muddy ground. Soggy marsh or swampland becomes quicksand for the duration of the spell, sucking down creatures and structures. Each creature in the area must make a DC 15 Reflex save or sink down in the mud and quicksand. At the end of the spell, the rest of the body of water rushes in to replace the drained water, possibly drowning those caught in the mud.

Pinned beneath Rubble
Any creature pinned beneath rubble takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage per minute while pinned. If a pinned character falls unconscious, he or she must make a DC 15 Constitution check or take 1d6 points of lethal damage each minute thereafter until freed or dead.

Every time the Gigantoth moves its foot to another location, it is counted as a Squish attack. The Gigantoth, while massive and powerful, is suprisingly cautious. It avoids hard ground where its feet would cause tremors, prefering to stay in the Desert or Ocean (where the tremors are less likely to impact the wildlife). Most Gigantoths who live in an environment other than the desert or ocean are presumed to have been resting there for thousands, perhaps millions of years- thus, the environment could have changed around them as they were sleeping. They are loathe to leave these areas for that reason, and would only do so if it was dying and needed to flee, at which point it becomes enraged, trampling over even towns and cities to find its way to a safe location, presumebly the nearest ocean.

Swallow Whole
The Gigantoth can try to swallow an opponent of Huge or smaller size by selecting a 30 by 30 foot area and an altitude 'range' of 30 feet, if any objects are in that area on the next turn, they are swallowed. Once inside, the opponent takes 1d12+4 (Reflex save for half, DC: 15) points of crushing damage plus 1 points of acid damage per minute from the Gigantoth’s digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 300 points of damage to the Gigantoth’s digestive tract (AC 25). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. The Gigantoth’s gullet can hold 4 Huge, 8 Large, 64 Medium, 256 Small, or 1024 Tiny or smaller creatures.

The Gigantoth cannot Swallow Whole an object whose altitude excedes 135 feet, the height at which the Gigantoth's head may extend.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Its skin is meant to be rather soft if Natural Armor is ignored, but perhaps I should add Damage Reduction... I mean, the thing IS meant to be stoppable, provided that someone invested an epic amount of resources to take it down.

Although, even then, it may or may not have a group of human defenders. ;-) I haven't decided its role, if any, in the story yet... I'm thinking it's simply one of the oldest beings on the planet, and a mysterious one, at that. It may or may not have a little town (or even a city) planted on it's back. (It's friendly enough to not mind (or maybe notice?) that a bunch of people plant stakes into it's skin to keep their houses from falling off it's back. ;-)) But I think that might be cheesy... Hmmm.

Nawyria
2007-08-09, 06:23 AM
You forgot to add bonus hit points due to a high constitution score.
Furthermore, try to think how much this creature would weigh. Use 1/4 of this weight and apply the fall damage rules for this when determining the amount of damage a foot does when it squishes an opponent.
Next, Damage reductions does seem applicable to me, since this is obviously a creature either composed of sand, or otherwise composed of hard rock, it's bound to have a good deal of damage reduction (consider object hardness or immunity to piercing/slashing).
Also, it would be quite cool to see these creatures have special qualities. Think about creating earth elementals or the ability to produce earthquakes with its feet (imagine a few tons worth of creature dropping down on the ground next to you).
Lasty, how are you going to assign a challenge rating to this thing?

Paragon Badger
2007-08-09, 06:39 AM
As I said, this thing was more a plot device than anything... But you're comments are rather helpful. I'll look into them when I'm not so abhorrently tired. :smalltongue: Number crunching for HP bonus is going to be nightmarish. ;-) I should have done it when I figured out what it's Fortitude save would be...

That is a rather good idea about the fall damage... I never thought of using it in that way before. ;-) I'll have to peruse through the PHB or DMG for that information...

And yeah, once I take a good sleep, I'll work on damage reduction... I conceived it's skin as being rather flabby (but with many rock-like bumps), but difficult to penetrate to reach actual muscle tissue or somesuch... I'll look through object hardness again...

Hmmm... Special qualities... It's supposed to be basically a giant land whale that was not created via evolutionary processes, but still not created by anything spectacularly magical. Still trying to find out how that works... ;-) Maybe something spiritual, druidic-like, since they are called "Children of the Planet"

A challenge rating would be tough... since I would expect only a signifigant army with epic characters and technology could collectively tackle it. I suppose these things are kind of like Weapons from Final Fantasy 7, except much more docile... and... no laser beams... :-P

Expect some edits within the next 48 hours....hopefully. :-P

Nawyria
2007-08-09, 08:28 AM
Hmmm... Special qualities... It's supposed to be basically a giant land whale that was not created via evolutionary processes, but still not created by anything spectacularly magical. Still trying to find out how that works... ;-) Maybe something spiritual, druidic-like, since they are called "Children of the Planet"
Reminds me of the Ancient creatures from the Warcraft Universe. I suppose these might have the ability to conjure spirits or use the call nature's ally ability as a spell-like ability. Sounds cool to me.

psycojester
2007-08-09, 08:47 AM
Finally we have the stats for a Dire Sloth.

Demented
2007-08-09, 03:22 PM
What does it look like?
Aside from having four legs, a head, and being big.

Paragon Badger
2007-08-09, 04:06 PM
Edit'd!

Description included. A 'Nature's Ally' like effect that I tried to make not magical in nature, and more...nautral. ;-)

Con bonus to HP added. Squish attack now resembles falling damage. It's now a multi-environment creature (even though only one is active, and after millenia of inactivity, the others are probably invisible by now.)

It's squish attack causes an earthquake like the cleric/druid spell, but it is not magical in nature, and thus less powerful. No giant chasms. ;-)

Challenge rating is still... I dunno. :-/

Iethloc
2007-08-09, 04:58 PM
Wow. That's a few too many HD for most methods. But its CR might be 423.

Well, if it had a city on its back that was composed entirely of epic level characters, they might be able to take it out.

Also, I think its bonus HP should be 4800, not 4700.

DanielLC
2007-08-09, 06:21 PM
How often can it do desperate call? If it wasn't for that, it could be taken out in less than a man-year of constant unarmed attacking. It's to slow to attack you. You'd only be able to attack it every couple turns, though. Is there anything with a high enough attack roll to deal damage not on a natural 20? If not, the army attacking it would be composed mostly of first level commoners, because they could fight it as well as anyone.

Couldn't you just take a vorpal weapon and kill it in about 400 turns? There are more realistic ways to defeat it, such as a sphere of annihilation, or the putting a portable hole in a bag of holding trick. Either should be able to get through his natural armor and allow a more direct attack. Also, once you're on top of it, it can't directly attack you, and you don't have to worry about dodging. Would an area effect do extra damage based on size? It seems like if it will damage each five-foot section of a wall separately, the same would go for a creature. You can cast baneful polymorph until the gigantoth gets a natural 1, then use a sphere of annihilation or put a demiplane into another one. A polymorph any object can be done permanently on it so long as it gets a natural 1. I don't know if it retains its HP, but if it does, just light it on fire for a few weeks. You can also cast imprisonment on it and try to keep anyone from casting freedom on that spot.

The largest monster I can find (and gauge its size) is the Xixecal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#xixecal), which looks about 12 times as tall as an old white dragon, which is huge. This would put the hight of the Xixecal from 96 to 192 feet tall. If it's eight times as tall as it is from its front to its back, and it's hight to width ratio is twice that of a gigantoth (it's standing upright in the picture) that would make a gigantoth about 6 to to 48 times its size. It has about five times its HP. The Xixecal has a CR of 36. Base the CR off of that.

Paragon Badger
2007-08-10, 02:03 AM
Edit'd!

Made it immune to some more things, like polymorph, petrification, and such... On account of it being just so large and created from/with the earth itself...

Perhaps the Elder racial type will grant it such bonuses normally. Not sure yet.

Wow, did not expect so many people to try and figure out ways to kill it, since it's a good aligned monster and all, and merely a plot device. ;-)

But that's good, it's gets me thinking more.

Perhaps if someone cast haste on it, and someone cast slow on themselves, communication might be possible... Hmmm.

I can't seem to find the rules for area of effect damage on larger objects... Is it in the DMG II, I haven't fully explored those labyrthian 'II' books. >_>

And, admittadly, this is the first time I've ever homebrewed an 'epic challenge' monster. I'm much more used to smaller things. :smallyuk:

Actually, it's given me quite a good launching pad idea for Aeuroth..

Darke
2007-08-10, 05:03 AM
I played a game with a mention/ view of this, and the evil sorcerer tried to kill it.